PDA

View Full Version : Yarn Recommendation

rozaroni
12-08-2005, 10:51 AM
After years of avoiding them, I'm going to take the plunge and make myself a simple roll brim hat. I'd appreciate hearing recommendations for a worsted weight yarn that will not rip my hair out. I have dreadlocks, there is the potential for painful removal if my hair gets too friendly with the yarn in the hat - imagine how an eyebrow wax would feel. Now imagine that feeling across your entire head!

I'd like to use something smooth - in fact, I was leaning towards Karabella Aurora 8 - but I'm thinking that a wool/silk blend might be better. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

tigger0229
12-08-2005, 11:47 AM
oh my, someone on this bb had a gorgeous felt hat. Hopefully they will post it again. not sure what yarn was used.

kemp
12-08-2005, 11:56 AM
a felted hat would be a good idea since all the little holes and possibility of catching hair would be avoided. I would think though anything really soft and slippery would make the fabric less likely to "grab" your dreads.

nicolethegeek
12-08-2005, 01:07 PM
One of my best friends has dreads and all his hats are either cotton or acrylic... he only wears hats in the winter though, most of the time he's got a do-rag on.

candicane
12-08-2005, 02:25 PM
I am making a hat out of Plymouth 100% Baby Alpaca. It is super soft and has a silky texture. Also might want to look at a alpaca/silk mix.

Candice

rebecca
12-08-2005, 02:28 PM
Perhaps Knitpicks' Andean Silk (http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/yarn_display.aspx?itemid=5420126)?!

rozaroni
12-09-2005, 11:22 AM
Thanks everyone! Since this will be my first time knitting w/DPN's, I'm gonna try a "practice" hat with acrylic first and then move on to another yarn for the final product. I'm going to my LYS today to fondle some yarns.