PDA

View Full Version : Tips for beginners?

yee
12-10-2005, 11:37 AM
Hi all!

I'm a total knitting newbie and need some advice on how to get started. Any suggestions on needles/yarn?

I'd love to make the elongated stitch scarf on the Getting Started page but wonder if this might be too much for a beginner?

Help! :D

-Yee

KellyK
12-10-2005, 12:18 PM
If you like it, you should DO it.

I think its a good pattern, actually...isnt it knit on bigger needles?

My advice is to make the best use of this here website! If you have trouble with a pattern, check out the "Abbreviations Explained" tab, above, or ask your question on the forums....check out all the videos! Amy taught me and thousands of others to knit...Im glad you found us!

Tamar Dohel
12-10-2005, 01:55 PM
Yes, Kelly is very right. I'm a complete begginer too but since joining this website I feel confident enough to try whatever takes my fancy!

Only thing is that I knit very slowly - but I ain't rushing nowhere. :lol:

Enjoy!

Tamar

rebecca
12-10-2005, 03:52 PM
That's exactly right, Tamar...there's no hurry! I think knitting slowly & being aware of your knitting is a very good idea ;)

Ingrid
12-10-2005, 06:19 PM
Take your time, do what you're told, and knit, knit, knit. It's a process, like anything else. The more you knit, the better you'll get. If you don't understand the pattern, take it one step at a time--don't look ahead and wonder what it means, just do it and then you'll see what it meant.

lovestoknit
12-10-2005, 06:33 PM
i think that that is totally right. knitting is not something to be rushed. it is better to knit slow and have the work look nice, than to knit extremly fast and have the work looking like crap (if you are as new in knitting as i am).

lovestoknit
12-10-2005, 06:35 PM
i think that that is totally right. knitting is not something to be rushed. it is better to knit slow and have the work look nice, than to knit extremly fast and have the work looking like crap (if you are as new in knitting as i am).

jodstr2
12-10-2005, 07:03 PM
:cheering: welcome, yee! :cheering:
knit knit knit. like all of us, you will make mistakes and you will rip your work out and try again. with more knitting you will get the hang if it! ONE little bit of advice - do not be like me and take 4 months to learn the purl stitch. once I learned it tho, it was like ":shock: VOILA :shock:, OMG!!! now I can follow a pattern!!!"

good luck :D!

yee
12-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Thanks everyone! I started the scarf yesterday but unfortunately it's been difficult because I picked a very persnickety yarn to work with! Still, it's coming along and I'll post when I finish it :)

-Yee

Angelia
12-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Welcome, Yee! :waving:

Just be patient with your "persnickety" yarn and everything will be fine! I love that elongated stitch scarf--Can't wait to see yours!

dustinac
12-11-2005, 10:59 AM
:waving: Welcome!!!

Stick with it and by the end you will have no trouble!! :thumbsup: