PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to make a cabled scarf?

mrselder
12-12-2005, 12:49 PM
Ok this is my first cable attempt. And I didn't pick the esy cable scarf pattern. Maybe I am crazy, but I just like the way this one looks.

I am making this for my Dad using a chunkier yarn. I upped the needle size to 10 1/2.

Here's the pattern: (FREE)

http://www.helloyarn.com/besottedcarf.htm

-Jen

rebecca
12-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Oh, I love that scarf and have it on my list of scarves to make...in the future...LOL! I already have a long project list so I can't do a KAL with this scarf now, but would be happy to in the future :D ! That is a beautiful cabel pattern that will make a stunning scarf :thumbsup:
Now, where are you having trouble?

mrselder
12-12-2005, 03:45 PM
Not sure whether to laugh or cry at this point! I think I have finally figured out how to cable. Took the stupid thing off the needles and ripped it all out I think three times. The last time I got smart and decided to practice a plain cable with worsted weight before I dive back in. This has been my first attempt at cabling but I think I will get the hang of it. I am rather worried that I should revert to an easier pattern to finish by christmas but I like this pattern so much!
-Jen

Ingrid
12-12-2005, 04:46 PM
That one's trickier than a regular cable, but if you're really careful about following the directions about whether the cable needle goes in front or back, you should be ok. Check each cable after you make it to make sure it's headed in the right direction so you don't get to far ahead of any errors.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-12-2005, 07:37 PM
A monthly "cable" knit along is in the works; I was thinking March, for some reason. Not that you should wait until then! You're ambitious--my first cabling was a LOT simpler!!!!!!!!!

mrselder
12-13-2005, 02:25 PM
I ripped that thing out so many times! I have now decided to make the Irish walking scarf from helloyarn.com. That has been coming along much nicer. I have about 10 inches done.

I am determined I will make the besotted scarf next, after I have the experience of this one.

-Jen

Holly
12-19-2005, 03:00 PM
Hello all :D I just started the Irish Walking Scarf this weekend! I have had the pattern for a while, but have never gotten around to starting. I bought some beautiful hand spun, hand died yarn while on vacation (in a dark blue color), and I am using that. I guess that makes this scarf my vacation souvenir!

BTW, I'm using a double pointed, wood needle as my "cable needle." I bought some cable needles, and had a horrible time trying to use them. For some reason the wood DPN works much better,

kome
12-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Ummmm... okay! I'll do the simpler Irish Hiking Scarf wif you. :D

kome
12-19-2005, 08:51 PM
Wooh! 4 inches in! Gotta finish for mum before Christmas! :happydance:

mintdee
12-19-2005, 09:12 PM
It is so easy isn't it?! I am working on this scarf as well and am loving it.

kome
12-19-2005, 09:54 PM
It is so easy isn't it?! I am working on this scarf as well and am loving it.

Yeah. It is RIDICULOUSLY easy and quick to knit, and just so beautiful too. Mum will love it and think I spent FOREVER on it. Bwahahaha. Success! I can't wait to use cables from now on! I love learning new techniques. It's so exciting!

Holly
12-20-2005, 12:32 PM
:X: You are kicking my butt on the scarf! I didn't even pick up knitting last night! Are you using size 8 needles? It didn't even occur to me that I could finish it before Xmas!! :shock: This is my first real cable project, and I love it! It looks soooo impressive :happydance: I played around with making a test cable, but never actually incorporated it into a project

kome
12-20-2005, 10:47 PM
:X: You are kicking my butt on the scarf! I didn't even pick up knitting last night! Are you using size 8 needles? It didn't even occur to me that I could finish it before Xmas!! :shock: This is my first real cable project, and I love it! It looks soooo impressive :happydance: I played around with making a test cable, but never actually incorporated it into a project

Yeah, size 8. And it's my first cabled project as well. *shrugs* I dunno. I mean, I did spend a few hours of it already. I'm at a foot now, but I need to get a move on it to get it done before xmas. Like 2 feet a day. :shock: Gah. Must.... knit....

You can do it Holly! Do not fear the cables! :roflhard: Also, I'm using this yarn I got in a bag from my local thrift store. It's really hard and tight and super nice to knit with. It's not soft really, but it makes knitting really easy. :thumbsup: (no idea what it is though)

Izze
12-22-2005, 12:39 AM
Can someone explain this pattern to me?

Because it's missing the Row 4 instructions entirely, and when it says to repeat everything between the asteriks, does it mean the cabling as well? Because that sounds like it would turn out really wonky.

And what does Slip mean? Because I looked up under abrreviations on this site, and there are three different entries that have three different instructions.

Holly
12-22-2005, 01:02 PM
Izze - are you doing the Irish Hiking Scarf or the Besotted? Holly

Izze
12-22-2005, 05:35 PM
The Besotted one. It looked really pretty. I didn't see any links to an Irish Hiking Scarf.

kome
12-23-2005, 06:40 PM
Can someone explain this pattern to me?

Because it's missing the Row 4 instructions entirely, and when it says to repeat everything between the asteriks, does it mean the cabling as well? Because that sounds like it would turn out really wonky.

And what does Slip mean? Because I looked up under abrreviations on this site, and there are three different entries that have three different instructions.

Link: http://www.helloyarn.com/irishhikingscarf.htm

Just slip the stitich onto your other needle. Don't knit it or anything.

Row 2. and all WS rows: Slip 1, P1, *K2, P8, K2, P2* Repeat what's between the *s two more times

Got it? ;) It took me a minute too. All WS rows are knit like row 2.

Izze
12-23-2005, 10:24 PM
I'm going to do the Irish Hiking Scarf instead of the Bessotted. A lot easier to undersntad (not to mention more complete) instuctions. :XX:

One question though: when do you knit off the cabled stitches? I can see where it tells to put them on a cable needle, but not where they get knitt off in the instuctions.

Wow, knitting instuctions are all so confusing. I miss my crocheting hooks. :(

Ingrid
12-23-2005, 10:45 PM
You hold the 3 in front on the cable needle, knit 3 from your regular needle, then knit the 3 from the cable needle.

kome
12-26-2005, 10:45 PM
I didn't finish it for Christmas for my mum, but I did show it to her and she really likes it. :happydance: Winter is almost over in Florida, but she'll be able to wear it next year.

Also, it has A LOT of mistakes, but I didn't notice them until I was taking the pictures. Crazy! Oh well. It makes it more unique and Katrina Made. :rofling:

mintdee
12-27-2005, 01:17 AM
That is gorgeous! You are doing a great job. My scarf has a lot of mistakes as well but you just have to accept them as the added character and let it go :thumbsup:

Mine has been put on hold until I can finish the two scarves for my mom and sister. :D

chicagoknitter
12-27-2005, 01:59 PM
:D I had the same thing happen to me! I knit some scarves in order to just teach myself the basics of knitting. I did one for myself and one for my father - nice but not interesting at all. Mom, who is a wonderful crafter on the other hand is getting this Irish Hiking Scarf thanks to your knit along here. I decided I was ready for a cable...this one is easy. So on Christmas dad opened his scarf and loved it (he did not know it only took a couple hours) and then I showed mom hers on the needles. She was so excited...she thought it was SO difficult and it was wonderful! Good thing we are in Chicago...we are going to be cold for several more months...so as long as I really get on it - she can have it soon. Glad to see someone else missed their goal date for the Irish Hiking Scarf too! ;)

kome
12-27-2005, 03:12 PM
Thaaaaaaaaanks. :lol: My mum thought it looked really difficult as well. BWAHAHAHA! Fool the masses!

mintdee
12-28-2005, 12:04 AM
Don't you just love patterns that are so easy yet look so hard?! :roflhard:

Holly
12-31-2005, 04:00 PM
The scarves look great! Here is a pick of mine so far -- I took a break from it and did a hat, but I'll be getting back to it now the hat is done :D

mintdee
12-31-2005, 06:24 PM
:thumbsup: :inlove:
looks so pretty! great job :)

chicagoknitter
01-02-2006, 02:07 AM
Holly the scarf does look great.

Kome what yarn did you use on yours - it looks really beautiful. Did you give it to your mom yet? I gave my mother hers on New Years Eve. She was so excited she sat around my house wearing it. She was very cute. Now dad wants one - ugh. Hee hee hee. I took some pictures of it before I gave it to mom, maybe I can post it here if I figure out how. :??

kome
01-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Nope! I haven't finished it. I've been working on a sweater. It's already hot outside! So I am in no hurry. 81 degrees F in Orlando today! It's so nice out. So yeah.. I'll give it to her next "winter", or whenever I have time to finish it. I have school starting, and noro yarn that just arrived! So yeah.. so yeah... so yeah! :rollseyes:

And I have NO IDEA what yarn I am using. I picked it up at a thrift store in a bag with a bunch of other yarns for $3. :happydance: It's wonderful to knit with though! And I agree, it looks lovely!