PDA

View Full Version : from the mouths of babes

Julie
12-14-2005, 02:08 PM
I was running into Meijer this morning to get a few things, and I told my two-year-old we were getting three things: chicken, yogurt, and yarn (I needed black wool to finish my clogs). She paused for a sec, then looked at me a little confused and said, "because you don't have any yarn at your home??"

Busted!! :roflhard:

tigger0229
12-14-2005, 02:14 PM
how sweet. I love the things that come from a toddlers mouth. they are so sweet!

knitqueen
12-14-2005, 02:23 PM
My son, who was just over 3yrs old when I started knitting used to call it "needling" :lol: . We'd walk through Wal-Mart or wherever and he'd see the yarn aisle and say "Mommy, there's your needling stuff." :roflhard:

DotMom61
12-14-2005, 02:24 PM
:roflhard:

Yeah, go ahead and confuse the poor kid!! Too funny!

Sara
12-14-2005, 02:31 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Everybody's a critic!

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

wyoknitter
12-14-2005, 02:32 PM
very cute...I miss the fun things that kids say...now that my boys are older. The other day my 17 year son said he thought that women would be happy if they have enough jewelry and candles ! :rofling: :rofling:

( I maybe own 4 candles total ) so not sure what he was thinking...it was in reference to little boy toys and how when they get older...they just have big boys toys...

I pity his poor future wife if he thinks that candles are "it"

Ingrid
12-14-2005, 03:46 PM
When Ryan was 3 we were in ACMoore and he got all excited because his name was up in big letters--YARN. Maybe that's why I like him so much! ;)

earthchick
12-14-2005, 03:47 PM
Too funny! :roflhard:

chanters
12-14-2005, 03:50 PM
When Ryan was 3 we were in ACMoore and he got all excited because his name was up in big letters--YARN. Maybe that's why I like him so much! ;)

:inlove: That is so cute! :inlove: :roflhard: But really... between us... is that why his name is Ryan? You can tell us ;)

rebecca
12-14-2005, 03:58 PM

SMART KID :thumbsup:

Ingrid
12-14-2005, 04:02 PM

SMART KID :thumbsup:

When I told his mom, she worried that he was dyslexic. I reminded her that he was 3 and recognized the letters of his name, so she shouldn't worry. Moms!

He probably saw the word Yarn in print more than his own at that point!

He wasn't named after yarn. I pushed for Loow, but nobody bought it! :rofling:

jodstr2
12-14-2005, 04:03 PM
The other day my 17 year son said he thought that women would be happy if they have enough jewelry and candles ! :rofling: :rofling:

someday you can remind him of what he said, and tell him that the 4 ct rock he buys his future wife just isn't quite enough to get her to marry him ;)!

KellyK
12-14-2005, 04:37 PM
She paused for a sec, then looked at me a little confused and said, "because you don't have any yarn at your home??"

Busted!! :roflhard:

NOO! NOT busted! This is the PERFECT opportunity to begin her initiation into a well-rounded STASH EDUCATION program! You can talk about concepts like "never enough" and "unlimited amounts" and what volume of yarn will fit into rubbermaid bins....its almost like a MATH lesson, too!

kemp
12-14-2005, 05:18 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: right kk...warp their poor innocent minds from the very beginning!

VickiIL
12-14-2005, 06:32 PM
NOO! NOT busted! This is the PERFECT opportunity to begin her initiation into a well-rounded STASH EDUCATION program! You can talk about concepts like "never enough" and "unlimited amounts" and what volume of yarn will fit into rubbermaid bins....its almost like a MATH lesson, too!

MATH! So if my kids watch me while I knit and shop for yarn can I ditch their math workbooks! Whoo Hoo! An brand new explanation on how knitting and homeschooling go together! Thanks KK! :cheering:

Sara
12-14-2005, 08:53 PM
Do you want your children tallying up the yarn expenditures and then showing their "math work" to daddy?

Andrea
12-14-2005, 08:57 PM
He wasn't named after yarn. I pushed for Loow, but nobody bought it! :rofling:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

KellyK
12-14-2005, 09:47 PM
MATH! So if my kids watch me while I knit and shop for yarn can I ditch their math workbooks! Whoo Hoo! An brand new explanation on how knitting and homeschooling go together! Thanks KK! :cheering:

:thumbsup: THAT'S the ticket!! :thumbsup:

(Sara....you HUSH! You arent helping AT ALL!) :roflhard:

DotMom61
12-20-2005, 11:48 PM
OK ... I have one to add. Not nearly as funny as Julie's ... or Ingrid's ... but still a testament that the kids have been paying attention!

We were in our favorite LYS last week getting wool for MIL's mittens. We were walking past some lovely hanks of bulky wool when DD sticks her hand into it, squishes it around a bit and says, "Alpaca is sooo soft." I grabbed one and turned it over to look @ the label, and sure enough, it was alpaca! :roflhard:

InterNette
12-21-2005, 12:27 AM
Man I couldnt even do that. NOW THAT Dotman is a future knitter.

Ingrid
12-21-2005, 08:28 AM
Future Farmers of America has a new chapter--FYSA

KellyK
12-21-2005, 08:37 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: GOOD GIRL!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

knitncook
12-21-2005, 09:27 AM
I'm already using knitting as math lessons. Think of all the math you use in figuringo out gauge, size difference, needle sizes, meters per gram, etc. I consider a trip to Joanne's, Hobby Lobby or the LYS a field trip. Then there is the whole fiber content when we discuss geography, "This is WOTA. Does anyone know what country/ies the Andes run through?" And history "This is based off a 1950's hat." or "This pattern dates back to the 1700's in Norway." I try to incorporate as much information as possible in every knitting project! Now if I could only write it off as an educational expense!

DotMom61
12-21-2005, 11:08 AM
Ooooo ... you're good, Michelle! I think I'll start stealing some of your ideas. DS is studying Japan right now -- I could have him do some research on the Noro yarns. ;-)

BTW ... he taught himself to purl the other day. :sunny: <-- that's me beaming w/ pride.

nicolethegeek
12-21-2005, 11:29 AM
DS is studying Japan right now -- I could have him do some research on the Noro yarns. ;-)

My SR Kertzer bamboo needles are from Japan too... and they are deeeeee-vine!

Julie
12-21-2005, 12:28 PM
Way to go Julie's DS!!! That's fabulous!! :XY:

DotMom61
12-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks, Jules ... I'll tell him you said so. :cheering: