PDA

View Full Version : Yarn sub

mrselder
12-15-2005, 09:47 AM
Okay I have finally found the perfect sweater pattern for DH. It is a cabled sweater in the spring/summer edition of FCEK 2005.

The pattern calls for 12 balls of Cabana by Reynolds. I think it is a bulky weight yarn. The pattern says it is cotton/acrylic. (Defininitely good because DH does not like wool.)

The problem is that yarn is WAY out of my budget. Is there a cheaper yarn that I could substitute? Maybe from www.knitpicks.com ? (I want to place an order there soon anyway.)

Thanks for your help,
Jen

mrselder
12-15-2005, 09:47 AM
Okay I have finally found the perfect sweater pattern for DH. It is a cabled sweater in the spring/summer edition of FCEK 2005.

The pattern calls for 12 balls of Cabana by Reynolds. I think it is a bulky weight yarn. The pattern says it is cotton/acrylic. (Defininitely good because DH does not like wool.)

The problem is that yarn is WAY out of my budget. Is there a cheaper yarn that I could substitute? Maybe from www.knitpicks.com ? (I want to place an order there soon anyway.)

Thanks for your help,
Jen

Carol_OH
12-15-2005, 09:51 AM
I'm basically looking for the same sort of substitution - a pattern I'm looking at wants a super-bulky yarn that's 10 bucks for 49 yards.

SO I'm thinking Sierra from KnitPicks.

http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/yarn_display.aspx?itemid=5420129

mrselder
12-15-2005, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the suggestion! It looks like that yarn is part wool, though and I really wanted to find something that was cotton or acrylic since Dh doesn't like wool. I know, I know- I'm being picky!

Mer
12-15-2005, 11:06 AM
I'd look at somewhere like www.elann.com or knitwerx (click the ad above) because they often have cheap bulky cotton blends. You can search by weight usually.

kemp
12-15-2005, 11:21 AM
I found Cabana on sale for 4.75 here (http://www.kaleidoscopeyarns.com/reynolds-cabana-cotton-acrylic-blend-bulky-weight-yarn.html) ...it has a gauge of 3.25 sts = 1" on #10 needles, bulky weight. I don't think any of the comprable yarns at knit picks are machine washable...but if you don't care about that, Sierra, Twirl, Panache or Decadence would work...those are all more expensive than the Cabana on sale though!

Edit: I forgot to mention www.yarndex.com You can put in what weight you would like and it shows comprable yarns.

kemp
12-15-2005, 12:04 PM
I'm not sure which thread you'll check, but I replied on the other thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6729) where you asked about this.

knitncook
12-15-2005, 01:11 PM
Why doesn't your dh like wool? Most people who say they don't like wool think of the scratchy itchy wools from the 70's and 80's (remember those wool plaid skirts that were SO itchy!!) My dh hated wool and refused to wear anything wool until I bought some super soft merino or alpaca. He kept asking me what else was in it (like nylon or acrylic) and I kept saying, "It's 100% wool!" He wouldn't believe me until I showed him the label and I think secretly he believes the company is lying :roflhard:

Of course if he is allergic to wool, that's another issue.

kemp
12-15-2005, 01:20 PM
knitncook...your comment totally reminds me of a funny story in the yarn harlot book II...she describes a friend that's "allergic" to wool. I don't want to spoil it in case you want to read what happened...very :roflhard:

mrselder
12-16-2005, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I will check them out. DH is very HOT natured so he would not wear a wool sweater as much as a cotton blend.

mrselder
12-16-2005, 01:37 PM
kemp,
I checked out the sale link. That would have been awesome but they don't have 12 skeins left of anything! Too bad I didn't start this project earlier!
-Jen

kemp
12-16-2005, 03:41 PM
kemp,
I checked out the sale link. That would have been awesome but they don't have 12 skeins left of anything! Too bad I didn't start this project earlier!
-JenShoot...that's too bad. Maybe you could do stripes?