PDA

View Full Version : Sock Yarn Recommendations?

rosefield
12-15-2005, 09:56 AM
Hello, my plan is to knit my first pair of socks over the holiday break...I am looking for recommendations on a good quality (for the money) sock yarn. Also recommendations where to purchase it (online or in store) would be helpful.

Love this site!! :thumbsup:

Lisa

kemp
12-15-2005, 12:30 PM
I really like Opal...although it can be $$$. Regia is another good one that is less expensive and a lot of people on here like Knit Picks (www.knitpicks.com) sock yarn whic is nice and inexpensive. You can browse through several types HERE (http://www.simplysockyarn.com/StoreFront.bok) and Wool Needlework (www.woolneedlework.com) has awesome prices if they happen to have what you want (they usually have some Regia).

rosefield
12-15-2005, 12:54 PM
Thanks!
Cincinnatti? Are you getting the snow storm? The snow is really coming down here in Michigan! Perfect day to stay in and knit!! :D

Thanks again for the info on the sock yarn.

Lisa

kemp
12-15-2005, 12:57 PM
You're welcome. Getting sleet/rain...I think we're on the edge of that system. It was pretty slick earlier but its 36 now and traffic seems to be moving beter.

MaryS
12-15-2005, 01:10 PM
Rosefield,

Where in Michigan are you? I'm in Troy. This is NOT going to be a fun drive home tonight!

At least it's Christmas.

" Let it snow, let it snow, let it SSNNOWWWW!!

(Wish I had a fireplace in my office) :roflhard:

Mary

rosefield
12-15-2005, 02:26 PM
I am in Clarkston...ughhhh it just keeps snowing and snowing..I can't believe the school is still in session. My office in Detroit just closed for the afternoon...I75 is bad!

Love Michigan weather ;)

Julie
12-15-2005, 03:26 PM
I used KnitPicks Parade fr my first pair of socks -- it was nice because it's self-striping (fun!), washable, and required US4 needles...not so small that it took eons to finish the socks. :thumbsup:

kitkat
12-15-2005, 08:02 PM
I am still working on my first pair (they had to get put aside for Christmas), and I used Nature's wool, and I love it. I would recommend for your first pair that you not go too small with your yarn - you want to finish those puppies quickly so that you get hooked and do more!

rosefield
12-15-2005, 09:04 PM
Thanks for all the advice...what would be considered small weighted yarn? Sport weight, fingering weight? I really would like to stay with machine washable...convenience is very important in our family!

It is still snowing :shock: will it ever stop??

Thanks again!,

Lisa in snowy, snowy Michigan