PDA

View Full Version : felting

HeatherFeather
12-15-2005, 11:25 PM
whistle.....whistle....look around....whistle some more...get up, check the washer...nope not done.....read a couple entries....check the email...whistle whistle....

HeatherFeather
12-15-2005, 11:37 PM
felting IS happening...but taking a while.....I want the individual stitches to dissapear....sigh...it seems as if it is shrinking top to bottom, but not side to side, so the original porportions might not be kept....

I did the messenger bag (the big one) on knitty.com

it is FOR someone, so if it doesn't work, I'm SOOO totally sunk.

Ingrid
12-15-2005, 11:39 PM
Crossing my fingers for ya!!! :pray:

HeatherFeather
12-15-2005, 11:48 PM
Thanks Ingrid!!!

I took a picture of it on my 13 yo's head...the base of the bag on his head, and the flap came to his SHINS.....I'm too tired to upload...but will tomorrow..... he's a little guy still...but still prefelted it was HUGE..you could fit a small baby in there...lol...

Ingrid
12-16-2005, 12:03 AM
Thanks Ingrid!!!

I took a picture of it on my 13 yo's head...the base of the bag on his head, and the flap came to his SHINS.....I'm too tired to upload...but will tomorrow..... he's a little guy still...but still prefelted it was HUGE..you could fit a small baby in there...lol...

Sounds like you fit a really BIG baby in there!! :roflhard:

HeatherFeather
12-16-2005, 12:19 AM
ya...now that you say that!! small child...lol...

i'm going to bed...I am getting REALLY nervous about it....the strap is still WAY too long...

it is felting all funky....you can still see the stitches, the flap edges are all wavy...grrr......

and it is felting top to bottom, but it is still nearly as WIDE as I had made it....maybe...no, I guess it wouldn't be, but still....it isn't shrinking in the proportions...it has a ways to go to get to the size I want...so I'll just keep at it....I doubt it'll go TOO small at this rate....

Oh, and she wanted FRINGE on this thing...I decided to add that at the end after all was said and done.

Ingrid
12-16-2005, 01:04 AM
yikes!

HeatherFeather
12-16-2005, 08:37 AM
OK Felters.....the height is what I want, but the width is still toooooo WIDE....what should I do?????????????? And the strap is still soooo LONG...I'm not quite sure what happened.....I used Lopi, 2 strands on size 13 needles.

knitncook
12-16-2005, 10:06 AM
Did you felt a test swatch?

anon. :D

Sara
12-16-2005, 10:19 AM
Did you try shocking it in cold water? Keep in mind that any more felting you do will possibly affect the length of the bag, too.

HeatherFeather
12-16-2005, 10:46 AM
I think it's as done as it's going to get....how bout if I toss it in the dryer??? that'll make it go more right???

and IGNORING knitncook.....I thought I read something about a swatch...but not too sure...my eyes aren't working real good yet this am.... :doh:

shame on me....sigh... :doh:

oh yeah, and DH said...aren't you DONE with that thing yet???

margie
12-16-2005, 11:17 AM
I hope the dryer works for you- I'll keep my fingers crossed for good results!

HeatherFeather
12-16-2005, 12:07 PM
thanks!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I opted not to do the dryer...SHE may not know that it didn't turn out like "I" had wanted....so I'll leave it alone and let it dry.

Now about that blasted fringe......

ebrperk
12-16-2005, 06:46 PM
One of the great things about knitting is sometimes the person who receives it has no clue on how it was SUPPOSED to turn out. I am sure she will like it anyway.

Robin

knitncook
12-16-2005, 08:36 PM
Heather I really have no room to talk about swatches. I hate doing them and only will if I am working with all new stuff. Otherwise I will guestimate. I just had to ask 'cause no one had yet. :roflhard:

HeatherFeather
12-28-2005, 09:23 AM
Ok start of the project and finished project are here...:) didn't want to put them on the commercial site, cuz it is just not "company ready"...lol...

yarnlandia (http://yarnlandia.blogspot.com)

liznwillow
01-07-2006, 10:58 PM
It's very cute! I really like it!!!

I cannot believe how friggin' HUGE the original bag was! WHOA!

HeatherFeather
01-07-2006, 11:11 PM
I KNOW...he's 13, but hasn't really started growing yet...I'm 5 one, and he THINKS he's taller than me...but he isn't yet....lol....I was SOOOO glad to get rid of that thing.....lol....

funny thing happened, he was playing the PS2, squatting on the floor, and my dad, who hadn't seen the kids in a year, bent down to give Hank a hug....Hank stood up, and clopped dad right in the chin and nose...dad wasn't expecting him to be as tall as he was...

if you PM me, I'll show pic of my kids in our "anual" picture...I didn't get it done for Christmas....so when they come in, I'll send them out as "new year's" cards!! :) turned out all artsy!!!