PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION SOCK KNITTERS & THOSE WHO WANT TO BE!!!!!

rebecca
12-16-2005, 04:26 PM
OMGoodness, I'm so excited! I'm always excited about socks..but this really excites me :happydance: :happydance: ! Okay, I told ya'll that my :inlove: sweetie ordered the book "Sensational Knitted Socks" for me for my bday, he had to tell me about it bc it wasn't here on my bday. WELL, it arrived today and it is INCREDIBLE, as any of you who have it will attest! It is as I've heard many say, THE sock book to have! It has everything, different ways to knit socks (dpns, circs, toe up, cuff down) sizing, st counts...the list goes on! It's a MUST HAVE for anyone who loves to knit socks or wants to learn ;)
I just had to share my JOY :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

knitncook
12-16-2005, 04:32 PM
Cool. And cool of dh!! :cheering: :cheering: May have to look into it. My mother thinks I'm crazy to knit socks. "$14 for a pair of socks? Do you know how many socks you can buy for $14?"

nicolethegeek
12-16-2005, 04:36 PM
"$14 for a pair of socks? Do you know how many socks you can buy for $14?"
I wonder what she'd say about me spending $34.70 {inc. taxes} for 3 balls of yarn, a set of dpns, and a pattern to make my hubby a SINGLE pair of handwash only socks???? :thinking: :roflhard:

rebecca
12-16-2005, 04:55 PM
I would hate to even guess what I have invested in sock yarn now...that is waiting to be used :shock: Nevermind the dpns, circs, etc...BUT I love :heart: knitting socks :D

brendajos
12-16-2005, 05:13 PM
i thought the same thing one day when i bought 2 balls of yarn for $15 each for a pair of mittens (which are sitting waiting for me to stop procrastinating about dealing with the thumb btw) but i LOVE the yarn and have been coveting it for a while but had no use for it. would i spend $30 on a store bought pair of mittens? not a chance.....3 bucks tops... :rofling:

knitting4babybear
12-16-2005, 05:21 PM
:cheering:

I love reading your posts Rebecca. They're so EXUBERANT. :heart:

Yay Lonnie. And YAY socks. I'm getting closer and closer to feeling like I can do these. I may pick this book up. It, plus Silver's tutorial - and I'll be an expert in no time.

Thanks for the review! :)

nicolethegeek
12-16-2005, 05:28 PM
I would hate to even guess what I have invested in sock yarn now...that is waiting to be used :shock: Nevermind the dpns, circs, etc...BUT I love :heart: knitting socks :D
I'm not sure that I would say that I LOVE knitting socks, but I sure do like 'em a lot! My guess is that at least 90% of my current sock yarn stash is chepo Bernat Sox, most of which I got on clearance at work. I thought I was splurging on the Kroy @ $5 a ball on clearance until I bought my STR!!! Hubby's socks beat that now though! He *did* give me a funny look, and made a funny comment when we were at Ram's getting his wool, when I said to the clerk that I would treat myself to the bamboo dpns!!! Well at $10 for a set of dpns, you better believe that's a treat! I'm glad I got them though. They feel like silk in your hands and in your wool. Hubby's socks are a little too tough for me to feel confident using them, but you better believe that I'll be using them for a pair of socks for me soon!

Angelia
12-16-2005, 06:52 PM
I have fallen in love with making socks--they are my favorite thing to knit! :inlove: :inlove:

I don't care how much it costs to make them vs. buying them; if I make them--and I'm getting durned good at it, if I do say so myself--then I know they'll fit exactly as I want them to and look exactly like I want them to. (Heck, if we always compared prices on things, knitting would almost always lose. But WE know better!!!)

I think the dh has finished the Christmas gift list for me--if not, this is going on it. If so, well, I buy it my sweet self!

Thanks Rebecca! :heart: :heart: :heart: :notworthy:

margie
12-16-2005, 10:20 PM
I just finished my first pair of socks today. Love them!! I made them for my 8 yr old son. I've already started another pair, this time for myself. I am using this luscious sock yarn that I got last weekend- it is 20% silk. SO SO SOFT! I can' t wait to get them finished. It is a little challenging- I am knitting them on 2 circs, and between the yarn being somewhat slippery, using size 2 needles, and the needles being addis, but I still love it! I've heard other people say that knitting socks can be addicting- now I see why!

Angelia
12-16-2005, 11:00 PM
I just finished my first pair of socks today. Love them!! I made them for my 8 yr old son. I've already started another pair, this time for myself. I am using this luscious sock yarn that I got last weekend- it is 20% silk. SO SO SOFT! I can' t wait to get them finished. It is a little challenging- I am knitting them on 2 circs, and between the yarn being somewhat slippery, using size 2 needles, and the needles being addis, but I still love it! I've heard other people say that knitting socks can be addicting- now I see why!

Feel the power of the sock!!!

margie
12-16-2005, 11:02 PM
:inlove: I feel the power........... :inlove:

Angelia
12-16-2005, 11:09 PM
:inlove: I feel the power........... :inlove:

:happydance: :happydance:

Right now I'm working on a hat for the dh, but I also have a pair of socks going. Well, the hat looks fine and all, but it's not socks. I am not happy.

See, see what they do?!

rebecca
12-17-2005, 12:22 AM
:shock: SOCK :shock: KNITTING :shock: IS :shock: ADDICTING :shock: LOL....bc it's FUN!! I have all of this sock yarn just waiting for me to finish these accessories that I've been knitting..and will continue to knit for some time...THEN...I'll be lost in the LAND O' SOX...can't wait :cheering: :cheering: :happydance: :happydance: :cheering:

Angelia
12-17-2005, 12:26 AM
:shock: SOCK :shock: KNITTING :shock: IS :shock: ADDICTING :shock: LOL....bc it's FUN!! I have all of this sock yarn just waiting for me to finish these accessories that I've been knitting..and will continue to knit for some time...THEN...I'll be lost in the LAND O' SOX...can't wait :cheering: :cheering: :happydance: :happydance: :cheering:

Ahh, the SOCK SABBATICAL!!! How many days to that? Are you marking the calendar?

dustinac
12-17-2005, 12:29 AM
:cheering: thats wonderful!!! LOL I have sock yarn and have co to my first pair but then Christmas knitting got in the way and I haven't returned to it... :rollseyes:

earthchick
12-17-2005, 12:34 AM
Y'all are giving me lots of motivation to keep my new year's resolution of learning to knit socks! :happydance: I'm very excited now. I have a left over Barnes and Noble gift card from my bday this summer - I think I may be using it on that book. Thanks for the recommendation Rebecca! :thumbsup:

LM Needle Fanatic
12-17-2005, 02:37 AM
I would tell anyone that questioned either why make socks when you can buy them or why spend so much money on the yarn to look at the commercially available socks and see how lousy they are. Making your own you get quality, better fit, better style, etc. Just my opinion :D

Angelia
12-17-2005, 08:27 AM
I would tell anyone that questioned either why make socks when you can buy them or why spend so much money on the yarn to look at the commercially available socks and see how lousy they are. Making your own you get quality, better fit, better style, etc. Just my opinion :D

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

margie
12-17-2005, 08:39 AM
Ahh, the SOCK SABBATICAL!!! How many days to that? Are you marking the calendar?

:cheering: I Love it!! Sock Sabbatical! That is exactly where I am right now! I did all my Christmas knitting, and now I get to knit bunches of socks as my reward!! :happydance:

Angelia
12-17-2005, 08:55 AM

:cheering: I Love it!! Sock Sabbatical! That is exactly where I am right now! I did all my Christmas knitting, and now I get to knit bunches of socks as my reward!! :happydance:

:cheering: :cheering:

It feels gooooooood, doesn't it?!

Ah, socks.

Vendie
12-17-2005, 09:35 AM
This book was on my KP wish list when I sent it to my mom, so I'm hoping she got it! If not, I can certainly get it with the Christmas money my MIL sent me...I've yet to finish my first sock...just a few more decrease rounds on the toe and then grafting...but I just have a little bit more Christmas knitting to get done..

Holly
12-17-2005, 11:43 AM
:happydance: Love new books! Does the book cover magic loop knitting, and are the patterns written so that you could try any method you choose for the pattern? I have a sock and a 1/2 completed (my first) using magic loop, and I'd like to try more, buy I'm feeling unconfident about converting "regular" pattens to the magic loop method...does that make any sense??! :? I'd love to get to the point in my knitting where I could say that I am making custom fit things -- I'm verymuch stuck in the rut of following the pattern word for word and hoping things fit! I assume that the more socks I try, the more I'll "get it!"

Jeremy
12-18-2005, 12:55 PM
I have a 30% off coupon and I am heading straight for Borders today to get that book. I scoped it out last week but my coupon wasn't good yet.

Angelia
12-18-2005, 01:26 PM
I have a 30% off coupon and I am heading straight for Borders today to get that book. I scoped it out last week but my coupon wasn't good yet.

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

ebrperk
12-18-2005, 05:19 PM
Sounds like a book I am going to have to look into. I :heart: knitting socks. It is so cool to see how it turns into a sock. Kind of like watching the yarn turning into the FT Clogs that almost everyone has been making.

Robin

VickiIL
12-19-2005, 01:16 PM
This is by far my favorite sock book! I LOVE this book! This is also the ONLY sock book I have that includes the short row heel! This is definatly the ONLY sock book a sock knitter NEEDS (now what a sock knitter may want is another story...I think I have 4 books now and there are a number on my amazon wish list!)

I too am on a quasi-sock sabbatical...however my Christmas knitting is quickly coming to a end a have one clog to finish and then my DH's SOCK! (I had to knit socks for someone for Christmas....an entire season without knitting a sock is just too long) Then I can dive into the fun sock yarns I have calling my name! (DH's is Navy Blue and the small stitches and dark colored yarn are driving my eyes crazy!!!)

Lisa1216
12-19-2005, 01:36 PM
I bought a sock book for myself for Christmas a few weeks ago and gave it to my daughter to wrap. Now I can't remeber which book I bought. This book sounds great. I 'm hoping it's the one I bought! :thinking: Can't wait to learn how to knit socks. I've never done them before. Sounds like I might get addicted to them! :D

~~Lisa

Angelia
12-19-2005, 01:55 PM
I bought a sock book for myself for Christmas a few weeks ago and gave it to my daughter to wrap. Now I can't remeber which book I bought. This book sounds great. I 'm hoping it's the one I bought! :thinking: Can't wait to learn how to knit socks. I've never done them before. Sounds like I might get addicted to them! :D

~~Lisa

You bought it for yourself and gave it to your daughter to wrap? I LOVE IT!! :roflhard: :roflhard:

InterNette
12-19-2005, 08:36 PM
I am with Earthchick I am making it my new year project. Of course my LYS is doing a circular needle sock class so that helps.I would love to make socks, dont know why it is just calling to me. Maybe it is Rebeccas enthusiasm

misstialouise
12-19-2005, 09:30 PM
:verysad:

Yet another thing I have to have ordered from O/S...

Why can't bookstores carry as many books in knitting as they do in quilting?????

:(

rebecca
12-19-2005, 10:58 PM

OMGoodness, I've put it in the very back of my brain (and it's hard with this new book :shock: !) bc I'm trying to finish the other list of accessories, which used to be this & that shawl and scarf..now, I've got to knit the hat & gloves to match the shawls & scarves...so my project list tripled...LOL!! But, that's okay, bc it's fun, fun, fun...and I have oodles of sock yarn waiting for me.....then I will kick back with socks for as long as I've been doing accessories...who knows when I will ever get to sweaters & tops?! But...it's not like I'm on a timer ;)
I am gonna find some cool sock yarn while on vacation...have my eye out for some yummilicious sock yarn, baby :thumbsup:
Holly...I just really opened the book and had a good look so I could answer your question...THIS BOOK REALLY ROCKS!!! I'm afraid that it doesn't cover magic loop, I wonder if it's bc there's a 'booklet' out entitled "Magic Loop" and it wasn't something that this author and/or publisher wanted to infringe upon?! :( sorry....BUT...it does cover 4dpn, 5 dpn and 2 circ methods and all sorts of sock construction & different fits, etc...I didn't delve into it anymore or I won't finish my other things..I will be GONE INTO SOCK LAND... to return...who knows when.... :roflhard: :rofling:

wyoknitter
12-19-2005, 11:05 PM
I have the book but don't really understand a word of it :D.

When I started to learn to knit my goal was to be able to knit a simple sweater...but then I saw socks!!!! so the goal for 2006 was changed...to socks.

I am taking a class next month at my LYS and hope to become a sock knitter just like Rebecca..

Laura

rebecca
12-19-2005, 11:17 PM
Laura, I have complete faith in you! I had NO CLUE as to how to knit sock..I even went so far as to order 8 in circular needles...yep, 8" long..IMPOSSIBLE to knit with, but I thought that anything would be easier than dpns!! It's much, much easier than you think, I promise! I didn't know about sock tutorials @ the time that I started knitting socks, and the thing that opened my eyes was this episode (http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_dkng/episode/0,2046,DIY_18180_36323,00.html) of Knitty Gritty bc I was able to see what she was doing. If you go to the link, there are some videos there that u might find helpful to look @ before your class.
happy sock knitting ;)

Jan in CA
04-25-2006, 07:28 PM
Hey Rebecca, is that book still your favorite?

Ronda
04-25-2006, 07:45 PM
Well, Rebecca, it's because of you that I bought that book. It does look like a very nice book! It is sitting pretty on my shelf! I'm sure I will use it but I just started my first sock last night, and I'm using Silver's tutorial first. So many people have raved about Silver's tutorial, that I figured that would be the best place to start. Then I'll move on to my book...and lots more socks! So far, I'm having fun, but when it comes to knitting, when haven't I had fun?

I have to say though that you guys have caused me to spend more money in the last several months than I thought I would have! All this talk about Addi Turbos and interchangeable sets and different books and new yarns (to me)...well, I learned it all from you guys!

knitaddict
04-25-2006, 07:48 PM
Well, I've just scoped this out on Amazon.com & I think I'll have to go get this with my next Border's coupon. It looks awesome!!!! :happydance: :happydance:

metalsgirl
04-25-2006, 10:10 PM
you've all got me ready to buy... just about anyway... I'm wondering, does it cover TWO socks on TWO circulars or just ONE sock on TWO circulars (and is it that hard to adapt a pattern anyway?) - I'm a two circ novice, have done DPN, but want to give circs a try

mulene
04-26-2006, 06:30 AM
I'm doing my first sock! If it turns out ok I'll get the book =D

gimmesanity
04-26-2006, 06:33 AM
metalsgirl, it covers one sock on two circs, but it's not very hard to adapt the patterns. I :heart: this book, and I used this site (http://www.socknitters.com/2circs/index.htm) to help me figure out how to do two at a time. It's a little finnicky at first, but you'll get it.

:thumbsup:

kemp
04-26-2006, 09:15 AM
:happydance: Love new books! Does the book cover magic loop knitting, and are the patterns written so that you could try any method you choose for the pattern? I have a sock and a 1/2 completed (my first) using magic loop, and I'd like to try more, buy I'm feeling unconfident about converting "regular" pattens to the magic loop method...does that make any sense??! :? I'd love to get to the point in my knitting where I could say that I am making custom fit things -- I'm verymuch stuck in the rut of following the pattern word for word and hoping things fit! I assume that the more socks I try, the more I'll "get it!"

Holly...it's pretty easy to make "regular" patterns with the magic loop. Instead of having 1/2 the sts on 1 needle, 1/4 on one needle and 1/4 on the other, you just have 1/2 on the front of the loop and 1/2 on the back. Then as you already know...just have to turn the heels seperately.

Rebecca...thanks for posting about this book! Can't you believe after all the socks I've knit no sock book???!!! Sounds like if I am ever going to have one, this should be it!

Wanna be sock knitters: Jump in! It's so fun! It's so addicting! I learned to knit socks from Silver's tutorial...it's so detailed you can't miss. Plus so many of the people here have used it...if you have any trouble there is a ton of help just a post away :)