PDA

View Full Version : Washcloth yarn

tigger0229
12-19-2005, 12:36 PM
what is the best yarn to do a washcloth with? cotton?

Jenelle
12-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Yup. Cotton is the best yarn for washcloths.

I preffer to use Peaches and Cream cotton yarn. They have a dishcloth pattern on the back, but I didn't follow that.

Cotton is a wonder to wash too. Easy to clean. :)

Jan in CA
12-19-2005, 01:37 PM
I think Jenelle means "Sugar and Cream" cotton. That's what I've been using because it's the cheapest. I did pick up some Lion Brand cotton the other day and it works fine, too.

knitncook
12-19-2005, 01:54 PM
You can also use super wash wool. Anything that won't felt or shrink. Although I have found the cotton does shrink down quite a bit if run through a hot load of laundry. But they sure feel good on your face!

tigger0229
12-19-2005, 02:06 PM
what feels softest on the skin?

jessi_9783
12-19-2005, 06:54 PM
I think Jenelle means "Sugar and Cream" cotton. That's what I've been using because it's the cheapest. I did pick up some Lion Brand cotton the other day and it works fine, too.
Peaches & Crème does exist. You can get it at Wal-Mart or directly from the manufacture (http://www.elmore-pisgah.com/prod01.htm).

what feels softest on the skin?
Lion Cotton feels the softest out of the "kitchen cottons." It's more expensive but you get more yardage than you do with the others. I've made washcloths out of Bernat's Cottontots (http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=cottontots&SPP=999). It's sooooooooo much softer than the "kitchen cottons" because it's a 100% cotton baby yarn made for garments but I made washclothes out of them for a babyshower and they were a hit. I know some knitters who prefer to make their full-sized washclothes out of Cottontots, I'm one of them, because they're softer and so they can tell them apart from the dishcloths. That's important if you use the same pattern for both.

Jenelle
12-19-2005, 07:45 PM
Nope there is Peaches and Cream yarn. I scaned the label too.

misstialouise
12-19-2005, 07:48 PM
I used the Heritage 8ply Cotton, it's an Australian cotton and is loverly and soft :D

I also have some Sirdar Pure Cotton DK in a lovely tealy/minty colour to make myself a gaggle of stuff (185yd per ball), and some Jo Sharp Soho cotton for some cloths for me and MIL.

InterNette
12-19-2005, 08:23 PM
I use them all. I tend to like my colors to go with the design. The blue for a dolphin, finally found red for the apple, pink for the heart and for the words love , etc. I buy any cotton I come across, lol.

Debbie
12-19-2005, 10:20 PM
I have the Knit Picks Crayon color card ... and my next orcer I am going to order some for washcloths ... It is really soft. I think it will probably have to be doubled.

Internette, I buy LOTS of cotton too, all different kinds .... ya think it is a FLorida thing ??

earthchick
12-19-2005, 11:22 PM
I make my face cloths out of cotton chenille, and I :heart: :heart: :heart: them! They are just so yummy, and I feel so pampered when I use them. I've been using Crystal Palace chenille (you can get 2-3 cloths per skein) but it's a little pricey. I just ordered a few skeins from Numei.com for $2.95 per skein; it arrived this weekend and looks great. Will be making them later this week for last minute Christmas gifts for our babysitters.

Btw, if you go with cotton chenille, you can throw them in the wash even though the tag says to hand wash or dry clean. I did an experiment last week and was happy to discover they could be machine washed (I did them on cold wash, delicate cycle, and tumble dry low).

InterNette
12-20-2005, 01:12 AM
Debbie I dont know, In my case kinda thought it was a stash happy building thing. I cant resist much especially affordable yarns. I get a quick fix for cotton dishcloths at 2.17 a ball. lol.

Jan in CA
12-20-2005, 01:37 AM
Peaches & Crème does exist. You can get it at Wal-Mart or directly from the manufacture (http://www.elmore-pisgah.com/prod01.htm).

I didn't know that! I apologize for jumping the gun, Jenelle. :oops:

Also... I don't care for Sugar and Cream for a face cloth. Not that soft IMO. I'm going to try one of the others for faces.

Jenelle
12-20-2005, 01:43 AM

It's okay Jan. You can get like 1 pound spools for 6 or 7 dollars at walmart. Its really soft and would be nice for dish cloths :)

Jan in CA
12-20-2005, 01:44 AM

It's okay Jan. You can get like 1 pound spools for 6 or 7 dollars at walmart. Its really soft and would be nice for dish cloths :)

Thanks for that info! Good to know!

Jenelle
12-20-2005, 01:51 AM
Thanks for that info! Good to know!

Your welcome. :)

They come in many really pretty colors. Some solid and some multi colored. Really nice blends actually. :)

nicolethegeek
12-20-2005, 08:34 AM
I like Bernat Cotton Tots for facecloths. It washes up well and I find it softer than the Handicrafter.

tigger0229
12-20-2005, 10:00 AM
thanks everyone!!! I'll be doing some in each brand to see which I prefer.
earthchick, I'm going to start with the chenille cause that's what I want, to be pampered!!! I want to start with something special.
my goodness, it seems there's NEVER an end to the yarn and patterns and projects we find we want to do!!!!!
Anyway, I thought would be fun to do facecloths for my sisters with a nice bar of soap, maybe for b'day or the next christmas.

Mer
12-20-2005, 11:17 AM
I recently made one with cotton chenille also, and it came out great but is a PAIN to work with! Not stretchy at all, and the label warns you of that. :rollseyes:

tigger0229
12-20-2005, 11:40 AM
hmm, maybe I'll do my first ones in cotton then. I can move on to chenille later if i need to.
thanks, mer.

Mer
12-20-2005, 12:53 PM
Oh, well I didn't mean to discourage you! It might be easier if you're knitting flat too, I was using double pointed needles. Use whatever yarn you enjoy most!

tigger0229
12-20-2005, 02:16 PM
I'm discovering ALL KINDS OF YARNS> yummy!!
:cheering:

earthchick
12-20-2005, 03:36 PM
I knit the chenille flat and liked it. It does take a little getting used to compared to regular kitchen cotton, but the outcome was worth it, imho.

I think facecloths are such a fun choice for little gifts, esp. with a nice bar of soap or some homemade bath salts.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Lauri B
12-20-2005, 03:48 PM
Cottontots is wonderful for face cloths! Fabulous! It's a joy to knit with - I prefer it to pricier yarn shop cottons. I've used Peter Pan/Wendy baby chenille, but it doesn't wash as well.

tigger0229
12-20-2005, 04:23 PM
facecloths are great!! and I never thought of pairing it with soaps and such for a nice gift.

jessi_9783
12-21-2005, 03:44 AM
See I told you people really like their Cottontots for face/washcloths.http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/thumb.gif

tigger0229
12-21-2005, 10:10 AM
lol, yes you did! sounds like it's the most popular.
I'll have to try and find after christmas.

partydiva
12-25-2005, 09:32 PM
This is a great discussion. Before I started knitting (3 weeks ago), I would've never thought that you could use the squares for anything other than a potholder :?? . Now I am enlightened to find out that different yarns can be used to make washcloths and facecloths, which are something that I am always buying. My eyes are wide open now and I will be looking for some yarns tomorrow morning. Michaels is opening up at 7 am so that will give me plenty of time to run in and out before the "after-the-holidays" crowd comes in with their returns.

A few questions before I venture out though. I saw the pic that Jessi posted of her washcloths. The one on the top looks like the edge is finished somehow. Can you tell what you did? And also, this might be a little far fetched, but can you make towels to match? I was just asking because I thought it would be a nice take-home gift for a special guest in your house.

Thanks

Ingrid
12-25-2005, 10:12 PM
Those washclothes are knit on the diagonal, and the act of increasing combined with the edge stitches creates that edge. Here (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/bath.php) are lots of free patterns for bath stuff. If you wanted to make a towel to match a washcloth--there's nothing to stop you.

jessi_9783
12-26-2005, 01:41 AM
A few questions before I venture out though. I saw the pic that Jessi posted of her washcloths. The one on the top looks like the edge is finished somehow. Can you tell what you did? And also, this might be a little far fetched, but can you make towels to match? I was just asking because I thought it would be a nice take-home gift for a special guest in your house.

Thanks