PDA

View Full Version : OT: We have a new family member!

ChroniclesofYarnia
12-21-2005, 10:54 AM
He is an eight month old Basset Hound, and his name is Bishop. I don't have any pictures yet until I figure out where my daughters stowed my camera. He is really cute, likes to chew alot, has to be carried downstairs (and he is a good 40 lbs), and likes to unroll the toilet paper.

If anyone has any toilet training tips, or any tips in general, i'd love them. YOu can never have too much info.

tigger0229
12-21-2005, 11:18 AM
oh how sweet. hey, he's big already I bet!

knitncook
12-21-2005, 11:36 AM
Bassett hounds can be SO sweet. I highly recommend training classes. The pros have so many good ideas on how to work with different dogs and their individual attitudes. Even the places like Petsmart are good. My dad has to carry his sheltie and chihuahua up and down the stairs. The chihuahua isn't a problem, but the sheltie is 35-40 pounds with fragile hips (been hit by a car twice before my folks got him) and my dad only has 0 good arms (he's recently had surgery for a torn rotator cuff on one and damaged the other rotator cuff right after that!)

Have fun with your new "baby"

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-21-2005, 11:39 AM
we had a basset mix when I was growing up.... BooBoo is 15 or 16 years old now, and still lives with my mom. I really think bassets are the best dogs (duh). Small, goo listeners, loveable, and OF COURSE cute.

i miss my dog :verysad: post pictures quickly!!!

Jan in CA
12-21-2005, 11:53 AM
Congratulations! They are so cute!

TP tips- Our kitty liked to unroll the toilet paper when she was younger and what we did was turn the paper around so it pulled from underneath. Once she realized she couldn't do it anymore she left it alone and we soon could turn it back so it rolled over the top like we liked it. ;) Another alternative is to take if off the roll entirely and set it on the counter or whatever till the puppy is old enough to leave it alone.

Jenelle
12-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Aww congrats!!!

I actually have no training tips for you. It's been so long since we had a puppy to train that its pathetic.

All I know is give them alot of attention and love. ;)

rebecca
12-21-2005, 12:29 PM
CONGRATULATIONS :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: We used to have a Basset...Droopy Dolly Peabody and she was a WONDERFUL dog ;) :happydance: :happydance:

kemp
12-21-2005, 12:35 PM
Congratulations! Having a new pupy is so fun (yet trying, at times). Best of luck :)

Angelia
12-21-2005, 01:23 PM
Congratulations! I love Bassets...love them! You're so lucky!

And "Bishop" is such a cool name!

Can't wait for the pics!