PDA

View Full Version : Booga Bag Bewilderment

nicolethegeek
12-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Well I showed a pic of the booga bag to my best friend, and another close friend of ours, and we all NEED this bag! We're gonna be doing a little mini-KAL after New Years because my best friend and I are teaching our other friend how to knit using this pattern. We figured the felting process would cover any of her beginner imperfections. We're calling it the Booger Bag {bigger booga! :roflhard:} Now I have a bunch of questions for all of you that have made this since I've been entrusted with getting the supplies for our group project!

1. The pattern calls for Noro Kureyon which has a gauge of 18 sts = 4" on 4.5mm (US 7) needles, and we want to substitute with Ram Wools Selkirk which has a gauge of 19sts = 4" on 4.5mm (US 7) needles. Since this is so close, we wouldn't need to adjust the pattern for that, correct?

2. Many of you have mentioned doubling the WOTA for this project. I can't see anything in the pattern directions to double the yarn. Would we need to double the Selkirk?

3. We want to make it twice as big in length and width, so we are guesstimating 3-4 times the yardage, does that sound about right?

4. For those of you that striped your bags, did you follow a specific pattern, or just did it up as you went? Also, how many colours for stripes did you use?

Any and all help/suggestions would be appreciated.

tigger0229
12-21-2005, 05:53 PM
hey nicole, sounds like it will be a fun kal!
i'm in the process and i'm just doing my own striping.
some will be larger and some smaller.
also I doubled the lion wool, as they said that would make it stronger.

kitkat
12-21-2005, 05:57 PM
You can't really make a mistake with gauge with this, as the old saying goes "close only counts with hand grenades and booger bags!"

Re doubling - that is personal preference. I did not double mine, and when I do one with Noro Kureyon, no way will I double - otherwise you will lose the cool striped effect.

Re striping - this is strictly up to you. You can't go wrong, really! I did mine in pink with purple stripes, and when I got tired, I made a stripe change! WEEE!!! If you wanted to do twenty different colors, no reason you couldn't!

Re the yardage, yeah that sounds safe to me!

Booga on!