PDA

View Full Version : Grocery Store Knitting Accessories

Debbie
12-21-2005, 09:15 PM
I bought a turkey baster at the grocery store today, to use for "Dyeing Wool with Powdered Drink Mixes" per Creative Knitting January 2006 page 63.

My DH was helping put away groceries ... which he NEVER does .... and when he saw it he said ... "I thought we were having ham for Christmas Dinner" I said .... we are .... he just looked at it and said .... ok.

I didn't even try to explain .... but I laugh every time I think about it. :lol:

Edited Title from We are having ham for Christmas dinner

Ingrid
12-21-2005, 10:09 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard:

itscryttle
12-22-2005, 12:23 AM
:roflhard: :thumbsup:

Were having ham too!

brendajos
12-22-2005, 12:33 AM
lol i saw that subject and thought "wow that's random......all right" :rofling:

silly husbands.....trying to understand! :rollseyes:

Debbie
12-22-2005, 10:26 AM
I was thinking of other things I have purchased at the grocery store for knitting ...

bamboo skewers - sanded and topped with polymar clay for knitting needles

string licorice - we used it at our Kids Knit Christmas party to have a cast on contest and a tie the most slip knots competition (along with the bamboo skewers... as is out of the package, not sanded)

Electrasol 2 in 1 tabs and Slim Jims - the tube "boxes" will make perfect knitting neelle holders once I knit and felt a cover

M&M's - row counters .... thanks Hildie ... BEST knitting hint I ever got

fancy ended toothpicks - little knitted swatch for gift tags

plastic bags and containers - always checking the size to see if needles will fit

Anyone else knit shop no matter what kind of store they are in????
What did you buy ... I probably need one too!

nicolethegeek
12-22-2005, 11:55 AM

Please explain... although M&Ms never last in our house, no matter how big the bag! :lol:

I use plastic food containers to hold my dpns and other small items. M&M minis containers hold yarn needles. I also have a toothbrush holder that I use for my crochet hooks. It only has 4 holes, so it's useless in our family {our house ranges from 6-9 ppl!}, and it looks kinda cute on my desk with the hooks sticking out of it!

InterNette
12-22-2005, 12:08 PM
Debbie those are brilliant ideas. I have to admit I have never looked with knitting eyes in the grocery store, but I will have to try it now. I have lost about 6 tapestry needles so now I have them on an old credit card size from the fridge magnet, no more cats stealing them or magical disappearance.

brendajos
12-22-2005, 12:15 PM

Please explain... although M&Ms never last in our house, no matter how big the bag! :lol:

aah that's the best trick ever.....ya have 20 rows to knit, line up 20 M&Ms....finish a row....eat an M&M! :thumbsup:

Vendie
12-22-2005, 01:15 PM
Oh this would never work in my house. Either a cat, a dog, or a husband would walk by and swipe one off the table. I'll have to come up with something no one likes... :thinking:

nicolethegeek
12-22-2005, 01:17 PM
aah that's the best trick ever.....ya have 20 rows to knit, line up 20 M&Ms....finish a row....eat an M&M! :thumbsup:
Sounds great... in theory... in my house, either my DS or DD would get their hands on them and screw up my count... just like they do WITHOUT the M&Ms!!! :roflhard:

Jenelle
12-22-2005, 01:26 PM
I used chopsticks from resturants for dpn's. I had to take a pencil sharpener and get the other side to about where the other one is and then sanded them down. They work like a dream too:)

brendajos
12-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Oh this would never work in my house. Either a cat, a dog, or a husband would walk by and swipe one off the table. I'll have to come up with something no one likes... :thinking:

lol i think you have to do what y'all do when they want something from you the way it is....."wait until i finish this row and then you can have one!"

;)

Ingrid
12-22-2005, 01:51 PM
How about lima beans? ;)

nicolethegeek
12-22-2005, 02:02 PM
How about lima beans? ;)
I *like* lima beans! :rollseyes:

feministmama
12-22-2005, 02:02 PM
looked with knitting eyes in the grocery store

I am ALWAYS looking with knitting eyes. Sometimes I even look with other eyes too. Ooo that paper would make great stationary. Or that box would be a great CD holder. Those crates would make great shelves. I guess I have recycling eyes. :lol:

Debbie
12-22-2005, 02:25 PM
Same here, feministmama ... My current theme in the library is Warm Up with a Good Book .... EVERYTHING that resembles cold or snow or winter or burrrrrr .... becomes part of the theme. Part of the reason I chose it is so I can use mittens and scarves and some of my knitting childrens books :)

InterNette
12-23-2005, 02:54 AM
Debbie dont tell me your cold in florida? It is 58 and my roommate has a sweater on and the heat running, meanwhile I am in shorts and wondering why he and the cats are bundled up with 3 blankets on his bed.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-23-2005, 07:47 AM
OMG 58 degrees??????????? I'd be NAKED!

The M&M trick came from one of the women I used to S&B with (I've abandoned them for YOU ALL, hahaha). Wouldn't little shots glasses of wine work just as wel, though?

BEANS???

Ingrid
12-23-2005, 09:40 AM
I mentioned beans because then no one else would take them. ;)

InterNette
12-23-2005, 11:00 AM
My mom use to do the M&M tricks with my sister when she was little to get her to work harder on her homework.

Angelia
12-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Wow, the M&M tip is brilliant! I knit with a bag of 'em by my side anyway, usually. Though I do suspect lining them up would lead to kitty interference...beans wouldn't work either in that regard.

I've wondered about chopsticks as dpns--glad to know they work! We've got several packs of them tucked away in a drawer. Now I need to get a decent pencil sharpener. Mine chews rather than sharpens....

Andrea
12-23-2005, 01:11 PM
OMG 58 degrees??????????? I'd be NAKED!

The M&M trick came from one of the women I used to S&B with (I've abandoned them for YOU ALL, hahaha). Wouldn't little shots glasses of wine work just as wel, though?

BEANS???

Or bottles of beer :thinking: :thinking:
:figureditout:

Angelia
12-23-2005, 01:14 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I have a feeling that row counting would be the least of your worries were that your plan!

Andrea
12-24-2005, 02:08 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I have a feeling that row counting would be the least of your worries were that your plan!

Suddenly knitting gets very funny and I laugh at my yarn and needles...I've gone as much as 3 beers, then I have to put everything down before I poke myself in the eye! :lol:

Like last night, for example; my DH and I went out to dinner and I had a couple (three)...I told him I needed to go home to knit for Christmas, so he stayed at the restaurant while I came home. His parting words were "Now go home and KNIT, don't sit on the internet and BLOG all night!!" :roflhard: :roflhard:

Debbie
12-24-2005, 02:34 PM
Internette .... no not cold at all in Florida ... The only thing close to winter and snow that the kids see is the decorations and theme in the library! Many have never seen snow! I look for things to create the ILLUSION :) Sitting here in shorts ant t shirt at 76 degrees :) As you know .... lots and lots of poinsettia growing OUTSIDE and oranges and grapefurit on the trees ... Floirda decorations! I am from north west Texas where it does snow and have to laugh when people here wear hats and mittens and heavy coats when it is 60 degrees!

InterNette
12-24-2005, 03:05 PM
my goodness Debbie I can relate. My roommate is bundled, him and the cats. I am in shorts, t shirt and barefeet.
Did ya ever see a poinsetta bush? My neighbor in our previous home put one in the yard and grew all year and was at least 4 feet high and wide. It was beautiful.

Angelia
12-24-2005, 07:24 PM
His parting words were "Now go home and KNIT, don't sit on the internet and BLOG all night!!" :roflhard: :roflhard:

:roflhard: :roflhard:

Well, WE know which you did; what did you tell the dh you did?