PDA

View Full Version : The Booga Bag

Nuu
12-22-2005, 03:10 AM
Hehe, I SO want to make this one. ^_^

I was at Michael's today, and I would like to know which would be better to use for this bag: Patons Merino Wool, or Lion Brand Wool-Ease? And for either one, what size needles would I use?

Just curious. ^_^

Nuu ^_^

Jan in CA
12-22-2005, 03:28 AM
Wool-Ease won't work because it's machine washable wool. The Patons Merino looks like it would be okay, but check the label.

Yarn for felting must not be treated to make it machine washable and must be mostly wool or animal fiber. Many of us are using Wool of the Andes aka WOTA (http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/yarn_display.aspx?itemid=5420103) because it's very inexpensive and felts great! There are other brands that will felt, too.

Nuu
12-22-2005, 02:33 PM
Hmmmm...thanks for that. At Michael's they had a knitted sample, and a felted sample for the Merino Wool. I was curious as to which one was better, and I'm sorry about the mix-up in names. I think the Lion Brand was Lion Wool, not certain. I was taken by the Merino Wool, so I forget the other's name. ^_^

I saw the Merino Wool felted sample, and decided that if I make the bag with it, I may double the yarn for a sturdier bag, but I'm not certain. I'll check again.

If I do make it in this wool, should I get needles of the size listed on the label? I only have 2 pairs of knitting needles (circular) right now, a Boye 4mm, and a Susan Bates 4.5mm. I'm trying to get my hubby to let me get a set of Denise needles; we'll see how that goes, but I'm too impatient to wait on them. ^_^

Nuu ^_^

amy
12-26-2005, 08:35 PM
When substituting yarn for a felted pattern, find out what gauge the wool NORMALY knits at (for non-felted pattern) and get a yarn that knits at the same gauge normally. Use the needle size recommended for the pattern, which will be larger for felted items than is normal for the pattern.

I'm pretty sure (from memory) that the booga bag takes a standard worsted weight yarn (usually knit at 4.5 sts/inch) so substitute another worsted weight. I'm guessing it uses 10.5 US needles, but look at the pattern.

Have fun, I hope we get to see pics of your project! :D

Jeremy
12-27-2005, 12:24 AM
Yup, worsted wool with 10.5 needles is exactly what I did.

DotMom61
12-28-2005, 11:26 AM
Hi Nuu ...

I've been knitting a variation of this pattern using 2 strands of worsted -- I've used mostly Lamb's Pride, but I've also used Noro Kureyon as the 2nd strand. I'm now knitting one using 2 strands of Wool of the Andes. I would *highly* recommend 2 strands. I've done one bag w/ only 1 strand, and it is quite thin and stretchy.

I also wanted to mention is that I've been using a size 11 needle for these, and they come out to be a nice size -- just a wee bit larger than the regular Booga.

Just thought I'd throw in another choice to confuse you! ;) Good luck with your bag, and make sure you post pics when you're done!

Nuu
12-28-2005, 02:43 PM
Thanks for all the help. ^_^

I plan on getting the Merino wool this Friday and starting it soon. I have to wait till Friday because my hubby said he'll take me to Michael's, and he said, "I like that place". I don't know whether he actually does, or if he's coming along to curb my spending. XD I have recently gotten a yarn bug, buying yarn that interests me. The one yarn I'd like to collect is Paton's Be Mine. So soft. ^_^ Baby yarn, yes, but it's nice. ^_^

Nuu ^_^