PDA

View Full Version : Sweater pattern is making me scowl

weepop
12-26-2005, 09:40 PM
Hi so i've just started on the "somewhat cowl" http://knitandtonic.typepad.com/knitandtonic/2005/12/the_somewhat_co.html

I'm super confused.
It's knitted from the top down. with casting on, the PM, then casting on, PM, etc. to work each section on the same circular needle. Then it says:

Working back and forth, increase (Kfb) before and after each marker
on every RS row. At the same time, increase in the first and last
stitch on the needle on each RS row, 2 (2, 2, 4, 4, 4) times.

When raglan žincrease seamÓ (measured on diagonal from neck to
underarm) measures 10 (10.5, 11, 11.5, 12.5, 13.5, 14.5) inches, on
next RS row, knit across left front to first sleeve marker, place sleeve
stitches on scrap yarn, CO 1 (1, 2, 2, 4, 4), PM, CO 1 (1, 2, 2, 4, 4),
work across back to next sleeve marker. Place sleeve stitches on
scrap yarn. CO 1 (1, 2, 2, 4, 4), PM, CO 1 (1, 2, 2, 4, 4). Continue
knitting to end. Purl back.

Under abbreviations, it calls for the M1 and KFB increases.

my questions are thus: How can you do a M1 increase when its on the first stich? also, how can you do two increases in a row like that? (is it necessary to an M1 increase there (which confuses me to no end), wouldn't a bar increase work as well (kfb)? The second question is after you cast on, is the first row you knit the right side row? or am i supposed to knit one row before i start the pattern after casting on? also, the raglan increase seam measurement, does she mean down or across, because as you increase the project gets really wide before it gets long. Also, she doesn't say to knit the thing in st st, until the third paragraph where she then says,
[color=olive][PM - Place marker
Continue working body back and forth in St st until it measures 11.5
(12, 12.5, 13, 13.5, 14. 14.5) inches.
/color] Does this mean the whole thing should be st st?

oh sigh.
thanks,
teri

Ingrid
12-26-2005, 10:34 PM
I would do whatever increase works at the beginning of the row.

After you cast on, the first row is usually considered the front.

As for the raglan seam, that's what you're measuring. As you increase on both sides of the marker, you'll see a 'seam' developing. You'll measure this line of increases for the 10 inch mark.

Do the whole thing in stockinette stitch unless it specifies otherwise later on.

And stop scowling. Do you want your face to freeze like that? ;)

weepop
12-26-2005, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the quick response Ingrid! Do you have any recommends for the increase, it should definitely be the first stich though right?

scowling less!

thanks again,

teri

PS you helped me with the earflap hat ( http://www.plasticsoul.org/18seconds.html )and thank you sooo much. I've got one earflap to redo (i'm redoing it, it looks tiny... I did a second one - the first one i didn't l'ike her gauge, i went from a 9 to a 10 1/2, and yay my tiny head does not feel shrunk).

Ingrid
12-26-2005, 10:47 PM
From what I can tell, you'll be increasing in the first and last stitch of each row, and before and after the markers. If you wanted, you could do a M1 between the first and second stitch and between the last st and the one before it. Either that or do kfb in the first and last st. You only do this for either 2 or 4 rows, so I don't think the method is any big deal.

:D :D :D

weepop
12-26-2005, 11:11 PM
no matter which way i do it the increase looks bumpy. why only 3 or so rows i thought it was for 10"?

thanks!
teri

Ingrid
12-26-2005, 11:30 PM
The increases next to the markers are for 10 inches, the ones at the beginning and the end:

At the same time, increase in the first and last

weepop
12-27-2005, 12:06 AM
maybe i need to go eat dinner... i thought...well it says

When raglan žincrease seamÓ (measured on diagonal from neck to
underarm) measures 10 (10.5, 11, 11.5, 12.5, 13.5, 14.5) inches, on
next RS row, knit across left front to first sleeve marker, place sleeve
stitches on scrap yarn
CO 1 (1, 2, 2, 4, 4), PM, CO 1 (1, 2, 2, 4, 4),
work across back to next sleeve marker. Place sleeve stitches on
scrap yarn. CO 1 (1, 2, 2, 4, 4), PM, CO 1 (1, 2, 2, 4, 4). Continue
knitting to end. Purl back.

Continue working body back and forth in St st until it measures 11.5
(12, 12.5, 13, 13.5, 14. 14.5) inches

i thought 13.5 inches (For my bust) would be length not width..
i mean it was close to 13 or so when i started out!

i'm so confused.

sigh,

thanks,
teri

Ingrid
12-27-2005, 12:14 AM
Let's take it from the top.

You're starting at the top of the sweater.

In the beginning you increase at the ends of the rows and before and after your markers.

You only do the increases at the beginning and end of the rows for the first 2 or 4 right side rows.

You continue the increases before and after the markers for the 10 inches or so, which will be measured on the line formed by the increases. This line will go from the neck to the underarm.

weepop
12-27-2005, 12:49 AM
I wasn't doing 4 rows of one increase in begining, end and at Markers, i was doing 4 increases at the beginning, the end and one on either side of the markers. i was increasing too much and thats why the increases looked horrible!

Abbreviations and Terms
At the same time, increase in the first and last

To me meant increase the first and last on each row 4 times, not 4 rows! egads... no wonder i was having so many problems. Thank you sooo much.. I'd promise to post photos as i get futher, but i hope i can make it! i've already frogged 4 times as i fumbled the directions. sigh. no longer scowling. thank you so so much!

thanks,
teri

Ingrid
12-27-2005, 01:31 AM
:cheering: :cheering: