PDA

View Full Version : 2006--The Year of the Sweater Week 11 UPDATE p45

Pages : 1 [2] 3

KellyK
01-04-2006, 10:55 PM
Hang in there, Anne! You're doin a GREAT job! :thumbsup:

gimmesanity
01-04-2006, 11:26 PM
I :heart: the color, Anne. You go, gurl!!

~Sharon

sogrammatical
01-05-2006, 12:52 AM
I finished my gauge swatch this afternoon and I am in gauge! Now I just need to go out and buy longer needles (I did the swatch on a 16" circular).

But before I get the needles, I have a question. The pattern calls for size 10 needles for most of the sweater and size 8 needles for the ribbing. I got gauge on 10.5s. Should I go up to 9s for the ribbing or will 8s be ok?

carollovesyarn
01-05-2006, 01:27 AM
I finished my gauge swatch this afternoon and I am in gauge! Now I just need to go out and buy longer needles (I did the swatch on a 16" circular).

But before I get the needles, I have a question. The pattern calls for size 10 needles for most of the sweater and size 8 needles for the ribbing. I got gauge on 10.5s. Should I go up to 9s for the ribbing or will 8s be ok?
Well, the difference between US10 and US8 is 1mm, and 1mm smaller than US10.5 is US9, so I'd start with 9 and see how it looks.

sogrammatical
01-05-2006, 02:29 AM
Also, since I'm going to have to buy all new needles for this project, what have you guys found to be the most useful length for circular needles?

Jan in CA
01-05-2006, 02:41 AM
I just ordered a set of Denise interchangeables because it's just getting too expensive to keep buying separate ones. I don't know what the most common size is..it seems each project requires a new one! :?? ;)

SkoXylo
01-05-2006, 03:31 AM
My yarn is on a plane right now somewhere over the Pacific on its way here. Hurah! I think my new favorite part of this sweater is that it's going to come from all over. Yarn from England, needles from Germany and Japan, stitch markers from France, knitting in the US.

I had a ball of the yarn I'm using here in a different color, so I managed a gauge swatch (I even washed it!). It's perfect. Oh, and I am now even more in love with Rowan Calmer yarn. The stuff is just so darned stretchy. Even I can't mess it up! :happydance:

javede
01-05-2006, 03:41 AM
Am I too late? Can I still participate? Can I? Hmm? please :pray:

Somehow I missed this thread, though it seems impossible to miss a thread as big as this one!
But I already have the yarn for my sweater, the pattern and I even began knitting!
I'm going to use "Luna" from Rellana, which is a multicolored yarn in brown and natural white(see it here (http://orangmerajut.blogspot.com/2005/12/christmas-and-cici.html) on my blog, it's the one in the back of the pic). I'm knitting another Klaralund out of it, so not exactly a spring sweater :blush:
I already finished the back, but I started it this week. So...
...can I?

I'm not going to wash my swatch because merino style can't be WASHED. I'll just spray it with fabreeze, cuz that's what I'll end up doing to my sweater. That's how I did almost all of my laundry in college, and everything turned out fine!
If it's 100% wool, all you you have to do is hang it outside, it should more or less clean itself, depending on the way the yarn was made.

KellyK
01-05-2006, 08:11 AM
Lisa.....If I didnt have my interchangeables, I would get 16" and 24" everything. :thumbsup:

earthchick
01-05-2006, 08:19 AM
Ditto KK. :thumbsup:

Is it bad that I like buying new needles so much? :blush:

Jazzmatazz
01-05-2006, 08:31 AM
My yarn came (Kim cotton and acrylic in Sage) and I did 3 gauge swatches before getting it right. Is it normal to have to go up 2 needle sizes from the recommended size? This yarn feels good to knit with and I love the color. The pattern, Bob seems pretty simple. It's my first time doing anything with sleeves, but at least they're raglan.

KellyK
01-05-2006, 08:36 AM
If you're a tight knitter, going up 2 needle sizes wouldnt be unusual. ;)

Emeraldcutie
01-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Wanted to post an update.
Iam doing the Bob pattern from the knitty site.
Iam using Bernat Satin (leftover from another project).
Iam going to switch it up a bit and do the main body black and put some colour in the upper body where the ribbing begins. (Burgandy and yellow).
Here's my progress so far. It's a really easy knit and has so far been alot of fun.

earthchick
01-05-2006, 01:24 PM
WTG, emeraldcutie! :thumbsup:

Just got back from LYS with my shiny new Addis. They are SOOOO yummy. I pulled them out of their package at a stoplight and just sat there clicking them, pretending to knit. It was just luscious. (At size 13, these now are the largest Addis I own, and there's just something extra-fun about clicking those fat sleek needles together.) Now I can hardly wait for my yarn to get here!!! I'm going to go ahead and do another gauge swatch while I wait - partly to test my gauge with the Addis (since I used bamboo yesterday) and partly b/c I just want to use these little darlings.

Yes, I am a freak. :shock:

foldedbird
01-05-2006, 01:26 PM
earthchick, we are ALL freaks. I admire you for not pulling them out to knit at the register! I have done that before!!! And, my first pair of Addi's, I knit with them before I paid for them.

earthchick
01-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Oh, Denise, that is hilarious! I love the image of you in the knitting store testing out those babies.

I'm also glad to be a part of a sisterhood of freaks. :happydance: :XX: :happydance: :XX:

Lady M
01-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Ladies Ladies Ladies...........

I just got home from an 80 mile drive, one way to Yarnantiques, to sit in the middle of their floor ( its a family run place ) and run my hands over skiens and slkines of exotic yarns, . I orderded a set of Deniese Interchangables from them, which tap'ed me out of cash, and almost cried because I didnt dare but more yarn after all that I ordered last week. I can STILL feel those lucious strands in my fingers right now........... It was PURE RAPTURE !!!!!!!!!!

Now thats a FREAK !!!! :thumbsup:

Freaky :waving: Anne

KellyK
01-05-2006, 03:53 PM
I would think you more freaky if you DIDNT roll aroudn in yarn whenever given the chance!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-05-2006, 07:57 PM
and we all know how much KK loves to roll around in yarn (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2271&highlight=&sid=3a1b349f26848c0bc4d7b34a67e7ff02)

I got my yarn today YAYAYYA!!! Happy swatching for ME!!!!

Angelia
01-05-2006, 08:00 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

(not for swatching....just for getting the yarn!)

foldedbird
01-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Oh, Denise, that is hilarious! I love the image of you in the knitting store testing out those babies.

I'm also glad to be a part of a sisterhood of freaks. :happydance: :XX: :happydance: :XX:
I kid you not, it really happened! There was no way I was going to pay $15.00 for Addi's without knowing if they were as good as I'd heard they were. Now, I order from eBay or buy Inox Express. Inox Epress don't have as great joins as Addi's do, BUT they are cheaper and easily accessible.

foldedbird
01-05-2006, 08:09 PM
My applause for swatching! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: Now, if you'll just handwash your sweater, stinky!

We're still waiting on our yarn & needles. Thank god I have magic loop swatching to keep me busy...Melanie is going NUTS!

Lady M
01-05-2006, 08:13 PM
I was thinking....................

If you took a waterbed frame and filled it with your stash , you could woller around in you heavenly fibers all night long !!!!!!!!!!

ohhhhhhhh yeahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Anne :roflhard:

Angelia
01-05-2006, 08:15 PM
:inlove: :inlove:

Oh dear...I'd never leave!

Lady M
01-06-2006, 12:36 AM
I need some good advise

As you all know I have started knitting this vest and its about 7 inches up from the bottom and all is well , but this yarn totaly sux..........

Its that Red Heart crap from the wall mart and the more I knit the more that I can see the little splits in it and the stiffness of the fabric it is creating. After going to my LYS today I got a real feel for what nice yarn was all about. Should I frog this and save the yarn for a crochet afghan and wait for my good yarn to get here. This sweater is going to take a while because it is big and im starting to think that I should wait and have a nice soft wool vest instead of a acrylic one.........

What do you guys think ?

Anne

foldedbird
01-06-2006, 12:41 AM
Is the piece still rectangular or square shaped? Maybe you could bind it off as is, and donate it to a charity seeking knitted squares for blankets...something like Warm Up America, or the like? I think that would be an excellent idea.

And yes, Red Heart does suck!

Angelia
01-06-2006, 12:43 AM
If you're going to spend a lot of time on it, and if it really is something you want to wear and cherish, use a good yarn. If you're already hating the Red Heart, you're likely to knit this thing and then NEVER wear it.

Get something luscious and revel in it as it slides through your fingers!

Lady M
01-06-2006, 12:47 AM
Its 40 inches long and 7 inches high....... and the patter is pretty but i am being totaly honest when I say that this yarn is so rough that it is what is making my hands sore.......the yarn that I used at the LYS just slid thru my fingers like silk. if I haden't went there I would have never known until my yarn gets shipped.

I will just frog it and chalk it up to practice. at least I know that I am knitting this pattern on gauge.......

Thanks for the advise.......... I will take it to the good will with the other things that I have to send.........actually if I bind it off, it would make a small scarf for a child........ thank you for the great Idea

Anne :thumbsup:

PS.......... Good Yarn is really worth the wait !!!

knitterma
01-06-2006, 12:59 AM
My yarn's still not here. :(

Jan in CA
01-06-2006, 01:01 AM
Now you know why everyone curses Red Heart, Anne. LOL Good yarn doesn't have to be expensive either. It tends to be quite high at LYS, but online it's much better. I felt some Debbie Bliss Silk Cashmere yesterday..it's to die for!! :inlove:

foldedbird
01-06-2006, 01:02 AM
Ours either. But, I figure that the longer it takes to get here, the more time I can tell T I need alone at the coffee shop to catch up! I could spend whole DAYS out of the house, away from the kids! Maybe it'll take my yarn a month to get here!

foldedbird
01-06-2006, 01:02 AM
Knit Picks shine is also to DIE for, and it's only $2.29!!!

Lady M
01-06-2006, 01:11 AM
I bought my yarn from Knit Picks

It was this kind

Wool of the Andes
Content: 100% Peruvian Highland Wool
Amount: 110 yards/50 grams ball
Gauge: 4.5-5 sts=1" on #6-9 needles

In the Asparagus - Picture of color is below

I started to get Shine and Twist but I had to order 23 skeins and i went for the cheaper stuff........ because I bought those denise interchangables too........ Im hiding the bill when it gets here.......... what the hubby don't know wont hurt him at all...........especially when I have about 75 skiens of good ole Red Heart in my stash........ Not sure what to do with it all now......... it is good for crocheting , but after knitting.........I dont know if I can go back to anything else...............Im HOOKED !!!

Anne

Angelia
01-06-2006, 01:15 AM
Oooh, that is a yummy color. I love love love green!

And we won't say anything about your purchases!

Lady M
01-06-2006, 01:24 AM
I don't think I will start this sweater again until my denise set gets here, because this pattern is so simple that I could work it in the round with that big 52" circular and not have to do all of that purling......

Making that pattern on the Red heart yarn allowed me to learn the pattern and I think that it would be very easy to convert to in the round and when I get to the arms I can always keep my stitches live and knit the top one side at the time if I have too...........

Where there's a WILL there is a WAY !!!

Anne.......... I think I am becomming Enlighted tonight on Knitting Yarn

sogrammatical
01-06-2006, 01:51 AM
I'm leaving for vacation on Saturday and I'll be gone for two weeks. I'm not taking my sweater yarn because it's a lot of yarn to squeeze into my luggage and then I won't be able to ask you guys questions when I mess up! So I'm going to have to make up for lost time and knit-knit-knit when I get back. Don't get too far ahead of me!

(I almost don't want to go because I'll miss part of this KAL! I'm terrible.)

Anne - if you're not sure what to do with all your Red Heart yarn, I've found that it's actually pretty good for making crochetted hats. It's not especially soft, but it holds its shape well so it doesn't get misshapen with too much love. Simple ones are really quick to make so you could whip some up and donate them to a homeless shelter or something.

earthchick
01-06-2006, 09:04 AM
My Knit Picks order has shipped! It went out yesterday afternoon, and the email says it'll be here in 5-14 calendar days. But it's only coming from about 5 hours away, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it might even arrive this weekend. A girl can hope, right? [Last time I ordered from them, it seemed to arrive super-quick, but I can't remember how quickly that was.] See the KnitPicks ad above? The yarn I've ordered is the middle one - Suri Dream ocean. Yuuuummmmmmmm.

Question about knitting sweaters on circs (the sweater I'm doing for myself is done flat, but I'm thinking of doing a top-down raglan for dh as a gift for our anniversary next month - ambitious much?). The pattern I have calls for an 8 and a 10.5 in 29". Well, to my knowledge, Addis don't come in 29", and you know how I love my Addis. Would 24" work well enough, if I just let the stitches smoosh together a bit?

MaryS
01-06-2006, 11:39 AM
Hi earthchick,

Yes a 24" would work very well in place of a 29".
Hope your KP order arrives soon!!

Happy Knitting :XX:

Mary

earthchick
01-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks, Mary!! :thumbsup:

knitting4babybear
01-06-2006, 03:16 PM
Well I'm a little stalled.

I decided to do hourglass instead once I got the pattern, and I don't like the color in Andean Silk I bought for it, PLUS it's not enough, so I have to reorder. I have addis in the sizes needed for the hourglass on the way too.

At the very least, since I have some Andean Silk, I'm going to do my guage swatch on the addis and the denises I have here - just to play and try to get guage. Then I'll start when the new yarn gets here. Knitpicks is gonna get RICH off me this week. :rollseyes: :roflhard:

jhelanee
01-06-2006, 06:43 PM
After seeing everyone else talking about their projects, I am being slowly sucked in...

I am considering joining in with Blaze (http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTblaze.html) in KnitPicks Shine. Does anyone have any advice regarding this pattern or yarn before I make my final decision? :thinking:

BTW this will be my third sweater and I have done lots of cables so the "piquant" rating doesn't worry me. ;)

Angelia
01-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Oooh, I've been coveting that sweater for awhile now! :inlove:

KP Andean Silk (http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/yarn_display.aspx?itemid=5420126) would be nice...

CateKnits
01-06-2006, 07:09 PM
I thought about doing Blaze...just after starting Tubey. :rollseyes: I think I like Blaze better, but, alas, Tubey is begun.

Angelia
01-06-2006, 07:14 PM
How far along on Tubey are you? Is it too late to switch?

CateKnits
01-06-2006, 07:16 PM
It's too late for me. :rollseyes: I'll always think of it as The Blaze That Could Have Been Tubey. Realistically, though, I could switch if I wanted to. I've only got ten inches across the back so far.

jhelanee
01-06-2006, 07:31 PM
KP Andean Silk (http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/yarn_display.aspx?itemid=5420126) would be nice...

It would, but I want cotton and like the Shine colors better.

I was also considering Bob (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring03/PATTbob.html) with Endless Summer Collection Connemara (http://secure.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Endless+Summer+Collection+Con nemara&Season=&Company=&Cat=ALLY&ProductType=5&OrderBy=&Count=28). Now I can't decide! :??

knitqueen
01-06-2006, 07:33 PM
If I remember correctly, didn't KellyK make Blaze using Knitpicks Shine??? :thinking:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-06-2006, 09:09 PM
kk STARTED blaze with Shine, but then decided that cables aren't her "thang" so she frogged. She did make soleil (http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTsoleil.html) out of shine, but it was too big for her, so she gave it to MEEEEEE :heart:

Jillle
01-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Oh wise Hilde--
Why didn't I listen to you and knit a SPRING sweater. Its fricken 80 degrees in San Diego right now and I'm knitting the biggest, wooliest sweater ever.
:wall:
Someone mail me some snow!!!

Mer
01-06-2006, 10:46 PM
I'm done with one ball of yarn on my sweater...only 10 or so to go! Debbie Bliss Cathay is sooooo lovely. Smooth and shiney and soft. Mmmmm! :inlove:

Jazzmatazz
01-06-2006, 11:07 PM
My Bob is coming along nicely. I like the Kim yarn a lot. It feels good as I knit it and it seems light for a cotton blend. And guess what, I'm still knitting in gauge as near as I can tell. :cheering:

knitqueen
01-06-2006, 11:26 PM
Here's a thought.....I just read Mer's entry about the Debbie Bliss Cathay and thought to myself, hmmmmmmm, I can't remember what sweater Mer is knitting??

So what if we all, who are participating in the sweater KAL, add what pattern we are using for our sweater so we don't have to go through all kinds of posts to jog our memories?

knitqueen
01-06-2006, 11:32 PM
Now that I've made this suggestion, I can't get my signature to come up :thinking: . Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? When I go into my profile, there it is, but it is not showing up in my posts.

EDITED: Never mind....apparently it only shows up on new posts now. Anyways....

:waving:

earthchick
01-06-2006, 11:53 PM
Great idea, knitqueen. So I just went and added mine to my sig, only I can't figure out how to do a highlighted link in the sig. Can anyone give me some guidance?

silveridger
01-06-2006, 11:56 PM
Well, I'm in. No more excuses about not enough time, either, since I ruptured my ACL (and 2 other ligaments in my knee along with it) and now I am stuck on easy duty for awhile and facing surgery. So, I've chosen Abigail from Knitpicks, in Decadence. It'll only be my second garment, and seems like a good starter sweater. Love the Decadence, it has a nice feel to it. Getting to work on assignment #1 in the morning!

earthchick
01-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Oooh, I'm jealous. That Abigail is adorable, and the Decadence looks yummy. I may have to do that as my fall sweater - in chocolate. Yum!

mintdee
01-07-2006, 12:52 AM
Ooohhh I am jealous as well. I love Decadance! :heart: :heart:

That will be a sweater that you will never want to take off ;)

Happy :XX:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-07-2006, 02:47 AM
ooo good idea knit queen! yay!!!

joe_doufu
01-07-2006, 04:05 AM
Hey, I'm very much a beginner (and oh by the way, male), but I want to try the challenge. Any suggestions for a relatively easy men's sweater? It's not so important that the instructions/pattern are simple, but that they are clear and unambiguous.

I think a light-weight sweater with a wide collar that I can wear over a turtleneck or oxford shirt would be ideal... maybe even a hoodie, if that's not too difficult.

Maybe something like this: http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTleo.html
Or the v-neck on here: http://www.knittingpureandsimple.com/Men.html

Your advice is appreciated!

Angelia
01-07-2006, 08:15 AM
I absolutely LOVE the Leo sweater--plan to make that for my dh, in fact, once I stop being selfish and knitting only sweaters for ME!

earthchick
01-07-2006, 08:59 AM
Ooh, I really like that Leo sweater!

Joe, I am about to start working on what looks like an easy sweater for my dh. It is a top-down raglan, knit on circulars, done in a chunky yarn, and it's supposed to be a quick, easy knit. I'm using a pattern from Little Turtle Knits (http://www.littleturtleknits.com) (not free, but I was willing to pay b/c it comes with such thorough and clear instructions for sizes newborn to XXL). It looks relatively easy to me - I'd definitely recommend it for a beginner sweater knitter (which is what I also am). The pattern includes tutorials on techniques that might be unfamiliar, along with pictures for clarification (actual pictures, not drawings). And Little Turtle Knits patterns are among the most well-laid out, easy-to-follow patterns I know. (They have some free patterns on their site as well, if you want to see how they do patterns).

joe_doufu
01-07-2006, 10:51 AM
What's DH? Domestic helper? Dead husband? Daughter's heart-throb?

joe_doufu
01-07-2006, 10:58 AM
earthchick, I guess you were talking about this one(?):
http://www.littleturtleknits.com/images/raglansweater.jpg
Looks good but a little too bulky and warm. Would it be something that I could adapt for a thin sort of pullover?

nicolethegeek
01-07-2006, 11:15 AM
What's DH? Domestic helper? Dead husband? Daughter's heart-throb?
Dear {or other "D" word that fits depending on your mood!} Husband/Hubby.

earthchick
01-07-2006, 11:21 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: I wish "dh" meant Domestic Helper! :roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard:
[It means "dear husband." Some people have different meanings for the "d" depending on how they are feeling about said husband. Or wife [dw] or son [ds] or daughter [dd]. You get the picture. ;) ]

Anyway, yes, that's the sweater I meant, and yeah, it is pretty bulky and warm, so maybe not great for a spring sweater (well, except where I live). I think it could be adapted with a lighter weight yarn. Or, you can make your own, similar pattern from one of these pattern generators: http://www.woolworks.org/patterns/raglan.html or http://www.knittingfool.com/. I think they are the same basic idea as the Little Turtle Knits sweater, but you can generate the pattern based on whatever yarn you want to use, however light or heavy you want the sweater to be, etc. I've not tried doing a sweater from one of these generators, but I bet sweet Hildie could walk you through if you are daunted by the calculations.... :thumbsup:

joe_doufu
01-07-2006, 01:14 PM
I guess a simple raglan type will be good for my project. Thanks for the links. I'm probably going to use the "generator" from woolworks.org, it seems pretty flexible. Tomorrow I'll go to the wool market and see if I can find a yarn that looks good.

What sort of a fiber should I be looking for? Is pure wool or some kind of blend better for a light spring sweater?

silveridger
01-07-2006, 01:27 PM
Oooh, I'm jealous. That Abigail is adorable, and the Decadence looks yummy. I may have to do that as my fall sweater - in chocolate. Yum!

:thumbsup: I'm doing it in chocolate *now*! I'm in CO, it'll be cold enough for a sweater until April, so I'm considering it a "spring" sweater ;) . I already had some Decadence in tide (that pretty medium blue) which would have been my first choice for at least a spring-like color, but they're out of it until March. The chocolate should be here on Wednesday!

KnittingWounded
01-07-2006, 01:33 PM
Ooh, ooh, can I join in too?

I just found this forum, but as it turns out I started my first sweater this week, so I won't slow you all down. Please, please, pretty please?

I know this is supposed to be a spring sweater, but I fell in love with the Mariah cardigan on Knitty. I love cabling! I'm knitting it in KnitPick's chocolate Andean Wool (I also love chocolate). I have swatched, changed needle sizes, and frogged the first sleeve. I then read the directions and started over again. It looks good so far; I need a digicam!

No one's booted me off, I'll take that as a yes. I'll just swap a Tubey for the fall one while everyone is doing cardigans.

Glad to be here,

Ingrid
01-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Everyone is welcome here!!

There's not set pace for Knit Alongs, and there are no laws as to what you can make. Just jump on it! ;)

lisak
01-07-2006, 05:01 PM
My yarn and pattern came last night!! :cheering: I am SO Excited and can't wait to get started! The yarn is vacation from Knitpicks. It is so soft and kind of shiny. I just hope I can get my gauge done today (other projects in the works too..and the dreaded laundry pile). I have all the needles that it calls for so I'm :pray: I'm on target!

Here are some pics of my yarn:
http://static.flickr.com/39/83511910_fade94285b.jpg
This one's kind of fuzzy sorry
http://static.flickr.com/36/83511912_d561d24082.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/38/83511913_2f225cfa9d.jpg

The pattern seems fairly simple, but I guess I'll soon find out! Not completely knit in the round, but I think the bulk of the body is. It has the word "graft" in there too which I haven't done before either.

Well, hopefully I'll be back with an update before the weekend is over (and hopefully everyone else won't have finished their sweaters by then!!).

gimmesanity
01-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Ooh, Lisa, that yarn looks very yummy. I :heart: :heart: .

Lady M
01-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhh Your Yarn from Knit-Picks is just beautiful !!

I love the color and the pattern you picked out for your sweater will
be perfect!!!

I cant wait until mine gets here, I live in the mountains and our mail
is slow.......... However I did get the NORO Color #95 in today !!!

It is ..............georgous!!! I cant wait to start my booga bag........ but I
am going to wait on it until I get this cable scarf off my needles.

I also got in the 3 skines from Elann........ I bought the Peruvuan Highland Wool in shades 1076, 1742 and 1715......... All diffrent shades of purple , from light to dark.......... I dont know what Im going to use them for yet , but they are scrumptious !!!

I hope that I love the yarn for my sweater as much as I love this last order........if so I will be in HEAVEN !!!

earthchick
01-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Wheeeeee! I'm also among the lucky ones whose yarn arrived today! I'm so excited to get started. The yarn is a slightly different shade than what I had expected based on the online swatch, but I'm totally in love with it.

Lisa, that Vacation yarn looks so pretty! Can't wait to see how it knits up for you. I hope you like working with it. I may make my summer tank out of that (depending on your review!). Are you doing the Sunset Pullover?

Lady M - you got great yarn too! :thumbsup:

Joe, others might have better advice than I do about yarn for a spring sweater. I would think maybe cotton, a cotton/wool blend, or maybe even alpaca? But I don't know, I'm not nearly as experienced as the other sweater knitters around here. Have fun shopping tomorrow - let us know what you get!!

WynnieG
01-07-2006, 10:17 PM
Anne - Where do you order your Noro from? That stuff looks positively edible.

I'm frustrated - I have all my needles and notions, but the yarn hath not arrived yet from knitwerx for the first sweater, therefore I cannot begin. Instead I'm keeping hands busy creating disturbing looking socks.

On a more positive note, I've decided to do the Shapely Tee (http://www.whiteliesdesigns.com/patterns/lpullovers/fbd.html) from White Lies for my second sweater. Many thanks to PHM for leading me to this site today.

Jazzmatazz
01-07-2006, 10:22 PM
I got some Knitpicks Shine today, but it will have to wait till later. The current sweater is going pretty fast, though.

I tried to add links to my siggie, but when I did, I got the dreaded "This page not available" message instead of the pattern and the yarn. I have no clue why. :??

Lady M
01-07-2006, 10:48 PM
Stacy ~ Ohhhhhhhhh your Suri Dream, Ocean yarn is scrumptious. :heart:
The texture makes me want to run a strand thru my fingers and never let go. If it knits as good as it looks, you will be in total bliss knitting your sweater!!!

Whnnie ~ I got my Noro # 95 from a E-bay store. Here is her link
http://stores.ebay.com/Yarnbow. It came super fast and was
excellent yarn. You could try her if you're like me and have to drive
80 miles one way to a LYS other than Michael's or the Walmart.

Gosh I can't wait until I get my pattern and yarn in for my sweater, every day that goes by it gets that much harder to wait....... Mr. Postman PLEASE !!!! :cheering:

Anne

KnittingWounded
01-08-2006, 01:00 AM
Everyone is welcome here!!

There's not set pace for Knit Alongs, and there are no laws as to what you can make. Just jump on it! ;)

:D Thanks for the warm welcome!!! I'm about 1/4 through the first sleeve on Mariah; it looks faboo! I do have what looks like a lazy cable on one side, but I don't think it's that noticable. I would go type A on it, but the cabling in the center looks too good to rip out.

This is my biggest knitting project, so I'm not used to working on the same thing for so long. I have two weeks to get the sleeve done, right? This is going to be so much fun doing this together!

volmel
01-08-2006, 02:18 AM
I just ordered my yarn to join in. I'm knitting Tempting (http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/PATTtempting.html) in Debbie Bliss Cotton Silk Aran color Tangerine, to wear to Tenn. football games this fall. I hope I get it done along with knitting Tubey!

Melissa

Mer
01-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Here's a thought.....I just read Mer's entry about the Debbie Bliss Cathay and thought to myself, hmmmmmmm, I can't remember what sweater Mer is knitting??

So what if we all, who are participating in the sweater KAL, add what pattern we are using for our sweater so we don't have to go through all kinds of posts to jog our memories?

Good idea, KQ! I added mine. :thumbsup:

Volmel, that's the exact yarn I used for my Tempting (except in blac)! I love it, and I get tons of compliments when I wear it.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Year of the Sweater, Week Two

Okay! You have your yarn, pattern, notions. You've knitted a gauge swatch. Now it's time to start knitting!

Your pattern is is probably divided into sections... the ribbing, wasit shaping, body, sleeve and neck shaping, and sleeves. Since we're all doing different patterns, we'll all be doing different things from this point on. That's okay!

Your task this week is to cast on and start knitting the first part of your sweater. You might be casting on and knitting just the ribbing for the front of your sweater. My project (tubey) starts with the sleeves, so I'll be casting on and working on one of the sleeves.

Break this "part" down into manageable chunks. Decide what you're working on this week, and post it on the thread--that was we can help you be accountable. :-) It might be a half of a sleeve, or the back ribbing, or the bottom edging, or whatever. If you set yourself a small, manageable goal-- and then stick to it--the sweater will get done lickety-split!

Remember that the cast-on method you like to use most might not be the one recommended in the pattern. On the other hand, the pattern might not tell you which cast on to use! Some are better than others, and some work better for ribbing, rolled edge, etc. You might need a provisional cast on. Here is a link (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/index.php) to the Cast On page of videos. It tells you waht they are called, alternate names, and even what they work best for. You can always post questions here or in the "how to" forum if you're stuck.

Don't forget to post pictures of your progress! Happy knitting!

wyoknitter
01-08-2006, 05:33 PM
Okay ~ I'm doing Seaside Saavy from the Family Circle Book of Easy Sweaters. So my goal for this week is to cast on and knit at least 8 inches of the back of the sweater. It is in stockinette stitch and I'm using Andes yarn in a variegated blue and green colorway.

Good luck to all !! ( I know I will need it ;)

KellyK
01-08-2006, 06:25 PM

GREAT idea....we could add the name of the sweater in the subject line of the post! :thumbsup:

CateKnits
01-08-2006, 06:28 PM
I'm going to get the first sleeve of Tubey finished this week...I hope. I'm almost finished with the back section between the sleeves. :cheering:

earthchick
01-08-2006, 06:40 PM
Yay! Another assignment! I'm psyched. And extra-psyched b/c it turns out I'm on target. I just cast on this afternoon. I can't believe I'm actually working on my very first sweater! :cheering:

I'm starting with the back of the sweater, and I've now done the 4 rows of garter border followed by maybe an inch and a half of stockinette. I wanted to do more, but two little boys kept foiling my plans! (I wish parenting didn't interfere with knitting so much. ;) ). It's fun to be knitting on size 13s. Not sure what my goal for the week should be. If I do 23 more inches, then the back will be done - that would be a little more than 3 inches a day, and considering how quickly it's knitting up so far, and the fact that I am currently abandoning all other knitting projects to focus on this one, then maybe this is realistic. So I guess my goal will be to finish the back by next Sunday. If I get to the middle of the week and I haven't gotten at least 12 inches done, then I'll revise the goal.

Thanks, Hildie! You're a great leader. :thumbsup: :cheering:

vcuchica931
01-08-2006, 06:52 PM
I ummm, finished the back of my sweater yesterday (Sat) :rollseyes: ..BUT I havent started the next part of my sweater b/c I wanted to see what the next assignment was going to be...I can't help it, I'm just so excited to be doing my first sweater (its all ribbing pretty much, so that's why its going so fast)

I think I'm going to start something else...maybe that'll help slow me down.

If only I had this attitude about studying and homework for my classes

Jazzmatazz
01-08-2006, 07:02 PM
I've done the ribbing along the bottom and finished the first decrease rows. This week I plan to finish the increases and hopefully start the raglan shaping. Who knows how far I'll get because I also just got Sensational Knitted Socks and that book has me whining for the DPNs.

Jillle
01-08-2006, 11:56 PM
I have half of the front section done. Hoping to complete the front this week.

KellyK
01-09-2006, 12:07 AM
My goal is to get the rest of the body done this week. Its in the round, so it goes fairly fast.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-09-2006, 12:19 AM
LOL everyone is ahead of schedule except for me!!! :cheering:

Did i even say what i'm doing? I'm going to try to get one sleeve for tubey finished. Or half a sleeve. (I need low expectations)

joe_doufu
01-09-2006, 01:23 AM
I'm going to use the modestly named pattern The Incredible, Custom-fit Raglan Sweater from http://www.woolworks.org/patterns/raglan.html for my first sweater.

I found a yarn that's 65% cotton, 25% silk, 10% acrylic. It seems to be named "Accent" from the Korean brand "HAND & HAND" (http://www.handnhand.co.kr/). I had found a really nice red + black yarn there before, and was hoping to find a dark-green-and-black version for the sweater. However, I was swayed by this sort of sand-colored cotton yarn. I like the texture, it's more stringy than fuzzy and will make a very lightweight sweater to wear over another shirt. It's speckled with white and darker brown spots, making the individual stitches hard to see... and will hopefully conceal my mistakes.

One worry is that it will be a bit "boring"... I don't want to use a lot of unmanly colors, but maybe I'll go back and add pockets or a hood or something later... can that be done?

earthchick
01-09-2006, 07:12 AM
Nice yarn, Joe! :thumbsup: Great color, great texture. Looks like it'll be perfect for a spring sweater.

KellyK
01-09-2006, 08:15 AM
LOVE the texture of that yarn! Does the acryllic make it machine washable??

And, SUCH an ARTISTIC picture! ;)

earthchick
01-09-2006, 08:21 AM
Oh, and Jazzmatazz, your sweater looks so pretty!

Sara
01-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Joe, adding a pocket wouldn't be a problem after the fact. Adding a hood could be tricky, but I think it could be done even if the sweater is knit top down.

You could pick up stitches around the base of the collar and make a rather loose hood that could look something like the emperor in Star Wars...(I am absolutely certain that people are reading this and thinking "WTH! :?? It's pretty early in the day to be that wasted in New York!") :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I'm not under the influence of drugs or alcohol, honest.

joe_doufu
01-09-2006, 10:08 AM
LOVE the texture of that yarn! Does the acryllic make it machine washable??

And, SUCH an ARTISTIC picture! ;)

Well, I'll toss the swatch into the washer next time I do laundry.

Latest news: I have cast on according to the pattern. Now I have to take time off to learn increases from Amy's video site before I can knit the first row.

lisak
01-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Do we have an emoticon for ripping out your hair?!! I have still not started my gauge swatch because my cell phone provider SUCKS.

Yesterday I spent ALL day on the phone with them because - get this - they gave MY CURRENT cell phone number to a new customer!! So, all my calls were going to HIS phone!!!! AAARRRGG! No wonder I wasn't getting any freakin' calls!!! I was so pissed that I knew if tried to knit I would probably end up breaking all my needles.

I am STILL on hold with them now to get it fixed. I just can't believe I have to go through all this crap for their mistake. AAAAAHHHH.

So....hopefully I can fully catch up this week after my saga is over.

Great job everyone else on your progress and yummy yarns. I am so jealous!

joe_doufu
01-09-2006, 10:19 AM
On the topic of increases, can anybody advise me as to which I should use? Does it make a major difference? According to the instructions, there will be a few increases side by side without "real" stitches in between them. Are certain types of increases better for that?

KellyK
01-09-2006, 10:25 AM
I would try knitting into the F & B of the sts.

joe_doufu
01-09-2006, 11:29 AM
I would try knitting into the F & B of the sts.
Is that the one Amy calls "Bar Increase aka k1f&b (knit 1 front & back) aka kfb (knit front back)" on the video site? I tried it and it seems solid to me.

Sara
01-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Yes, that's it.

Jan in CA
01-09-2006, 01:05 PM
Do we have an emoticon for ripping out your hair?!! I have still not started my gauge swatch because my cell phone provider SUCKS.

Here you go! http://bestsmileys.com/frustrated/7.gif

I can't believe your cell phone provider did that!! What one is it?

lisak
01-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Thanks Jan - that is exactly it!! :lol:

I am with Cingular (was AT&T wireless). I've finally got it fixed and have filed a formal complaint. I am just glad it is OVER with!

jhelanee
01-09-2006, 01:29 PM
Well I have finally decided to do Bob (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring03/PATTbob.html) inEndless Summer Collection Connemara (http://secure.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Endless+Summer+Collection+Con nemara&Season=&Company=&Cat=ALLY&ProductType=5&OrderBy=&Count=28) Oasis Teal (from Elann). I still like Blaze (http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTblaze.html) a lot, but decided that Bob would probably be more flattering on my figure (and because I am tired of cables since my last sweater had tons! ;) )

I ordered my yarn this morning, so now I just have to wait for it to show up. :( Since I am running a bit behind my goal for the week is to knit my swatch and purchase the correct needles if necessary. (Yes I know that sounds backwards, but I have needles to swatch on and since I frequently need a slightly different size than the pattern calls for I don't want to spend my limited funds on the correct length circular until I know what size I actually need.)

Jan in CA
01-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Thanks Jan - that is exactly it!! :lol:

I am with Cingular (was AT&T wireless). I've finally got it fixed and have filed a formal complaint. I am just glad it is OVER with!

Eeek! We have Cingular, too. We are about ready to change to Verizon though...I think. Glad you got it settled and like the icon. ;)

KnittingWounded
01-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Well, so far I have about 1/4 of the first sleeve done. It has turned out to be a time-consuming experiment in cabling; I am actually starting to understand the dynamics of cabling! I can't wait to try designing one myself now :happydance:

I am going to try very hard get this sleeve done this week; I am rejoining the collegiate class on the 17th, and the pattern is just not bus material. I'm thinking 2-3 weeks for both sleeves then a month or so for the body. This is my first, so I'm giving myself plenty of time to screw up work on it. It looks great so far, I wish I had a picture to share!

I hate wearing tanks, so I think I'll make the next KAL sweater for my grandmother in Hawaii. Has anyone else had to call her gma and ask for her bust measurements? :oops:

carollovesyarn
01-09-2006, 09:36 PM
For those of you knitting Picovoli, you can also join this KAL:
http://www.sexyknittersclub.com/ :thumbsup:

See the side bar links for info (I love it when KALs put the info in handy spots so you don't have to go searching!) - especially "SKC 1st KAL INFO".

If I wasn't so undecided on what to knit next, I would start a sweater. But I still have to finish a purse for a gift and then I'm going away and will only have brainless knitting time. I'm thinking of making a Panta (http://panta-along.blogspot.com/) and who knows what else on the road.

For those who like to join KALS, keep your eye on here: http://knitting.xaviermusketeer.com/2006knitalongs.html

Carol

foldedbird
01-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Melanie & I both are doing Picovoli (http://www.magknits.com/Aug05/picovoli.htm). We have hit a wall for two reasons. 1, our Addi's have not arrived from Hong Kong yet, and two, the pattern is not sized for our size. We're desperately trying to figure out how to resize the pattern. We both are 36" at the bust, so we need a finished product measuring a 34" bust, I think.

So, I'm calling in for back up from you guys & our Ya-Ya Brooke. I am in the process of doing a circular gauge swatch. It's almost done. I will reswatch until I achieve 5.5sts/1". I'm a good, moral, responsible knitter.
Moral might be a lie, as I've been swearing at the pattern a wee bit.

My math tells me that I need to add 2 increase rounds to the finised bust size: in the pattern. When I'm done, I should end up with 192 sts for the front and back pieces, and that should give me 34.9" for the bust. Or, I could go with 184 sts for 33.4". I'll make that decision when I'm done with my gauge and I can get a better idea of how much stretch I'll get.

My problem is, am I going to need to change where I place the markers for the raglan seams, so that when I divide for armholes and shape the underarms, they are in the right place? If so, where I do I replace them?

I appreciate any help you might be able to give me.
THANKS!!!

Mer
01-09-2006, 11:48 PM
I've got about 6" of my Hourglass Sweater done, and I'm bored of all the stockinette already! But I hope to finish up to the armholes this week.

kitkat
01-10-2006, 12:24 AM
Can I join you all? I have a sweater I started last summer, in Noro - I am about halfway through but I need inspiration to finish up!!!!

I want to do the shapely t this summer for shure, along with that one by grumperina....so many idears in the head!

vcuchica931
01-10-2006, 12:30 AM
Sure you can join us! EVERYONE is welcome!

mintdee
01-10-2006, 12:36 AM
I am looking for some opinions. I am working on (okay I have to cast on still but it is only Monday! :D ) this sweater (http://glampyreknits.tripod.com/glampyrephotos/id34.html) It is a little plain for me so i was thinking of adding a cable around the shoulders kind of like the border in this hat. (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/PATTcoronet.html) What do you think? Am I trying to take on too much (basically is it really difficult to do). Is it possible to add a cable like that?
Then again I am also thinking that k1 p1 ribbing would look good up top as well since I am using a verigated yarn. :thinking:
Thanks for your help all. BTW. My goal is to cast on and get a few inches started on my sweater this week. School started for me this week so my knitting will slow down :doh: :|
Loving everyones choice for sweaters and yarn :thumbsup:

joe_doufu
01-10-2006, 03:13 AM
Once again I'm using this pattern (http://www.woolworks.org/patterns/raglan.html). I've finished the collar according to the first paragraph under "Knitting", working back and forth.

And now... it's time to cast on all the center-front stitches, completing the circle. How do I cast them on? And, do I cast onto the needle I've just finished a knit row on, or onto the free needle? Up until now I've used Amy's favorite "double cast on" in all of my knitting to date. But I think that's not applicable here because of the way it uses a long tail.

FYI, I've just finished a right-side/knit row.

foldedbird
01-10-2006, 03:21 AM
Joe, I don't have answers to your questions. BUT... you're breaking my :heart: with all of those ratty Yarn Barf Loopies (http://deniseknits.typepad.com/my_weblog/2005/11/index.html)! Scroll down to the tragic stories of other knitters experiencing the same sick, life-threatening illness.

joe_doufu
01-10-2006, 03:27 AM
Joe, I don't have answers to your questions. BUT... you're breaking my :heart: with all of those ratty Yarn Barf Loopies (http://deniseknits.typepad.com/my_weblog/2005/11/index.html)! Scroll down to the tragic stories of other knitters experiencing the same sick, life-threatening illness.

Haha, well I'm a learner, and I'm in Korea. I don't speak much Korean and wouldn't know how to ask for those things even if they have them. Real men knit their sweaters without need of such jangly spangly things. I suppose I could use keychains or paperclips or something, but I'm happy with what I've got.

foldedbird
01-10-2006, 03:43 AM
Hmm. Why are you in Korea? I mean, besides the noodles.

Duuuude, real men use stitch markers. Such jangly dangly things are cool. Check out my signature, foo'!

joe_doufu
01-10-2006, 03:51 AM
Hmm. Why are you in Korea? I mean, besides the noodles.

Duuuude, real men use stitch markers. Such jangly dangly things are cool. Check out my signature, foo'!

Oh! I didn't realize you make them. Nice work. Still if I was to use one, I'd just use the steel ring and set aside the dangly spangles.

foldedbird
01-10-2006, 03:57 AM
This is soley FYI. I'm not making a sales pitch. The point of the "danglies" is weight. If you just use the steel ring (I like to call 'em jump rings), they have a very high tendency of falling, flying, and flailing off of the needle at a most inopportune time. read: when you're not looking and have knit around and a half.

carollovesyarn
01-10-2006, 04:06 AM
Once again I'm using this pattern (http://www.woolworks.org/patterns/raglan.html). I've finished the collar according to the first paragraph under "Knitting", working back and forth.

And now... it's time to cast on all the center-front stitches, completing the circle. How do I cast them on? And, do I cast onto the needle I've just finished a knit row on, or onto the free needle? Up until now I've used Amy's favorite "double cast on" in all of my knitting to date. But I think that's not applicable here because of the way it uses a long tail.

FYI, I've just finished a right-side/knit row.
I see two ways of casting on. Amy has videos for both.

One: Holding the needle you just finished knitting onto, do a Single Cast-on. I don't really prefer this way because I don't like knitting the next row from it.

Two: Cable cast on. Since this is usually done on the left needle, you'll need to make the needle you just finished knitting on the left needle. So in reality you'll turn it around and be casting on from the last live stitch until you get the required number of new stitches and then turn your work around and join the circle to the left side. You might not like this because of how it will look from the front, but you'll have to try it to see which way works for you.

HTH
Carol

joe_doufu
01-10-2006, 04:07 AM
I'm in Korea because I teach English here. Good way to pay off the student loans and credit cards as quickly as possible. I teach in an "after school" institute, which means I work from 3:30pm to after 9pm. I started knitting because I have too much free time.

I'll probably be working in Beijing, China in the next semester, starting late February.

joe_doufu
01-10-2006, 05:27 AM
I see two ways of casting on. Amy has videos for both.

One: Holding the needle you just finished knitting onto, do a Single Cast-on. I don't really prefer this way because I don't like knitting the next row from it.

Thanks Carol, I went with the Single Cast-on. It was *very* tight knitting that first row, but it was only 14 stitches and I managed. Now I'm knitting in the round.

Next question:
I'm knitting in the round on an 80cm circular needle. My knitting is *just* big enough to do this, and I'm wondering if stretching it in an 80cm circle is going to change my gauge significantly and cause a problem. Am I worrying too much? Should I use magic loop even though I don't like it?

KellyK
01-10-2006, 08:16 AM
I know Im late with this, but I had to do the same thing with the Knitting Pure & Simple neck-down raglan Immaking.... I used a backward-loop CO. Did the same for the armpits. On the right needle.

The knitting will loosen up quickly on your circ because you are going to start the raglan increases.

nicolethegeek
01-10-2006, 08:56 AM
Well since I've already got one sleeve done of my sweater as a gauge swatch, my goal for this week will be to get at least one of the centre "circles" knitted. I still need to figure out where all I need to to adjustments to the pattern since I need to make it at least 4-6" bigger around the bust.

knitterma
01-10-2006, 10:39 AM
:verysad: My yarn still isn't here. :verysad:

foldedbird
01-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Aww, sorry knitterma! Sit next to me, I have yarn but no needles!

Mer
01-10-2006, 11:06 AM
I am looking for some opinions. I am working on (okay I have to cast on still but it is only Monday! :D ) this sweater (http://glampyreknits.tripod.com/glampyrephotos/id34.html) It is a little plain for me so i was thinking of adding a cable around the shoulders kind of like the border in this hat. (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/PATTcoronet.html) What do you think? Am I trying to take on too much (basically is it really difficult to do). Is it possible to add a cable like that?
Then again I am also thinking that k1 p1 ribbing would look good up top as well since I am using a verigated yarn. :thinking:
Thanks for your help all. BTW. My goal is to cast on and get a few inches started on my sweater this week. School started for me this week so my knitting will slow down :doh: :|
Loving everyones choice for sweaters and yarn :thumbsup:

I think that would look nice! The cable is knitted separately, so I guess once you got to the neck in the pattern, you'd cast off, knit the cable long enough to go around the whole neck, and then sew it on.

feministmama
01-10-2006, 12:12 PM
I wish I were working on a sweater. :( Like I need ANOTHER project :doh: So exciting to see everyone else's ideas and pics and stuff.

joe_doufu
01-10-2006, 12:19 PM
So far, so good! I'm about eight or nine rows down from the neckline and I can start to see the shoulders taking shape. It's still a little hard for me to foresee how it will turn into a front, back, and arms, but I've decided to trust the pattern.

Jan in CA
01-10-2006, 12:52 PM
I haven't been able to start mine yet because I have to finish my double hat. We are leaving a week from today and it has to be done by then. IF I ever get it done I will start on the sweater and then work on it when I come back from vacation. I just hope I won't be toooooo far behind. :rollseyes:

jhelanee
01-10-2006, 12:59 PM
:verysad: My yarn still isn't here. :verysad:

Mine isn't either. :verysad: But since I just ordered it yesterday I suppose I can't complain too much. BTW can anyone tell me about how long Elann's takes to ship an order? (not for it to actually arrive, just for them to mail it) :thinking:

silveridger
01-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Oooh, mine just came! Yay, love to see that brown truck pulling into our driveway! Heading off to get the swift & winder, gauge swatch, here I come!

knitting4babybear
01-10-2006, 01:33 PM
New Knitpicks order (Andean Silk, Mustard) to arrive tomorrow. :cheering:

I still haven't gotten gauge tho, and EZ is haunting my thoughts. :oops: I don't even like porridge, and I'd hate certainly hate to sup it with a sorrowful spoon... :D

kitkat
01-10-2006, 01:36 PM
Elanns is pretty quick as I recall...

earthchick
01-10-2006, 03:36 PM
Denise, you are a hoot. Your posts always make me laugh (I'm referring now to your posts about "yarn barf loopies"). :roflhard:

Joe, your sweater looks great! I'll be interested to know how you like the pattern, as I'm getting ready to start dh's raglan (as soon as KP order arrives - maybe Wednesday!) and I may go with the pattern you're using instead of the Little Turtle Knits one (which starts a the bottom and must be seamed).

So I'm making surprisingly quick progress on my sweater. As in, 10 1/2 inches done by the time I went to bed last night, and I didn't even get to work on that much yesterday (maybe an hour and a half spread throughout the day). Then, this morning, frustration struck. I'd knit maybe 3 rows, when I goofed. I purled a knit row and then knit a purl row before I caught my mistake and unfortunately I only realized I had messed up one row. So I unknit that row and purled in, only to then see my mistake two rows back. So I frogged, which took a frustratingly long time - I find it very hard to do with mohair. I was so afraid of dropping a stitch. I had skipped my workout this morning to work on the sweater and in the end, after probably an hour spent, I had added less than an inch. :rollseyes:

Am hoping not to repeat the error. It's very easy to tell front from back, so I'm not sure how I made the mistake twice in a row, except that I have a lot on my mind right now and I was maybe a little preoccupied. Which is strange b/c usually during the rest of the day I'm preoccupied with knitting....

earthchick
01-10-2006, 03:37 PM
p.s. to carollovesyarn - thanks for sharing the sexy knitters club link. Looks fun! Kind of made me wish I was doing Picovoli. Maybe one of these days.

carollovesyarn
01-10-2006, 04:41 PM
p.s. to carollovesyarn - thanks for sharing the sexy knitters club link. Looks fun! Kind of made me wish I was doing Picovoli. Maybe one of these days.
mmm, I know, I've always wanted to do Picovoli. Virtual knitting will have to suffice for now.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-10-2006, 08:47 PM
YAY! Everyone is doing SO awesome!

I'm 5 inches into my sleeve. It's boring. I'm going to add some stripes soon so I shrivel up and die before it's over. :mad:

I have FOUR classes watching a movie this week (yay planning!) and i've taken just about all of "Amadeus" as I can take, so I might be sneaky-knitting in class tomorrow. :shifty:

KellyK
01-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Rock me Amadeus!! :roflhard:

Lady M
01-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Some of my patterns came in yesterday and My Denise Interchangables came in this afternoon, I love them already, they knit wonderfully.

All thats holding me up is Knit Picks. I called them and they said that my yarn just shipped the 9th. I guess it was because I orderd 23 skines of asparagus. Sooooooooo here I go again waiting.......... I want to cast on so bad, but I will wait.........At least I have gotten all of my UFO's completed .So I sit here and Wait...........

Everyones projects are comming along beautifully !!! :thumbsup:

Anne

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Anne, I always do 2 day shipping with Knitpicks. i just can't wait that long!!

Lady M
01-10-2006, 09:54 PM
This was my first order using Knit Picks. but I have learned my lesson!!!

From now on I will do the 2 day shipping and not have to wait for them to casually getting around to shipping it . I really hope that it is worth the wait. I am tempted , if it dont come in by tomorrow, to hop into the car and go to my LYS , which is 80 miles away and buy some there.

Whom ever said that Patience is a virtue apparently never was taught
to Knit !!!

Knit On :XX: Ladies and Gents...........I will be with you SOON !!!

Anne :crying:

knitqueen
01-10-2006, 11:01 PM
I'm waiting on Knit Picks too. It shipped on January 5th, and here we are at January 10th but I AM in Canada so I'm trying to cut them some slack! ;)

knitterma
01-11-2006, 11:30 AM
I'm still waiting on my yarn from elann. I ordered the 31 of dec and it dhipped the 4 of jan. I think elann is on the west coast though, and I'm in upstate ny and I didn't pick the speedy shipping choice :( (neva again! Don't care how much money I need to save!)

Where's the stalking the postman smiley? :blush:

DotMom61
01-11-2006, 12:55 PM
I want to knit a sweater with you guys ... :verysad: ... {walking off to knit more points on the never-ending, stupid, shawl that never goes away.}

silveridger
01-11-2006, 02:10 PM
I have been known to skip knitting a gauge swatch... :oops: , but for this KAL I was good, and good thing, too! It was close, close enough that I probably wouldn't have realized until the thing was knitted up to the underarms that it would have been too small. So, after ripping out the first swatch and going up a needle size, I am dead on! Cast on this morning and have the first couple of inches done. Decadence is very soft and comfortable to knit with: don't know how "sturdy" it's going to be, but it sure feels great to the touch :thumbsup: . I'm going to reward myself with at least 30 minutes of knitting time each time I do my PT, a good inducement if there ever was one.

jhelanee
01-11-2006, 02:30 PM
:happydance: :happydance: I got my yarn! :happydance: :happydance:

Now to swatch :( ... after work :verysad:

BTW Elann's is West Coast - right at the NW WA & SW B.C. border to be exact. I was impatient and did the faster shipping - they mailed it the day after I placed my order and I got it 1 day later (it had to go less than 150 miles to get to me in Seattle, though). Next time I may try the "slow" shipping and see if it makes much of a difference since I am so close. Sorry you haven't gotten yours yet, knitterma, hopefully it will come today!

melaniedc
01-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Denise and I are STILL waiting on our Addi Turbos so we can cast on Picovoli. I've been playing with my extra skein of Shine from KP, and I'm ready to get busy on that top!!

To occupy myself, I'm using the Magic Loop method to make cell phone cozies for me and the hubby! We got these wireless headset things that are just determined to get lost unless I make us cutie little pouches. I'm using some of my extra Shine (shhh) and I showed hubby some cool masculine (ish) yarns to choose from. He went with black Microspun. Because he didn't want to use my good yarn (some Jo Sharp Aran Tweed was the second option). Isn't he a good knitting hubby?!?!
:rofling:

silveridger
01-12-2006, 12:39 PM
In fairness to Knit Picks, I suspect they ship all their orders as soon as they can. The web site says *most* orders are shipped within 24 hours.

The standard "free" shipping is parcel post, a less-expensive method that is known to be slower than first class, priority, etc. I am as guilty as the next person at ordering something and then impatiently waiting for it to arrive, but when they say 5-14 days, we really shouldn't be expecting it to come any sooner. I've seen (via tracking) parcel post packages languish in a single post office for several days between moves.

I use the 3 day shipping, at $8 for UPS 3 day, it's pretty much in-line with everybody else's 3-day price.

As for my knitting, I've got a good 5 inches on the body of my Abigail, plus the ribbing & rolled edge on the bottom. The chocolate is such a pretty color I want to lick it!

knitqueen
01-12-2006, 01:08 PM
In fairness to Knit Picks, I suspect they ship all their orders as soon as they can. The web site says *most* orders are shipped within 24 hours.

Yep, for sure. Mine shipped out within 48 hours and that was even over the New Year's holiday.

Jillle
01-12-2006, 03:50 PM
I'm finished with the front of my sweater (or as I like to call it "SQUARE NUMBER TWO!!). ;) I have the sleeves and hood left. I have no idea how the hood gets attached, but I guess I'll cross that bridge.

KellyK
01-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Looks GREAT! LOVE that colorway...

earthchick
01-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Gorgeous!! :thumbsup:

nicolethegeek
01-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Here are two pics of the progress so far on my sweater. The sleeve I did back in late November to double check my tension since I was changing yarns. The front I knitted over the last 2 days. It worked up really quick!

volmel
01-12-2006, 05:55 PM
Wow Nicole and Jillie. Both of those look just great. I can't believe what fabulous knitters are here.

mel

CateKnits
01-12-2006, 06:05 PM
I made my goal for this week! Yaaaay! I got the first sleeve finished! I'd post pictures, but they're already in my blog AND the Tubey thread. :rollseyes:

earthchick
01-12-2006, 08:02 PM
:frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog:

ARGH!!!!!!

I can't believe what I've done. I was getting ready to bind off the back, only to suddenly remember that I was supposed to BO 3 sts on 2 rows 8 inches ago! I cannot believe my carelessness. :rollseyes: The back is the easiest piece and so I just kept going and going without thinking. I am sooooo not looking forward to unraveling 8 inches of mohair.... Waaaaaah!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-12-2006, 09:00 PM
:wall:

POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP

do you have undo it? What happens if you don't???????

Jazzmatazz
01-12-2006, 09:49 PM
That's a cool sweater, nicolethegeek!

edited to add: I'm nearly finished with the front of BOB. It looks huge to me, but I've never made a raglan pullover or anything with sleeves for that matter. At least the raglan shaping is raglan shaped. :shifty:

knitting4babybear
01-12-2006, 09:51 PM
EC that's a bummer. I hope you don't have to rip it.

All of the WIPs look awesome. :happydance:

I got my Knitpicks order today and have cast on. I'm being reckless tho. My gauge swatch on the Denise's with the Chocolate Andean Silk was a half a stitch off - I was at 4.25 and the pattern calls for 4.75. But I'm not doing it with the Denises now for SURE since I've done the swatch, cuz it splits the yarn, and I don't have the needles I need right now to do another swatch. I'm waiting for addi's size 7 & 9, both in 32 and 16 inches. Even if they came tomorrow, I was only able to do a decent gauge swatch on a 12 inch circ, which isn't what I have on order.

The finished measurements that correspond to their given sizes are already not any sort of match to mine. My arms are far shorter than the sleeves will apparently be, but if I knit a small there's no way the chest or the upper arms will fit. Basically, I'm very discombobulated, I keep ordering things, and my sweater may end up 4 sizes too big. :roflhard:

But I'm pressing onward. I decided to just try starting the sweater on the size 9 needle I have. Worst case, I'll rip it out.

:cheering: for everyone making progress. :)

earthchick
01-13-2006, 12:52 AM
Hmmm... I'm not sure what would happen if I don't rip it. Basically, what I did was neglect to do the armhole shaping. It is minimal - 3 BO edges on two rows make the shaping. Ripping it means undoing 1/3 of the work I've already done. :crying: I just got back from 2 2-hour meetings and don't have the heart to tear up my beautiful knitting tonight.

So I think I'm going to cast on for the little anthropologie capelet I've been planning on making (yarn came yesterday! - a discontinued Rowan yarn that I ordered from England 2 weeks ago). Then in the morning I'll face my sad sweater.

If anyone thinks I can somehow seam the sleeves in without going back to fix the shaping, please let me know. I'd love a quick fix!

Mer
01-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Nicole, I love that sweater! Looks very cool.

I'm not sure I'll be making my goal of finishing the body this weekend--got kinda sidetracked. But I have Monday off, so perhaps that will be some solid knitting time! :thumbsup:

Jazzmatazz
01-13-2006, 06:39 PM
I'm a beginning sweater knitter, so bear with me. Am I the only one who feels a slight sense of doom as they knit a sweater, wondering if the front and back are actually going to match up with the sleeves and will the darn thing come anywhere close to fitting? I am on gauge, can't seem to find anything I've skipped or done twice, but I still have a creepy feeling. I hope this goes away as I do more projects. I didn't feel this way with the clogs, handbags, or hats and scarves I've made. :wall:

foldedbird
01-13-2006, 06:49 PM
Are there any techniques in the pattern that you're unsure of? Like, increases, decreases, certain finishing techniques like seaming, picking up stitches, etc? I always like to practice those things on small swatches before I begin, the practice sets my mind at ease before I begin!

Jazzmatazz
01-13-2006, 07:20 PM
That's the thing, the only thing in this pattern I've never done is raglan shaping and then seaming in the sleeves. The shaping looks fine so far and it was really cool to watch the front as it "happened". I think it's just jitters, and actually I'm enjoying the project. I just have that funny feeling in the back of my mind! I realize this isn't brain surgery, but it is taking a pretty large chunk of time, so maybe I'm just a bit insecure at this point.

foldedbird
01-13-2006, 07:27 PM
Ooh, I didn't mean to dismiss your fears out of hand. I'm quite petrified to start mine!

Lady M
01-13-2006, 07:33 PM
I called Knit Picks again today and they tracked my order to Greensboro, North Carolina, when we tracked it down this is the message that I recieved.

Your item was accepted at 1:50 am on January 12, 2006 in GREENSBORO, NC 27495. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

Greensboro is 600 miles away from me , so I am still waiting.

I am beginning to think, with such a late start and trying to make a 5x sweater, I won't be able to make it by March. Maby I should jsut start the
next Sweater KAL ...........I just knit to slow.

Anne :crying:

Jan in CA
01-13-2006, 07:55 PM
I'm going to be late, too, Anne. I'm sure we're not the only ones. I had to wait for my needles and now we are going on vacation next week. I'll just play it by ear I guess.

Lady M
01-13-2006, 07:58 PM
At least I won't be alone pulling up the rear, We will just pace together. I think it is a lot easier if someone is working with you. Its a good motivator, and I guess that late is better than never.

knitqueen
01-13-2006, 08:57 PM
Don't worry if you haven't started yet, I think there's quite a few of us in that boat! Some waiting for yarn, some waiting for needles.....we'll all get there eventually! Hang in there! :thumbsup:

carollovesyarn
01-13-2006, 09:15 PM
I can't start yet either!

I HAVE to finish my grandma's purse - we're leaving to go see her tomorrow (!!!). At least I can knit on the 8 hour trip. I'm taking some brainless knitting to do down at her house, and the trip is open ended - at least a week, maybe two. So I can't even start (could, but don't want to) for another week or two. I have yarns and needles, but not sure which sweater yet.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-13-2006, 10:03 PM
Anne!!! I can't believe knitpicks is taking that long!!!! :?? I would write them a letter. not a "i hate you and i'm enver buying your yarn again" letter, just that you were dissapointed.

earthchick
01-13-2006, 11:03 PM
Anne, what a pain! I'm sorry you're having to wait so long. How frustrating!

Well, I did the deed. Frogged approximately 25 rows of my sweater. :crying: It took FOREVER!!! Honestly, I couldn't believe how long it took to unravel it, make sure I hadn't dropped a stitch, make sure my stitches weren't twisted, and then finally get started again. After unraveling 8 inches I only got an inch and a half re-knit (this time with those &*^$% BOs done - and honestly, it hardly appears to make a difference at all!). My head hurts and I'm tired so I'm giving up for tonight. Won't be able to knit much tomorrow b/c Saturday is a very busy work day for me. :(

But I did have some happy knitting today, too. Got started on my little anthropologie capelet. It is so easy and going so fast. I :heart: :heart: :heart: Rowan polar (made a scarf in it a few months ago) and am sooooo sad that it has been discontinued. The yarn for dh's sweater arrived from KP today, now I'm waiting for my Addis to come from England (Jeff Wonderland) so I can get started on that.

Well, I'm finishing my tea and headed to bed to see if I can sleep off this frog-induced headache....

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-13-2006, 11:11 PM
well, I think it's good that you ripped, I think. You'll be much happier... If you hadn't, evey time you pulled it out you'd just think about the mistake. Now, wearing your sweater will make you go :cheering: instead of :doh:

Lady M
01-14-2006, 12:29 AM
Stacey ~ I agree with Hilde and think that you will be a lot happier now that you frogged and corrected your mistake. I would rather frog a project and redo then have to look at it all the time and know that I goofed. I would have never wore it after that ....... It will bring you lots of joy now and you will love it even more since you had to really work at it harder. Then you can sit back and look at and cuddle it , knowing that you did your best.............. Now thats something to look forward too ....... Sweater Love :XX:

Hilde ~ The Lady on the phone at Knit Picks was very nice to me and tried to help me all that she could and she also told me if it was not here in 15 days from the day it was shipped, that they would replace it all for free.
She also told me that since I ordered 23 skiens that they had to actually dye it for me because they didnt have enough in their stock to cover the order, soooooooo as she called it , they had to create a Special Dye order and that was what took them so long to ship it out in the first place.
Then it shipped out "Free" media mail........... Can you say MISTAKE !!!

I will NEVER do the free shipping again , unless its for something that I wont need for a month........... I would rather pay the 10.95 or whatever than have to wait for 3 weeks for yarn...... It's literaly drove me NUTS.

All I think about is knitting my sweater :XX: .......... Im so addicted that I started a harry potter style scarf just to knit with my new Denises.

Anne

jhelanee
01-14-2006, 02:44 AM
Well I think I am finally going to be able to start my sweater this weekend! :happydance: I got my yarn mid-week and worked a couple of swatches, only to discover I didn't like the way it looked when I got gauge. So I have decided to just use the gauge for the fabric I like and rewrite the pattern. :wall: I'm about halfway through my final, "good" swatch so I can accurately measure both my stitch and row gauges - if all goes well I can finish that and do lots of math tomorrow and be ready to cast on on Sunday. We'll see how it goes - even with pre-planning I have a feeling this will be an adjust-as-I-knit project. :thinking: Fun!

knitting4babybear
01-14-2006, 11:11 AM
I'm a beginning sweater knitter, so bear with me. Am I the only one who feels a slight sense of doom as they knit a sweater, wondering if the front and back are actually going to match up with the sleeves and will the darn thing come anywhere close to fitting? I am on gauge, can't seem to find anything I've skipped or done twice, but I still have a creepy feeling. I hope this goes away as I do more projects. I didn't feel this way with the clogs, handbags, or hats and scarves I've made. :wall:

Nope. I'm also knitting prayerfully.... :D

Good Luck.

knitterma
01-14-2006, 12:01 PM
No time to read everyone's progress right now - DS' first birthday party is tomorrow :happydance: but I just wanted to check-in and say MUH YARN'S HERE! I did my gauge swatch and everything looks good! :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: I'm going to take some time to myself (before grocery store run for the par-tay) and cast-on! Yipeeee!

KellyK
01-14-2006, 01:42 PM
GLEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! :cheering:

KnittingWounded
01-14-2006, 02:55 PM
:cheering: Everyone's progess looks so good! :cheering:

I, on the other hand, am only through the first 2/3 of my first sleeve on the chocolate mariah... It looks awesome, but I am dissapointed with my progress. I am used to quicky projects, and this just isn't quicky :(

So, I stay up too late squinting at the chart until my contacts try to jump ship and I boo-boo :doh: and end up having to tear back and fix said boo-boo, more tired and now ticked off... I am learning so much with this project, and can say with some confidence that I have perfected my technique of selective ripping (only ripping the stitches directly affected by the error) :thumbsup:

Just wait until I get my hands on a camera! Anyone else having as much fun as me?

earthchick
01-14-2006, 04:34 PM
Ooooh, Becka, sounds frustrating. But good on you for perfecting your selective ripping. That's not something I know how to do yet....

Woke up at 4:00 this morning and couldn't go back to sleep, so I went ahead and got up at 4:30. That was not real fun, but at least I got some good knitting done before I had to get working. (though I'm still not through with the back that I had already finished before I had to frog. :rollseyes: But I'm now switching back and forth b/t my sweater and my shrug, so it's not like I spent the whole time on the sweater and just didn't get very far.)

Hey, to those of you who order your Addis from Jeff Wonderland - do you get some kind of word from him that they are on the way? I ordered some last Saturday and got PayPal confirmation but haven't heard anything from him and don't know when to expect them. :??

Lady M
01-14-2006, 05:51 PM
:cheering: My Yarn from Knit Picks came this morning !!! :cheering:

When I picked up my mail and it was there I almost started jumping up and down. The color is much more green than what is listed on the site, but it is fine. It's a real light grass green, not the blue green I wanted but I am just way to happy to complain!!! Now to get the correct gauge and Knit :XX: Knit :XX: Knit :XX:

Anne

silveridger
01-14-2006, 05:52 PM
Hey, to those of you who order your Addis from Jeff Wonderland - do you get some kind of word from him that they are on the way? I ordered some last Saturday and got PayPal confirmation but haven't heard anything from him and don't know when to expect them.

Same thing happened to me... I guess we're spoiled from the great customer service we get here in the states. They DO come from Hong Kong, and mine showed up exactly 2 hours after I sent him an e-mail asking where they were :doh: . He has a great reputation though, give it some time before you panic.

Jan in CA
01-14-2006, 06:12 PM
I probably won't start till I get back from vacation, BUT I am doing the gauge swatch now!

Mer
01-14-2006, 09:23 PM
Some progress on the hourglass...

earthchick
01-14-2006, 09:43 PM
Very pretty, Mer! What yarn are you using? I really, really love the Hourglass sweater and hope to do it some day (was just drooling over some FO pics of it on Craftster earlier today).

I've done no more knitting since early this morning. :( I've finished my work now (finally!), but I'm so tired that I doubt I'll stay up to knit. Hmmm... Wonder if I'm going to reach my goal for tomorrow, of finishing the back. :thinking:

Anne, YAY! on getting your yarn!

Mer
01-14-2006, 11:23 PM
Oh, I forgot--I'm using Debbie Bliss Cathay. Yum!

knitqueen
01-14-2006, 11:48 PM
stilllllllllllllllll waiting on Knit Picks :thinking:

earthchick
01-15-2006, 08:40 AM
Man, KQ, that sux.

Mer, I checked out your blog last night - lots of gorgeous stuff! :inlove: I can't believe you've only been knitting for a year!!!

knitterma
01-15-2006, 11:47 AM
Oooh, Mer - I am in love with the hourglass pattern - I can't wait to see how yours turns out. That color is a nice choice.

So far, I've completed my gauge swatch (looks good!) and I'm about 6 in. into the waistband. :happydance: It's an interesting pattern. The colors I ordered from elann don't look IRL like I thought they would, but I think I'm happy with how the colors are knitting-up.

http://img2.glowfoto.com/images/2006/01/15-0719466974T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=15-071946L&y=2006&m=01&t=jpg&rand=6974&srv=img2)

http://img2.glowfoto.com/images/2006/01/15-0719497414T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=15-071949L&y=2006&m=01&t=jpg&rand=7414&srv=img2)

Mer
01-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Thanks guys! Bridgette, that looks great! I love that pattern--I'm looking forward to seeing yours.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-15-2006, 04:40 PM
YOTS, #1: Week 3

Okay! For week 2 (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97647#97647), you cast on for the first "part" of your sweater, and divided it up into manageable chunks. I think for most of us, we divided in half? So, for week 2, you might have done half of the ribbing, or half of a sleeve, or half of whatever. For week three, finish the rest of the first "part" of the sweater. Easy!

I *didn't* finish the first half of my sleeve, but I think that I will finish today during the bears game :happydance: I'm about 3 inches short of the place where I join the round for the sleeve, go me! I got a lot of knitting done on Friday and Saturday, AND I don't have school tomorrow, so I'll be doing lots then.

Alas, I have a draft of a 20-pager due next Sunday, which isn't a big deal, I'm *also* doing my first residency this week :help: from Wednesday through Sunday sooooooo even though I'm only a little behind right now, I might be a LOT behind next week :-) That's okay, because week 4 is going to be catch up week!!!!!!

happy knitting! :X:

silveridger
01-15-2006, 04:56 PM
Weeellllllll, my project is knit in the round up to the armpits. I've gotten a good 12 inches done on that part, only 3 more inches to go and I'll be ready to divide for the front and back. Works for me! My goal for the coming week is to finish the body up to the neck, and *maybe* get a start on the sleeves.

I have never done it, but I think I'd like to TRY knitting both sleeves at the same time. I'll be asking for some hand-holding when I get to that part. Seems scary to me, I worry about getting tangled up when turning
:thinking: , but I'm willing to try in order to get my sleeves symmetrical.

We have snow forecast later this week, should be a good knitting week!

CateKnits
01-15-2006, 05:35 PM
My goal is to finish the first tube...I know I COULD do it pretty easily, but I don't know if I WILL since I'm stressing about some stuff this week. It'll be done by week three, for sure, and then I'll just have the body. :roflhard: I said "just" the body, like that's a small bit.

earthchick
01-15-2006, 05:59 PM
My goal for week 2 was to finish the back of the sweater. I have another inch or two - thanks to the distraction of Orlando Bloom and the resulting 25 rows I had to frog - but I think I can finish tonight, when I have friends over for a (non-Orlando Bloom) movie.

My goal for week 3 is to do the front of the sweater. This week looks pretty busy, so I'm not sure if this is doable or not, especially since I'm now also splitting my knitting time with my shrug and (as of tomorrow) dh's anniversary sweater. We'll see....

knitting4babybear
01-15-2006, 07:06 PM
Hey, to those of you who order your Addis from Jeff Wonderland - do you get some kind of word from him that they are on the way? I ordered some last Saturday and got PayPal confirmation but haven't heard anything from him and don't know when to expect them.

Same thing happened to me... I guess we're spoiled from the great customer service we get here in the states. They DO come from Hong Kong, and mine showed up exactly 2 hours after I sent him an e-mail asking where they were :doh: . He has a great reputation though, give it some time before you panic.

I usually get mine inside of two weeks. He doesn't send a notice, they just come. :)

knitting4babybear
01-15-2006, 07:10 PM

Mer I LOOOOOVE your Hourglass... :heart: I'm doing one too, in a mustard color. :) I see you hemmed yours already. I want to, but I'm scared to do mine. I don't want to botch it and I don't think I can do it while it's on needles.

===========

Update: I'm on my way. My gauge so far seems on unless I'm seriously miscalculating, but I don't think so. My goal for week 2 will be to knit up to the increase rounds. :happydance:

Mer
01-15-2006, 08:54 PM

Mer I LOOOOOVE your Hourglass... :heart: I'm doing one too, in a mustard color. :) I see you hemmed yours already. I want to, but I'm scared to do mine. I don't want to botch it and I don't think I can do it while it's on needles.

Oh! It's too late for you to do this now, then, but I did this: http://marniemaclean.com/words/2005/01/no-sew-hem.html So much easier than hemming later, I think! You can try it for the sleeves, if you so desire. :thumbsup:

KnittingWounded
01-15-2006, 09:56 PM
Earthchick, I am so sorry for all the frogging you had to do. If it's any consolation, I boo-boo'd too. My own fault, I didn't read the whole pattern again :doh: I had to frog 18 inches of my beautiful cables :(

So, I'm doing it right finally, I guess that's progress...

vcuchica931
01-15-2006, 10:27 PM
Wow, I'm sorry to hear about everyone's misfortunes with their sweaters! :crying:

I havent knit a stitch on my sweater for the past week but i had already done the back of it so i figured it wouldnt matter. My goal for this week is to do the right half of the front of the sweater. Hopefully I'll get it done but classes start this week so we'll see.

Good luck everyone!

Jazzmatazz
01-16-2006, 08:56 AM
I've been knitting like a maniac (only stopped yesterday for the premier of "24") and I have finished the body of my sweater! Now to make the sleeves and do my first ever seaming. I'm a little apprehensive about the blanket stitch. I've only done it once for about 4 inches on a hat that didn't really matter. I figure if I can graft the toe of a sock, I can do this. Right? :shock:

joe_doufu
01-16-2006, 10:00 AM
I started in week 2. It's a top-down raglan so the first steps were to cast on, begin increasing over the first several rows, then cast on some more stitches to complete the collar and begin in the round. Then I'm to continue knitting until the raglans are several inches long. I'm still in the middle of this... I chose a very high-gauge thin yarn so it's going much slower than I had hoped. Lesson learned. This week I will finish that shoulder/raglan part and begin knitting the bottom of the sweater. Give me another couple weeks just to knit to the bottom. Then next month I'll be working on the sleeves.

earthchick
01-16-2006, 10:19 AM
:thumbsup: to everyone for all the progress made.

I bound off the back this morning. Would've done it last night during the movie, but every time I measured, it came up with different measurements - I couldn't tell if I needed to knit more or to unknit a row or two (I ended up unknitting one and then reknitting it this morning :rollseyes: ). Anyone the back is done and I'll cast on the front later today. I'm getting a little bored with it, so it's nice to have the shrug to work on too. I'm anxious to make some slippers for my boys and to try my first pair of socks - it would be nice to have a little project to do to break up the monotony of all this stockinette - but I really, really need to cast on dh's sweater today if I'm going to get it done by Feb. 10, which I'm starting to think is a tad ambitious....

joe_doufu
01-16-2006, 10:39 AM
Oddly enough, I find that I rather like the monotony of this project. Good for de-stressting. I will, however, incorporate a color stripe or two, so the final sweater isn't too boring.

knitting4babybear
01-16-2006, 11:58 AM

Oh! It's too late for you to do this now, then, but I did this: http://marniemaclean.com/words/2005/01/no-sew-hem.html So much easier than hemming later, I think! You can try it for the sleeves, if you so desire. :thumbsup:

So THAT's how you did it. I'll try that next time. I def want one of these sweaters in pink, so I'll be knitting it again.

knitting4babybear
01-16-2006, 12:08 PM
I made my first mistake, but I'm gonna leave it. On the first decrease rnd, I was supposed to knit a series around the marker: ssk, (slip marker, which isn't in the pattern, but seems obvious..hope I'm not misinterpreting) k1, k2tog, knit to w/in 2 of next marker, repeat.

The first time I did it, I left out the K1's in the repeat. I just ssk'ed and then k2tog'ed. It looks a little messy, esp since I've now done another dec. rnd and as written, the decrease is imperceptible. I'm gonna leave it. I just want to get through ALL the steps in a sweater. You won't be able to see it all that well anyway.

In other news, my gauge appears off now. Pattern gauge is 4.75. I'm knitting 4.25. I know that will make my sweater smaller, but considering I'm knitting it on a needle size TWO SIZES bigger than required AND I initally chose a pattern that seems like it'll be too big (because the smaller option would have been WAY too small) I'm just gonna hope for the best. To boot, it already SEEMS big, so I don't understand HOW my gauge could be less than the pattern. As it stands I would need to knit the sweater on size 11's or some such (15's? Like what's it gonna take?) to get the right gauge, and I'm sorry - that just doesn't sound right to me. I'm going to see if I can get a better handle on it in future projects - this is my first time really needing it, so I'm just gonna go with the flow, and try to see if it just sinks in like everything else seems to.

silveridger
01-16-2006, 12:18 PM
In other news, my gauge appears off now.

Don't you hate it when that happens? I seem to do that a lot. I really try to swatch on the loose side, because I always start out a new piece of knitting a little tight (maybe I'm paying more attention?) and then kind of relax into the rhythm and loosen up.

I have a frogged project from early last fall that swatched perfectly at gauge: after knitting about 8 inches of the back it was a good 2 inches too wide. Trying to get up enough nerve to start it again after my Abigail is finished.

knitting4babybear
01-16-2006, 03:14 PM
In other news, my gauge appears off now.

Don't you hate it when that happens? I seem to do that a lot. I really try to swatch on the loose side, because I always start out a new piece of knitting a little tight (maybe I'm paying more attention?) and then kind of relax into the rhythm and loosen up.

I have a frogged project from early last fall that swatched perfectly at gauge: after knitting about 8 inches of the back it was a good 2 inches too wide. Trying to get up enough nerve to start it again after my Abigail is finished.

See? I'll never understand it. :shock:

:roflhard: Okay I will, I guess, but I'll have to see how this turns out to make sense of it, because right now, I just don't get it....

How can I have stitches SLIDING off the needles, but I'm knitting too tightly on a needle TWO sizes to big???

Oh Pshaw. :roflhard:

Jazzmatazz
01-16-2006, 03:59 PM
I am in the dark about gauge as well. My sweater is exactly right in width, but is longer than it should be. I don't think it will be a problem with the Bob pattern, but it's just weird. I think it has something to do with the yarn being a cotton/acrylic blend. It seems to grow and grow and grow like Pinocchio's nose.

jhelanee
01-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Well I made last week’s goal of figuring out my gauge and rewriting my pattern to match it. Turned out to be more complicated than I originally anticipated, see here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8164) for details. But I finally cast on yesterday and have even finished the two inches of ribbing at the bottom. :happydance:

So my goal for this week is to get 1/3 of the way through the stockinette body section.

:XX: :XX: :XX:

nicolethegeek
01-17-2006, 09:43 AM
Well I shocked myself by completing my goal of getting the front knitted on my sweater last week. Since I didn't alter the finished number of stitches, I decided that this week's goal is to knit my second sleeve. I will check more carefully as to how long this one is, and make any changes necessary. My other sleeve is on a stitch holder with the wool still attached, so it won't take too much to rip it and adjust it if necessary.

earthchick
01-18-2006, 10:32 AM
My Addis arrived from Jeff Wonderland yesterday. :happydance:

I've basically done nothing toward this week's goal on my KAL sweater b/c I've become obsessed with dh's anniversary sweater, which I am sneakily working on while he is out of town. I'm about 2/3 done with the first sleeve and am quite pleased with it. Love the pattern, love the yarn (KP Sierra), love the shade I picked (lettuce - it will perfect for spring) . I'm ready to get done with the sleeves (on dpns) so I can move on to using the circs for the body.

I wish I could just sit around and knit all the time. :rollseyes:

CateKnits
01-18-2006, 10:36 AM
I made my goal! I finished the shrug part of Tubey. In celebration, I'm wearing it like this today...rolled up back and all! :roflhard:

silveridger
01-18-2006, 08:02 PM
Yay, I have knit in the round up the armpit divisions, and finished the back! It is starting to look actually look like a sweater. Now to finish the front, should be no problem (knocking on wood) to get the entire body finished this week.

I was wondering how to go about knitting both sleeves at the same time, but after reading ahead I realize that I am going to picking up stitches around the arm holes and knitting the sleeves from the top down :shock: ! Well, I suppose I can learn just one more new thing :lol: .

knitqueen
01-19-2006, 12:02 AM
I'm FINALLY able to start on Picovoli (link in my sig) because my yarn arrived today! YAY!! :happydance: :cheering:

BUT I'm not liking how the knit into front and back increases are looking on the raglan seams. It doesn't look good to me, especially since for the size that I'm doing, I have to do two increase rounds one after the other, so I'm doing a kfb (knit into front and back) into the same stitch two rounds in a row and it's just not lookin' good.

What other options do I have, especially considering the two rounds in a row thing. Could I do M1L and M1R instead, and do them one stitch before/after the marker on the first round, and two stitches before/after the marker on the second round? Any ideas??

Lady M
01-19-2006, 12:12 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

I am soooooooo Happy that you finally got your yarn !!!

I know all too well what it is like to have to wait and wait and wait (heheh)

I ran into some problems with the original sweater that I wanted to knit too. It was called "The Tennessee" but it had a ton of seed stitch in it and called for 34 skines of yarn in the Knit Picks WOTA and I only bought 23
sooooooo I looked at all of the patterns on the knits website and after spending the day with my calculator, decided to make "Bob" . It was one that I thought would look on my body type and I could adjust the patterns some to get the fit I wanted.

I have only been knitting since about December the 8th, but I decided to take a chance ........so I crunched the numbers and prayed that I will come up with a sweater that will actually fit my ample frame.......

Talk about jumping in over my head .......... I jumped in head first !!!!

:XX: Anne :XX:

foldedbird
01-19-2006, 12:54 AM
knitqueen, try googling the sexy knitters club. lots of picovoli'ers there changed the increases to something else, but i just can't recall what it is.

Lady M
01-19-2006, 01:05 AM
Denise ~ have you got any stitch markers in Shaphire and Diamond colors. Mine keep flying off ny needles , knitting in the round on this sweater.......

Anne

foldedbird
01-19-2006, 01:17 AM
Anne, how abouts you PM or e-mail me (deniseknits@gmail.com) and we'll talk about st markers? I don't want to hi-jack the sweater thread!

TY...

D

knitqueen
01-19-2006, 01:36 AM
Thanks Denise, I have that blog bookmarked, I should take another look.

knitting4babybear
01-19-2006, 01:03 PM
KQ I'm glad your yarn came. :)

I'm definitely going to make my goal this week. I'm almost done with the decreasing portions of the body and I'll start the increases this week for sure. I'm still scared of the sleeves...but I'll live. They're done on a circ, so I don't know what my issue is.....

In other news, while ordering my yarn, I also ordered some of the Addi Natura circs. Those things are AWESOME. :heart: Until now, I've never met a bamboo needle I didn't love to hate. These are AWESOME tho...really smooth, and don't feel much different than the turbos as far as feel while knitting. I'll do my next project on those... :happydance:

MaryS
01-19-2006, 01:42 PM
Hi Jazzmataz (and anyone else knitting "Bob"),

I'm doing Bob from Knitty too! In Berroco Cotton Twist which is 70% cotton, 30% rayon.
My yarn isn't stretching, but even though my STITCH gauge is right on and everything is the correct width, my ROW gauge is off.

No problem until you get to the armholes. With my row gauge (5.5 rows/inch) if I followed the instructions I'd have over 10 inches from armhole bind off to the neckline, and the neckline opening would be larger than 24 inches around! I've rewritten the pattern to decrease faster after about 4 inches up from the armholes, and I'm decreasing at the neck a bit more than the pattern originally called for. I also knit the sleeves in the round up to the armhole shaping, then put front, back and sleeves on one large circ, (a la Elizabeth Zimmerman) and I'm doing the whole "yoke" in the round, so decreasing on each round up near the neckline won't be a problem.

I hope you don't have problems with the yoke on your sweater. I really like the wide ribbing on Bob. I'm looking forward to seeing your sweater when it's done.

If you have any suggestions on dealing with the row gauge problem please answer back.

Happy Knitting! :XX: :XX:

Mary

jhelanee
01-19-2006, 02:20 PM
I too am doing Bob with major adjustments (gauge in my case). In my swatching I found I had too many stitches (5.13 vs 4.5) but the same number of rows (6.25). But since didn't like the look of the fabric with the called for st gauge I decided to just use it. You can see my initial modification commentary here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8164).

Last night I got to about halfway through the body (past my weekly goal already - I forgot how fast plain old stockinette in the round goes) and decided to see how things were shaping up. When I measured my gauge again I now had 5.5 sts and 6.75 rows! :?? So I put in a lifeline, took it off the needle and tried it on. Low and behold it fits! :cheering: Guess I put enough slack in my calculated modifications that the slight gauge differential isn't making it too small! :happydance:

I am still trying to figure out how to do the raglan shaping, however, since I need to decrease more stitches than the original pattern in about the same number of rows. I like your idea of knitting the top portion in the round, MaryS, I may have to try that. :thinking: As far as I can tell that is the best way of getting around the row gauge issue, because I think many of us will need to be doing every row decreases. Let me know how it works for you.
Hmmm... That does mean I have to go buy another circular needle though... Those interchangable sets are starting to look good. Guess I need to go read that thread on them.

Jazzmatazz
01-19-2006, 03:53 PM
MaryS, I don't think I'm experienced enough to do any of the Bob-stuff you're doing. I have a feeling I'm going to have some problems too, but all I can say to myself is "the yarn was cheap and it's a fast knit". So I'm not falling on my needles if it's a bust. The thing fits, but the raglan part looks funny (size-wise). We'll soon see. I almost have a sleeve finished and will see how it is going to seam up.

knitqueen
01-20-2006, 02:05 AM
Gauge question....

I did my swatch on the recommended size needles and ended up having to go up one size. Fine, and I was kind of expecting it because I tend to knit a bit tight. So now that I'm about 2" in (into the actual project, that is), I measured again and my gauge is off 'a bit'. I don't know how much difference that 'bit' will make, but the gauge is supposed to be 22sts/4" and I'm at 24sts/4" :thinking: . Is that a big enough difference for me to need to consider another needle size up?? Or should I just try to concentrate on knitting a tad looser???? Any thoughts?

knitqueen
01-20-2006, 02:50 AM
BUT I'm not liking how the knit into front and back increases are looking on the raglan seams. It doesn't look good to me, especially since for the size that I'm doing, I have to do two increase rounds one after the other, so I'm doing a kfb (knit into front and back) into the same stitch two rounds in a row and it's just not lookin' good.

I'm quoting myself here, just for the sake of any other Picovoli-ers out there...I thought about this so much and tried different ways but I just couldn't find any increases that really worked well considering the two increase rounds one after the other. So I decided to just start over again and do it exactly as the pattern says, even though at first I didn't like it. Now that I'm about 2-3" into the project, the increases actually look really good. I just needed to give it some time until I was a good ways into it to see how it really looked. It is GREAT!!!! :thumbsup:

knitqueen
01-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Does anyone have any gauge insights to share with me, regarding my question two posts back??? Sorry that I'm sounding so desperate!! :lol:

knitting4babybear
01-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Does anyone have any gauge insights to share with me, regarding my question two posts back??? Sorry that I'm sounding so desperate!! :lol:

Be desperate for us both, KQ. I'd love to know too. :)

Mer
01-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Gauge question....

I did my swatch on the recommended size needles and ended up having to go up one size. Fine, and I was kind of expecting it because I tend to knit a bit tight. So now that I'm about 2" in (into the actual project, that is), I measured again and my gauge is off 'a bit'. I don't know how much difference that 'bit' will make, but the gauge is supposed to be 22sts/4" and I'm at 24sts/4" :thinking: . Is that a big enough difference for me to need to consider another needle size up?? Or should I just try to concentrate on knitting a tad looser???? Any thoughts?

If your swatch was done flat and the top is in the round, that could be why your gauge is different. If it were me, I would keep going (this is why I don't measure gauge once I start! Too scared!) but it depends on the fit you want, I guess. If you wanted a loose fitting top, it may be a problem. Cotton tends to stretch out over time, so it may fit fine anyway. And it's from the top down, right? You can try it on as you go and see how it fits! And really you shouldn't try to compensate for gauge by knitting looser, because it's pretty hard to be consistent with something like that. Just my opinion--I'm by no means an expert. ;)

foldedbird
01-20-2006, 05:34 PM
If your gauge is off, your sweater will not fit as intended in the pattern. If you want to the sweater to fit as intended, you need to acheive gauge as directed.

knitqueen
01-20-2006, 05:41 PM
I'm keeping a close eye on things and if it continues to be off (I checked again and it isn't actually off by as much as I said before) I won't hesitate to make needle size adjustments. I WANT this to fit properly....I am in love with the yarn and the color and so far really like the pattern too.

I think a reason that I'm not too overly concerned about a slight gauge difference is that I think I'm sort of in between sizes as far as my bust goes and I think that it will work out. I am glad that this pattern is worked from the top down so you can try it on as you go.

knitqueen
01-21-2006, 01:52 PM
To frog or not to frog, that is the question... :frog: :frog: :frog:
(By the way, I know the answer to that question, I just need to vent)

I'm finished the yoke of Picovoli and am moving onto the bust section. I have been having trouble with my gauge, as I've already posted. I thought it wasn't off by that much, but it really is :verysad: I've worked out what the measurements should be at this point, starting the bust, and according to the gauge given by the pattern and the size that I'm making, it should measure about 34.5" around at this point. According to the gauge that I'm at (which, by the way is only 0.4 stitches off per inch :rollseyes: apparently even that much makes a huge difference) the measurement is 32.2", so off by over TWO whole inches. Eeeeeeek!

My last effort to save this will be to put the work so far on waste yarn and actually try it on and HOPEFULLY discover that I'm smaller than I think I am :roflhard: , but I'm thinking that there's some frogging in my near future.

Oh well, you live and learn, right????

silveridger
01-21-2006, 05:06 PM
knitqueen, (hope this isn't so obvious as to be a really dumb comment) have you taken into account that the sweater is designed to be 2" smaller than your physical measurements? It just seemed like a coincidence that your variance is the same...

Hope you get this worked out, I love the pattern! I'd love to make it myself, but I don't have a clue as to how to divide for armholes, etc. Hopefully with a little more experience I'll be ready to tackle it too.

knitqueen
01-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure exactly how that works but I am doing the size that is my desired finished bust size which is 36" and I think the pattern takes into account the rest.

What I've ended up doing is leaving the yoke as it is, and am switching to a size 6 for the rest. If it doesn't work out I will rip it but wanted to at least try this first.

knitqueen
01-22-2006, 12:09 AM
Well, I kept with it and I'm glad I did! :happydance: I just took it off the needles and put it on waste yarn to try it on and....

*drum roll please*

:cheering: :cheering: IT FITS!!!! :cheering: :cheering:

I can't BELIEVE I'm knitting this on a size 6 but it seems to be doing the trick and the knit itself doesn't look like a too thin yarn for a too big needle.

So as you can see, I just started the body part below the armhole shaping. The rest will be mundane stockinette with some waist decreases and increases.

:XX:

foldedbird
01-22-2006, 01:57 AM
I finally have my needles for Picovoli! With the help of Brooke (http://beatknit.blogspot.com) and TinkerMel (http://lotusknitter.blogspot.com) I cast on & am now working through the first set of increases. We tinkered with the pattern a bit, but all seems to be going well for now. Famous last words, right?

Yeah, I'm starting a little bit late. We've dedicated Saturdays (the days we usually meet) as KAL day. I have oh, bout 6 rounds done? LOL! So sorry, I was at a HALO 2 tourney all day. But, here's proof that I was working on it.

http://deniseknits.typepad.com/PicoTourney.jpg

*Sigh* And here's the buck I lost gambling on H2 tournaments. I was so shocked... it was a SURE bet, too!

http://deniseknits.typepad.com/SuckerBet.jpg

hehe, cool pictures. They're actually up right now at nexgamerz.com, but I imagine my knitting will get edited out eventually.

I *hope* to get much more knitting done tomorrow on the way to the circus! [/img]

joe_doufu
01-22-2006, 07:10 AM
I finished the mantle or yoke or whatever you call it on my top-down raglan, and have knit about a half an inch under the arm holes. I tried it on about an inch *before* joining the underarm and it was almost there... haven't tried it again because it was so time consuming to put it on the waste yarn and then take it back onto the needle. I'll try it again after knitting a couple of inches down, to figure out if the body is too tight, too loose, or okay.

Mer
01-22-2006, 10:32 PM
Started the sleeve on mine, and the no-sew hem thing doesn't work so well with magic loop (at least not for me). I dropped a stitch and think I'll start it over--but I was only about an 1" into it.

Lady M
01-23-2006, 04:47 PM
~ Progress Report ~

I have started on my sweater and am doing "Bob" From knitty.com.

I had to do a lot of calculations in order to get my size and so far it is going well. I have my bottom ribbing compleated and am about 8" into the 24" of stocking net that I have to go...... This sweater is going to be 32" long to suit my particular body type. If the pattern adjustments that i have made are correct , then I will post the revisions for every size up to 70" around. Why I went so high is to help anyone who may want to knit themselves a nice sweater and have no idea as how to go about the process. After reading Elizabeth Zimmermann's book "Knitting Without Tears" and Jacqueline Fee's "The Sweater Workshop" I may have gained the knowledge to adapt any pattern to actually fit anyone. Im on the Trial sweater now using "Bob" as my guinne pig ......... I will keep everyone up with my progress. This sweater is going to take a while to complete as I knit slow and it is rather large. But I will hang in there and keep you all updated. Below is a Pic of my progress.

Anne

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Week 4

Time to play catch up! Check out weeks 1-3, and (pgs 1, 22 and 30) for the scoop.

I just got in from Dallas last night at 9:00. What a mess. Everything was delayed and I came home to 10 inches of snow. :mad: I need the catch-up week because I didn't get any knitting done on my trip!!!

KellyK
01-24-2006, 01:16 PM
After a short hiatus from miles of stockinette st to do a couple of smaller projects, I got back to my sweater last night. Knit 10 more rows, bound off the body and picked up the sleeve sts! :happydance:

MaryS
01-24-2006, 01:29 PM
:happydance: :happydance: I finished BOB (the sweater) last night!!!!! :happydance: :happydance:

AND IT FITS!!!!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Here are most of the changes I made to the original pattern:

I did the body as written up to the armholes, then I slipped 8 armhole stitches onto waste yarn at each side.

I did the sleeves in the round but on 2 less stitches than the pattern called for - this took out the selvedge stitches since there's no sleeve seam.

When I reached the bind off row of the sleeves I put 8 stitches on waste yarn, left enough of a tail to Kitchner stitch the underarms closed, and put all the stitches on a big circ. The first couple of rounds of the yoke were a little awkward, but it got easier really fast.

I did 28 rounds of the decreases as written (decreasing the body every other round and the sleeves on every fourth round), then I switched to decreasing both sleeves and body every other round for twelve rounds (six decrease rounds), then I decreased every round seven times.

After that I did 6 rounds even, but I put in four short rows on the back neck on the first of the neck rounds. When that was done all I had to do was Kitchner stitch the eight underarm stitches on each side, and DONE!!

When I figure out my photo software I'll post a picture, but the yarn is Berroco Cotton Twist (variegated) in Secret Garden color. It's what I bought at the last Chicago KAL two weeks ago.

This is the first item of clothing (other than clogs) I've actually made for MEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

This could be habit forming! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy Knitting :XX: :XX:

Mary

Mer
01-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Yay Mary! :cheering: :cheering:

KellyK
01-24-2006, 02:18 PM
WOW Mary! I cant wait to see pics! All that math you just mentioned made me DIZZY! :shock:

knitqueen
01-24-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm still plugging away at Picovoli. Just started the waist decreases AND I ended up switching back to size 5 because once I tried it on after the bust section was done, it was a touch loose. I just can't seem to win with gauge on this one.

jhelanee
01-24-2006, 02:48 PM
:happydance: :happydance: I finished BOB (the sweater) last night!!!!! :happydance: :happydance:

AND IT FITS!!!!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Here are most of the changes I made to the original pattern:

Congrats on finishing! :cheering:

Thanks for posting all of your changes/calculations. Sounds very much like what I will be starting to do later this week. :oo: Out of curiosity, what size circular did you use for the yoke? I am trying to figure out if I can use my 24" for the whole thing or if I will additional sizes. :thinking:

To update my Bob progress: I amazed myself by finishing the entire body up to the armholes in a single week. :shock: So I put that on a spare needle and am working on the first sleeve (knit flat since I know my gauge will go all wonky knitting on aluminum DPNs vs. my bamboo circular). My goal for this week is to get both sleeves knit to the armholes and joined in with the body.

:XX: :XX: :XX:

Jazzmatazz
01-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Congratulations!! Pictures please! I'm doing Bob by the pattern since I don't feel like trying to ad lib anything on my first sweater. I have to finish the second sleeve, then do the seaming. I've never done the blanket stitch, so that will be a new skill to learn. I've bookmarked a Knitty article to use as a guide.

Now I just need a pattern to use up my 8 skeins of Knitpicks Shine. I don't even know why I ordered it. :blush:

knitqueen
01-24-2006, 04:16 PM
Now I just need a pattern to use up my 8 skeins of Knitpicks Shine. I don't even know why I ordered it. :blush:

You could do Picovoli (link in my sig), it suggests Knitpicks Shine and is a really great pattern.

Jillle
01-24-2006, 04:49 PM
I got one sleeve done last week. This week hopefully I'll get the other one done. (Then I still have the hood and putting all the peices together, that will be fun! :rollseyes: ) Little be little progress is being made! :cheering:

MaryS
01-24-2006, 05:21 PM
Jennifer,

For the yoke of Bob I hooked my largest and smallest cables from my Denises together. With the needle tips I think :?? it ended up being approximately 37" around. After I'd been decreasing for a while - at about round 15 or 16 - I took out the smallest cable piece. Then at about round 30 or so I switched to a smaller cable. When I bound off at the neck I think I was at either 18 or 20".

I really :heart: :heart: :heart: my Denises!!!!

Mary

Jazzmatazz
01-24-2006, 05:51 PM
I've been looking at the Picovoli, Knitqueen, but since it's so tight-fitting, I've wondered if it's for me. I don't have the shape of the model, at least not anymore!!!

earthchick
01-24-2006, 11:04 PM
Just wanting to check in and say howdy . I have set aside my KAL project for now (the To Dye For) so I can get dh's anniversary sweater done. I'm really psyched about it - love the pattern, love the yarn, and it's going pretty fast. I've done almost all of 1 arm and am getting close to being done with the body up to the yoke. Looks like I'll meet my deadline. Then I can get back to the sweater for me. :happydance:

It's great to see the progress people are making! :thumbsup: