PDA

View Full Version : 2006--The Year of the Sweater Week 11 UPDATE p45

Pages : 1 2 [3]

KellyK
01-25-2006, 01:05 AM
OOH! An anniversary sweater! That is a GREAT idea!

Here's my progress.....Ive done 12 rows on each sleeve. Its gonna be BIG (yes, Hildie told me so), but it will be COMFY!

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/kpns_sweater_for_kelly_184.jpg

earthchick
01-25-2006, 07:24 AM
KK, that's so pretty!! :inlove: :thumbsup:

nicolethegeek
01-25-2006, 10:22 AM
Well I needed a catch-up week too! I only got about 2/3 of my sleeve done last week... it was kinda nuts here. I want to finish that off and get started on the back. I want to have this done so I can wear it during the knitting olympics! :D

foldedbird
01-25-2006, 11:19 AM
I'm working on mine, too. Dropped a bunch of sts that I'm having a hard time picking up, since they are 1 st before my increase marker. Brooke-Ya-Ya is going to meet me at our spot today to help. Weee!

silveridger
01-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the catch-up time, I'm going to need it. Got the body done, shoulders bound off (3-needle bind off), and the kind-a-turtleneck collar done (part ribbing, part rolled edge). The sleeves on this pattern are picked up around the armhole and knitted down. Got this done on a circular, but had to switch to dpn's after the first couple of decreases. This was problematic for me, working on the sleeve attached to a large mound of sweater on my lap meant I was constantly poking the ends of the dpn's into the sweater. After pulling a couple of loops out of my sweater body :doh: , I took a leap of faith and switched to the 2-circ method (a first for me). The process is going smoothly now, but it seems to take forever to make any progress! Now I know what some of the Tubey people are going through! :lol:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-25-2006, 09:51 PM
yay mary!!!!!!!

yay KK!!!!

Jazz, you could save it for the designe your own summer tank KAL in March!

CateKnits
01-25-2006, 09:58 PM
I had to put Tubey in the Box of Death for a while..so I started a new sweater. :rollseyes: I'm working on Topsecret (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall02/PATTtopsecret.html) in a loverly grass green color.

foldedbird
01-25-2006, 10:02 PM
Sts are now picked back up. I :heart: Brooke! I've done another 2 rounds on it so far. I'd be doing more right now, but my people demand st markers!

Jan in CA
01-25-2006, 11:32 PM
Okay, I so want to start my sweater, but I don't know if I'll ever catch up! We are home from vacation now so I will try. I'm afraid to start... I did a swatch and it shows 4 stitches to the inch. Should I wash and dry it and see if it's the same before I start? The yarn is Bernat Denimstyle (http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=denimstyle)..does it shrink?

Oh I am doing this (http://www.knittingpureandsimple.com/) sweater..same one as KK.

It says:

Sizes xsmall, small, medium, large, x-large.
Finished measurements
Chest -38, 42, 46, 50, 54 ins
length 26 ins
gauge - 16 st equal 4 inches.

My gauge is pretty much right on as far as I can tell. My measurement around the bust is 40. Should I make the small? I don't want it too large, but I don't wear things close fitting.

foldedbird
01-26-2006, 01:41 AM
You do need to block (wash and/or dry) your swatch the same way you plan to clean your sweater to get an accurate gauge measurement.

I can't really help you on the size without knowing how much ease acrylic will give. SOME patterns call for you to knit a garment up to 2" smaller than your actual measurement to allow for negative ease, but some don't. I'm sure one of the other KALers can help you with your question. ;)

KellyK
01-26-2006, 01:48 AM
I would make the 42, Jan.

Jan in CA
01-26-2006, 03:07 AM
Does it tend to run large? I was thinking 42 as well. I will wash and dry the swatch tomorrow just to be sure of sizing.

Jazzmatazz
01-26-2006, 12:10 PM
I blocked the body of Bob, and I was amazed at how much better it looks. I thought you could only block wool, but the cotton blend benefited. Now to finish the second sleeve and block the sleeves so I can seam it up!

foldedbird
01-26-2006, 12:36 PM
I *think* the only fibers you can't block or silk and mohair. But, do look it up to be sure.

sogrammatical
01-26-2006, 12:44 PM
Well I just got back from vacation and now I've officially joined this knit-along. I just cast-on and knit two rows for my sweater! And gah I've got a lot of ground to make up.

If you need me, I'll be over here. Knitting.

foldedbird
01-26-2006, 12:49 PM
C'mon over here and sit next to me! I have lots to make up too!!!

KellyK
01-26-2006, 01:13 PM
I blocked the body of Bob

hee hee! :lol:

chicagoknitter
01-26-2006, 01:57 PM
I had to put Tubey in the Box of Death for a while..so I started a new sweater. :rollseyes: I'm working on Topsecret (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall02/PATTtopsecret.html) in a loverly grass green color.

Yippeee I am a total newby and I am about to cast on for TopSecret too! I am so happy to see someone else is here and doing the sweater...and totally behind too! :)

I have a question about the gauge though. Doesn't the pattern gauge usually tell you how many stitches (horizontal measure) and rows (vertical measure)? But this pattern just says 12 sts = 4" over st st using size 10.5 needles. ???

p.s. sorry about the death of Tubey....but I am very happy to see someone else starting on the same pattern as me! :cheering:

CateKnits
01-26-2006, 02:05 PM
I'm pretty sure it's giving gauge for stitches and ignoring rows. I don't know what other, more swatch obsessed people will say, but I think as long as you get the stitches per inch it's asking for, you'll be okay. I'm a bit nervous for the part where it all comes together at the top because I've never done that before.
And I'm glad someone else is doing this one, too. My roommate looked at the picture and says she hates this pattern :rollseyes: so I'm not going to be so excited to show her my finished sweater.

foldedbird
01-26-2006, 02:06 PM
The gauge given in the pattern is the stitch gauge. Row gauge isn't usually as crucial as your stitch gauge. Once you acheive your 3 sts/1" you can measure your row gauge on your swatch, if you like. You really won't need it unless you plan on altering your pattern in the future. It surely won't hurt to make note of it though!

foldedbird
01-26-2006, 02:07 PM
As long as YOU like it Cate! I think it's lovely, so show it to ME when you're done.

chicagoknitter
01-26-2006, 05:26 PM
Yes and show me too! Because I am sure I will not be done yet. I liked the pattern and it looked like it was easy for a new knitter (like me). As I was looking at the patterns for one I liked I kept asking myself whether I would pick it up in a store...I think I would try on Top Secret in a store, if nothing else it is a cuddly casual sweater right? So what does that roomate know anyway??

Thanks for the information about gauge. This will be the first time I am swatching so I just want to make sure it is right and other people keep talking about two different measurments they have for stitch and row so I was a little concerned.

Anyone see a problem with making this in HomeSpun?

CateKnits
01-26-2006, 05:37 PM
I'm using Lion Brand Wool-Ease chunky. Homespun shouldn't be a problem if you get gauge.

jhelanee
01-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Anyone see a problem with making this in HomeSpun?

I think that should work fine. As far as I can tell from the bad photo on the Bernat website, the Homespun looks similar to the suggested Illusion. I will warn you that things knitted with Homespun tend to be pretty stretchy and give different measurements when laid horizontal or hung vertically. So when measuring the length of the body or sleeves I would suggest holding the piece up so it is hanging when you measure - otherwise you might end up with a sewater that is down to your knees!

Good luck and happy knitting! :XX:

sogrammatical
01-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Well. You know how I joined this KAL late this morning? All I've done today so far is knit (seriously - I haven't gotten dressed even) and I've now knitted a little over 11 inches, bringing me to the armhole shaping on the back of my sweater!

Dang, I'm efficient!

sogrammatical
01-26-2006, 09:21 PM
I've made it to the neck shaping part and I'm finding the instructions absolutely baffling.

So what's going on is I've got 34 stitches on my needles. The instructions tell me to bind off 3 stitches at the beginning of the next two rows, which I do. The next directions are as follows:

Next Row (RS): Bind off 2 sts, k until there are 3 sts on RH needle, join another ball of yarn and bind off center 18 sts, k to end. Working both sides at once, bind off 2 sts at beg of the next 3 rows and AT THE SAME TIME, dec 1 st at each neck edge once.

In short, I have no idea what's going on here. It seems that I'm not going to have enough stitches to do all these bind off and decreases. So. What's going on here?

sogrammatical
01-27-2006, 02:08 AM
Well thanks to Ingrid (THANK YOU INGRID!) I got the neck trouble figured out, and I'm now done with the back of my sweater! :shock:

I think I'm going to take a break for a few days and work on one of my many other unfinished projects. :rollseyes:

knitqueen
01-27-2006, 02:17 AM
Here's my Picovoli progress this week. I finished the bust section and the waist decreases. Now I have to do the waist increases and the last couple of inches around the bottom, firstly PRAYING that I don't run out of yarn :pray: , weave in some ends and block the heck out of it. Then it will be DONE!!! I suspect by this weekend it will be wearable.

Now I'm trying to figure out why I decided to do this sweater NOW, in the middle of January. Oh well, spring will be here soon enough. :lol:

foldedbird
01-27-2006, 03:26 AM
WTG, knitqueen! It looks gorgeous!

Jazzmatazz
01-27-2006, 07:59 AM
Knitqueen, I just might use my shine for Picovoli after seeing yours. It looks great.

earthchick
01-27-2006, 12:01 PM
:heart: :heart: :heart: your Picovoli, knitqueen! Am putting it on my "to knit" list - and will definitely use the KP shine! :thumbsup:

knitqueen
01-27-2006, 12:55 PM
Thanks everyone :heart: . You know what the best part about this pattern is??? It FITS. The shaping is so well designed. AND there is so little finishing. No seaming which is the second best part, aside from the fit.

Go for it, Jazzmatazz!! :thumbsup:

KellyK
01-27-2006, 03:09 PM
It looks REALLY great! I wonder how hard it would be to add sleeves to that pattern.... :thinking:

knitqueen
01-27-2006, 05:01 PM
It looks REALLY great! I wonder how hard it would be to add sleeves to that pattern.... :thinking:

Grumperina actually gives a bit of a tutorial on adding sleeves here (http://www.grumperina.com/picovoli.htm). Not a pattern, per se, more like ideas on what could make it work. :thumbsup:

Jouf
01-27-2006, 06:09 PM
Knitqueen, that looks great! In the awfulest (is that a word?) case, you could do a big stripe at the bottom of some other color like black or white or something if you think you're running out. Or a black stripe with a skinnier white one on either side of it. Anyway, I sure like it.

WynnieG
01-27-2006, 09:04 PM
I feel so lame after seeing the progress of others.

It's no excuse that my yarn arrived after the start date or that my hand has been bugging me. I'm going to set a goal of finishing the back this weekend. I've got a date at a yarn store on Sunday, so some not-interrupted-by-beagles knitting time will be possible.

Here is my progress so far (in reverse order...d'oh.):

Angelia
01-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Looking good!! :cheering: :cheering:

Jan in CA
01-27-2006, 11:51 PM
I started my sweater today! Whoohoo! :cheering: I've not reached the part where you separate for the sleeves yet, but I feel good that I've at least got it on the needles!

Angelia
01-27-2006, 11:57 PM
Yay Jan!!! :happydance: :happydance:

knitqueen
01-29-2006, 12:23 AM
On the home stretch now. I'm taking a break for a few minutes, and to eat the chocolate pudding that dh made for me :inlove: , then I'm going to measure my yarn to see how many rounds I have enough for (YES, I am cutting it that close with my yarn :shock: ) and will hopefully finish tonight. YAY!!!!

:cheering:

CateKnits
01-29-2006, 12:24 AM
You'll post pictures when you finish, right? ;)
I haven't had pudding in ages, but now I want some... :thinking:

knitqueen
01-29-2006, 12:35 AM
It's more than pudding that he makes....much thicker and so chocolately....mmmmmm.... :heart: :heart: :heart:

Anyways, yes of course I will post pictures once finished. I might post a "finished and off the needles" pic tonight, and will get one up of me wearing it once the ends are woven and it is blocked.

CateKnits
01-29-2006, 12:41 AM
YAAAAY!
I'm so excited! I might not go to bed until you do! Which is also a good thing, because it give me reason to stay up and work on my sweater! :cheering:
I always liked to save some of the powdery stuff from jello pudding to mix in after it had set. It sounds totally gross, but it makes it thicker!

Jan in CA
01-29-2006, 12:47 AM
KellyK...I'm making the same sweater you are and I'm wondering about something. I still have about 10 rows to go on the top part (yoke?) and the needles are nearly filled with stitches already! 10 rows equals about 40 more increases! :shock: Were your needles jammed with stitches before you separated the sleeve parts? I am making a small so I can't imagine any more stitches on the larger sizes since the needle size was the same! :shock:

knitqueen
01-29-2006, 02:49 AM
It's done!! :happydance: Well, done except for weaving in and blocking. The little blob of yarn to the left is what's left of my yarn. I'd estimate about 20ft only :shock: . If I had more yarn, I'd have made it a smidge longer but hopefully I can lengthen it a touch with blocking. It's cotton too, and that tends to stretch a bit, right?

So anyways, this is the picture I have for now and hopefully tomorrow or the next day I can get a pic of me modelling it. It is a wonderful, easy pattern, I'd recommend it to anyone! :thumbsup:

CateKnits
01-29-2006, 02:50 AM
Yaaaaay!!! It's gorgeous! :cheering: :cheering:

knitqueen
01-29-2006, 02:52 AM
CATE you're hilarious!!! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: You must have been sitting there, in your PJ's, waiting for me to post!!!!!! You just made my day. :D

CateKnits
01-29-2006, 02:56 AM
I WAS! There's nothing wrong with that, is there? :oo: :roflhard:

knitqueen
01-29-2006, 02:57 AM
Cate, you're AWESOME :heart: ....now go to bed!!! ;)

Jan in CA
01-29-2006, 02:57 AM
That's so pretty! If I was 20 lbs thinner I might make one of them for me. ;)

CateKnits
01-29-2006, 03:01 AM
Thanks. ;) You're pretty awesome, too! :heart: And I AM going to bed soon! I'm sleepy!

Angelia
01-29-2006, 09:09 AM
Oh wow, KQ, that's gorgeous! :cheering:

Model it for us! :twisted:

And Cate, you crack me up! I guess having someone finish allows us to live vicariously, doesn't it? :rofling:

Andrea
01-29-2006, 09:49 AM
Knitqueen it's absolutely gorgeous!!! :heart: :inlove: Great job! (yet another "to knit" item for my ever growing list :rollseyes: :roflhard: )

KellyK
01-29-2006, 10:25 AM
KellyK... Were your needles jammed with stitches before you separated the sleeve parts?

Yup....I had to add a couple of extending cords to the ol' Denises.

KQ - that looks FANNNNTASTIC!!! :cheering:

earthchick
01-29-2006, 10:39 AM
KQ, I :heart: it!!! :inlove: SO pretty! Can't wait to see pics of it on!

Jan in CA
01-29-2006, 02:48 PM
KellyK... Were your needles jammed with stitches before you separated the sleeve parts?

Yup....I had to add a couple of extending cords to the ol' Denises.

Okay! I didn't know you could do that. I guess that is sorta dumb, it's not like the designer or going to come over and whack me with a needle, but.. :roflhard: I was just trying very carefully to follow the pattern to the T! :rollseyes: So I guess you can just adjust the cord size according to what you need regardless of the sizes they mention as long as you are following the pattern and it all fits w/o stretching or bunching. I wish I'd asked this before I got so dang many stitches on there..it's going to hard to add a new one, but I'll figure it out. Sorry for being so dense. :shifty:

Jazzmatazz
01-30-2006, 08:16 AM
I have now seamed up my Bob, but am not happy with the way it looks. One side looks marginally better. I tried following instructions from Knitty, but I have a feeling this is something that takes experience to perfect. I am going to rip out one side and see if it looks better the second time around. On the bright side, it fits okay. A tiny bit "roomy" but I am okay with that.

KellyK
01-30-2006, 08:23 AM
On behalf of Hildegard_Von_Knittin (who is crazy-insane busy with paper writing), I hereby duly declare WEEK FIVE!!

*trumpets blare, heavens open, angels sing*

This week, we "Start the next section" so if you did the back, now start the front, or finish the other sleeve or whatever. :thumbsup:

I personally, have both sleeves going at once, so Im going to "start" the lower 3/4 of my sleeves! :cheering:

Angelia
01-30-2006, 08:34 AM
:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

knitqueen
01-30-2006, 11:55 AM
I have now seamed up my Bob, but am not happy with the way it looks. One side looks marginally better. I tried following instructions from Knitty, but I have a feeling this is something that takes experience to perfect. I am going to rip out one side and see if it looks better the second time around. On the bright side, it fits okay. A tiny bit "roomy" but I am okay with that.

Be EXTRA careful when ripping out the seams that you don't accidentally cut the knitting itself. I did this once, and believe me it's not something I ever want to repeat! :doh:

nicolethegeek
01-30-2006, 02:23 PM
Well I was hoping to do up {or at least start} the back of my sweater this week, but I have sleeve issues (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8776) that I need to deal with first... although maybe making the back will give me time to think about what to do about my sleeves. I am hoping to have this sweater done in time for the Knitting Olympics.

WynnieG
01-30-2006, 05:43 PM
Thanks for that, Kel!

And for once, I'm caught up! Woohoo! *cymbals crash*

I hereby present my finished sweater back, the result of blitzkreig knitting in week 4. I'm so proud of myself I could cry. (or maybe that's because I didn't by the sparkly lace yarn I saw yesterday at the LYS?)

The front of this sweater makes me slightly nervous, as it involves short row shaping in the bust area, which is a technique I've only used once before, on socks. I'm worried I'll get sidetracked watching Bleak House and accidentally knit in 3 boob compartments. :shock: Just what everyone wants, right? Undulating bustline?

KellyK
01-30-2006, 06:24 PM
It looks GREAT, Wyn!! :cheering:

Jan in CA
01-30-2006, 10:13 PM
It's starting to look like sweater! Whoohoo!! :cheering: I know I'm behind, but I just started a few days ago.

KellyK
01-30-2006, 10:48 PM
JAN...it looks GREAT!!! :cheering: I didnt know we were even using the same YARN! :lol: Is that the purple? Isnt it NICE to knit with??? :happydance:

Jan in CA
01-30-2006, 10:51 PM
Thanks Kelly! This color is stonewash so it's bluish. It is nice to knit with! I was so excited when I got to the body part because now I can see it better. I sure hope it fits! Otherwise my daughter gets a new sweater and I get zip! :shock: :rollseyes:

sogrammatical
01-31-2006, 01:04 AM
I cast on the front of mine and knit about an inch and a half of ribbing while watching a dvd with friends. This part won't go as quickly as the back seeing as I actually have other things to do, but it's still knitting up pretty fast.

CateKnits
01-31-2006, 01:05 AM
I have about three inches of the body left. I'm halfway finished with the first sleeve, though! :cheering:

Jenelle
01-31-2006, 01:24 PM
:hiding:

Everyones sweaters are looking great

:hiding:

Jazzmatazz
01-31-2006, 08:33 PM
My sweater is finished, right down to the FrayStop applied to the ends of the cotton blend yarn I used. I will post a picture in the next day or so. What did I learn? That I can follow a raglan sweater pattern, but really need to practice seaming before doing another one.

Now I just have to get up the nerve to wear the thing without wondering if everyone knows where all the mistakes are. :balloons:

earthchick
02-01-2006, 12:12 AM
Congrats, jazzmatazz! Can't wait to see pics.

Am loving seeing everyone's progress pics. WTG!

I haven't picked up my KAL sweater in 2 weeks now but will get back to it probably late next week. I've finished one sleeve of dh's anniversary sweater and have done the body up to where the sleeves join. Tomorrow I'll cast on the other sleeve and hope to finish it by the weekend so I can go ahead and start doing the yoke. I have 10 days till our anniversary and till the Knitting Olympics starts. Keeping my fingers crossed that that'll be enough time to finish it. I'm so excited about it!!! And DH is so oblivious b/c he never ever asks me what I'm working on. So tonight I'm sitting there knitting his sweater right in front of him, and I ask, "So is there anything in particular you'd like as an anniversary gift?" tee hee

kitkat
02-01-2006, 11:02 AM
Just caught up on this KAL - now I have all sorts of patterns that I think I must do in the near future.

Here is what I am working on:

http://www.theknittinggarden.com/noro-noroknits.htm the pattern is McKee. I am NOT doing it this long, nobody who has hips wants stripes magnifying the effect. Am going for a below the waist cropped look, so reduced the ribbing to 2 1/2 inches.

Progress:
Front - done up to the armpits --need to start doing decreases
Back - almost done up to the armpits....ditto above
Sleeve - started one, and then realized I would be much better off if I do them in tandem.

Here is my question - am I asking for trouble if I use different needles on these components? My front/back was done with Addi's, and I actually started the sleeve on boyes as my denise in the proper size is already in use elsewhere.

Lots of fun, everyone! The completed ones look great, I can't wait to start a summer sweater!

volmel
02-04-2006, 04:31 PM
I finished my Tempting sweater in Tennessee orange with a white ribbon to wear to ballgames. I'll post a picture later. My next is the Mudflap Girl Tank (http://www.thisgirlknits.com/mudflapgirl.html). I just ordered the yarn. This is so much fun!

Mel

volmel
02-04-2006, 11:10 PM
Tempting sweater:

kitkat
02-04-2006, 11:48 PM
That looks fabulous! GREAT JOB!

Jan in CA
02-05-2006, 12:00 AM
Great job! It's a beautiful sweater! I love it with the ribbon!

Jazzmatazz
02-05-2006, 12:30 AM
The sweater looks great and it looks great on you. Good choice!

Andrea
02-05-2006, 05:47 AM
Mel you are just cranking these sweaters out!! Nice job!!! :cheering:

volmel
02-05-2006, 09:58 AM
Thanks so much everyone!

Andrea, I have to admit that I also finished a skirt in the A-line skirt knit along. I'm obsessed!

Mel

volmel
02-05-2006, 09:59 AM
I also have to admit that I wore a padded bra in the picture so I would have bigger ta-ta's. :roflhard:

kitkat
02-05-2006, 10:47 AM
Nothing wrong with that!

Mer
02-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Looks great, Mel!!!

I finished my Hourglass! :cheering: It's drying now, so pictures will have to wait.

Andrea
02-05-2006, 02:54 PM
I also have to admit that I wore a padded bra in the picture so I would have bigger ta-ta's. :roflhard:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: Atta girl!!

earthchick
02-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Mel, gorgeous sweater! :inlove: I really want to make that one some time - did you enjoy working on it?

volmel
02-05-2006, 10:45 PM
Thanks again :)

Stacey, I did enjoy working on it, but it was start and stop cause I didn't estimate correctly on the yarn so I had to wait for some more. The cotton had a tendency to want to split, so I had to be careful with that, but it was fun anyway!

Mel

Jazzmatazz
02-06-2006, 05:55 PM
I had to take my own picture, but here's Bob. A bit roomy in fit, but it turned out better than I had thought it would. I may be finished with cotton blends for a while though.

earthchick
02-06-2006, 06:34 PM
AWESOME!!! Great job, jazzmatazz! :thumbsup:

KellyK
02-06-2006, 08:16 PM
REALLY good job! LOVE that color....

Mer
02-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Great job, jazz!

I finished mine--I feel like I've posted pics all over so here's the link (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114606#114606).

kitkat
02-06-2006, 10:05 PM
I love your Bob! I gotta make that this spring!

WynnieG
02-07-2006, 11:05 AM
Hildie....Keeellly....where arrrre yoooooou?

It's week 6, oui? I have no idea if I'm ahead or behind. Seems like everyone is finishing their sweaters already. *pout*

volmel
02-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Jazz, the Bob looks soooo great on you. You did a fantastic job.

Mel

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-07-2006, 02:50 PM
:doh: I can't veen keep up with my life, let alone this thread!!!! :doh:

Week 6: Finish the second part
-- so your back was done in week 4, week 5 you started the front, week 6, you'll finish the front. If you started a sleeve in week 5, finish it in week 6. Everyone cool?

I myself am still working on the first sleeve of tubey :doh: After my trip to Dallas and the student teacher disaster I've been playing catch up at school... and I have a concert in 3 weeks, PLUS the end of my class is the 19th. Someday I might actually get to start the body :wall:

Jazzmatazz
02-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Jazz, the Bob looks soooo great on you. You did a fantastic job.

Mel

Thanks for the compliments all of you...although I THOUGHT volmel said the BOOB looks so great on you. I went back and read it again. :roflhard:

Jan in CA
02-07-2006, 03:28 PM
I am on the body of my sweater and due to the fact that it's endless rows of knit stitch in the round it's taking forever. I think there is a distinct possibility that it's like going from Dallas to New Mexico...they move the border ever further west so you can never actually get there...KWIM??! :roflhard: :roflhard:

Okay so actually the body is now about half done. I had to make a couple chemo caps in the middle of it...thinking that I needed a break from the endless rows of knit stitch...only to discover that the hats were also endless rows of knit stitch! However I have finished them so back to the sweater... :XX: ....at least till the Olympics start... :roflhard:

vcuchica931
02-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Hilde stopped by! Yay! Hope everything goes smoothly for you and you dont get too stressed!

Your green bob looks great Jazzmatazz! WTG!

Right well I'm right on schedule, I just need to finish the left front of my sweater and then I think the collar is next.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-07-2006, 10:18 PM
and, tactfully as always, I forgot to say that WOW everyone's sweaters look so great!!!!!

nicolethegeek
02-09-2006, 12:13 PM
I'm in serious frantic knitting mode here. All I have left to do is about 7 rows of the cowl neck on my sweater, then all the seaming. I'm disappointed with how the bottom hem looks, so I'll probably do a round of slip stitch or single crochet to make it look neater. I need to have this done today since tomorrow is the KO. I want to wear this sweater to my SnB on the 21st, so it has to be done today!!!

CateKnits
02-09-2006, 02:55 PM
:cheering: Everybody's finished sweaters make me want to hurry up and get mine done!

Okay, so I'm knitting Topsecret from Knitty. I did most of the body, put it aside, and just finished the sleeves...Picking up the body again, I noticed it's curling on the bottom. :crying: The pattern told me to purl an inch around the bottom, and then knit up for 17.5 inches...So I did that (well, I'm at about 15.5 inches), but apparently the inch of purling wasn't quite enough. It worked out on the sleeves very nicely, but not on the body. Is there any way I can fix it without frogging a skein and a half worth of knitting? Will it relax at all after I wash it, maybe? I'm guessing not. I'm using Lion Brand Wool-Ease, if that makes any difference...

Jillle
02-09-2006, 06:58 PM
I have about 6 inches of my hood left and then the seaming. Looks like I'm neck-n-neck with Nicole! Goal: I want to get done before the Olympics starts.

chicagoknitter
02-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Cateknits -

I am working on TopSecret too, I thought it was supposed to curl up at the bottom?!? I am working with Lions Brand Homespun and it sort of buckles out and curls a bit where the purling is. I looked at the picture and it does not really look like that...but since this is my first sweater I was just sort of going with the flow. I finished the body and I am about half way done with the first sleeve. I was hoping you were done and I could see yours to find inspiration! ;)

CateKnits
02-10-2006, 03:22 PM
It is supposed to curl, but mine curls above the purl section. It needed one more purl row. :rollseyes: Assuming I get my paper written this weekend, I should be finished with the sweater by next weekend. I'll post pictures! How far along is yours?

Jan in CA
02-10-2006, 05:48 PM
As you can see I am behind, but I started late, too. I've also done 3 chemo caps in the meantime.

http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/55835984-M.jpg

vcuchica931
02-11-2006, 12:50 AM
I just finished the left front of my sweater!! So now i just have the collar and the 2 sleeves!!!! :happydance:

(and the seaming) :rollseyes:

earthchick
02-11-2006, 08:04 AM
Jan, that looks awesome! :thumbsup:

My KAL sweater is still on a break, while I try to finish up dh's anniversary sweater and make progress on my KO socks.

sogrammatical
02-11-2006, 01:34 PM
I've just got to do the neck shaping on the front of my sweater, and then I'll also just have the sleeves and the collar. Unfortunately, I've put the sweater down so I can do the knitting olympics so I'm probably not going to do much work on it for the next two weeks.

joe_doufu
02-12-2006, 07:28 AM
Hey everybody, sorry I haven't posted in a while. I'm getting ready to move to China... tomorrow! I have a new job teaching in a university in Beijing starting 2/18. My sweater has come along slowly. Just recently I've closed the arm-holes (it's a top-down raglan) and tested the fit. It's just the right size on my shoulders, and I kinda like the look.

Unfortunately... I think I've got to ditch it. Reason #1 is I chose a very small gauge so it's taken AGES to get this far, and I probably won't have the free time or patience to finish the whole thing in China. Reason #2 is that the yarn is a Korean brand and I won't be able to get any more in China. I'd hate to go for months and months and then not be able to finish the last sleeve. And my bags are so full I'm already chucking stuff.

I think I'm going to leave this one behind, and get started on a new project when I get to Beijing and find a yarn store. I'm very interested in making a sweater vest (argyle perhaps) because that's the kind of thing I wear.

Sara
02-12-2006, 09:19 AM
It looks good, Joe! Have a safe trip! Now you'll have to scout out places to find yarn in China. Where will you live? It sounds like such a fabulous adventure! Good luck!

Jazzmatazz
02-12-2006, 10:12 AM
Have a great time in China! It's a shame to leave that sweater behind, because it's turning out great. Someday, someday...

Keep in touch with us here~

Mer
02-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Joe, that looks great! Too bad you won't be able to take it with you. Good luck in China!

silveridger
02-13-2006, 12:08 PM
I finished mine! I'm loving this KAL, the schedule (loose as it is) keeps me on task :thumbsup: . And, although it's not my first FO, it's one of the best fitting, no error (I was careful and fixed everything as I went along instead of the dreaded "no one else will notice"), non-homemade-looking things I've knitted yet. This was a pretty easy pattern, fairly large needles (10.5's), and lovely yarn (Knit Picks Decadence). Skills used: knitting in the round, 3-needle bind off, and picking up stitches to knit the sleeves & collar right onto the garment. This last one was pretty cool, absolutely no seaming whatsoever! Other than weaving in the tails, there was no finishing. I still have to block it, but I've already worn it "out in public" and it's a loose, slouchy design so blocking isn't essential. Yes, I WILL do it this week ;) .

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/herbgal/Knitting/93528de9.jpg

Jillle
02-13-2006, 12:38 PM
Wow, that looks great Silver! Fits you so nicely.
I'm having some "issues" with my sweater. I thought I was done, but it ended up way too big, looks kinda like a poncho (as my DH said :( ). I've blocked it and am now adding to the bottom. Keep your fingers crossed for me. After a month of working on this, I really hope it turns out wearable. :pray:

Jan in CA
02-13-2006, 01:43 PM
That's a lovely sweater! It looks very comfy!

chicagoknitter
02-13-2006, 03:33 PM
I see what you are saying.

I am only about 10 inches into my first sleeve. It looks HUGE! So I did the first part of the body, and more than half of my first sleeve. I have been doing it slowly now since work has picked up :( but I hope to finish the sleeve in the near future and get working on the second one.

The attachment of the sleeves with the body in the directions scares me a bit so I may be bugging you soon to see if it worked out for you and figure out what the heck they are talking about! :)

Hang in there, you are almost done! :thumbsup:

It is supposed to curl, but mine curls above the purl section. It needed one more purl row. :rollseyes: Assuming I get my paper written this weekend, I should be finished with the sweater by next
weekend. I'll post pictures! How far along is yours?

KellyK
02-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Once again, on behalf of Hilde, I declarrrrrre WEEEEEEEEK SEVENNNNNN!!!! (Like the wrestling "lets get ready to rumble" guy)

Now, we start the NEXT next thing....if you are done with both sleeves, start the body. If you're done with front and back, start a sleeve or two!

We are entering the home stretch....by the end of February, we'll be ready for the SCAARRRRRY SEAAAAMMMING!!! :shock:

If you havent already, now might be a good time to try on your work & see if any adjustments should be made (i.e., avoid the "OMG its 2 inches too short" syndrome)

Jillle
02-15-2006, 09:02 PM
I finished!! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Jan in CA
02-15-2006, 09:54 PM
The sweater looks great, Jillie! I swear I am never going to be done with mine..I am doing the KO as well so I've had to put it off for the most part. Lesson learned..don't join too many KALs at one time!!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-15-2006, 10:07 PM
wow! looks great Jillie! Is it itchy??? I *love* noro, but I'm nervous about doing a sweater with it....

Jazzmatazz
02-15-2006, 10:16 PM
I love that colorway, so springy! Great look for you!

Jillle
02-16-2006, 01:20 AM
Thanks Jan, Hilde and Jazz. Its not itchy at all. I washed it and its super soft. I probably would not use the Kochoran again though. It has angora and its a little too furry for me!

earthchick
02-16-2006, 07:25 AM
:inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Jillie, that is *gorgeous*!!!! You did a great job! It looks fabulous on you.

nicolethegeek
02-16-2006, 01:35 PM
I finished knitting the cowl neck on my sweater just before cast on for the KO. I was really hoping to finish it first. I still have the seaming to do, and want to do a round of sc or sl st around the bottom hem to make it look finished. I have to say, that although this pattern is definitely a stunner, there are a lot of little details that could have been added to make the sweater look more finished, as well as the pattern being written more clearly. Depending on how my KO goes, I might still get it all complete in time for my next SnB on the 21st.

KellyK
02-18-2006, 02:39 AM
:happydance: I finished my sweater!!! :happydance:

(I shouldnt post this until I have pics, huh? :shifty: )

Its washing right now....pics tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
02-18-2006, 02:59 AM
:happydance: I finished my sweater!!! :happydance:

(I shouldnt post this until I have pics, huh? :shifty: )

Its washing right now....pics tomorrow. :thumbsup:

:cheering: :thumbsup: Can't wait to see it!

jhelanee
02-18-2006, 02:41 PM
I have finished mine as well! :cheering: I still need to block it though, and then borrow a camera so I can show it off. That will probably have to wait until the end of the Knitting Olympics so I can photograph a bunch of stuff at once.

CateKnits
02-18-2006, 02:51 PM
I finished mine, too. I'll take a picture once I dig up enough quarters to wash it. :rollseyes:

Jillle
02-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Wow. Kelly, Jennifer, Cate can't wait to see your pictures! (*Insert toe tapping emoticon here.*) ;)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-19-2006, 08:55 PM
Hildie is getting hives because so many people are done and she's no where close :shock:

Week 8: Catch up week!!!!

Here's where we should be:
All "parts" are done. Seaming is ready to be started NEXT week.

Now is a good time to re-read that pattern, and find out if you need any special equipment for putting it together (which you were *supposed to do* in week 1!). Make sure you understand how it goes together-- you dont' want a sleeve coming out of the neck! Finally, check out Amy's finishing techniques video (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php) In case you need to refresh your memory.

foldedbird
02-20-2006, 02:11 AM
I had a bit of trouble with Picovoli off and on, but I am on my way to being back on track. Once again, I had to call in for back-up. :rollseyes: After I adjust my st markers, I should be on a roll again starting the waist decreases.

While Pico was on hold because of mistakes, I started Ballet Wrap from IWK winter 05. It's going very well. I'm using DB Chunky Merino in plum. I have the back piece done, and am working on the left front flap.

KellyK
02-20-2006, 08:14 AM
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/kpns_sweater_for_kelly_486.jpg

earthchick
02-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Kelly, that looks awesome! So cute on you - looks like it's comfy too! :thumbsup:

CateKnits
02-20-2006, 12:33 PM
Here's mine. Maybe now I'll finish Tubey, which is what I started for this KAL. :oo: :roflhard:

KellyK
02-20-2006, 01:12 PM
Looks REALLY good on you, Cate! That color is PERFECT and the shaping is, too!

ebrperk
02-20-2006, 01:17 PM
Kelly your sweater looks great. I may have to do that one someday.

Cate-what pattern is that? It looks really comfy.

CateKnits
02-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Sorry, I forgot to share!
It's Topsecret (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall02/PATTtopsecret.html) from Knitty. I made it with five skeins of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Chunky in grass green. I bought six, so I don't know what I'm going to do with the other...I thought matching hat, but that's overkill. :rollseyes:
And it IS comfy! I wore it to classes all day today.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-20-2006, 11:24 PM
yay cate and KK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jazzmatazz
02-21-2006, 08:26 AM
My favorite part of the knitalong is seeing the FOs. Those sweaters are such pretty colors.

Jillle
02-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Cate and Kelly-Awesome job! :cheering:

foldedbird
02-22-2006, 02:24 PM
Have replaced st markers on my Picovoli. Haven't had much time to work on it since my last post here.

wyoknitter
02-22-2006, 03:00 PM
My sweater progress has been really slow ~ I just finished the front this a.m. and have the sleeves to go. But I'm learning a lot ! :happydance:

Everyone is looking lovely in their finished projects. Way to go :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Laura

sogrammatical
02-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I'm totally behind. I took a break to work on my Knitting Olympics project, which isn't going to be finished in time, and now I still need to knit both sleeves. Ack!

HeatherHunter
02-26-2006, 07:22 PM
I'm working on the Sitcom Chic designed by Bonnie Marie Burns...

I have most of it finished...just need to do the neck shaping, edge finishing, and sew on that darn button! :D

I should have it finished by the end of next week <crossing fingers>

I'd love to show it off with some pics, but am a total computer flunkie and don't know how to attach pictures...not even to my blog!!! :roflhard:

Everyone's doing such a great job!!! Woo-Hoo to us!!!! :thumbsup:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-26-2006, 07:44 PM
Week 9!!!!

Okay knitters, this is the home stretch!
Here's where you should be:
All parts are finished...back, sleeves, front.

We want to prepare for seaming now. Two tasks this week, one you might have already done, and one you might choose not to do :-)

task one: weave in all those $%@!%*&^$@#!% ENDS

task two: Block your pieces

You might have already weaved in your ends. If you have, you can skip task 1!
Some knitters like to block before seaming, others like to block afterwards. If you're going to wait until afterward, skip task 2!

If you're skipping both tasks, you have a FREE week off, courtesy of Hildie :-) If not, GET TO WORK!! We only have ONE MONTH left!!!!!

Jan in CA
02-26-2006, 08:39 PM
I'm actually going to make it! I'm on the second arm and it should only take 2-3 days and then a few ends to weave in (I did most of them as I went along) and then I'll be DONE! It fits perfectly and I cannot wait to wear it and show it off! I'm so proud of myself! :roflhard: :shock: :cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Yay Jan!!!

Jan in CA
02-28-2006, 03:22 AM
IT'S DONE, IT'S DONE, IT'S DONE!! I can't believe I did it! :happydance:

No one around to take a pic this morning and I couldn't wait so I did the lovely mirror trick. :roflhard: You can see that it fits pretty darn well though even if the pic is bad!

silveridger
02-28-2006, 07:05 PM
Jan, congratulations!!!! It looks beautimus, perfect with jeans too. And it fits! Very nice job.

Now, what are you making next? :roflhard:

Jan in CA
02-28-2006, 07:52 PM
Jan, congratulations!!!! It looks beautimus, perfect with jeans too. And it fits! Very nice job.

Now, what are you making next? :roflhard:

Thanks...and I have no idea! I'll probably just do small stuff, hats and such till the next sweater thing comes up. ;)

wyoknitter
02-28-2006, 09:15 PM
I finshed my sweater tonight....well, the pieces parts that is :D I was so far behind I didn't think I could catch up but I did ! Now for the blocking and seaming !

Jan ...your sweater is gorgeous !

Jillle
03-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Jan-Fantastic job on your sweater!! It looks like it fits you great. Yeah to another sweater! :cheering:

nicolethegeek
03-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Well I haven't done anything to my Skacel pinwheel sweater since the start of the KO. I had hoped to have it finished in time for the cast-on ceremonies, but didn't quite make it. I have seams left to do, and a round of sl st or sc around the bottom to make it look more "finished". It's what I'm bringing to my SnB tonight as my brainless project to work on, so hopefully I'll have most of my seams done by the time I get home.

HeatherHunter
03-02-2006, 08:03 AM
Everyone's sweaters look so great! :cheering:

I got the neck shaping finished on my sitcom chic sweater. I tried it on and realized I'd lost enough weight that I could've made it a size smaller. But it's off the needles (for now) and that's a big deal for me to not get sidetracked in the middle of a project. Now all I need to do is the edging and button. My "No Idle Hands" meets tonight and I'll bring it with me to do there. I wonder if I can get it finished tonight??

Congratulations everyone! I can't wait to see more pictures of finished projects! They look wonderful!

Heather

foldedbird
03-03-2006, 08:24 AM
WTG, Jan! It's lovely. Amazing mirror trick!!! I'm in AWE of you. he he.

earthchick
03-04-2006, 09:04 AM
Jan, your sweater looks AWESOME! WTG!!! :thumbsup:

Well, I haven't worked on my KAL sweater since January 15th. :shock: I put it aside to do dh's anniversary sweater (finally finished), my KO socks, and three presents for other people. Now I'm working on socks for my dad's bday in 2 weeks. But after that, I swear I'm getting back on track with my KAL sweater. All that's left is the front, both sleeves, and the seaming! ;)

wyoknitter
03-04-2006, 03:09 PM
My sweater is done ! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

I really don't like doing the finish seaming. I am going to knit Pure and Simple #221 short sleeve cardigan next....and it doesn't have any seaming !! Yah !!!

HeatherHunter
03-05-2006, 06:34 PM
I finally finished my sweater and it looks like cr*p!!! I put it on and now I have a big hole where for some reason stitches are dropping like crazy! I don't know what I did, or how to fix it. Even after steaming it, my bands roll...not too mention that it just hangs on me because I've lost weight and am not the largest size anymore.

I guess I'm not cut out for this KAL. I better stick with scarves and socks and such.

All that money spent on yarn....all that time wasted!!!

Thanks for letting me vent.

Jan in CA
03-05-2006, 10:10 PM
I want April to be here so I can start the tank top! ~said in whiney voice~ I"m trying to stash bust while I'm waiting and it's so boring! I wish I knew how much yarn I'll need or what pattern or book or whatever to get so I could at least swatch or something. :?? :roflhard:

WynnieG
03-08-2006, 05:13 PM
My Donna sweater is done!

I'm not 100% pleased with the fit... it feels short. I knit to the pattern, and what I ought to have done was added a few more inches of stockinette before shaping the armscyes, so that it would sit on my hips and not hit my waist. It rides up like anything if I raise my arms! :oops:

Oh well, at least it looks good on the couch, and if I lose a few pounds it might not 'ride up with wear' *quite* so much.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-08-2006, 11:58 PM
yay wynnie!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's FABuliscious! I love that color.

don't raise your arms. Hire a servant to do all of your arm-raising work for you. preferably a naked manservant :-)

WynnieG
03-10-2006, 06:54 PM
:roflhard: Hildie you're so very very bad! haha!

What's really sad is I have yarn enough leftover to prove I intended to knit a longer sweater. In fact, I probably have enough extra to knit the main of a shrug (might need bits here and there for stripes to make up the difference).

Now watch my 10, 11 balls of wine dk weight wool be not enough for my next project. :rollseyes:

knitqueen
03-10-2006, 11:52 PM
Wynnie, did you shorten the length of the sweater?? It suggests 16", I did about 14.5" instead, based on the measurements I took from a few of my other favorite shirts. I hope I don't regret skimping on the length.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Somehow I missed week 10 :oops: But I figured it didn't matter since so many people are done :cheering:

Week 11: Blocking

Some stuff you will/might need:
rust free t pins
a spray bottle
an iron (important--don't actually IRON your sweater--see the knitty link below for directions)
a tub or BIIIIIIG thing for water
lots of (clean) towels
a sweater drying rack
tape measure
blocking board (or something you can pin to, like a bed)
20 minutes

What you will use depends on how you will block your sweater, which depends on what fiber you used to knit it :-)

Basically, blocking is the last step in completing a garment. This is where you will make sure it's shape fits you. With blocking, you can fix a sleeve that is a little short or even out the hem line. Make sure you don't stretch anything you don't want stretched (like the ribbing, tubey ladies!) by accident! Here's what I did when blocking:

Fill up the tub with a few inches of tepid water
Dunk the garment in, let it soak up water for a minute or 2
Carefully pull it it out, taking care not to stretch it out of shape
Roll the it in the towels gently squeezing out excess water--DO NOT WRING!!!!!!!!!
Squish up anything that is too long, or gently tug anything that is too short.
Pin on a towel to your blocking board or the bed
Let dry and viola!!!!!!

Since my Tubey has a LOT of ribbing that I don't want to stretch out, I will probablly....
Pin the sweater to a blocking board or the bed
Spritz with water
Do minor shaping up (squishing, stretching)
Let dry and viola!

Please read THIS ARTICLE (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/FEATdiyknitter.html) from knitty for more specific directions.
It also details what you should do to block specific types of fiber, such as cotton or alpaca or novelty stuff (if you used those). Amy suggests this page for blocking techniques, in case you need more of an endorsement than just mine :-)

Happy blocking*! You're almost done!!!!!!

*As always, a naked manservent could make this happier

WynnieG
03-12-2006, 01:21 PM
I knit for 16", but really should have made it like 19", maybe even 20".

I'd take it apart and reknit but I spent so much time swearing at it the first time that I really don't think I want to go there. Besides, by the time I meet my next weight goal my chest measurement will have shrunk again, making the sweater appear longer when worn. :D

CateKnits
03-16-2006, 04:22 PM
I finished Tubey! Which is the sweater I STARTED for this KAL. :rollseyes: So I've done two in three months. :roflhard: I'll get a picture later. I still have to weave in the ends.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-20-2006, 11:18 PM
Okay! hopefully everyone is done their sweater! (i;'m not!)

Week 12: wear your sweater with PRIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And when people say "wow, I like your sweater!" nyou can say "Well, THANK you! I made it MYSELF!!!!!" and then act like it was *nothing* to throw together ;-)

Sweater #2--a summer tank-- will start the first week of April. I am going to recommend a cotton yarn, so if you're not sure what you want to use yet, now is a good time to start scopeing some yarn you like. Remember, this is a DESIGN your OWN, so nooooooo patterns! You're going to use MATH! Yippee!!!!!

CateKnits
03-21-2006, 12:19 AM
Is it cheating if I started the Spring one already? :blush: I'm designing it as I go, so it probably won't fit, anyway!
(Not that I have a problem with making two for this one, too. Maybe I could end the year with 8 sweaters!)

Jan in CA
03-21-2006, 12:43 AM
Okay! hopefully everyone is done their sweater! (i;'m not!)

Week 12: wear your sweater with PRIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And when people say "wow, I like your sweater!" nyou can say "Well, THANK you! I made it MYSELF!!!!!" and then act like it was *nothing* to throw together ;-)

I've been wearing it for weeks! I love it!

Sweater #2--a summer tank-- will start the first week of April. I am going to recommend a cotton yarn, so if you're not sure what you want to use yet, now is a good time to start scopeing some yarn you like. Remember, this is a DESIGN your OWN, so nooooooo patterns! You're going to use MATH! Yippee!!!!!

:shock: :shock: Math? Are you kidding? Cotton? Any kind? I REALLY want to start swatching or something! Can you tell us anything? Pretty please!

silveridger
03-21-2006, 01:24 PM
OK, so if we're scoping out cotton yarn we like and find some, how about some numbers so we can get it while it's still available? Every time I find yarn I like and go back later to buy it, it's gone :doh: . I don't mind setting it aside until April, but I'd rather not be scrambling to buy yarn during that first week, IYKWIM.

That's me, compulsive as always.

jhelanee
03-21-2006, 01:42 PM
I like the idea of giving us some (rough) yarn-purchasing guidelines now so we can start bargin-hunting. ;)

Also, I was wondering if we could start a new thread for the second sweater. (Make things easier to follow if we don't have "finishing up sweater 1" and "planning for sweater two" posts mixed together.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-21-2006, 11:15 PM
I'm glad everyone is so excited! :cheering:

I will start a new thread for the next sweater! It will be easier to navigate, i think. Thanks for the suggestion!

Yarn amounts, yarn amounts.... I wasn't sure how to tackle this problem. I was going to suggest that you go to a yarn store, pick out 1 ball of a yarn you like, knit a swatch to determine gauge, then go back and buy more yarn after you determine how much you need. But, that leads to problems, biggest of all the store not having enough of the yarn you need, OR not of the same dyelots, and having to wait for orders yadda yadda..... Here's what I'd suggest instead:

Look at some patterns for tanks in your size. LOOK AT does not mean FOLLOW :-) Look at several patterns (knittingpatterncentral (www.knittingpatterncentral.com) is a good place to start for free patterns, and Knitty (www.knitty.com) has lots of tanks) and get a ballpark figure of how many yards you need. If it doesn't outright tell you that you need X number of yards, you can determine this by multiplying the number of balls of yard by their yardage (for instance, if it says you need 11 balls of yarn, and the yarn is 100 yards in a ball, you need 1100 yards of yarn). Then, buy that same number of yards in whatever yarn youwant to use. Look at SEVERAL patterns and get an average--it's usually better to over estimate, too, because you don't want to run out.

The XRX books "the knit stitch" "the purl stitch" and "color" AND the Knitters magazine that the patterns come from ALL have yardage amounts. If you don't own these books, scope them at your LYS, library, or borrow from a knitty friend :-)

You can also ask your LYS owner if they will A) let you return unused balls and/or B) hold a few extra balls in that dye lot for you in case you run out. My LYS is very accomodating in that respect.

I got a ball each of knitpicks cotton yarns (not the crayon though, blech), and I'm going to order one more of all their NEW yarns ASAFP, and then knit a swatch for all of them, and decide which one I like best, THEN order whatever amount of yarn I need. (this is the long draw out Hildie is anal retentive way of doing things) Your LYS might allow you to swatch a few of their cotton yarns before you decide what to buy. Just ask!

I was going to have a couple "rules" for this KAL, like you have to do some kind of bottom edge border, you need to use more than one color, some kind of texturized stitch pattern.... but I'm not sure if that will go over. Any of those things might effect how much yarn you need to buy, soooooo if anyone is opposed to THOSE specific things let me know now and I'll nix them. Or maybe I'll just make them suggestions instead of "rules" :-) I don't want to seem overbearing..... :twisted:

yes cate you are cheating! :fingerwag: that's okay though... maybe you should be in charge! ;-) You don't have enough to do, right? Actually, though, that will be good, because this will be my first "design as you go" too (that i will finish anyway), and you'll be able to tell us what we're doing wrong :lol:

When the new thread is started, I'll (try to) merge everying from THIS thread that is relevant to THAT thread...

OH, and it doesn't HAVE to be cotton. If you find something esle that you like (a ribbon yarn might be neat) use it! I'm going with cotton because it's cool for summer time and washable. If youwant to make a wool summer tank top :shock: go ahead... we won't want to be near you while you're wearing it, but hey, it's YOUR tank!

FINALLY, if you do use cotton, make sure it "works" with your needles... you might need to buy some aluminum needles if youdont' like how it feels with bamboo or casein or plastic or whatever you usually knit with.... If you're using cotton for this KAL and you haven't before, I would knit a bunch of swatches--it doesn't have to necessarily be with the exact yarn you're using for the tank (but for real practicing, it should be! either buy extra, or plan on unravelling), so you get used to how it feels and knits up. Cotton is kinf of unforgiving... shows all those little bumps and booboos and changes in gauge, so practicing is good!

CateKnits
03-21-2006, 11:59 PM
Bah, I was afraid I was cheating. :( No worries, I'll just have two summer tops at the end of three months. :oo:

Jan in CA
03-22-2006, 12:40 AM
Okay, thanks, Hildie! I am taking MIL to Joann's Superstore tomorrow so I'll see what they have and if I like anything I'll get a few balls. I realize if they don't have what I end up liking I'll :wall: , but... what the hey. :roflhard: I'm not fond of cotton so I'll see about a blend maybe...

I also think it would be nice to have a border/edge. :thinking:

Tammy6071
03-22-2006, 08:04 AM
Okay, so I'd really like to join the next KAL, but kinda nervous. Havent been knitting for too long and never knit a sweater before. And the designing your own makes me really nervous, is this too ambitious a project for me???? :thinking: :?? :??

Jan in CA
03-22-2006, 12:51 PM
Tammy, if you can do socks, you can do a sweater! I started knitting in October and had my first sweater done by the end of February!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-22-2006, 06:25 PM
No way, tammy, you can TOTALLY do this. Knit, purl, increase/decrease, adding new yarn, and binding off are the only things you need to know how to do. And the designing will be a CINCH... basically, you're just going to pick a lower edging, a stitch pattern, and a neckline. Easy-peasy.

Tammy6071
03-22-2006, 09:23 PM
Okay then, Im definitely doing this!! Yahoo! Im excited! Thanks for the reassurance guys. and Jan, I cant believe youve only been doing this since October, Ive seen some of your projects and they are gorgeous!

WynnieG
03-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Question: does adding a lace panel or cable panel increase the amount of yarn you should have on hand? I mean, does lace or cable knitting use up more yarn than say, stockinette over the course of a sweater? I can't tell from my stupid little gauges.

jhelanee
03-23-2006, 05:46 PM
Not sure about lace, but I am almost postive that cables will increase your yarn usage.

Hey Hilde- I want to put some side shaping and bust darts into my summer project. Am I going to get in trouble for that? I hope not since that is the only way I will end up with something that fits and I will actually wear. :pray:

WynnieG
03-23-2006, 06:00 PM
I like where jhelanee is going in terms of design. That's two that would love the answer to that question.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-23-2006, 08:18 PM
No way! Of course not! That's the point of designing--so you can tailor it to what fits you!

I' *don't* know how to add darts, though.... I've only done bust shaping with shortrows (and then subsequently frogged because the whole thing was too big anyway).... :thinking: hopefully someone else will be able to help in that area.

cables WILL increase the amount of yarn you use... and cables also make a thicker (warmer) fabric; that's why it's used in all those Irish fisherman sweaters.

I'm not a lace afficianado..... KK? Ingy?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-23-2006, 08:18 PM
No way! Of course not! That's the point of designing--so you can tailor it to what fits you!

I' *don't* know how to add darts, though.... I've only done bust shaping with shortrows (and then subsequently frogged because the whole thing was too big anyway).... :thinking: hopefully someone else will be able to help in that area.

cables WILL increase the amount of yarn you use... and cables also make a thicker (warmer) fabric; that's why it's used in all those Irish fisherman sweaters.

I'm not a lace afficianado..... Part of me wants to say lace will use less than average because of the holes.....:?? KK? Ingy?

Jan in CA
03-23-2006, 08:37 PM
Jan, I cant believe youve only been doing this since October, Ive seen some of your projects and they are gorgeous!

:oops: Thanks so much! :heart:

jhelanee
03-23-2006, 09:09 PM
The horizontal "darts" that I know how to do are short rows! Having learned the technique in a class I recently took at my LYS I am anxious to use them, but will probably be doing some knit-frog repeats myself to get them the correct place, depth and cup size. But since I am thinking of doing this with a ribbon yarn at a large gauge the main body will go quickly and I will have plenty of time to work out the bust section. ;)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-23-2006, 10:12 PM
i'm *always* trying to work out my bust section! :roflhard:

I think I remember reading something about shortrow placement in one of my bajillion knitting books; the problem will be finding it.... :thinking:

WynnieG
03-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Doesn't Knitty cover placement in their article on how to do short row shaping? I thought it did. :??