PDA

View Full Version : Pattern Design Question

DotMom61
12-28-2005, 11:31 AM
I just recently picked up a back issue of Interweave Knits -- Spring 2004 -- and I saw the Waving Lace socks and loved the lace pattern. I've also had 4 balls of Karaoke Mermaid here for some time, and they keep asking me to turn them into a scarf. Well, what better pattern to use for a yarn called Mermaid than Waving Lace! So, I've started designing a scarf pattern that is knit in the round using this lace pattern.

So, here's my question: Can I publish this pattern as "mine" even though I sorta stole the lace pattern from someone else's pattern? :help:

Ingrid
12-28-2005, 11:43 AM
Personally, I wouldn't think so, since there are so many stitch pattern directories, etc, out there. And who's to say you didn't think of it, too?

Here (http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall03/FEATcopyright.html) is an article from Knitty that talks about copyrights.

DotMom61
12-28-2005, 12:11 PM
Ingrid! Happy New Year! :-D

I just took a look @ the Knitty article, and it's still not clear, but only because I'm not sure if the lace pattern used in the socks is a "traditional" lace pattern or an Elizabeth Clark original. I've searched a few online stitch libraries and have yet to find it.

I wonder if I'd be covering my bases if I gave credit to E. Clark re: the lace pattern, and I wouldn't necessarily have to use her chart for the pattern, either. Because I'm adding a border and a slipped stitch "seam" on the scarf, I'm writing out everything in text anyway.

Also, I don't think posting the lace pattern as part of the scarf pattern would be an infringement on her sock pattern because it's not giving away the sock pattern; however, I do understand that original lace designs deserve just as much consideration as the garment pattern.

:?? I guess I need to go and think about what to do. Heck ... maybe the scarf won't turn out right, anyway. (But I hope not!)

nicolethegeek
12-28-2005, 03:54 PM
From a designers standpoint, I would contact the original designer. Find out whether or not the lace itself was an original creation or from a different source, and then go from there. It is difficult if not impossible to "copyright" a particular stitch pattern or method. The creativity {and copyright} tends to go with the way you assemble all these different parts into a pattern/finished item. For example, I can't copyright a granny square, but I can copyright a tote bag I designed using granny squares for the construction of it. Clear as mud?

PurlyQ
12-31-2005, 05:08 PM
I just recently picked up a back issue of Interweave Knits -- Spring 2004 -- and I saw the Waving Lace socks and loved the lace pattern. I've also had 4 balls of Karaoke Mermaid here for some time, and they keep asking me to turn them into a scarf. Well, what better pattern to use for a yarn called Mermaid than Waving Lace! So, I've started designing a scarf pattern that is knit in the round using this lace pattern.

So, here's my question: Can I publish this pattern as "mine" even though I sorta stole the lace pattern from someone else's pattern? :help:

I don't see why you can't. (Double negative, no?) How can a stitch be copyrighted? Their "pattern" is socks; yours is a scarf.

DotMom61
12-31-2005, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I'll continue to research this just to make sure I don't step on anyone's toes. I guess the way I feel about it is that if I had designed a certain lace pattern, I would appreciate being given credit for it even if it was used in a completely different type of garment.

Off to celebrate the new year!! Cheers, everyone!

gardenmommy
12-31-2005, 06:33 PM
Can you google the name of that particular stitch/lace design and see if it is used anywhere else, or otherwise "public domain"?

DotMom61
01-02-2006, 02:32 AM
Good idea, Kristen ... I tried some limited searching and didn't come up w/ anything. I keep thinking I'll run across the pattern sometime with a different name, but so far, nothin'.