PDA

View Full Version : Recently got the

glucose101
12-31-2005, 03:35 AM
I recently purchased the Vogueknitting Knit. 1 Magazine. Anyways, I saw something that I liked (number 16, Man's zippered pullover). It calls for 16 skeins of Edwardian and 2 skeins of Granite of Homespun (by Lion Brand); 6oz/170g skeins, 185 yards.167 m (acrylic/polyester); size 10 needles. My dilemma is that I don't have the money to purchase 18 skeins at 6 dollars/skein. Any alternatives that won't mess me up (I'm a beginner). Thanks! :)

trucker945
12-31-2005, 04:11 AM
I haunt the thrift stores like Goodwill and Salvation Army. Last month I hauled out 20 POUNDS of yarns including 11 skeins of wool in the wrappers and same dye lot, 13 skeins of matched angora, as well as dye lot matched skeins of acrylics and cottons. Filled the back seat of the car.
Total cost was $14 plus tax. My stash runneth over... :happydance:
If you decide to give it a shot, don't be afraid to grab all of a dye lot you can find in the bin, and then ask the store manager if there is more in the back. They want to sell it, and you want to buy it. They may even allow you in the back to search for yourself (although it is against policy, if you're there often enough and they get to know you, it could happen).
You might also find some real deals on needles, crochet hooks, patterns, books, etc.
And don't forget to take notice of when those 50% off sales days are, usually once a month - every month! :thumbsup:

glucose101
12-31-2005, 05:13 AM
So no like alternative types of yarn I could purchase from like Walmart (less $$$)?

trucker945
12-31-2005, 08:14 AM
A store clerk may be able to help you choose, but don't be afraid to try a different color, or brand. As long as the "weight" of the yarn is the same, and your sample swatch knits up in the same gauge, you should do just fine.
When I mention "weight" here, it doesn't mean ounces or grams... it refers to the diameter of the yarn. A 'bulky' weight yarn is much thicker than a 'fingering' or 'sport' weight yarn.
Take your information about the type of yarn you need to the store with you, it can save you a lot of grief.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

glucose101
12-31-2005, 01:30 PM
Thank you so much! This is my first "big" project (well at first they were socks, but I gave up :lol: ) :thumbsup: Ok, I'm going to see later if I can go to the store... :) How bad would it be if I just got any old yarn in it's place (like the cheapest....lol)?

knitncook
12-31-2005, 02:38 PM
Depending on your relationship with your LYS you may be able to "purchase as needed" your yarn. My mom used to work in a LYS and they would hold yarn for large projects for people that they could buy a ball/skein or two at a time. It made it easier for those of us with less pocket change to work on larger projects and not have to dump $100 at one time into yarn. They would just bag it up and put your name on it. The only condition was that you had to purchase it at cost (no sales or discounts) and it had to be what was in stock. I think they also had a time limit like 3 or 4 months before it was restocked. If they special ordered something for you, you had to pay for it all up front. So you might want ask your LYS if s/he has a similar policy.

glucose101
12-31-2005, 03:10 PM
18 skeins seems like A LOT of yarn. Is Walmart a good place for cheap, good yarn? :shock: I know that is the dumbest question...but I'd like to make a sweater that won't cost me.

nicolethegeek
12-31-2005, 09:26 PM
I work at a Canadian Wal-Mart, and I can tell you that you probably won't be satisfied about going there to find a sub for the Homespun. 18 balls DOES seem like a lot. I'm doing a sweater coat out of the first Knit.1 and it only takes 7 balls of Homespun. I would watch Michael's for when the Homespun goes on sale. That's when I picked up the yarn for my sweater. The only thing I can think of that's a suitable sub for the Homespun would be Bernat Boucle, and I don't think that it's *that* much cheaper... I'd have to check the yardage on a ball, and if I'm not mistaken, the boucle is a bit thinner than the homespun anyway. A friend of mine in Cambridge just ordered a tons of homespun from the states... I think it was JoAnns that had it on sale at a ridiculously low price.

Just a couple of frost-bitten Canadian ideas :thumbsup:

Racerkatie
01-01-2006, 02:28 PM
Wow. I never even thought of Salvation Army or Goodwill having yarn.

Jeremy
01-01-2006, 03:39 PM
If you're not in a great hurry, I would suggest checking out the sales on the online websites. You can get some very nice yarns for about half the price of what you want to spend, many times really nice yarns are on sale. Knit pix listed here is one and so is knitwerx. Ingrid, Lisa, Amy and I recently went to Webs which has an online site. There are quite a number of them. There are also sites that will tell you what kind of yarn it is you are looking for. They key element here is gauge: how many stitches per inch or over a given length. This will give you a very good idea of whether you are in the neighborhood. Sometimes the pocketbook won't allow it but I would encourage you to shop around and get the best you can afford. For one thing, the cheaper yarns won't feel as good as the more expensive ones or look as good. Considering the amount of effort you're going to put into the sweater, I would consider "deconstructing" a sweater found at Goodwill rather than buying acrylic. Good luck. :thumbsup:

glucose101
01-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Thanks all! I guess I'll try looking for some at JoAnns (I forgot about that!). 18 skeins still seems like A LOT of yarn....lol

Ellen Edwards
01-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Honey--while you're looking on-liine--and it usually doesn't take that long to get what you order--don't forget to look at elann.com, littleknits.com, Herrschnerrs.com and MaryMaxim.com. I'm sure I've left out a lot--but these folks are always having sales and you'd be surprised how much things seem to be at WalMart here!! I find it hard to go there and pay $4+ for Red Heart when I can go to KnitPicks.com and get 100% wool for $1.79 a skein. That is the Wool of the Andes, and it felts wonderfully. Checking around at different yarns, you'll start looking at the weight of the yarn, like trucker said--and be able to determine how to substitute for another yarn that's not so expensive. Good luck on your search--which sometimes is more fun than FINDING!!