PDA

View Full Version : Tell me this is possible...

knitqueen
12-31-2005, 10:21 PM
I am ALMOST finished Sitcom Chic from Knitty and I've decided that I hate the ribbing at the bottom of the sweater. It pulls it in way too much and I'd rather do seed stitch. So what I want to do is re-knit the bottom 3 inches or so. I've inserted a needle in my destination row and thought that rather than trying to unravel my cast on edge, I'd just cut it off and unravel from there. It's not working easily and I hope that I haven't made a BIG mistake. I'm thinking that I maybe didn't cut the cast off all the way off yet, I cut a really narrow strip off the bottom, it still seems knotted and difficult to undo. Please tell me this is possible.

Ingrid
12-31-2005, 10:25 PM
It's definitely possible. I think after you cut off the cast on, you're going to have the tops of those stitches still wrapped up in the row above, right? You might have little pieces to pull out, maybe. If you've already cut it--no choice but to see it through, right! Let us know how it works out.

knitqueen
12-31-2005, 11:03 PM
Thanks Ingrid! I thought I'd done this before but when it wasn't working out very well this time I began to wonder. I will keep plugging away at it! :thumbsup:

ella
01-01-2006, 12:03 PM
I've never tried this myself, but there's a description of how to remake the bottom of a sweater on DIY, it shows how to add a contrasting color, but I don't see why it couldn't be used to redo the bottom in the same color/yarn:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_3180638,00.html

HTH, Good luck!

knitqueen
01-01-2006, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the link! That's pretty much what I've done. And Ingrid, thanks for the reassurance! :D

When I inserted a needle in the destination row, I had 165 stitches as I was supposed to have, but once I unravelled the bottom couple inches and started knitting again, I lost 1 stitch somewhere. I have no idea what happened to it, I do not see a dropped stitch anywhere and absolutely NOTHING seems to be coming unravelled so I think it just got trapped safely in there somewhere. Oh well, no harm no foul, I'm just doing seed stitch anyways. It's working out great and I'm so glad I decided to change it. I don't think I could have lived with the ribbing on this one.

On a slightly different note....I've now been knitting for about 11 months and I totally notice my confidence level is so much better than at first. I'm able to FIX my mistakes and even go back and adjust things that I don't like and change them after the fact. THAT makes me excited!!!!!! :happydance:

knitqueen
01-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Oh, and now that I know what I'm doing I'm going to go and change the sleeves too. They're not 3/4-ish length enough for me. A bit too long, so I'm going to rip some out and do the seed stitch border there too.

Ingrid
01-01-2006, 10:31 PM
She is knitter, hear her ROAR!! :cheering: