PDA

View Full Version : endless summer 100% cotton

knitbebe
01-03-2006, 03:28 PM
I am looking for yarn for my 1st sweater! It took me a week to find the perfect sweater (Raglan sweater in "last minute gifts")

I decided to go with a cotton, or cotton blend so that I could wear my sweater at least during the winter ;) (in live in the south).

**Has anyone used any of the endless summer collection from elann (I'm guessing this is their brand).??

Just hoping to get some feedback before ordering.

**I'm also looking at ebay for Debbie Bliss, or Rowan cotton. I've ordered some yarn from ebay, and my expereinces were not good :( --so, I'm sticking to brands I know and yarns that are labeled. Any advice for ordering from ebay would be appreciated.

thanks,
knitbebe

Ingrid
01-03-2006, 04:06 PM
I've got some of the Endless Summer Lara. It's a dk weight, has a bit of a sheen to it. I tried using it for a shawl and loved the way it felt, but in that case it didn't have enough stitch definition. I will definitely use it in the future, for something else, though.

Mer
01-03-2006, 04:48 PM
I've used it--I think they have a few different weights of that, if I'm remembering correctly. I liked it, as Ingrid said it had a nice sheen. The only thing is that it's not stretchy at all (as is the case with all 100% cottons) and a little splitty. A cotton blend might have a bit more stretch. But it's a great deal!

Which is the raglan sweater in LMKG? I just started the hourglass from that book in Debbie Bliss Cathay, because I don't have a need for heavy sweaters either. :D

knitbebe
01-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Mer, My plan is to knit the hourglass sweater. I also looked at the raglan sweater in "AlterKnits". The gauge was much smaller --maybe 4 or something as miniscule as that! eeks! I did like the velvet ribbon used at the neckline and sleeve. I figure if my neckline and sleeve edges are not perfect I'll use ribbon as well. ;)

I'm going to look for the yarn you mentioned on ebay.

Cotton is a little unforgiving for a 1st sweater!! A cotton blend would be a better choice--but, yes the price can't be beat.

Thanks,
knitbebe

Mer
01-03-2006, 11:36 PM
You might want to look through this knit-along, if you haven't already, to see what some other people have used for the hourglass sweater. Most are wool, but there might be some others that may work for you. I noticed Rowan Handknit DK cotton, Debbie Bliss Cotton Angora, and others.

http://hourglass-knit-a-long.blogspot.com/

Ingrid
01-03-2006, 11:47 PM
www.herrschners.com has a Debbie Bliss cotton wool on very good sale in their weekly sales.

knitbebe
01-04-2006, 01:50 AM
Ingrid, Yipee!! I found my yarn. $2.97 for Debbie Bliss, wool/cotton blend!!

Thank so much for the link! :inlove:

And Mer!! I would never have found the hourglass blog site. A perfect place to get help, and or inspiration to get through my first sweater!

I can't wait to start knitting my very sweater!! :XX:

:thumbsup: You ladies are awesome!
knitbebe

Mer
01-04-2006, 09:24 AM
You're welcome! :D

Ingrid
01-04-2006, 03:41 PM
:cheering: :cheering: I'm glad somebody bought it. I was so tempted!