PDA

View Full Version : I Make Knitting Needles

trucker945
01-04-2006, 08:11 AM
I think I may have been forced into this by so many requests for my handi-works, so, here goes...
I make wooden and bamboo knitting needles as a hobby, not as a business. I am willing to trade for; yarn to build my stash, knitting notions and gadgets, knitting books, make me an offer. If you request a specific size, I will need to know if it is US or metric. If you have a design in mind, let me know... pix and/or drawings help. I use my own hand-made Straight and Double-Point needles to knit with, and I know what is required by a knitter to make them pleasing to work with the very first time they are used. If you are not happy with my creations, I will gladly return whatever it was you traded me for them.
My LYS buys them outright, and then I buy their yarn in the same visit. (Keeps their books right with the tax-man)
P.S.- I will not make a wood or bamboo needle smaller than a US#3, because they are too fragile and bring nothing but sadness when they so easily break... so don't ask me to disappoint you.
P.S.S.- remember I stated "make me an offer"; if you offer cash I will consider it a donation to my family support, with a moral obligation to send you a 'gift' in return of requested creations of mine.
Thank You

WynnieG
01-04-2006, 03:31 PM
What is the current exchange rate for Stash? How many skeins/needle, and do Lux yarns count for more?

trucker945
01-05-2006, 04:14 AM
I really don't have a clue about an 'exchange rate', I am open to offers. If you feel that something I have is worth something you have (but don't want anymore), let me know. I am particularly interested in sock yarn because I like to make socks. My mom is allergic to wool, so I knit her stuff with angora. Since I recently taught my brother and 4 of his daughters to knit, my stash gets raided every time they visit, so color is not an issue.
Certainly a more expensive item is worth more in a trade... I wouldn't expect to get an island in exchange for glass beads. :D
So, let me know what you want, and what you are willing to offer for it.

Indygirl
01-08-2006, 06:07 PM
I think I may have been forced into this by so many requests for my handi-works, so, here goes...
I make wooden and bamboo knitting needles as a hobby, not as a business. I am willing to trade for; yarn to build my stash, knitting notions and gadgets, knitting books, make me an offer. If you request a specific size, I will need to know if it is US or metric. If you have a design in mind, let me know... pix and/or drawings help. I use my own hand-made Straight and Double-Point needles to knit with, and I know what is required by a knitter to make them pleasing to work with the very first time they are used. If you are not happy with my creations, I will gladly return whatever it was you traded me for them.
My LYS buys them outright, and then I buy their yarn in the same visit. (Keeps their books right with the tax-man)
P.S.- I will not make a wood or bamboo needle smaller than a US#3, because they are too fragile and bring nothing but sadness when they so easily break... so don't ask me to disappoint you.
P.S.S.- remember I stated "make me an offer"; if you offer cash I will consider it a donation to my family support, with a moral obligation to send you a 'gift' in return of requested creations of mine.
Thank You Trucker, Where did you get the containers you have in your pic. Your work looks great.

trucker945
01-09-2006, 03:39 AM
grams,
those containers are actually M&M's candy pocket packs from the grocery store... kinda 'handy recycled swiped from the kids' things. They eat the candy, (well, they ain't the only ones) and I get the containers. Besides, until they get emptied, they make great no-mess snacks in my knitting-pack... gotta love that chocolate.
:happydance:
KNIT ON !! :thumbsup:

miss_jms
01-09-2006, 06:19 AM
Those containers look like POG containers. Remember POGS?? Oh my gosh, I can't believe I did! I was pretty young when they were the "it" thing. :roflhard:

jodstr2
01-10-2006, 02:40 PM
PM on its way to ya, trucker... I'm interested in DPNs.

Arugula
01-17-2006, 10:25 AM
do you ever make crochet hooks? I was thinking of trying out Tunisian crochet but I want a long hook (about the length of a knitting needle) with a cap on the end so my stitches don't fall off if I make something big. Any luck in getting one of those?

trucker945
01-19-2006, 03:07 AM
Julie,
Tunisian crochet and Tunisian knitting are actually a form of large lace loop knotting. Both can be performed rather easily by using the end of a broom handle.
Sorry to say, neither of these require any special tools. A 25 mm diameter tool is so similar to a 25.5 mm is to a 1 inch... as in a US#15 knitting needle it is hardly worth a mention. A half of a millimeter, is not even a sixteenth of an inch.
So, here is my question to you... Do you want to spend $20 for a piece of a broom-handle, or would you rather make a bunch of those size 15 knitting needles out of your old broom?
Did I happen to mention that I am one cheap bastard?

Arugula
01-24-2006, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the pm, I totally missed this for some reason! I was looking at this site (http://www.nexstitch.com/Tutorials.html) and the hook definitely looks a lot smaller than a broom handle. Your thoughts?[/url]