PDA

View Full Version : Graffiti knitting

Mer
01-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Ok, Houston folks are crazy. I actually saw this in real life on my lunch break today: article here (http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/2005-12-15/news/news.html)

kayeknit
01-04-2006, 03:00 PM
Wierd stuff...
What exactly did you see?

humblestumble
01-04-2006, 03:12 PM
thats so cool! what DID you see :shock:

Pixywhispers
01-04-2006, 03:25 PM
<giggle> Look at the link to the blog! The picture of the "dog" is hilarious.

The location says it all "Montrose." I love visiting there.

Candace

WynnieG
01-04-2006, 03:29 PM
Gives me an idea for Boston... that statue of Michael Curley could use a hat for the winter... :roflhard:

Mer
01-04-2006, 03:30 PM
I saw a, um, lightpost cozy. Bright pink. On a bridge over the freeway. :D

Candace, I work in the Montrose neighborhood. Are you in Houston too?

Pixywhispers
01-04-2006, 03:51 PM
Candace, I work in the Montrose neighborhood. Are you in Houston too?

I wish! heh. I live in Victoria. But shop in Houston, and use Drs there, and my family is all there. So I visit at least once a month. I go to "Yarns 2 Ewe", its the only shop Ive been to in Houston. Where do you go?

Candace

brendajos
01-04-2006, 04:24 PM
i think it is brilliant! Imagine being a store owner coming in to find that someone has knitted a cozy for their door handle over night...heh

i suppose we are the only ones who would find this in the spirit of "random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty" huh?

kemp
01-04-2006, 06:37 PM
That's so fun! Thanks for sharing, Mer :)

Mer
01-04-2006, 06:57 PM
I was just glad that I had read the article and knew what it was! I was driving and probably would have missed it if I hadn't known what I was looking at. I wonder if it's still there? :thinking: Do people take those things? I wonder what you'd do with it?

Candace, I have been to Yarns 2 Ewe most--I think they have the best selection in Houston. Nancy's Knits (Braeswood and Chimney Rock, I think?) has a lot but her shop is kind of crowded and dark. Pretty good prices though. I've also been to Mary Charles Yarn (http://www.marycharlesyarn.com) (where I was coming back from when I saw the lightpole!) and Nimblefingers, which have moderate amounts of yarn, mostly pricey ones. Now I just need to venture out to the yarn stores in the suburbs...

punkhippiemom
01-04-2006, 10:42 PM
:roflhard:
awesome. just awesome...

mintdee
01-04-2006, 11:39 PM
That is such a neat idea! And I love there tagging names :roflhard:

feministmama
01-05-2006, 12:34 AM
I think the idea of this is fantastic but I'm uncomfortable with the whole "gang lexicon." Especially the reference to "N**** please." Here in Portland, folks put hats on statues and decorate theri cars and all kinds of funky stuff. Never thought of knitting my own anntena cozies. Great way to get rid of swatches. I'm going to be looking at my neighborhood doorhandles and signposts with a whole new eye :thumbsup:

Mer
01-05-2006, 12:54 AM
It was still there when I left work today, and I saw another on a street sign. I'll have to keep my eyes open!

Feministmama, that's a good point...I missed most of that. :doh:

Pixywhispers
01-06-2006, 08:09 PM
Candace, I have been to Yarns 2 Ewe most--I think they have the best selection in Houston. Nancy's Knits (Braeswood and Chimney Rock, I think?) has a lot but her shop is kind of crowded and dark. Pretty good prices though. I've also been to Mary Charles Yarn (http://www.marycharlesyarn.com) (where I was coming back from when I saw the lightpole!) and Nimblefingers, which have moderate amounts of yarn, mostly pricey ones. Now I just need to venture out to the yarn stores in the suburbs...

Thanks for the heads up Mer. Me and some girlfriends are "goin to the city" next weekend. Dh is going to chauffer us and we may be tryin out a new yarn shop. I love going to Austin, "Hill Country Weavers" have you been there? Are any of the shops in Houston like it?

Candace

Mer
01-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the heads up Mer. Me and some girlfriends are "goin to the city" next weekend. Dh is going to chauffer us and we may be tryin out a new yarn shop. I love going to Austin, "Hill Country Weavers" have you been there? Are any of the shops in Houston like it?

Candace

No, I haven't been to Hill Country Weavers yet. I've heard good things about it though--I'll have to go sometime! Have fun at the yarn shops next weekend! :D