PDA

View Full Version : A-Line skirt KAL

misstialouise
01-05-2006, 11:18 PM
How exciting, I'm posting a KAL....

After some discussion in our lovely chat room, the desire for a knitted A-Line skirt arose.

So, starting in February, we are going to knit an A-Line skirt. There is no 'official' pattern. You can find one on the 'net, buy one, or make it up as you go! If you find a great pattern that you think must be shared with the world (and it's on the 'net), then please post a link!

It can be lacey with lining, fully knit with no 'see through' bits, or a mix of both!

We're encouraging a tubular cast on so you can put elastic in your waistband (leave a vertical button hole for the purpose), but certainly not demanding one.

The reason we're posting so early is so that you have time to form your 'plan of attack', find a pattern, yarn etc.

Try and post pics weekly so we can see how everyone is going..

HOW EXCITING!!!

mailgirl
01-05-2006, 11:22 PM
I will try it...
:thinking:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-05-2006, 11:44 PM
yay! Good luck!

misstialouise
01-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Okay, We're at T-3 weeks!

I am going to stash-bust for this skirt, I have some lovely cotton/silk/rayon blend in an olive that I'm going to use, although I don't think I'll have quite enough.. I can't readily get my hands on it any more though, so I'm going to have to colour blend I think, which will be the.. well.. 'interesting' part.. :D

Who else is joining in?

Arugula
01-11-2006, 11:58 AM
I will! Anyone have any resource ideas? I'm fairly new to knitting, but not too shabby, if I do say so myself. I've made two sweaters already so I think the increases and decreases shouldn't be too hard. Any recommendations for how often you should increase/decrease to get a nice A-line without too much or too little?

misstialouise
01-11-2006, 03:32 PM
I think it's dependant on how you're built. :D

try the knittingpatterncentral.com page.

misstialouise
01-24-2006, 01:34 AM
Umm.. is anyone joining in?

ecuzzacrea
01-25-2006, 05:29 PM
hmmm...i'm thinking about joining. i think i'll go look for a pattern now. :thumbsup:

ecuzzacrea
01-25-2006, 05:37 PM
i :heart: this pattern.

i need to see if i can find some affordable yarn to knit it up with. :D

ecuzzacrea
01-25-2006, 05:49 PM
i think i'm talking to myself here, but i'm pretty sure i have something at home to use. that would make my night.

i'll have to check after work.

misstialouise
01-25-2006, 06:03 PM
What pattern are you looking at?

ecuzzacrea
01-25-2006, 07:03 PM
DUHHHHHH! :doh:

http://www.interweave.com/knit/interweave_knits/pdf_files/FlirtySkirty.pdf

misstialouise
01-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Oooh! Cute :D

volmel
01-26-2006, 12:30 AM
Cute skirt! Do you think this would work for Cascade 220? I've already got enough to do this.

Mel

aprildavis99
01-26-2006, 01:59 AM
I think I would like to try this. I don't have a pattern in mind. I think I will just try to wing it. I think I will make is only slightly a-line and quite long. I love long ankle length skirts. Now I do have one question about elastic. Do I cut it the exact length of my waist or do I cut it a bit shorter so it will have to stretch to fit? As you can see, I've never used elastic or done any sewing before. :??

Jenelle
01-26-2006, 02:08 AM
Ohhh thats a BEAUTIFUL skirt that you will be knitting!! :inlove:

I might join... I have no good yarn though... right now I'm trying to stash bust and nothing seems to be working :rollseyes:

Arugula
01-26-2006, 11:25 AM
I'm joining in, I'm giong to wing it too, we'll see how good I am at making a pattern :D

volmel
01-27-2006, 12:46 PM
I soooooooooo have to make that flirty skirt. I'm making the Tempting sweater right not, but am almost through, then I'm going to make the Flirty Skirt in dark green Cascade. It might be too hot to wear it by the time I finish it, but I can have it ready by next winter. Or if I knit really, really fast, I might be through by next month and can wear it a little. I need to use all these hanks of cascade and this seems the perfect project.

Mel

misstialouise
01-27-2006, 04:30 PM
I think I would like to try this. I don't have a pattern in mind. I think I will just try to wing it. I think I will make is only slightly a-line and quite long. I love long ankle length skirts. Now I do have one question about elastic. Do I cut it the exact length of my waist or do I cut it a bit shorter so it will have to stretch to fit? As you can see, I've never used elastic or done any sewing before. :??

At rest, the elastic should br firm, but not stretched around your waist/hips..

aprildavis99
01-28-2006, 03:25 AM
Thanks Tia.

volmel
01-28-2006, 10:12 AM
I started my Flirty Skirty! I'm so excited. It's a deep emerald green.

Mel

aprildavis99
01-28-2006, 11:37 PM
:happydance: Emerald sounds beautiful :heart:

Jilly
02-01-2006, 06:54 PM
I will try it.......there is a pattern in Vogue knitting from this winter. THe only thing is when I took my waist measurement the pattern doesn't go big enough for me! :(
If it turns out well enought I think I'll take it to a tailor for the zipper installation.

Jill

misstialouise
02-01-2006, 10:45 PM
So, let's have a show of hands..

Who's in and who's doing what?

Im in (obviously), and I'm making it up as I go, in the round, top down with a viscose/silk blend in an olive green :D

ecuzzacrea
02-01-2006, 10:52 PM
i'm going to try and start this week!

i still have to check and see if the yarn i have will work =)

volmel
02-02-2006, 01:02 PM
I'm doing the flirty skirt in emerald green. I'm almost done! I'm working on the pleats as we speak. I think it is going to be pretty. I will model it when I'm done.

Mel

ecuzzacrea
02-02-2006, 07:08 PM
I'm doing the flirty skirt in emerald green. I'm almost done! I'm working on the pleats as we speak. I think it is going to be pretty. I will model it when I'm done.

Mel

how's the pattern going??

i'm not a very experienced knitter so i just wanted to get a feel for how it's going?

TIA!

volmel
02-02-2006, 10:37 PM
It's an easy pattern. I would say you wouldn't have a bit of trouble knitting it!

Mel

volmel
02-03-2006, 12:47 PM
I'm done with the flirty skirt and it's blocked. I'm wearing it today, but there is one problem with it. It's the waist. The skirt is knit all one size down to the pleats. Which means it is very big in the waist. You make belt loops and run a belt through them, but it makes it bunch and it still works it way down below the belt and gapes open. So I think I'm going to pick up the stitches around the waist and knit upward and start decreasing to make it taper into a waist. That is the only problem I have with the pattern. It is a very elegant skirt and looks really professional.

Mel

Jilly
02-03-2006, 03:49 PM
I can't wait to see your flirty skirt........please post a picture!

Jilly
02-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Got my yarn today to start the skirt........I got Celebrity by Artful yarns. I want to be able to wear it this spring. I'm going to make the a-line skirt from www.straw.com a free knitting pattern. It is knit in two pieces, then sewn up the sides with an elastic waste.

ecuzzacrea
02-03-2006, 07:58 PM
Glad to hear that it looks good!

Is there anything you'd do right off the bat if you were going to knit it again for the waist?
I ask because I'm not really experienced and I don't want to make it if it's really big in the waist - i'll have no clue how to make it smaller. :oops:

I'm done with the flirty skirt and it's blocked. I'm wearing it today, but there is one problem with it. It's the waist. The skirt is knit all one size down to the pleats. Which means it is very big in the waist. You make belt loops and run a belt through them, but it makes it bunch and it still works it way down below the belt and gapes open. So I think I'm going to pick up the stitches around the waist and knit upward and start decreasing to make it taper into a waist. That is the only problem I have with the pattern. It is a very elegant skirt and looks really professional.

Mel

volmel
02-04-2006, 04:23 PM
I promise to post a picture as soon as I get it revised. I picked up the stitches from the waist and started decreasing until it got to half the original stitches. Now I have to redo the beltloops and I'll be done. I'll post it then.

ecuzzacrea, I think I would start with half the stitches it calls for, say 75 (casting on LOOSELY so it will go over your head), then over the next few rows increase until you get to the 150 stitches then follow the pattern. Remember it will add length to the original so take that into consideration when knitting the length before you start on the pleats.

mel

misstialouise
02-08-2006, 06:51 PM
How are we all going girls?

I haven't cast on yet, this emergency shrug is the ONLY thing I'm knitting until the weekend, then the Knitting Olympics... THEN I'll get to my skirt.. LMAO!!!

I have the yarn ready, I have my needles..... I can't wait!!!