PDA

View Full Version : hat question

knitaholic
01-10-2006, 04:55 PM
I need to knit a hat for an 18 mo. old child--I have a favorite pattern, it's knit flat, but I would like to knit this in the round. My pattern states to cast on 68 sts--how many would I cast on for circular knitting? I do not know the circumference of the the child's head, but the pattern I have is Bev's Really Stretchy Hat (it's k2p2 throughout). I know I wouldn't need to cast on as many stitches, but I don't know how many. Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks,

Knitaholic :??

Ingrid
01-10-2006, 06:26 PM
You can convert the hat to circular without changing any numbers. Just knit it in the round.

knitaholic
01-10-2006, 06:56 PM
You can convert the hat to circular without changing any numbers. Just knit it in the round.

So, you don't have to allow for the seam allowance? It won't be too big?

Just wondering,

Knitaholic

Ingrid
01-10-2006, 07:48 PM
According to a chart I just looked at, a toddler's head is 16 inches on average. Size depends so much on the yarn and needles that you're using. If a 68 stitch hat fits a child on straights, a stretchy hat like this will fit, too. Two stitches for seam allowance won't make a difference. Since it's k2p2, you'd have to subtract 4 stitches at a time to keep the ribbing even if you want to make it smaller.

knitaholic
01-10-2006, 07:54 PM
According to a chart I just looked at, a toddler's head is 16 inches on average. Size depends so much on the yarn and needles that you're using. If a 68 stitch hat fits a child on straights, a stretchy hat like this will fit, too. Two stitches for seam allowance won't make a difference. Since it's k2p2, you'd have to subtract 4 stitches at a time to keep the ribbing even if you want to make it smaller.

The pattern calls for worsted weight yarn knitted on size 8 needles. I wonder if using a size 7 needle would make much of a difference.

Just wondering--

Knitaholic

Ingrid
01-10-2006, 08:03 PM
Here's (http://www.p2designs.com/pdfs/ptn-BasicBeanie.pdf) a ribbed hat I found that comes in all sizes. The smaller sizes are knit in dk yarn, but take more stitches. You can use it as a guide.

knitaholic
01-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Here's (http://www.p2designs.com/pdfs/ptn-BasicBeanie.pdf) a ribbed hat I found that comes in all sizes. The smaller sizes are knit in dk yarn, but take more stitches. You can use it as a guide.

Thanks so much for the info--I think I'll make the one from this site and use the toddler size using a different weight yarn.

Knitaholic :thumbsup:

jhelanee
01-10-2006, 08:17 PM
The pattern calls for worsted weight yarn knitted on size 8 needles. I wonder if using a size 7 needle would make much of a difference.

Either of those would probably be fine. You could even go down to a 6 if you want. As Ingrid mentioned, the rib pattern you are using is very stretchy, so an exact fit is not critical in this case - and making it a little big now gives plenty of room to grow. :D Whatever needle size you choose I suggest using the 68 sts since that is divisible by four and the decreases at the top of the hat are written for that # of stitches. Also remember that when knitting a hat in the round you will need to switch to double pointed needles sometime during the decreasing b/c the stitches won't fit around a circular anymore. Good luck!