PDA

View Full Version : OT: Dont you hate migraines?

melissa.atkins
01-11-2006, 04:52 PM
I have had migraines since monday! I really dont like it! It has put my knitting on hold and I havent been out of the house since then... :(

This morning I decided I would go out and distract myself... but I think I waited for too long... it is here now :crying:

Lisa1216
01-11-2006, 05:01 PM
:( I also hate them. I have been getting migraines since I was 11 yo, although the intensity of them now are not like they used to be. I used to have to be in a dark quiet room (the pillow even hurt my head) and they lasted 12-14 hours. Now I get them about once a week, but if I get some Excedrine Migraine in me as soon as I feel it start, I can usually stay vertical and trudge through the day. I'm thankful though that I don't get them for days at a time like you have. Sorry you hurt~hope they ease up soon for you.

Vendie
01-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Ugh I hate migraines, I get them all the time. I've been getting them regularly since I was about 3 or 4 years old. I too can usually head them off with some Excedrin if I can catch them early enough. I think I actually need to go back to my doctor to get a scrip for something else - I take Midrin if they get bad enough, but that zonks me out and so I have to save it for home use. Kinda sucks since I get them most often while I'm still at work. I like my job, but not enough to sleep here!

Hope you feel better soon!

melissa.atkins
01-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Thank you Lisa... my first migraine crisis was when I was 14, it was horrible, I was nauseus and couldnt listen to anything... I had to stay in bed for two days, my dad(who is a neurologyst) had to put me to sleep so I could rest.

I have been taking Excedrin for them since I moved to USA(I cant get the ones I used to take before), but it seems that they dont work anymore...

I might still go out today just to see if it helps...

melissa.atkins
01-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Ugh I hate migraines, I get them all the time. I've been getting them regularly since I was about 3 or 4 years old. I too can usually head them off with some Excedrin if I can catch them early enough. I think I actually need to go back to my doctor to get a scrip for something else - I take Midrin if they get bad enough, but that zonks me out and so I have to save it for home use. Kinda sucks since I get them most often while I'm still at work. I like my job, but not enough to sleep here!
Hope you feel better soon!

Thank you Frida!!(My youngest sister's name is Frida too)

3 or 4?? That hurts!!! I have seen my nephew who is 9 now have them since he was 5, it is so painful to see him suffer...

Vendie
01-11-2006, 05:24 PM
(my cat's name is Frida, I'm just Wendie)

What sucks the most about getting them that young is generally doctors can't do a whole lot, as most of the medications aren't approved for pediatric use. At least that was the case when I was little. They couldn't do a darn thing for me except for make sure I didn't have a tumor. They put me on Zoloft when I was in highschool, which I hated, it made me so agitated and I could never sleep well. And I still got the migraines :rollseyes:

melissa.atkins
01-11-2006, 09:51 PM
I went out!! :) It definitely helped... I went shopping... got a couple of purses(70% off) and a very cute cami... although I had to stop every once in a while to rest a lil, I feel a lot better now...

melissa.atkins
01-11-2006, 09:52 PM
(my cat's name is Frida, I'm just Wendie)

What sucks the most about getting them that young is generally doctors can't do a whole lot, as most of the medications aren't approved for pediatric use. At least that was the case when I was little. They couldn't do a darn thing for me except for make sure I didn't have a tumor. They put me on Zoloft when I was in highschool, which I hated, it made me so agitated and I could never sleep well. And I still got the migraines :rollseyes:

I am sorry you suffered this so long Wendie... my dad treats my nephew with regular pain pills, of course in a smaller dose.

It is amaizing how simple things can start a migraine crisis...

Sara
01-11-2006, 10:07 PM
I get migraines, too. They really suck. The Excedrin has been a godsend, even though it doesn't always work. It always starts with pain on the left side of my neck, so I have a really good indicator of an impending migraine. DD has them, too.

Emeraldcutie
01-11-2006, 10:28 PM
I used to have migranes on a weekly basis, I found out it was my eating habits. To many carbs at certain times, then too much protien. I went to a dietician (sp?). I now eat a balanced diet, and have been migrane free for 3 months now (not to mention the weight loss benefits). For those that suffer I got a perscription for something called Amerge, Abslolutely amazing. It doesn't leave you rendered useless for a long time. About an hour and your back to the world again. Also a tip from my dietician was to drink more water, sometimes your body gets headaches/migraines from dehydration. I drink about 2.5 litres of water a day on average. I never realized that I would knit for a couple of hours and not even have a drink.

Wishing Migraine free days to everyone. :thumbsup:

Ellen Edwards
01-11-2006, 11:09 PM
YES!! I hate migraines!!! Mine started when I was in my early 20's. Now I have Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, with another couple of quirky things to boot!! I have to go to a Pain Clinic an hour away for relief, but it has managed to curtail most of the headaches I have now too. Once, when my children were small, I had a headache that lasted for 18 days. It was a Migraine, but more of what is called a cluster headache. I thought it would never go away.

Jan in CA
01-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Bummer you have been hurting! I've never had them so I can't even imagine! Hope you feel better soon!

melissa.atkins
01-12-2006, 01:32 AM
OMG Trudy... 18 days!!!! That must have hurt a lot!!! I can hardly handle 2 or 3 days... but 18????

kimmie
01-12-2006, 07:36 AM
Yeppers, they are a huge bummer. I've been getting them since I was 13. Like Lisa mentioned, mine have also gotten better with age. I used to throw up and have to stay in bed on tons of meds. Now after I get the aura I just get a cracking horrid headache, suck it up and go on with my day. This repeats every day or every other day for a week and then I'm good for about a month.

Certain foods, stress, and lack of sleep are huge triggers for me.

kimmie