PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Sweater Machine

ItsBecca
01-13-2006, 12:57 PM
Does anyone here actually own this, or would consider buying it? Would you even fool with it if you had it? Supposedly you can make a sweater or afghan in 2 evenings. They're about $150 at Michael's, also you can buy a row counter seperately for about $30, and they also have an Intarsia keyplate available for about $30.

CarmenIbanez
01-13-2006, 01:44 PM
I have one. I actually love it. But don't confuse it with hand knitting. I use my machine to do large stockinette stitch pieces. I have made dog sweaters, and I have made pillow covers and so on. Here is what the "Sweater Machine" cannot do: purl. In order to do ribbing, you have to stockinette stitch and then manually let out a vertical row (i.e. drop stitch) and then manually purl it. You cannot do combination stitches. Now there are machines out there that will do it all. Ribbing, specialty stitches. There are even machine where you program in the whole pattern and it knits it for you. But those machines cost thousands.

bubba
01-13-2006, 04:46 PM
I have a fancy schmancy knitting machine that I bought about 12 years ago, long before I learned to knit. I never really was able to grasp it because I think in order to use one of those properly and to be able to correct your errors, you need to first know how to knit by hand. Maybe one of these years it will come back out, but for now it will remain tucked in the closet.

pat.

Emeraldcutie
01-13-2006, 09:06 PM
I demo those machines for Bond America, I got my first when I was 10 (21years ago). I recently got the newest one from bond, it is really handy for long peices of plain knitting (scarfs etc) you can do losts of fancy stitches also. There are a ton of pattern sites. Its also nice cause you can use pretty much any yarn on it. A regular machine can knit up to an adults large sweater (give or take).
I learned machine knitting first, then learned handknitting when I wanted to combine the two.
If you decide to get one let me know, I have all the videos and a huge colletion of free patterns.

Laura

Silver
01-13-2006, 09:34 PM
I have one. I've used it about 3 times. I DO NOT enjoy it like I enjoy hand knitting. It's apples and oranges IMHO.

meg
01-15-2006, 02:55 PM
pillow covers! that makes so much sense. i used mine once, and debated on selling it, but pillow covers..... hmmmmm that is a great idea!

CarmenIbanez
01-16-2006, 01:22 PM
I know, huh? Every once in a while I think of something really useful to do with mine! :-)

I don't want to make it sound like I don't like the thing. Because I do. It just isn't as versatile as I had hoped when I bought it. BUT I learned a lot about stitch construction by using it.

Jan in CA
01-16-2006, 01:38 PM
I think I'd feel like I was cheating if I used one! :roflhard:

MrTea
01-19-2006, 04:20 PM
I have one.

The only thing it's really good for is large patches of stockinette. Stockinette is superfast once you get the hang of it (which can take a while). You can do ribbing, cables, shaping, etc. But knitting slows down to a crawl when doing anything besides stockinette.

Stockinette doesn’t lend itself very well to afghans, so forget that idea. Also, to do anything much larger than a hat or a child's sweater, you will have to buy extension kits.

It comes with different needle plates for different size yarns, so it's pretty versatile in that way. Good for a beginner who wants to see immediate results. Great for quick hats!

I don't think the row counter would be all that helpful. If you do decide to buy the machine, wait on the row counter. Also, it's quite a bit less expensive to purchase the bond machine over the internet, rather than paying Michael's inflated prices.

And as for Jan's comment: It's not cheating, Jan. Trust me, you can make mistakes just as easily with the bond machine. As a matter of fact, it takes quite a bit of cursing to really get the hang of it.