PDA

View Full Version : English, Continental....how do you knit?

Angelia
01-16-2006, 05:21 PM
I'm just curious!

Cristy
01-16-2006, 05:24 PM
Go Continental! Woohoo!

Angelia
01-16-2006, 05:25 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard:

I'm with ya!

Jax3303
01-16-2006, 05:28 PM
I learned how to knit english, and that's what I mostly do. I've read and watched video's on knitting continental, mentally I know how to do it, but my fingers haven't 'clicked' with it yet.

Ingrid
01-16-2006, 05:52 PM
English!

BonnieM
01-16-2006, 06:12 PM
English

Virtuella
01-16-2006, 06:16 PM
:thinking: I knit with needles and yarn... :thinking:

And Im Norwegian... maybe I knit....... eh.. Im not quite sure.

Conclusion: I knit! :doh:

Angelia
01-16-2006, 06:19 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

You could check Amy's videos if you're curious; if not, well, that's okay, too. All that matters is that you knit! :happydance:

Virtuella
01-16-2006, 06:27 PM

You could check Amy's videos if you're curious; if not, well, that's okay, too. All that matters is that you knit! :happydance:

Hi hi, I will tell you after watching the videos! And then I will vote! :thumbsup:

Virtuella
01-16-2006, 06:33 PM
:shock: OMG :shock:

I have never seen anybody knit english/american at all!!! :??

Im a continental/german knitter! But i dont have my left index finger that lifted... :shock:
My hands/fingers hold the knitting needle, the work and the yarn. :lol:

tab
01-16-2006, 06:47 PM
I knit English style. I can knit Continental too, but I'm still new enough at it that it's slower for me. I probably won't be getting any faster either, since it makes my wrists ache.

CateKnits
01-16-2006, 07:15 PM
I can't comprehend continental. :rollseyes:
English! Since Ingrid knits Englishly and she's the master, I feel less like I'm just "not there yet" and more like it's OKAY to do it this way forever. I'm not exactly slow or anything. :roflhard:

melissa.atkins
01-16-2006, 07:32 PM
I have always knitted english, however I have always wanted to learn how my mom knits, which isnt continental or english... it is just her way to do it...

She holds the right needle as if it was a pencil, she holds the yarn with her right hand too... but she does a forward move with her right hand and uses her index finger for wrapping the yarn, instead of holding both needles with her left hand and dropping the right needle. She knits sooo fast this way... but I cant make it work!! :??

Amber
01-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Continental!

Jenelle
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
I forced myself to learn continental last week, and I noticed a HUGE difference in tension. I like it.

earthchick
01-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Continental. Only I don't keep my index finger lifted. And when I purl I use my left thumb to pull the yarn down over the needle, which I think is just my weird idiosyncracy.

Ingrid
01-16-2006, 08:03 PM
When I was a teenager and took the el to school, there was an older Italian woman who used to knit like a speed demon--conti, of course. I was only on the train for 5 stops, so I never could quite get what she was doing. It looked all backwards to me. I'd go home and try it, but never could get it. I actually didn't know how until I watched the videos here. I'm not about to switch, though, but these posts reminded me of that woman. Maybe I should have just asked her. :rollseyes:

Angelia
01-16-2006, 08:09 PM
I started the poll because practically everyone on Knitty Gritty knits English, and it makes me feel like a weirdo! :D

Continental is soooo easy for me; I guess because I hold the yarn just like I do when I crochet. I'm getting the hang of English (I learned it to do fair isle), but I'm still really slow.

mintdee
01-16-2006, 09:16 PM
I learned English style and then switched to Conti. I am more comfortable knitting this way and my tension is better :D

You are not alone knitsta!

Bunnyblossom
01-16-2006, 09:27 PM
Continental - only because that's the video that downloaded first! lol!

Cristy
01-16-2006, 09:48 PM
I tried for 5 years to learn English and then I tried continental and got it on the first try--it just clicked for me (and they say English is easier to learn...I always knew my brain didn't work quite right...). I do believe that it's much faster but I don't subscribe to the idea that one is better than the other or that one way is right or wrong--I love that we can all enjoy our obsession thorugh differernt means....sniff sniff...

Anyway-as I said earlier--I knit Cont.

Joel
01-16-2006, 11:23 PM
I initially started learning English but switched to learning Continental when i found out it would be faster (after practice).

(I'm still waiting for the faster part to kick in... lol)

Ronda
01-16-2006, 11:39 PM
I learned English because that was what the book told me to do (the "learn to knit book"). I don't think it showed Continental. I would like to try Continental some day, but I'm taking things one step at a time. :)

newbieknit
01-17-2006, 01:47 AM
I was first a crochet fiend! So of course I knit continental since I'm used to holding my yarn in my left hand.
And because it's the correct way to knit!! lol :XX:

Andrea
01-17-2006, 01:53 AM
I'm semi Continental...but I don't wrap the yarn around any fingers...I wrap the yarn around the needle with my hand rahter than using the tip of the right needle to grab it and pull it through... :?? does that make sense??

CateKnits
01-17-2006, 01:53 AM
I wasn't aware there WAS a "correct" way to knit. :shock:

Darhain
01-17-2006, 04:20 AM
I tried for 5 years to learn English and then I tried continental and got it on the first try--it just clicked for me (and they say English is easier to learn...I always knew my brain didn't work quite right...).

Yeah, that. My MIL tried to teach me to knit several times, and I just couldn't get it. Turns out she knits English and that just doesn't click with me. I saw Amy demonstrate Continental in the videos and it was like a lightbulb going off over my head! :lol: I picked up the needles, cast on, and haven't looked back. Continental just makes more sense to me, for some reason.

dustinac
01-17-2006, 09:55 AM
First I started knitting the English way but it was weird and I hated that I would have to stop to throw lol so after a few wks I switched to Continental and it just clicked... I do hold my index finger up but I don't use my middle finger on Purling I use my left thumb too... My mom and grandmother knit English so they say its backwards for them to watch me.. and while knitting one day i heard "she knits wrong, someone should show her the correct way" "wonder why the teacher doesn't make her?" when they were corrected on how both ways were the right way they said well we will learn that way too then kinda snotty.. the next time I seen them "see we can do it too" :rofling: was like okkkkkk.... :shock:

Angelia
01-17-2006, 10:01 AM

Silliness!

I used my thumb to purl until I started getting the beginnings of a blister...the middle finger works much better for me.

Nomad
01-17-2006, 10:26 AM
I learnt to knit English method about 25 years ago if not more - taught by my mother. When I decided to take it up again recently I made the conscious decision to use Continental method as my RH gets enough work with the mouse all day at work, seemed a good idea to allow it to rest when I was supposedly relaxing! Plus I broke my left thumb last year & have the beginnings of arthritis so any exercise it gets is good.

My grandmother was the fastest knitter I've ever seen but for the life of me my memories aren't clear on how she knitted - I can see her face and the constant clacking of needles, but not the method. I know she didn't lift a hand off to wrap the yarn though & I always thought I didn't have it right because I needed to in English method. I'm much happier using Conti although my thumb aches

Haven't got the hang of purl yet though - how to push the yarn down without losing my grip on the left needle. Irritating as I used to actually prefer purling to knitting using English!

zara
01-17-2006, 10:34 AM
I knit & I'm English so that means I'm an Enlish Knitter.

Mer
01-17-2006, 11:32 AM
Continental. And when I purl I use my left thumb to pull the yarn down over the needle, which I think is just my weird idiosyncracy.

That's exactly what I do!

rebecca
01-17-2006, 11:39 AM
continental on most everything; often throw with dpns ;)

sfavereau
01-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Ok, I'm really weird... I'm left handed for most things, so my mom taught me to knit English left handed when I was really young. It was soooooooooo hard for me. I gave up and took up crocheting. I was quite the prolific crocheter as a kid, believe it or not. I did crochet left handed.

I picked up knitting last Oct. after not having touched knitting needles for at least 15 years. I didn't think about it and to my utter surprise, I was knitting almost perfectly RIGHT handed! I've to tried to learn conti, but my brain just doesn't want to make my left hand work properly, which is weird since I'm usually left handed. :rollseyes:

I just finished an Aran style fisherman sweater for my husband, but on my next project, I'm going to try again to learn conti. I have a scarf to make for myself and that's a perfect time to try it!

VictoriaE
01-19-2006, 05:04 PM
I'm a Continental knitter - I just learned how to knit this past month. being left handed and a new knitter, Continental is much easier for me

CarmenIbanez
01-19-2006, 05:15 PM
I'm semi Continental...but I don't wrap the yarn around any fingers...I wrap the yarn around the needle with my hand rahter than using the tip of the right needle to grab it and pull it through... :?? does that make sense??

Yay, me too! I thought I was the only one.

VictoriaE
01-19-2006, 05:17 PM

Yay, me too! I thought I was the only one.

I do that too :)

CarmenIbanez
01-19-2006, 05:17 PM
Haven't got the hang of purl yet though - how to push the yarn down without losing my grip on the left needle. Irritating as I used to actually prefer purling to knitting using English!

I hold the yarn in my left hand in front of the work, between my pointer finger and thumb. Then, I just move the yarn up, move the needle in my right hand under it and away I go!

DannahK
01-19-2006, 06:02 PM
I had some serious issues when trying to do English, so I went over to contenintal and it all just... clicked!

KathD
01-19-2006, 10:58 PM
My Mom taught me to knit English when I was a little girl. When i came back to knitting as an adult I tried Conti. from reading EZ, but I never could get used to her purling method. For quite a while I would conti. knit and English purl :rollseyes:
NOW thanks to Amy's great video, I've gone continental. At first it was very awkward, :doh: but, I hung in there and reminded myself that this is how my students feel when they are learning a new skill :lol:
I definately am knitting faster now
Yay, continental :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

flecker
01-20-2006, 09:25 AM
English.
Didn't know there was a different way, until I saw Amy's videos--the few people I know that knit all use English method. However, I'm thinking of tryng continental. I'm afraid that if I try a new method I may mess up the one I know which would be such a bummer since I've finally figured it out.

Angelia
01-20-2006, 09:27 AM
If you like English, stick with it! Knowing another can method come in handy for fair isle, or for when your wrists or fingers hurt; but if you're enjoying yourself, throw away! :thumbsup:

Jaxhil
01-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Continental!

I learned to knit from a book, and looking at the drawings, continental just looked easier to me-plus I was afraid to let go of the needles to wrap the yarn! I just knew my hard earned stitches would all come popping off if I ever let go for even an instant :lol:

amy
01-20-2006, 06:06 PM
Wow, this is fascinating! We have an unnusually high number of Continental knitters here! In America generally, the percentage is vastly in favor of English.

If you like English, stick with it! Knowing another can method come in handy for fair isle, or for when your wrists or fingers hurt; but if you're enjoying yourself, throw away! :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: Well said Angelia! It all boils down to what you ENJOY and are comfortable doing. There's no single "correct" way, I firmly believe folks should knit as they enjoy doing.

I don't know if I ever told this story here, but I was originally taught English knitting, and did that for years. But I didn't have a comfortable way of wrapping the yarn in my fingers; I learned that from a crochet video in my teens, and once I learned to wrap the yarn through my fingers for tension in my left hand for crocheting, I automatically did that when I went back to knitting. I didn't know there was a name for that method, I just switched automatically (I'm rather dexterous, so I didn't really think anything of it). So I just started knitting that way, and it wasn't until I put a video up demonstrating it (on my personal site years ago) that someone informed me that my method was called "Continental." I was like: "Oh, it's got a name?" :lol:

It all boils down to what's fun and comfortable, doesn't it? Hooray for comfortable, contented knitting, whatever method we use! :cheering:

Wild Lotus
01-21-2006, 10:31 AM
I have a lot of problems with my hands from being a massage therapist. I tried to do English but I just couldn't do it. Then I tried Continental and it just clicked. Not only that, but the movement actually seems to help my hands in a weird way.

My knitting tends to be very loose because I just can't grip things very tightly at all. I have to constantly change how I wrap the yarn around my fingers because some days I can hold on to it better than others. I wish someone would invent a tension ring or something I could wear on my hand to help me hold the yarn.

Angelia
01-21-2006, 03:27 PM
There is a sort of thing like that--Clover makes it. You wear it like a ring, of sorts, only at the end of the finger, and it has three or four bumps that you can run yarn between. It has a top that clicks shut to keep the yarn in. I think it's designed so that you can work three or four yarns at once, like for fair isle, but it might help keep the yarn steadier on your forefinger. A friend of mine bought on at Hobby Lobby.

I also have a tension problem with fuzzy wool yarn because it sort of sticks to itself; it really irritates me to knit with it because unless I have it pooled just right as it goes to my pinky, it forms little bunches and almost knots up. Then I have to stop knitting, untangle it, blah blah blah. I knit slowly for several reasons, but that's the primary one!

Barefootmama
01-21-2006, 03:48 PM
I knit continental. The book I learned from was teaching the English method and my fingers just couldn't catch on. I didn't even realize there was another way to do it ~ it just felt comfortable. Only after joining here did I learn that there was a name for that style. :)

scowling
01-21-2006, 10:23 PM
I knit conti style because it's about twice as fast for me. When I knit english it was painfully slow because every stich I'd have to rest one needle against my stomach to throw the yarn. I can't imagine why anyone prefers that style, personally.

zara
01-22-2006, 11:31 AM
I probably should have watched the videoes first before I voted English :doh: (although that's what I do). I'm going to watch Conti video now.

zara
01-22-2006, 11:37 AM
:thinking: O.k. That makes so much more sense. Will give that a go.
My knitting is quite fast considering I only learned in October but I'm sure that would be even faster.

Wild Lotus
01-22-2006, 10:14 PM
Thanks Angelina. I'm going to keep my eyes open for one of those.

PurlyGyrl
01-24-2006, 11:39 AM
I knit English but I wish I could teach myself to knit Continental. I've tried but its like patting your head and rubbing your tummy--just something that feels so foreign! :shock:

Angelia
01-24-2006, 12:03 PM
Have you tried using Amy's video for conti? It helps a lot!

And as with anything, it will become familiar with practice practice practice. I finally feel almost comfy with English; holding the yarn in my right hand isn't as comfy as I'd like it to be, but I'm working on it.

starlight
01-24-2006, 12:47 PM
I knit English style. That is the way I was taught. I've tried Continental, but it's too slow for me....when I have some time, I may try and do a scarf in Continental and see how it goes.

knitncook
01-24-2006, 06:00 PM
I do a combination. Sometimes I knit English and sometimes Continental. I would say that I mostly knit English, but somedays I switch back and forth and some days just Continental. It really confuses people :D

saracidaltendencies
01-25-2006, 01:30 AM
I voted English but I haven't been knitting for even a month yet...lol...That's just the first way I've learned...After watching Amy's videos though, it looks like I may prefer Continental knitting...Which I'll be trying tonight ;-)