PDA

View Full Version : what do you do?

ctine28
01-18-2006, 02:38 AM
i'm just curious what, if anything, people like to do while knitting. when and where is ur favorite place to knit? do you have any "weird" knitting habits?

my favorite thing to do is pop in one of my old VHS movies into the tiny t.v. in my bedroom and knit in bed, with my puppy chewing a bone next to me :)

CateKnits
01-18-2006, 03:02 AM
I watch tv, stalk this forum, and chat with my roommate while I knit. I've pretty much restricted myself to my chair in the living room, though, because I find if I take knitting into the bedroom, I'm less likely to make myself go to sleep. :rollseyes: I like to check for new posts or chat on AIM between rows or sections. :roflhard:
My roommate likes to knit while she plays The Sims. :shock: I'm impressed with this because I can't pay enough attention to the little buggers while I'm not trying to do something else!

jessi_9783
01-18-2006, 03:51 AM
I love to listen to audiobooks, podcasts, and music while I knit. I also like to surf the net. I don't usually watch TV while knitting because I like to "watch" TV. Besides, most of the stuff I watch, like Lost, requires you to pay attention.

margie
01-18-2006, 08:51 AM
I usually knit while watching TV, or during the day I'll knit at the kids naptime while I listen to the radio. I also go to a weekly knitting group at a local church- we sit in a lounge at the church, and chat and knit!

Ingrid
01-18-2006, 09:30 AM
I have one spot on the couch where I knit--everyone knows to move if I come into the room and grab my needles. I usually have the TV on for noise, but if I'm working on a complicated pattern that needs my visual attention, I often don't even know what the main character of the show looks like. :rollseyes: There was a time I rented foreign movies with subtitles. Not any more!

AKchick
01-18-2006, 09:34 AM
I usually knit in bed at night while dh is playing online poker after the kiddies have gone to bed. I have the tv on too but I am the same as Ingrid that if I am working on something more complicated I don't even know what is going on in the show.

hedgehog
01-18-2006, 09:41 AM
Hmm... Well, i'm not much of a tv-for-content watcher. In fact i don't like most tv and RARELY watch the normal channels (ABC, CBS, etc...)

Before i moved to the UK for years, i had NEVER seen Law and Order. Since i've moved back, i've finally started watching it - in reruns. It's become one of the very few things i can stand on tv, and since it's on ALL THE TIME on the cable channels i tend to knit and watch that at night.

Otherwise i'll pop a movie in - but i tend not to watch the tv, i basically just listen.

Oh and the couch is all MINE - i only share with my cats! (and my 18 yr. old cat gets first priority!)

-hh

brendajos
01-18-2006, 09:43 AM
the only time i make any real progress in work that i am doing is when i sit in a theatre watching a movie and knit away. i have blundered a few times but in general the patterns are simple enough that i can memorize and feel my way through the work without having to really be able to see it. if i were home during those two hours i would end up doing something else.

dustinac
01-18-2006, 09:44 AM
I usually knit during nap times and bed times unless the kids are content playing something else than lets make mommy run crazy :lol: I knit in the living room either in the couch although that makes my wrist hurt so then I'll move to the rocking chair... if its an easy piece I can watch tv while I knit if its one that requires me thinking then I just have it on for noise.. I like putting old movies in too and knitting... I also knit in the car... and sign up for classes at the LYS to get out amongst other knitters I start the block of the month class tomorrow for a year so I'm looking forward to that... :D

BonnieM
01-18-2006, 09:51 AM
I sit in the family room and listen to the TV. I've tried knitting in bed, but I fall asleep in mid row!

tab
01-18-2006, 09:58 AM
I knit most of my PoA scarf while watching my boyfriend play video games. I also like to listen to music while I sit and knit in my computer chair.

flecker
01-18-2006, 10:12 AM
I also knit while tv is on. Lately I've had two projects going. A simple one, hat or washcloth and a more complex blanket that way if my kids give me a few minutes to sit I can work on easier pattern and save tough one for after they're in bed.

Also, I almost never am without the kniting in the car--when my hubby is driving. We both like it that way. I can't pay as much attention to his driving then.

Sara
01-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Also, I almost never am without the kniting in the car--when my hubby is driving. We both like it that way. I can't pay as much attention to his driving then.
:rofling: I've always wished that I could knit in the car, so that it would take some of the edge off of watching DH drive.

I usually sit on the couch when I'm at home. I would like a new wing chair or something with lower arms and a straight back, I think it would be more comfortable. When I'm out, I knit wherever I can. Standing in line, sitting on the floor in a hallway waiting for class to start, wherever.

earthchick
01-18-2006, 10:29 AM
I get up early in the morning to knit while the house is quiet before everyone else is up. I also knit during the boys' nap. I don't do anything else during those times. At night, dh and I often put a DVD on after the boys are in bed, and I'll knit then. We don't otherwise TV (don't have cable or an antenna, just use the TV for DVDs) and I prefer not to be distracted from my knitting anyway.

I also take my knitting in the car (when I'm the passenger) and to certain meetings.

yarnpiggy
01-18-2006, 10:47 AM
I knit whenever, and wherever, I can: on the couch in front of the TV, at work during lunch hour, etc.

My favorite place though is my giant Papasan chair. I curl up in my little "nest" with pillows to support my back and arms and knit away. :lol:

DannahK
01-18-2006, 11:14 AM
I have 2 knitting places: My huge comfy chair in the living room with either music or the TV for noise on, or I knit in my office in front of the computer which is opened to KH because I am trying to learn something new.

witis1
01-18-2006, 11:59 AM
I love to knit in lecture... it's the only way to get through those vast acres of stockinette that make up the back of a sweater. I love my Denise needles for this - they are silent so I don't disturb other students, and I can drop the work in my lap if I should have to actually write down a note. Over the last semester I have finally learned to knit without looking, (for knit stitches only). Well, for two or three stitches and then I sneak a peek. Then I save the complicated parts for riding in the car or cuddling with Sweet Fiance while he programs, or catching up on my news podcasts.

I only wish I had some public transportation available - I want to KIP!

-w

Lisa1216
01-18-2006, 12:03 PM
I just bought a big comfy recliner with low arms that I love to sit in and knit. The cushions are connected to the arms, so if I drop a needle, I don't have to dig under the chair to find it. I usually knit at night with the TV or music on. If it is a weekend night, a glass of Amarretto on ice next to me :D

nicolethegeek
01-18-2006, 12:04 PM
I do the majority of my knitting and crocheting right here in front of the pooter. I don't have a printer hooked up, so if the pattern I'm using is online, I need to be here, or going back and forth. Same thing goes when I'm designing, so that I can make notes in my pattern. I will work on the couch sometimes, but that's usually with a printed pattern I have bought or one I have memorized.

jodstr2
01-18-2006, 01:02 PM
I usually sit on the same spot on the couch to knit. once in a while if there's something I want to watch on TV and the livingroom TV is occupied, I'll sit cross-legged on the bed and knit in front of the bedroom TV, but that makes my back hurt.
I'd like to get an Ott-Lite to put next to the couch.

Danielle
01-18-2006, 01:03 PM
I usually listen to my ipod while I sit in the recliner and knit beside of the fire!

jhelanee
01-18-2006, 01:20 PM
Most of my knitting is done on my couch at home. The TV is frequently on to sports or one of DH and my favorite shows that I can mostly listen to (things I actually need to watch and pay attention to I can't knit through). Sometimes I will put on Classical music if DH isn't around or doesn't have the TV on. I also knit during lunch with a group at work and occasionally on the bus home.

CarmenIbanez
01-18-2006, 01:58 PM
[quote="yarnpiggy"]I knit whenever, and wherever, I can: on the couch in front of the TV, at work during lunch hour, etc.

Me too! I usually knit in front of the TV at home, but I knit during my prep time and at lunch during work too!

Pixywhispers
01-18-2006, 02:13 PM
AH! HAHAHAHA DH and I just went out to look for a diningroom table (casual) and I kept thinking, "Would I want to knit in this chair if I was stuck at the table or if I invited my knitting budies over." But dont tell Dh what I was thinking.

Candace

PurlyGyrl
01-18-2006, 02:22 PM
I have my own special chair and ottoman--it has been declared MY CHAIR and everyone knows NOT to sit in it. Just in case, I have surrounded it with my work basket and yarn stash--kinda like traffic cones. :lol: Even my dog knows its MY CHAIR--she only gets to sit on the ottoman (usually partially draped across my legs) while I knit. So she naps and I knit--heavenly. :D

Mer
01-18-2006, 02:37 PM
I usually knit in the bedroom listening to the radio while DH watches TV (I don't really like TV shows much), and on the weekends while watching NFL or college basketball!

ctine28
01-18-2006, 04:29 PM
so many great ways to knit!

i've often thought of knitting in between classes...but i like to people watch, so i don't think i'd get anything done...

after reading some of your responses, i'm thinking i should keep projects in different places...i get annoyed trying to transport them...

and somehow i never even thought of listening to my ipod while i knit!

Indygirl
01-18-2006, 05:01 PM
I have a glider rocker in my living room. I have all my things I'm working on at the time next to it. I have one of those daylight lamps in back of it. I'm like some of you I more or less listen to the T.V. just for the company.

WynnieG
01-18-2006, 06:11 PM
I tend to knit on my couch. Like Sara, I would love a wing chair for better support etc. So far those I've tried had arms that were too high - probably great if you're reading, but highly irritating for one who knits/crochets/embroiders.

As for background noise, I tend to knit best when listening to music, because with tv I'm too tempted to flip channels, and there's only so many times I can have the A&E version of "Pride and Prejudice" on the DVD before even I get sick of it. The LOTR trilogy would be great to knit to, if I didn't keep watching the screen instead of my knitting. Those fight sequences keep throwing off my tension! :lol:

Music I tend to listen to while knitting: a lot of new age, american traditional and celtic music. It relaxes me and I find my projects flying off the needles.

Lately my favorites have been a trio of albums done by William Coulter and Barry Phillips: Simple Gifts, Tree of Life, and Music on the Mountain. These are wonderful collections, all instrumental arrangements of Shaker music. Since some early Shaker hymn lyrics were attached to popular secular tunes of the time, they really show the rich legacy of their era.

Other artists I enjoy listening to are Heather Dale, Loreena McKennitt, and Andreas Vollenweider.

Anne
01-18-2006, 06:43 PM
My favorite place to knit is outside on the swing. Since it is winter here in Michigan that is impossible.

I like to knit at Borders in the Cafe with a hot cup of coffee sitting on the table. I have met so many wonderful people there. Often times people see me knitting and will ask what i am making.

At home i sit on the couch listening to the TV or have the radio on. I like so many others on KH can not knit and watch TV. I have tried and make to many mistakes.

Doll Face
01-18-2006, 07:07 PM
I usually knit on the couch while the TV is on. I'll knit in the car while my fiance drives if it's a long trip, or in bed if I'm really into a pattern and can't quit.

Tanya

brightspot
01-18-2006, 07:27 PM
My favorite place to knit in the spring and summer (I would freeze my tail off out there right now) is the porch swing. We never had a porch before and I love it. In the house I sit in my computer chair since I am short and that is the only chair that "fits" me. I used to love knitting in the car while dh drove since we live a ways from town, but my seat mover thing is breaking and we don't have the money to fix it, so dh has been having me drive so that if it breaks I can still reach the pedal. I can't wait till teenager can drive so I can go back to knitting :(

I used to knit with the tv or radio on for background noise, but since my parents moved in it seems that my house is very loud. Now I just turn everything off and knit in the peace and quiet.

Darhain
01-18-2006, 11:59 PM
When I'm knitting at home, I sit in the same spot on the couch in front of the picture window. It also happens to be the end that has a lamp right next to it, so I can see if I'm knitting at night. I like a lot of light.

Other than that, I carry my knitting with me and try to work it in, but with two small children, that is often not possible. I do, however, take the kids to the community center play room (like a McD's Playland -- lots of tunnels and slides and ball pits and mats and such) and knit while they play. I figure they can't do too much damage there if I'm not watching them both like a hawk every single minute. :)

Lady M
01-19-2006, 12:34 AM
At night in our den, my DH and I have matching recliner rockers and we sit side by side together. He watches TV and I listen to what ever he has on and I knit until we go to bed. During the day I sit there and listen to the FOX news channel until knitty gritty comes on and then I go back to fox news.
I am also up and down doing laundry or making dinner, but that recliner is my Knitting Central. When I knit I am there and I love to rock while I knit one and purl two........ :thumbsup:

Anne

trucker945
01-19-2006, 03:39 AM
I knit whenever and wherever I feel like it. Sometimes I knit while waiting for the doctor, sometimes while in the vehicle, sometimes while waiting for a download from the internet. If I'm knitting a cabling pattern, I have to put it down while I have company, because I have found that a serious pattern requires attention. Otherwise, I knit what I want when I want.

mailgirl
01-19-2006, 08:37 AM
I usually sitin the living room with my husband and watch TV. The other knit we watched Hotel Rwanda...I am glad I had to look at my knitting instead of the movie at times :( .
Sometimes I sit in my mailtruck and knit during my lunch break or one of my ten minute breaks!

I am starting a sweater soon so I don't think I will knit that in my truck!

njknitter
01-19-2006, 08:51 AM
I grab some time to knit while waiting to pick up the kids from various after-school activities. If I drop them off and drive home, I generally have to turn around again within a few minutes to go back and get them, so it makes more sense to run an errand or two and then knit in the car while waiting for them.

At home, I'm on the couch, feet up, listening to TV.

feministmama
01-19-2006, 11:52 AM
On the bus, in line at the post office, at the library, at work, waiting for my son in his dance class, on the playground waiting for my son to get out of school, walking down the street (people gawk when I do this), in the LYS, ona plane, in my bed watching TV, during a lecture, while surfing the web, and my favorite place on a long slow train to somewhere