PDA

View Full Version : Updated...Two Socks Down, NONE to go!

KellyK
01-18-2006, 09:08 AM
I finished my FIRST SOCK last night!

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/austermann_step_sock3.jpg

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/austermann_step_sock2.jpg

I SWEAR it took me longer to knit this ONE sock than it does to knit a whole PAIR of cloggies! :rollseyes: I dont think Ill make any more socks on SIZE 1 needles....

I used Austermann Step (http://www.carodanfarm.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product2428.html) sock yarn (color #1 on link). It has aloe & jojoba in it so as not to allow the wool to dry out your fingers whilst knitting. SOOOOOO soft! Now, if they only made a DK wt version!

I used THIS PATTERN (http://www.knittingnow.com/patterns/ssockspat.asp). I think Ill look for a differnt one next time....I dont think I like the pointy toe on this one.

BonnieM
01-18-2006, 09:30 AM
That is awesome :happydance:

Lisa1216
01-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Very nice! :thumbsup: You did a great job, I love all the colors!

Danielle
01-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Great job!! :thumbsup: How did you like working with that yarn?

dustinac
01-18-2006, 10:12 AM
:thumbsup: Great job!!! It looks great :cheering:

KellyK
01-18-2006, 10:28 AM
Thanks, everybody!!

I liked the IDEA of this yarn.....its REALLY soft, as I mentioned above, with the aloe & jojoba infusion....but, I dont think Ill make any more socks with sz 1 needles.

foothills
01-18-2006, 10:35 AM
Kelly...You are just so talented...great job...did you just follow the pattern or did you also use Silver's sock class tutorial? The socks are...in your words...GAWGEOUS...I imagine working with size 1 needles can be quite tedious ;) :thumbsup:

Joyce

Darhain
01-18-2006, 10:36 AM
That looks great, Kelly! :cheering:

I am trying to find an easy sock pattern for a beginner with size 3 meedles, because I don't think I can handle needles smaller than a 3 yet. Those size 1 needles would make me totally loco!

Jouf
01-18-2006, 11:03 AM
It looks wonderful! I think the toe looks great too. Actually I kind of like a pointier toe. I like the fact they don't look JUST like store bought.

Why is that about it taking so long? Me too. I think part of it is cause I get sick of going in short circles and keep putting it down!

margie
01-18-2006, 11:29 AM
:cheering: It looks great, Kelly!! I did my first pair on size 3's- I'd still be working on them if I'd attempted 1's!! :thumbsup:

gardenmommy
01-18-2006, 11:52 AM
Well ain't that purty! Get that other sock done quick before you develop SSS!

No wonder it's taking me so long to do my first sock on 2s, 1s would drive me batty!

VickiIL
01-18-2006, 11:55 AM
I :heart: those socks!!!! Very nice job! I also :heart: that yarn! How many yards in a ball? Do you need 1 ball or 2 for a pair?

Ronda
01-18-2006, 12:30 PM
I think it's great, but then I'm not surprised coming from you! All your work is beautiful!

Jenelle
01-18-2006, 12:42 PM
Awesome job KellyK!!! :thumbsup: :cheering:

ebrperk
01-18-2006, 01:18 PM
Kelly those socks are great. I am even impressed that you shaved your legs for us too. I really like that yarn.

Robin

KellyK
01-18-2006, 02:04 PM
:roflhard: I didnt shave my legs...not since Saturday! :roflhard:

WOW...what WONDERFUL compliments! :inlove:

Vick....this is one of those BIG skeins....you get two socks out of one skein.

Jouf...I think it takes longer because I had to work slower and more carefully on those teeny tiny needles!

Joyce...I followed the pattern that I linked to above. I searched for one that was EXTRA simple. Silver's sock tutorial is EXCELLENT, but the two times I tried to use it, the sock was coming out too BIG for my feet....I had to find one with fewer CO sts.

Now I want to find a good DK wt self-striping sock yarn!

Mer
01-18-2006, 02:46 PM
Looks great! I started my first sock recently but haven't gotten too far. :rollseyes:

Jillle
01-18-2006, 02:52 PM
Wow. I agree with the previous posts. Your work is really great! :happydance:

Holly
01-18-2006, 02:55 PM
:cheering: Nice sock, Kel! Is this the sock you were knitting on 2 circs when you and Hilde had your first get-together? Since I've yet to complete a pair of socks, I was considering some wall art that is all single socks ;) !! Isn't the thought of starting over on the second sock daunting?!

njknitter
01-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Fabulous :cheering: , but I can't wrap my head around the idea of size 1 needles!

I recently tried 2 socks on 2 circulars (http://www.socknitters.com/2circs/index.htm) and enjoyed it a whole lot more than using DPNs. The main advantage to me was that both socks are knitted at the SAME time! No worries about ending up with a mis-matched pair of socks and when you're finished, you're FINISHED.

When I made a pair using DPNS, I didn't enjoy the 2nd sock as much as the first since I felt very "been there, done that" about it.

Amber
01-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Nice work!

KellyK
01-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Is this the sock you were knitting on 2 circs when you and Hilde had your first get-together?

OMG, Holl! You have the memory of an ELEPHANT! :lol:

No...this is NOT the same sock...I gave up on those, frogged them and TRADED all of my sock yarn!

Then, I dont know what happened exactly, but someone on here started talking about socks again and I bought some more. :rollseyes: I intended that my first completed pair would be made from DK wt, but then I found this yummy jojoba yarn and, well, there ya go.

CateKnits
01-18-2006, 04:42 PM
I think I said this already, but YAAAAAAAAAAY! :cheering:
Let me know how the DK sock thing goes. I've got some sport weight, self-striping from Knit Picks, but I haven't started them yet. I still have another snapdragon sock and my KNEE socks on SIZE ONE needles to complete. :oo: How long did this take you, so I can multiply by about 17 to see how long the knee socks will take me? :roflhard: By the way, size two is the way to go! :roflhard:

kemp
01-18-2006, 05:01 PM
It looks great!

VickiIL
01-18-2006, 06:32 PM
: Silver's sock tutorial is EXCELLENT, but the two times I tried to use it, the sock was coming out too BIG for my feet....I had to find one with fewer CO sts.

One of my favorite books I bought was the Twisted Sisters Sock Book (I may have the title a little wrong but I think that is it.) She has a chart in there that takes the measurement around your foot and the weight of yarn/needle size and tells you how many stitches you should cast on. That has been so helpful to me!

Angelia
01-18-2006, 11:09 PM
Yay!!! It looks great--are you ready to become one of the sock people now?! :thumbsup:

Lana
01-19-2006, 11:29 AM
WOW! WOW!! WOW!!!

I have never made adult size socks. :fingerwag:
Lots of Christmas stockings, but they don't come in pairs. :rollseyes:
I'm pretty sure I'd end up with one my size and one DH size.

Soooooo???? Did the second one come out the same size?

Silver
01-19-2006, 12:43 PM
Congrats on your first sock Kelly!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Mad About Wool
01-19-2006, 12:50 PM
What great work!! Congratulations to you. (And the sock yarn is sooo pretty)!

KellyK
01-19-2006, 01:41 PM
Thanks thanks thanks!

Lana....Im only as far as 1/4" past the ribbng on the 2nd sock....all I can tell you is that I was WILDLY successful at getting the color patterning to match up!

VictoiseC
01-19-2006, 03:12 PM
Kelly I had to check the date... I can't believe that's your first sock?
I thought I complimented you a long time ago on a sock that had a nice rounded toe, maybe that was the clog though. Anyhow, it's gorgeous & so intricate with all those colours! I always make socks on size 3. You'll find it a lot easier going on 3s. And you might want to try that really neat method of doing 2 socks together..... it's interesting. Not on 2 circulars (I haven't dared go there yet) but you know, knit the body of one, then the other, then the heel flap, then the other etc.

I'm just finishing my blue socks, first pair that is 'normal'. Cleckheaton is really nice sock yarn.... but that sounds neat about the stuff in the yarn, aloe, to keep your hand soft.

I love my Sock Book, I'm going to do every sock in there.

Oh, I ripped these toes out twice coz I hated the pointy ends. As you do more socks you finally do it the way you want it and not the way they say to.

Here's a pic. If I could just get around to sewing them up.

KellyK
01-19-2006, 06:51 PM
Those look GREAT, Vic!

If I ever decide that Im going to become "one of those SOCK PEOPLE", then I suppose I will invest in second sets of DPNS so I can do them both at once.

That cleakheaton looks like a REASONABLE weight! Is it sport or DK?

I didnt want to do THESE socks on 3's....its pretty thin. I wanted fairly dense socks.

rebecca
01-19-2006, 06:57 PM
:notworthy: WTG, my friend....knew u would get there!! You are now an official member of the Sock Knitting Addicts of the World....welcome ;)

Angelia
01-20-2006, 07:32 AM
Ahhhhh....Socks!

Vic yours are lovely--and I really like that yarn! They look particularly snuggly warm.

VictoiseC
01-20-2006, 06:59 PM
ha ha sport or DK! I dunno! I have a confession to make, I never learned those ... thingys. Um, I think it's DK? I'ts not light and thin, nice and nubby and strong. Will let you know when I find out but Cleckheaton is really nice yarn, the heathery colors and all...

thanks!!!

edit: just found out it's DK. They have their own website Cleckheaton. Really nice yarns.

KellyK
01-22-2006, 10:50 AM
I finished my other sock last night!! :cheering:

I am QUITE proud of the way I matched the color pattern repeat. *Takes a bow* 8-)

Lana
01-22-2006, 11:17 AM
OMG!!! The pattern is exact!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've done sweaters for 14" dolls with sock yarn and have unrolled the ball to try to get the sleeves to match. Can't say I was altogether successful.

I have never been inspired to make socks 'til I got on this board. I just love the enthusiasm and support here!

Now that I have been able to wrap my mind around two socks on two circular needles, I'll have to see if I can wrap my hands around the concept. :roflhard:
Knitting with 6 thumbs and 5 needles is difficult for me. :rollseyes:

Beautiful job, Kelley!

kitkat
01-22-2006, 11:31 AM
Wow Kelly! Your socks are fantastic! You inspired me to break out of my SSS - I started #2 sock last night......as I had finished #1 over a month ago!

KellyK
01-22-2006, 11:52 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Lana.....my "trick" was to tie the slip knot for the CO right at the point where two colors meet. :thumbsup:

gardenmommy
01-22-2006, 11:57 AM
Are you SURE Kelly's not holding a mirror between her knees? ;)

Beauteous job! Can't wait to finish my first (and second!) sock, but alas I'm using Patons Kroy in the FINGERING weight...ack! Next time I know...look for the DK sock yarns! LOL

Mer
01-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Great job! And I've never seen socks so perfectly matched. :thumbsup:

Jeep_Girl
01-22-2006, 01:01 PM
Great Job!!! :heart:

KellyK
01-22-2006, 03:16 PM
:mrgreen:

VictoiseC
01-22-2006, 07:20 PM
Yeah that's some tricky stuff there getting those to match! Great job!
I'm just finishing my first vest for my DH and the back is done... well I did a bunchof stripes coz I realised I was going to run out of the yarn I wanted to use... now I have to try and match up the front. I told him to have a very
'artistic' outlook on the finished product ha ha.

Aren't socks great though?! As soon as I get done with one pair I start the next within a couple days. They're cuties they are.

(a mirror between....???)

gardenmommy
01-22-2006, 07:26 PM
(a mirror between....???)

Her socks match each other so perfectly, they could be a mirror reflection of each other! LOL I didn't make that very clear, did I?

margie
01-22-2006, 09:04 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :thumbsup:

Cristy
01-22-2006, 10:35 PM
great job! ;) I like the colors!

Danielle
01-22-2006, 10:55 PM
WTG, KK! :cheering: They look awesome! :thumbsup:

KellyK
01-22-2006, 11:51 PM
Thank ya thank ya thank ya!

Amber
01-23-2006, 12:18 AM
Dang, you're good!! They match perfectly! Awesome job! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheering: