PDA

View Full Version : homespun yarn question

spooky
01-19-2006, 04:38 PM
Hi! I am making a scarf for a friend in Germany out of Lion Brand's HOMESPUN yarn. My friend wants pom poms on the bottom of the scarf like this one :

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/kwetq-stripedScarfMans.html

The pattern calls for Lion BrandŽ Wool-EaseŽThick & Quick but they did not have the colors that she wanted (mainly shades of pink --- omg why is that color hard to find?!?) so I had to use HOMESPUN.

My question is: Do you think it is possible to make a pom pom with HOMESPUN? I have never used this kind of yarn before and I'm a little bit leary about making a pom pom because I think it might fray.

Has anyone ever made a pom pom using HOMESPUN ? Or would you suggest me making a pom pom out of a different type of yarn? Frankly, I think FRINGE would be the best way to go :roflhard: !

Thanks for the help !!! :heart:

jhelanee
01-19-2006, 05:09 PM
LB Homespun does fray. Badly. I would not use it for pom poms - find another yarn in coordinating colors if she insists on them. I have used it for fringe, but I think I tied a knot at the free end of each strand to prevent fraying. Otherwise I think it will get very ragged very quickly.

Sorry to confirm your fears and good luck.

spooky
01-19-2006, 05:33 PM
That was what I was thinking when I started to knit the scarf. I really like the feel homespun has, so I think she should be happy with that. She told me she wanted something super soft that wouldn't break her bank lol. I think I'm just going to stick with fringe, if she will let me. If not I have some hot pink yarn that should match her scarf pretty well. Thanks for the help ! :thumbsup: