PDA

View Full Version : My first "skein"

VickiIL
01-20-2006, 08:27 PM
Here it is...My first "skein" This is only the singles. I didn't attempt to ply it. I figured I could save that for another day.

Now I need to dye it and see if there is enough to make anything from it.

Vendie
01-20-2006, 08:29 PM
That looks great Vicki! It looks thick enough, you might not even need to ply it. What color are you going to dye it? I can't wait to start dying some yarn...I have Kool Aid waiting and everything, just need the time!

VickiIL
01-20-2006, 08:32 PM
No idea. My DD and I just about bought every color of Kool Aid on the shelf. We will probably pick a couple colors and "paint" it. Just for fun. I really doubt it is big enough for much of anything. Not much more than maybe some fingerless mitts, a little purse, something like that. Who knows.

Mad About Wool
01-20-2006, 10:13 PM
Yay :cheering: That is a pretty skein!! Now don't you feel pleased with yourself? Give yourself a pat on the back. I can't wait to see what colors you dye it.

Angelia
01-21-2006, 12:22 AM
Oooh, that looks great! :cheering: :cheering:

Can't wait to see it dyed!!

suziehomemaker
01-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Vicki - Your yarn is great! I'm so glad to hear that you were able to make a skein. Was this from your drop spindle?

VickiIL
01-24-2006, 06:51 PM
Vicki - Your yarn is great! I'm so glad to hear that you were able to make a skein. Was this from your drop spindle?

No my DH actually bought me an Ashford Traditional for my Christmas gift :cheering: :cheering: I never did get a handle on the drop spindle.

suziehomemaker
01-25-2006, 09:39 AM
I remember you saying that you had a hard time with the spindle. I still have my MIL's Ashford Traditional but I haven't touched it since the move. I was hoping to get my own in March for my birthday but more important things have come up to spend money on.

I can't wait to see your next skein!

VictoiseC
01-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Ohhhh that's so cool, I'm jealous. I"m so lazy, I still haven't tried spinning!
You're going to have so much fun! :cheering:

VickiIL
02-01-2006, 03:48 PM
My 4 yo dd and I made a trip to the grocery store to pick up kool-aid. She picked out tropical punch and we went home to play. She loved helping out to dye the yarn.

suziehomemaker
02-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Your color turned out so even! I'm so impressed!

So what are your plans now for knitting it up?

ChroniclesofYarnia
02-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Don't you just love the soup part? :lol:

Your yarn is super cute! :)

Mad About Wool
02-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Delicious!! :happydance: :heart: :thumbsup:

amy
02-03-2006, 01:41 PM
:inlove: Gorgeous!!!!! Great, saturated color, love it!

Shandeh
02-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Here's my first skein. I got the fiber through an ebay auction, and it was already dyed a "watermelon" color. I have tons of fiber now, waiting to be spun. I just need to make myself do it!

Mad About Wool
02-27-2006, 11:34 PM
Here's my first skein. I got the fiber through an ebay auction, and it was already dyed a "watermelon" color. I have tons of fiber now, waiting to be spun. I just need to make myself do it!

Wow, that is beautiful!!! It looks perfect. :thumbsup:

Shandeh
02-27-2006, 11:59 PM
Thanks! It was WAY overspun at first, and slubby because I'm a beginner. I had to run it back through the spinning wheel and "unwind" it a bit by spinning in the opposite direction. After wetting it and letting it dry overnight with a weight, it's finally balanced. But it still causes a bit of a slant when I knit with it.

Oh well, time will make it better, I'm sure.

Take care,

- Sandy