PDA

View Full Version : Alabama! Impromptu get together---January 28th!

amy
01-20-2006, 08:38 PM
Sorry it's so last minute...it took me this long to convince Sheldon to take a long weekend so we can attend a sing in Alabama. Today all the plans have come together, so we'll be down in north-eastern Alabama that weekend. Angelie and Karen will already be there, so we're throwing together an impromptu knit-get together on Saturday afternoon/evening!

Karen (Kirochka) and Angelia and I will be attending a Shape Note/Sacred Harp sing on Saturday. (Karen and I are long-time singers, Angelia's checking it out for the first time.) For those interested in singing: Saturday is a singing school/class, so it's especially good for newcommers. Anyone is welcome to join us, if you're interested at all, then do come! For more on this kind of music, here's (http://www.knittinghelp.com/content/personal/shape-note/index.php) my page about it. Sunday will be another day of singing for those interested. :D

The tentative plan is to knit and chill out in our cozy hotel lobby, the Holiday Inn Express in Fort Payne around 4:00pm, for a couple hours, then go over to dinner at the Western Sizzlin'. It's nothing fancy, but it should be fun! :D

~Amy

PS
Folks are welcome to stay overnight at the same hotel, Karen and I will be there. Angelia and her husband will either stay there or across the street, there's a couple hotels to choose from.

DannahK
01-20-2006, 10:40 PM
Ohhh! I might be able to go!

Angelia
01-20-2006, 11:28 PM
Ohhh! I might be able to go!

:cheering: :cheering:

We can carpool if you'd like! (Heck, I can ditch the dh and the two of us can go.... :rofling: :rofling: )

Danielle
01-21-2006, 12:25 AM
I'd love to go, but its a little further than I want to travel...We need a get together in NC!!

foldedbird
01-21-2006, 02:58 AM
Man, I wish I could go! It's pretty far from us. :crying: Take pictures!!!
Happy singing!

Denise

Kirochka
01-21-2006, 10:32 AM
For those who are thinking of going, there are maps to the singing at http://fasola.org/maps/?index=132&size=small - the location is Liberty Baptist Church in Henagar (DeKalb County), AL (ignore the date: it changes every year to whatever the first fifth Sunday of the year is, and the map has an old date on it).

There will be at least one other singer-knitter there, my friend Lynne (we met as freshmen in a Russian class in college in, gasp, 1980) - she picked up my knitting needles the first time I was trying to teach myself, a little over a year ago, and taught herself to cast on, and now is knitting socks and hats and all sorts of things. She's coming to the singing (from Providence, RI) and I told her to bring her knitting with her! :cheering:

amy
01-21-2006, 11:53 AM
Hooray!!! I hope you can come DannahK!! With Lynne there too, we've got a real knitting posse forming! :thumbsup:

Awww, sorry you can't come Denise and Danielle. :(

BTW Danielle, I've been meaning to tell you, I love your avatar!! I'm a Napolean Dynamite fan. :D

DannahK
01-22-2006, 02:11 PM
I know my DH won't go, he's on call - again. So I'd love to carpool Angelia! Think we should get together to meet make sure we are travel compatible? heh kidding.

We can work out the details.

Cristy
01-22-2006, 03:12 PM
so this is next weekend, right? You said North East Al--where about? I might just be able to come up--it depends on where. I think I could probably swing it--I know dh wouldn't mind. :)

Kirochka
01-22-2006, 03:17 PM
The singing school on Saturday is in Henagar, on Sand Mountain, in DeKalb County, with the singing on Sunday. The knitting get-together is in Fort Payne, at the Holiday Inn Express (Amy said it'll be at 4 p.m.).

More information about the singing, and Sacred Harp singing in general, at http://fasola.org I've posted a link to a map to the church in Henagar further up in this thread.

ETA: Here's the posting about the singing weekend from a Sacred Harp mailing list:

You have a warm invitation to attend the upcoming singing school and singing
on the fifth weekend of January at Liberty Church, Henagar, Alabama.

Liberty Singing School
Saturday, January 28th
10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Liberty Fifth Sunday Singing
Sunday, January 29th
9:30 a.m. - 2:30/3:00 p.m.

Directions:
Liberty Church is located on Liberty Road near Henagar (Sand Mountain) in
northeast Alabama. From Henagar Crossing (intersection of Ala 75 and Ala 40
Take Alabama Highway 40 west 0.6 mile to the Farmers Telephone Cooperative
Turn right onto Greebriar and go to dead end Turn right (Greenbriar,
continued) Take first left past Henagar Methodist Church onto Liberty Road
Church is on right after 1.3 miles.

Map: http://fasola.org/maps/?index=103&size=large

For more information:

David Ivey
David@DavidIvey.com

Cristy
01-22-2006, 03:23 PM
I just mapped it and if I have the right place (Holiday Inn Express in Fort Payne--112 Airport Rd. W in Fort Payne) it's only about 3.5 hours from here so I might be willing to do it, even as a day trip (b/c that means for me it's really only a 3 hour trip--I love road trips!).

I'll talk to dh about it and see what he thinks--he might just tell me to stay the night anyway.

Kirochka
01-22-2006, 03:31 PM
I hope you can be there, Cristy! And yes, that's the right place! :cheering:

Cristy
01-22-2006, 03:38 PM
Testing..check...it worked! :) loL!

I'll let you guys know something in the next day or two.

Kirochka
01-22-2006, 03:40 PM
The "testing" was me trying to figure out signature line formatting, which DannahK helped me with! :oops:

Angelia
01-22-2006, 04:05 PM
That's hilarious Karen, I did the same "testing" thing!! Early one morning before anyone was on! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

And yay, Dannah, for going, too! We're thinking of leaving HSV to get to Henagar about 1, then leave early the next morning around 8 or 9. Would that work for you?

NesanelRose
01-22-2006, 05:03 PM
Aww...I wish I was able to go, but unfortunately it's a bit of a long drive for me(I don't do well with long distance drives on my own), and with my car out of commission at the moment, and no money at all to speak of, it'd be awfully difficult for me to get there. :(

Hopefully we Alabama/Georgia people will be able to have another one soon that I'll be able to come.

DannahK
01-22-2006, 05:07 PM
I have to work on Monday morning at 8am - so I'll probably need to come back sunday night. Maybe a caravan instead of a carpool?

dominicanbaby111
01-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Hey!

DannahK
01-22-2006, 05:19 PM
who hey? what?

Angelia
01-23-2006, 07:15 AM
Dannah, we're leaving Saturday around 10 or 10:30 to go to Henagar/Ft. Payne, and were planning on leaving Sunday morning at 8 or 9 to come home; I should have made that clearer! :doh:

But, there's been a development: we have some rather rowdy and untrustworthy next-door neighbors here at the apts (trying to get them kicked out, but it hasn't happened yet), and the dh doesn't trust them. He really wants to drive back Sat. night, even if a bit late. You're still welcome to ride with us, though!

DannahK
01-23-2006, 11:44 AM
I have to be here in town until about 1pm, so looks like I am going to be a little later, and miss the singing.

I'm the costumer for a musical, and I have to get several people fitted for their costumes that morning from 10 - 12. I'll just plan on meeting everyone there.

PurlyGyrl
01-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Shoot! :( So close, yet so far. I'd love to come, but just can't. Pooh! I will be with you guys in spirit. Have fun and take lots of pictures, not only of the knitting :XY: and knitters :XX: , but of the sing, too. Sounds so interesting. And if any of you are passing through Tennessee, I'll be that fool on side of the road :waving: at you! Take care all.

Kirochka
01-24-2006, 12:35 PM
We fly in to BNA all the time, so we'll wave as we head down 24! :D

Wish you could be there!

Cristy
01-24-2006, 01:22 PM
looks like I won't make it either guys...dd has her first official birthday invitation for a princess party on Saturday afternoon--dh reminded me that I promised she could go in full princess attire...

Angelia
01-24-2006, 05:07 PM
Oh, phooey!

Please post pics of the pricess attire, though! I'll bet she's really excited!

knitncook
01-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Darn, why couldn't it be in South Alabama, like Mobile. I could easily do Mobile.

Kirochka
01-25-2006, 09:51 AM
One of the bumpiest flights I've ever been on (yet! :shock: ) was to Mobile in January a few years ago!!!

(Not that that means anything, it's just what I think of when I think of going to Mobile. The entire plane was full of very, very silent people with very white knuckles!)

OK, now why did I go and think of that two days before I have to get on a plane!? :shock:

Cristy
01-25-2006, 09:52 AM
Oh, phooey!

Please post pics of the pricess attire, though! I'll bet she's really excited!

I will..I'm really bummed that I can't come :(

Angelia
01-25-2006, 08:53 PM
Me too! :(

amy
01-26-2006, 02:15 PM
Sorry we're going to miss you Cristy and Michelle and Denise(s). :(

Wow, we fly out tomorrow morning!

Sheldon's so cute, he's only flown a few times ever, and he's all excited about the trip. He's like a kid, checking the airline's website for flight details, looking at the weather, planning everything and getting into it. ("Hey look at this, you can see the flight path of any plane in the US online...") It's so cute. :D (He's gonna kill me for posting this, but I can't resist.)

Angelia
01-26-2006, 02:22 PM
Sorry we're going to miss you Cristy and Michelle and Denise(s). :(

Ditto... :verysad:

Wow, we fly out tomorrow morning!

Yay! I am so excited! Not just about meeting everyone, but also about attending the singing! I think I'm tone deaf, so there's no way you'll lure me in--I cannot subject others to the horror that is my voice--but I can't wait to hear it done by folks who can sing! Plus, Karen says that Henagar is THE place to hear Sacred Harp, so I'm very excited!

Sheldon's so cute, he's only flown a few times ever, and he's all excited about the trip. He's like a kid, checking the airline's website for flight details, looking at the weather, planning everything and getting into it. ("Hey look at this, you can see the flight path of any plane in the US online...") It's so cute. :D (He's gonna kill me for posting this, but I can't resist.)

Sounds just like my dh--the flight-plan has now become a toy (a computer toy!) that he can play with! :rofling: The boyishness of men is sometimes so cute! :heart:

Kirochka
01-26-2006, 02:29 PM
I just hope there's enough actual singing that you get to hear it in its full glory, Angelia! (Since it's a singing school, there should be a bunch of teaching going on, but I've never been to an all-day singing school, so by the afternoon maybe it'll be more singing than teaching...)

We fly out of Midway at 3:15 tomorrow, so in three more hours I can print out our SW boarding passes! :cheering:

Angelia
01-26-2006, 02:43 PM
Woo hoo!! :cheering:

I can't wait! I get to meet you in a little over 48 hours!!! :happydance: :happydance:

PurlyGyrl
01-26-2006, 04:21 PM
Amy, I'm just like Sheldon. I just LOVE :oops: those airline tracking websites. My niece toured Europe last year and I had the BEST time just tracking her flights and checking out the airport websites of the places she fly to.

Have fun y'all! :balloons:

DannahK
01-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Yay! I'm excited! I am hoping to get there for at least a little of the singing, but with the musical holding me until 1 I can make no promises except... I'LL BE THERE FOR THE KNITTING!

I'm bringing my booga bag that I started just Monday.

Angelia
01-26-2006, 10:55 PM
:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

I'm excited about meeting you, Dannah! Too bad we couldn't carpool, but maybe next time!

Heck, we need to schedule an LYS crawl one Saturday!

amy
01-27-2006, 08:35 PM
I'm in Alabama!!! :happydance:

Sheldon and I arrived at our hotel at 3:30, and went straight to get FOOD. Found a YUMMY Mexican food place, and they were very accomodating to our vegetarian requests. Sheldon was in heaven, Mexican is his favorite. :D

I did a little research, and just down the road from us is a Cute little yarn shop! They're closed on Saturdays, so we wouldn't have been able to meet there, but it was fun to peek through the (closed) window and drool over their stash. Mostly Lamb's Pride from the looks of it, but they had a few nice spinning wheels set up, and it looked very cozy. Nice to know they're around, anyway!

I can't wait to meet you Angelia and DannahK!! :waving:
Hmmm, I think Karen's going to be here in this hotel in a few hours. Yay! The fun begins!

:cheering:

Danielle
01-27-2006, 08:48 PM
:cheering: Have fun!! :D

Angelia
01-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Yay, you've arrived safely!! :happydance:

And yum...Mexican food...I haven't had dinner yet...

How sad the LYS there is closed on Saturdays. :( Boo.

The dh and I should get to Liberty at around 1:30 or 2:00, depending on traffic and on how quickly we can get lunch in Scottsboro (drive-thru of course). I've got the Henagar map printed, and directions written out just in case...

What are the dhs going to do whilst we knit? All I know is that Rob (my dh) sees me knit enough at home and doesn't want to watch it in Ft. Payne! :rofling: (But he's a sweetie for travelling just for me; he didn't want me to make the drive alone. :heart:)

Have fun tonight--tell Karen helloooo!

amy
01-27-2006, 09:05 PM
What are the dhs going to do whilst we knit?

Sheldon was joking that he'd just hold a pair of needles and wiggle them around in some yarn and fake it. :lol:

That's so great that your DH is coming with you. What a guy! :thumbsup: I look forward to meeting him. I hope he enjoys the singing, and can tollerate all the knitting talk! Maybe SHeldon can keep him entertained, or perhaps Jerry, Karen's DH. :D

lisak
01-27-2006, 10:22 PM
Hey Ladies! I am so sad to hear all of you talk all about this fab get- together. I was planning on coming, but I can't now that my D (Darn, this time)H had to change is flight so I have to pick him up at 4 tomorrow from the airport!

I haven't had a chance to pick up my needles in two weeks either (or obviously respond to say that I wanted to come!)! :crying: I just got home from work and haven't been home before 9pm for the past week!

I really hope that you all have fun and that we can plan another one SOON! I don't post too often, but I miss being on the board just to read and catch up and I hate that I'm missing a chance to meet some of you!

Please :XX: a little extra for me! :D

Angelia
01-27-2006, 10:53 PM
I can just see Sheldon, Jerry, and Rob, sitting opposite us, all three of them wearing these hilariously blank and faraway stares... :shock:

Aw, Lisa, it just stinks that you can't come! I know that Karen will be back in Alabama--Huntsville, though--in early May (I think)--will you be here, too, Amy, or is one trip to AL per year all you can take? :rofling:

Anyway, maybe we can plan something then! That much notice might give more of the TN, GA, and other Southern folks a chance to come!! :happydance: