PDA

View Full Version : "Knit 1 row even" - First real sweater

jenn_tm
01-21-2006, 02:18 PM
Hi there - I'm working on a sweater for my husband. We have been together for 8 years and I have promised him a sweater for as long as I can remember. I even started one many years ago, but got stuck and it got lost in the "unfinished work" pile. This time I'm determined to finish! I am working on the back of the sweater and it is time to decrease for the shoulders (btw...I am working on "The Manly Sweater" from Stitch 'n Bitch) and it says to "knit 1 row even". I think the word "even" throws me off. If it wanted me to knit 1 row then why didn't it just tell me to knit 1 row? I guess in the back of my little head, I am wondering if they want me to knit 2 rows and that would be 1 "even" row. I don't know. Can someone clarify so that I know that I'm doing it correctly? Thank you so much!

Jenn

BonnieM
01-21-2006, 02:32 PM
If I'm reading the pattern right (I have the book), I think they are telling you to end the color work on a WS row, then with MC, work one row even (using the main stitch pattern, K5, P1 rib). I think the use of the word *even* is to make sure you go back to using the pattern stitch and not the set up row. She uses that phrase again on the sleeves. Nice sweater, BTW!

jenn_tm
01-21-2006, 02:35 PM
Thank you for the quick reply! I will keep trucking on then! :) I'm sure I will be back with many other questions about this sweater. :D