PDA

View Full Version : OT-Wish us luck...UPDATED!!!!!

Cristy
01-22-2006, 03:37 PM
dh and I just got the renewal rates on our apartment about a week and a half ago and decided that based on the increase--we might need to start looking at houses. My sister is relocating here from Los Angeles and I was looking with her about a month ago but she's looking at houses that are out of our price range...so anyway--I took the day off on Friday and looked all day. By the end of the day I was sad and depressed--even though I am looking for houses that cost twice what my first house cost (ex-hubby lives there now), I wasn't finding a whole lot!
We love where we live (Stockbridge, GA) but a lot of people are really down on the area we live in--it's seen a lot of changes over the years and it's an "older" area (I guess people only love what's "new" and "in"). Anyway--we were looking about 15 to 20 miles south of where we are and we just weren't happy.
Yesterday dh and I took the whole day to do some looking--we saw everything imaginable--in and out of our range. At the end of our afternoon we decided to call on a house that was out of sales flyers to see if we could get a basic idea of price. The agent called us back--met us at the house to show it and it's right in our price range. It's in a beautiful neighborhood--it's not too far away from where we currently are (and where we both work), it's near our church and there are lots of kids (good since we have a 3 yo dd). We are meeting the agent over there in about an hour to look again with my mom (a former real estate agent) and will probably put a contract on the house if we get the same warm fuzzy that we did yesterday! I'm sooooooo excited! :) We really didn't expect to find something so fast and we didn't expect to love this particular house so much--but when we went it--it has tons of upgrades...ceramic tile, a basement (that'll hold lots of yarn!!), a HUGE master w/ a massive closet!! One of the rooms is already decorated for a little girl!!! Anyway--I'm sorry this is such a long post--I'm just excited and I wanted to ask you guys to wish us luck--we really want this house! :)

gardenmommy
01-22-2006, 03:42 PM
Woo hoo! Got my fingers and toes and eyes crossed for you! Good luck!

Ingrid
01-22-2006, 03:43 PM
A new house! How exciting! :pray:

Jeep_Girl
01-22-2006, 04:00 PM
Good Luck!

BinkyKat
01-22-2006, 08:26 PM
:happydance:
Honestly, getting a new house I think is more stressful than any other decision you can make.. no matter if it's a big house or small one, first or third!
Good luck and I hope you and DH get the house you love!
:thumbsup:

Cristy
01-22-2006, 10:29 PM
Well..we did another walk through and still loved the place. We were a little irritated by their agent--the owners have vacated and are living out of state and apparently they are in a hard position--they really need to sell the house but can't afford to take much less than asking price. We did offer them a few thousand less and we asked for several things like a flooring allowance or replacement tile in the kitchen--for them to pay the association dues for the first year--for them to pay all closing costs, etc. Barganing tools really...anyway--they have until 6 p.m. on Tuesday evening to let us know something. I appreciate the good luck wishes and I'll keep you posted.

KellyK
01-22-2006, 11:55 PM
Crossables are crossed!! :pray:

Angelia
01-23-2006, 09:37 AM
Crossables crossed here, too! :pray:

Jenelle
01-23-2006, 12:56 PM
:happydance:
Honestly, getting a new house I think is more stressful than any other decision you can make.. no matter if it's a big house or small one, first or third!
Good luck and I hope you and DH get the house you love!
:thumbsup:

I agree with that.. I moved several times within the past few years.. And I've grown to hate moving..

I send you good luck though Cristy!! :pray:

jodstr2
01-23-2006, 02:06 PM
:heart: good luck Cristy!!! :heart:
we hope to make some offers soon.

Cristy
01-23-2006, 11:03 PM
Well..here's my new update...

The agent called and said that the seller is intending to counter-offer (which we expected) and she hoped to have it sometime tomorrow. My heart is continuously beating overtime as I prepare for their counter...I want this house so much.

The agent also called and said that the termit inspection turned up evidence of termite activity. I don't know anything about termites--I'm told that as long as the termites are treated/exterminated and the damage (if any) corrected then the house is fine to purchase. Anyone wanna weigh in on this???

sigh..yes, this is frustrating and stressful but it's not the first house I've purchased so I went into it knowing...but it's inevitable...we knew it was coming sooner or later and we are happy that it's sooner...but wouldn't it be great if we could just erase the hassle part?? The waiting...the offers and counter offers....the irritating agents...the PAPERWORK!!!

Anyway--thanks again for everyone's input and crossables! let me know if any of you know anything about termites...

feministmama
01-23-2006, 11:57 PM
Termites, AWAY :pray:

Cristy
01-24-2006, 07:57 AM
I did quite a bit of research last night and found out that if it is recent activity then you're good to go b/c generally it takes a couple of years before you see extensive damage. She did indicate that it was recent activity. We are having an inspection done as soon as we see the counter-offer. I think the termites is an okay thing--I also learned that as long as they treat and the termites come to the treatment (poison) that it's a good thing b/c that means they are responsive--it's when you treat and don't see immediate activity that you have something to worry about!

dustinac
01-24-2006, 09:50 AM
Fingers crossed for ya!! :D

knitncook
01-24-2006, 10:14 AM
YOu are only seeing the tip of the paperwork pile. By the time you get to closing you will sign anything they put in front of you sans reading just to get through it! Practice signing your name. You are going to do it a lot in the next few weeks!

Hope the counter offer is fair!

flecker
01-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Cristy,
Your situation sounds exactly what we went through last year. After tons of searching (and I mean years) we finally found something we could afford in the right area and for a reasonable price. They had moved out of state and were in financial bind so needed as close to asking price as possible. We had some kind of bug thing (I think I blocked out most of details, once we signed papers), electrical work needed updated, other relatively trival issues. Just remember if it meant to be it will. And, that it shall pass.

As for termites, I believe once treated should be good. The amount of damage that's been done is the issue.

Good luck!

Cristy
01-24-2006, 01:28 PM
YOu are only seeing the tip of the paperwork pile. By the time you get to closing you will sign anything they put in front of you sans reading just to get through it! Practice signing your name. You are going to do it a lot in the next few weeks!

Hope the counter offer is fair!

Yah...I've bought one before...that's why I mentioned it...I remember it all too well! LOL!

CarmenIbanez
01-24-2006, 05:01 PM
[quote=BinkyKat]:happydance:
Honestly, getting a new house I think is more stressful than any other decision you can make..

My hubby read something this week (just a few weeks after we ourselves moved) that said the moving is actually ranked higher on the scale of stressful things than Divorce!