PDA

View Full Version : OT: Valentine's Day plans?

humblestumble
01-23-2006, 11:47 PM
Hey guys, I'm getting a jumpstart on valentine's Day and am wondering what everyone else is doing (provided, the SO doesn't read this board). I'm not interested in hearing about people sulking over valentine's day or tearing it down... This is a lovey/happy thread :) And also about tips/advice too :cheering:

But even if you are single, are you going out with friends? hooking up with someone new?

If you're in a couple, are you making them something, are you planning something special?

I really got nothing so far except the funniest card. I won't dish out the details just in case, but it's quite funny.

Got any tips on something romantic, but semi-unique to do? I REALLY want to surprise him. I do nice things for him even when it's not Valentine's day, but it's usually just exchanging gifts, or just being really huggy and watching a DVD.

This year, I think I may make some chocolate covered cherries, and maybe some lotion with pine scent in it to remind him of me (I have some scented like that from bath and body works that they stopped making) And two cards - One funny, one serious...I want to do more though! It's our 2nd Valentine's day together and we're both our first real relationship.

brendajos
01-24-2006, 12:17 AM
hooking up with someone new?

:thinking: :rofling: :oops:

humblestumble
01-24-2006, 01:05 AM
lol, well, I meant that if someone was going to try to ask someone out on a date or if someone liked a person around the office/ schoolground and was finally going to try to have a date with them lol. One night stands are gross IMHO.

trucker945
01-24-2006, 02:34 AM
okay, IMHO means In My Humble Opinion... so here we go. If you are going to ask a guy out, maybe you should be humble AND honest enough to be sincere about being serious. Otherwise, don't believe that he will be serious either. If you are willing to offer yourself, then you need to understand what you are doing. If you are offering a sexual relationship, then say so right up front. If not, then say so right up front. Don't tease if you offer to please. It's just wrong, and it could lead to illegal activities. Don't make the guy a criminal because you changed your mind at the last second. It's happened too many times before.

brendajos
01-24-2006, 02:42 AM
okay that was fairly random....lol

I have no real plans for Valentine's Day unless i am liking the sometimes b/f at that time...I always try to give blood that day though.

Sara
01-24-2006, 02:54 AM
Don't worry, Trucker, us knitter girls are too cool for that kind of shenanigan.

Besides, we're talking St. Valentine's Day, when all girls fancies turn to hearts and flowers--and COMMITMENT!!

I can't keep over 2,000 people sorted out in my mind, but it seems like a great number of us here on the board are in committed relationships. I think that's pretty interesting how stable everyone seems in their lives. Some of us may have fallen off the back of Cupid's guided tour bus, though. ;)

I, for one, know that I will get at least one card and gift (from my kindergartener). DH is not one for Hallmark holidays, but he makes a little effort on St. V's day and he shows me he loves me all year long. I haven't had to take the garbage to the dump once since we moved out to the country! :thumbsup: It's love, people! :inlove:

Cristy
01-24-2006, 07:52 AM
no plans--I'm working on a scarf for dh-he's not much for "doing things"--I'm sure he'll come up with something sweet--we'll see. Maybe he'll get me something for the new house--last year he bought me a bread maker and made me some bread :) I'm a pretty domestic sorta gal!

Angelia
01-24-2006, 09:16 AM
My birthday is the day before Valentine's Day, so we pretend Valentine's day is in June. We combine it with our anniversary so that it won't hijack my birthday. Helps with fundage issues, too!

dustinac
01-24-2006, 09:47 AM
Dh told me not to get him anything just make him Lasagna and I asked for a ring but it got lost in the mail :lol: so I told him a Cold Reeses Choc. Egg lol yeah after 10 yrs (5.5 married) and the expensive of a Christmas with 2 little ones Valentines just ain't the same... :rofling:

margie
01-24-2006, 09:59 AM
I'd like to say that DH and I have some wonderfully romantic evening planned, but we don't. It is usually hard to get a sitter for that night, and this year Valentine's Day in on a school night- something to take in consideration when you have small kids.

I'll probably do the same thing that I've done in other years- make a somewhat fancy dinner, along with something nice for the kids- one year everything they had was heart shaped, and they had sparkling cider. My husband and I exchange cards, and he will usually get me a gift- flowers, or candy. I'm a sucker for all things romantic!! :heart:

dustinac
01-24-2006, 10:03 AM
Margie, I know what you mean.. mine are not in school yet but we don't have a sitter up here.. Dh keeps telling me I need to find one but I only trust my mom with my kids :lol:

I will get the kids a little choc. heart and small stuffed toy...

nicolethegeek
01-24-2006, 11:10 AM
This year Valentine's Day is in the middle of my weekend, so I'll probably talk DH into going out to Joey's {a fish 'n chips shop} for dinner, or I'll make him one of his faves here if he's on call that week. He knows not to bother coming home unless he's got flowers for me. I'll get him a card and some candy or chocolates from work, but not sure if I'll make him anything... I *could* get his other sock done by then since it's before the Knitting Olympics, and he could have warm feet for V-day! :D

feministmama
01-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Don't make the guy a criminal because you changed your mind at the last second. It's happened too many times before.

:?? I don't get this. Why is the victim responsible for an abusers behavior?

On the topic oc Valentines day, how did this "holiday" start anyway? Lobbying from the flower and candy companies? Why don't we advocate love every day of the week? Has anyone seen Valentine cards for les/bi/gay folks?

Jeremy
01-24-2006, 12:14 PM
For several years I haven't worn my wedding ring simply because I was too fat. I tried it on recently and even after losing 66 lbs, It still is pretty tight. (We were married pretty young, 21 and 23 and were both quite a lot thinner). Anyway, my wife has always loved hearts so I decided to get us both cladagh rings for Valentine's day. I'll wear mine as a wedding ring. It'll be a surprise and I hope she likes it. :D

margie
01-24-2006, 12:23 PM
For several years I haven't worn my wedding ring simply because I was too fat. I tried it on recently and even after losing 66 lbs, It still is pretty tight. (We were married pretty young, 21 and 23 and were both quite a lot thinner). Anyway, my wife has always loved hearts so I decided to get us both cladagh rings for Valentine's day. I'll wear mine as a wedding ring. It'll be a surprise and I hope she likes it. :D

Jeremy, how could she NOT?? That is a beautiful idea!! I bet she'll be absolutely thrilled.

Angelia
01-24-2006, 12:52 PM
ooh, Jeremy, that's wonderful! :heart: She'll love it!

Stonington
01-24-2006, 02:04 PM

Jeremy that is so sweet and thoughtful---romantic! :heart: Happy Valentines Day to you early!
anne
southern maine

Stonington
01-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Valentines Day was the day that we had intended on getting Married (were married Christmas Eve instead) :balloons: Dinner out at our favorite italian restaurant is one plan.. the rest is a secret--- he knows that makes me crazy trying to guess :??

Hope everyone's Valentines Day is happy. :heart:

anne
southern maine

Jenelle
01-24-2006, 02:15 PM
Hm, since I don't believe in dating at my age, I'll just be sitting around the house. I'l probably make V-day cards to send to some of my penpals in a few days.

Last years V-day was probably one of the best days, yet worst. It was the time of me getting homeschooled, then a few days later my grandfather passed away :(

I'll try to make the best out of it this year though. I might knit up some fun fur hearts soon to get this house decked out in V-day :)

Pixywhispers
01-24-2006, 02:35 PM
Jeremy how sweet! I bet shes gona love that! Report back!

Jenelle, sorry about your grandfather. I hate when bad situations color holidays.

And to the other mommies, I agree it is hard to find good sitters. We used to have a relative watch our kids a day or so before Valentines so they could go out on Valentinecs and we would go to a really nice restaurant. This year we are trying a new thing. Im gona feed the kids early send them to their room with a couple of movies and dh and I are going to cook a nice meal together and then snuggle with a movie together. I cant remember the last time we cooked together. My kids have a valentine party with the homeschool group that day and getting to go to bed and watch a show will be a special treat.

Humble, I am so glad you asked! There is a mock rib scarf I started for DH two years ago I'm gona dig it out and finish it. Ive never given him anything I knitted.

Candace

humblestumble
01-24-2006, 03:44 PM
Well Feministmama, I looked it up and here's a page that talks about the history of Valentines day:

http://www.historychannel.com/exhibits/valentine/?page=history

And trucker, what do you got to worry about ? ;)

punkhippiemom
01-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Femmy, I found some at this web site:
http://www.clintoncards.co.uk/ecommerce/shop/content.asp?prodtype=91&product=745

I agree that V-Day is pretty much all about chocolate and cards anymore.... BUT I also enjoy that there is a single day dedicated to being romantic and loving... it serves as a reminder LOL.

DH and I probably won't do anything special ( read, romantic) but he has asked me if I want to go see the Flogging Molly concert the night before. Music is important to both of us, and going to concerts is a favorite - and rarely-enjoyed - pastime, so it'll be very special for us... and, considering this would be our first night out w/out kids in almost five months, I'll take it!! :thumbsup: :rofling:

tab
01-24-2006, 05:26 PM
I'm going to spend the time from now until Valentine's trying to convince the boy NOT to buy Valentine's flowers for me. The prices get so high, it's ridiculous.
Someone mentioned Valentine's lasagna. That sounds like a good idea... he loves lasagna, and I don't cook for him very often. I'm also going to try to finish a soapstone carving by then, although with all my schoolwork I'm not sure that will happen. Silly essays.

CarmenIbanez
01-24-2006, 06:11 PM
Valentines Day was the day that we had intended on getting Married (were married Christmas Eve instead) :balloons: Dinner out at our favorite italian restaurant is one plan.. the rest is a secret--- he knows that makes me crazy trying to guess :??

Hope everyone's Valentines Day is happy. :heart:

anne
southern maine

Christmas Eve is my Anniversary too! I have anniversaries of all sorts in common with a lot of you! (Today is my knitaversary).

Anyway, I just wanted to add my two cents. Since becoming a teacher I have learned some valuable information about teenagers. Way back in the day when I was in high school Hooking Up had a very specific meaning. These days it can mean just getting together in a group for an outing, kissing/making out, or becoming girlfriend/boyfriend officially for the first time. Just thought it was funny what a reaction that comment recieved! :-)

Happy V Day :heart:

humblestumble
01-25-2006, 02:04 PM
lol yeah... I probably should've worded myself better. I know a lot of teens still use it that way too...

In other news...I'm now thinking of making some pretzels for Ben (He LOVES them) and I'm thinking we can start our scrapbook with the materials that have been sitting there for about a year lol. And I might make some fortune cookies...But I dont want tooo much junk food lol.

Last night he told me that he was ready for engagement :inlove: So I wonder what Valentine's day will be like this year! Hell, even if he doesn't propose (which I'm really not expecting) on V day, I don't care :) Just hearing that he feels he's ready is news to my ears! (We'd talked about it before and he was like "no, we havent been together that long, and I dont want to be engaged for YEARS before we're married" But I dont care how long I'm engaged.)

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :XX:

Happy Knitaversary!

I think it's cool to have your anniversary on a day that is already sort of a holiday - so easy to remember! And EXTRA special.

And no problem pixy!

humblestumble
01-25-2006, 02:16 PM
Has anyone seen Valentine cards for les/bi/gay folks?

http://tinyurl.com/avza2

http://www.10percent.com/products/ecards/list.cfm?category=m&sub=valentine

http://www.overtherainbowshop.com/love_cards.htm

http://www.adlbooks.com/choosecard.cfm

Some of them are e-cards, but I'm trying hard to find some! And then of course, there's the cards at the store which just say "you" instead of gender.

Kirochka
01-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Our anniversary is St. Patrick's Day! :D Hard to believe it's our sixth this year!

DH's birthday is a week after Valentine's Day, and anyway we've decided not to give each other gifts except randomly when we feel like it or on birthdays - we don't exchange gifts for Chanukah, Christmas or Valentine's Day, or our anniversary. But we do give each other cards (often homemade) and we do use it as an excuse to get something yummy for both of us - I tend to go for Dagoba chocolate, and he tends to get a torte from LA Burdick!

humblestumble
01-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Aw! That's soo cool! I love St Paddys day - it's my favorite day of the year (although I'm not fond of the history, but I LOVE Green and I'm part irish)

And that's a nice idea to only give when you are compelled to. I bet it makes it even more special. We do that too on ocassion (I knit for him randomly, and he buys me yarn), but we also give on holidays, probably just because it's how we grew up. It's hard to let go of the expectation, so I applaud you for that :cheering:

amy
02-07-2006, 03:49 PM
....and he shows me he loves me all year long. I haven't had to take the garbage to the dump once since we moved out to the country! :thumbsup: It's love, people! :inlove:

:rofling: I hear ya Sara! That's my kind of love too! :thumbsup: (Sheldon's awesome that way.)

Jeremy, I love your cladagh ring idea, that's so romantic! :heart:

I told Sheldon that I want to go to the bank on Valentine's day and see what they'll offer us for a mortgage! We still rent our place, and we want to buy a house either this year or next. He doesn't know if he can get the tax paperwork together by Valentine's day, but if he can, it would be so perfect! I couldn't imagine a more romantic thing to do that day. We've been wanting a house for years, and we think (hope) we might finally be able to be approved for a good mortgage. :pray: I hope so!

Jan in CA
02-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Well...we've been married 31 yrs and have lived in this house for 28 so.... :roflhard:

DH and I exchange cards for sure and he often brings me flowers for V-day. Sometimes we go out to dinner...mmm Italian sounds good! :thinking:

Hope that house works out for you, Amy! Stay in it a long time and make lots of money! ;) :roflhard:

I don't believe in dating at your age either, Jenelle! You've got plenty of time!

Friskums
02-07-2006, 04:27 PM
This is my first V-day with my bf. I have no idea what we'll do yet.

On the 9th we'll be living together for 5 months. Since we've been going out to dinner on the 9th of each month we'll probably just put it off until the 14th. Maybe we'll go out to Olive Garden. I'm not a big fan of it, but he loves it.

Other than that, probably nothing. I wanted to knit him something, but I don't know what I'd make.
I want to make a cape for him at some point, but I can't find a good pattern yet. And I'm not comfortable enough yet to make my own.

So...yeah. No plans. Don't know. Never been a big fan of V-day, but since I've got a -really- special someone now I'd like to get more into it. But, even if we never do, that's fine to. He shows me he loves me daily, anyway.

:heart: :heart: I'm so happy spoiled. :heart: :heart:

tab
02-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Frisky_kittie, have you seen this one (http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=550)?

Friskums
02-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Ooooooh, that looks really nice. Thanks. ^_^

Kirochka
02-08-2006, 09:52 AM
I told Sheldon that I want to go to the bank on Valentine's day and see what they'll offer us for a mortgage!

That's so cool, Amy! I hope it does work out! (Does the big sinkhole have anything to do with your timing? :D I read about it on Sheldon's blog... scary!)

punkhippiemom
02-08-2006, 11:36 AM
:heart: Awww!!! What could be better than a 'love nest' for Valentine's Day??And how cool, to buy a house!! :cheering:

So, everything is set - the tickets are here, Grandma is going to come and stay with the kids, and DH has the night off from work - - We're going to see Flogging Molly (http://www.floggingmolly.com/) on Monday!!
:happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:
I'm a little excited.... :blush: