PDA

View Full Version : Hourglass Sweater kAL

knitbebe
01-24-2006, 01:13 AM
Hourglass Sweater from "Last minute Knitted Gifts" by Joelle Hoverson

A fitted Raglan Sweater with beautiful bell sleeves.

join in! :waving:

knitbebe

misstialouise
01-24-2006, 01:33 AM
Hourglass Sweater from "Lat minute Knitted Gifts" by Joelle Hoverson

It sounds pretty.. is there a pic of it somewhere?

kellyjo32
01-24-2006, 07:26 AM
Good idea starting it here knitbebe! I think I'm farther along, and that worries me, who will lead the way?! :shock:
We have a "Communications Day" at work today, 8-12, so that will be strictly knitting time for me! I'm hoping to finish this first sleeve and get the second one started, although I'm semi-confused about the instructions to put the first sleeve on the main body, so I'm just going to put them on a holder until I can look at it better. I'm loving the Andean silk, so soft, and the color is just gorgeous! I'll try to take progress pics tonight, if I remember!

Mer
01-24-2006, 11:22 AM
Thanks for starting the KAL! I'm done with the body and just started the first sleeve. I'm using Debbie Bliss Cathay (50% cotton, 35% viscose microfibre, 15% silk).

allegra918
01-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Hi All,
Mer just let me know that there is an Hourglass Sweater KAL. YAY!
I just started it a few days ago, and I don't have much done yet. I am using Gedifra Stripe, in reds, pinks, purples. I love it so far, I don't know why I'm not further along.... :??

Will try to move a little quicker.....

kellyjo32
01-24-2006, 12:56 PM
Yay!! :cheering: I got the majority of my first sleeve done in my horrible meeting!! I'm doing the smallest size, but the sleeve still seems to be a little big around, but it should be okay.
There are now 4 of us, how exciting.
Mer, you might have to help me once I'm done the sleeves, I'm semi-confused with the "knit the sleeves sts onto the circular needle for the body next to the 69 sts for front, place market, then knit the back" How do you knit something onto a circular needle? Does it mean just move them? This part has me baffled.... :??

Mer
01-24-2006, 02:15 PM
Yay!! :cheering: I got the majority of my first sleeve done in my horrible meeting!! I'm doing the smallest size, but the sleeve still seems to be a little big around, but it should be okay.
There are now 4 of us, how exciting.
Mer, you might have to help me once I'm done the sleeves, I'm semi-confused with the "knit the sleeves sts onto the circular needle for the body next to the 69 sts for front, place market, then knit the back" How do you knit something onto a circular needle? Does it mean just move them? This part has me baffled.... :??

Well I'm not there yet--but I'll try to help if you need it! It might make more sense when you have everything in your hands and are looking at the pattern. That often happens to me. :lol:

allegra918
01-24-2006, 03:45 PM
So, as I'm eating lunch and staring at my hourglass sweater, I am wondering if it is already looking too big? the lower body (the small amount i have done) looks awfully wide. i'm thinking maybe i should do the smaller size (right now i am doing the Small size)...... if i have to frog, this would be the time, i guess before i get too far.....

:crying:

this is just a KAL, no deadline, right?!??!?!?!

kellyjo32
01-24-2006, 05:52 PM
allegra, i'm with you...my sleeve is looking extra big, and then my hubby confirmed it looked a little baggy....i'm 13 inches up on it...what to do? although the body part of mine is looking okay, hard to tell though?! my gauge swatches were right on, and i checked a couple of times when i started, so i know that's not the problem.

it's scary to think about starting over though...but then again, you want to make sure it's right....hmmm....although it is an "hourglass" sweater, so it will taper in

Mer
01-24-2006, 08:20 PM
Something I wasn't sure about on this pattern was the sizing--the finished measurements are given for the sweater, not for the person wearing it. So I picked the smallest size (which is smaller than my bust size) because I wanted to have a little negative ease (a little snugness, I suppose!) Hopefully that was the right way to go!

knitbebe
01-24-2006, 11:30 PM
allegra, I just cast on yesterday & now have 3 rows!! woohoo! so, I think we're at the same place (the starting gate!! :D )

mer & kellyjo are leading the way! mer, too late for me to do the provisional cast on since I'm on row 3. but, I have decided (after a little reality check--ummm..I read the directions.) that I will mark the stitches every 10, as you suggested and knit the hem.

I don't know how much support I'll be able to offer you guys, since you're way ahead of me--but, I reread the directions (insert crazy obsessed knitter here! :blush: ) in spare moments, so at least I'll know what you guys are talking about.

I'm starting a blog to chronicle my progress on hourglass--I'll let you guys know when it is up in running. In case you want to drop there as well.

knitbebe

feministmama
01-24-2006, 11:55 PM
Did the pattern call for Manos? What are you using? I remember seeing this sweater and wanted to make it.

Mer
01-25-2006, 12:18 AM
The pattern calls for Noro Cash Iroha.

I have to say that I made it through the body fine, but now that I'm on to the sleeves I am getting TIRED of stockinette! :rollseyes: And I'm doing magic loop method (I don't like 12" circs) and it seems to be taking a while. Gotta press on...

allegra918
01-25-2006, 01:30 AM
:(

ribbit, ribbit

i frogged it all. i was convinced it was going to be too wide. i did yet another swatch and it all works out fine.

so now that i'm going to START ALL OVER (for a 2nd time, first time i had twisted the first row and couldn't tell until i had done about the same amount i had done this past time)...... are there any hints, tricks that i should keep in mind? like this provisonal cast on or the sewing up the hem stuff you guys are talking about?

i won't be casting on until tomorrow night probably, so i will anxiously await any words of wisdom..... and then i will knit like a banshee to try to catch up to at least where i was before frogging......

:frog:

kellyjo32
01-25-2006, 07:19 AM
I'm so sorry I missed out on the provisional cast on, and sewing up the hem as I went. Argh! It saying to slipstitch the lower edge and sleeves...hmm, slipstitch?! :??
Oh well, I'll save that for last I guess.

Mer, that's what I did sizing wise, went down just a tad, there was a huge gap between the small and then the next size, so I went with the smaller. I decided last night that since this was the first sweater I've done, I'm going to just go for it and love it no matter what!

Mer
01-25-2006, 09:32 AM
:( Sorry Allegra!

I did slip mine on to a large circ when I got to the armpit area and tried it on--it fits! So that's a relief. Looks like a fancy tube top at this point. ;)

allegra918
01-26-2006, 01:56 AM
So I've CO'd for the THIRD time now. I did the provisional CO. Now what's this all about hemming the botton while knitting the lower body?

knitbebe
01-26-2006, 03:05 AM
allegra, I'm sorry you've had a rough start. But, glad to see you plugging a way. The provisional cast on is really going to help you when you flip up your hem to knit on--you'll be able to see which stitch goes where.

I don't have any really great hints about the hem-since I'm a little lost with this hemming. I've done several swatches to try out the hem technique and what I discovered was that it isn't as clear as which stitches match. It's easy to skip a stitch are pick up an extra stitch .

so, I'm going to get a piece of scrap yarn and pull it through the bottom stitches (to make them more defined and hopefully easier to pick up in the right order (since you have done provisional --you've eliminated this problem) --it will be easy for you to match stitches up. It should be free sailing for you. YOu may want to mark every 20 or even 10 stitches. That way if you skip a stitch then you can just pick up 2 and be right on track. As long as you control the numbers evening them about every 10/20 you want have any problem with the hem twisting.

Boy, we'll be sailing along after this hem.

I'm loving my pima cotton by cascade---it is so soft, and really looks like denim. I have to figure out a way to get more--with my budget I have to be very creative--which sometimes means we eat pancakes, frech toast for dinner (what a horrible sacrifice!! ;) I take the extra grocery money and get some yarn. My husband is a teacher/ as I am--but, right now I'm at home my son . With one teaching salary I have to be very creative with how to keep my "habit" going.

knitbebe

allegra918
01-26-2006, 10:35 AM
So maybe it's just me, but is a provisonal CO tighter than usual?? It took me FOREVER to knit my first round because it was so tight! I'm sure it's just the way I did it, but man, I thought I was going to get tendonitis from knitting last night!!! Not a good thing when i'm trying to prevent that in my "everyday" life......

Anyway, i do like the way the prov CO makes it look. Is it really crucial to do the hemming as soon as i can or can it wait? i feel like i need to make up some ground on this project, so maybe i'll just wait until later when i'm bored of stockinette....

Mer
01-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Allegra--the advantage to using the provisional cast-on is that you can do the hem before you finish the whole piece. I followed this tutorial exactly and it worked great: http://marniemaclean.com/words/2005/01/no-sew-hem.html. It's basically like 3-needle bind off but without the bind-off part, if that makes any sense.

I suppose you could wait and sew up the provisional cast on loops at the end, but then you might as well just follow the pattern as written if you're going to have to sew, in my opinion! ;)

kellyjo32
01-26-2006, 11:42 AM
Yay! :cheering: One sleeve is attached to the body! I just hope it's attached the right way! It appears to be right, but who knows with me, I tend to do things backwards the first couple of times. But what I did made sense...so I hope it's right. Hubby went away for the weekend, and he took the digital camera, so I can't even post a pic!

allegra918
01-26-2006, 06:48 PM
hmmmm, maybe i'm confused about what a provisional CO IS..... does that mean you use a piece of yarn to CO? if so, then i totally didn't do a prov CO..... but i do like how my CO looks now that i'm a few rows into it.... so i guess i'll just stick to the pattern and hem at the end.

Mer
01-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Yeah, when you use provisional cast on you use a different yarn to CO and then remove it later to expose the live loops.

Ugh, I'm at a standstill on my sweater. Need to get back into it...

knitbebe
01-26-2006, 11:20 PM
Allegra, it sounds like you are doing great--after having knit the ((entire)) sweater you'll know what to do with the hem!! ;)

:thinking: I'm getting close to the hemming (knitting it on). I knit 5 and purled on row 6---should I pick up stitches on row 11 or 12. I'm beginning row 11 now, and doesn't quite look like there are enough rows to match the stitches?

thanks,
knitbebe

knitbebe
01-26-2006, 11:45 PM
kellojo, wow!! you are rolling along--- do you have another sleeve to do? or is it already knitted & just need to connect it?

way to go!! :thumbsup:

knitbebe

kellyjo32
01-27-2006, 01:57 PM
i have one more sleeve to do, it's on the needles, just not very far along. maybe this afternoon it'll get finished and I can get it on the main body. but first. i must get to some much needed house cleaning...just knowing that i can knit when i'm done gets me through the hard stuff!!

knitbebe
01-28-2006, 01:27 AM
whew! :XX: finished knitting on the hem!! I don't think I breathed through the entire hem ordeal, but well worth the effort--it looks great!! :happydance:

knitbebe

Mer
01-28-2006, 11:59 AM
whew! :XX: finished knitting on the hem!! I don't think I breathed through the entire hem ordeal, but well worth the effort--it looks great!! :happydance:

knitbebe

:cheering: Doesn't it look nice and professional with the hem?

kellyjo32
01-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Congrats on finishing the hem! I love it when you can finish the piece while you are going, so when you're done...you're done! Unfortunately mine won't be that way this time.

But for right now...knitting is so much fun!!! I have both sleeves on the body, and I'm working on the yoke! How exciting! I love watching something come together so well (so far!) :happydance:

knitbebe
01-28-2006, 11:49 PM
kellyjo,
How exciting it must be to actually see it come together.

I've heard lots of success stories ---I think that is why this sweater stood out from the rest---it just seem to work for everyone. I think the fact that it is a flattering shape and a solid pattern, it just falls into place.

:XX: keep knitting, you'll be there before you know it!! enjoy the journey :XX:

knitbebe

allegra918
01-29-2006, 01:25 PM
Everyone's progress sounds great!! I unfortunately have to take a little hiatus from the sweater and do two pair of clogs for bday presents, and then another three pair and a baby blanket. but i do plan to visit the sweater when i can....

you will all probably be done by the time i get back to it :(

kellyjo32
01-31-2006, 01:44 PM
No allegra!! Come back to the sweater! ;) It's so much fun!! Hehe! I can't wait to see all the different colors and yarns of everyone's sweater. I finished the yoke of mine, it got a little scary because the stitches are a little stretchy on the big circ's, but I see that there are some increases coming up. Somehow I ended up with an extra stitch in the front :?? I guess I'll just stitch two together to fix that, or would that be noticeable since it's in the front and hear the top? Maybe if I do it on one of the turn down hem rows that would be best...listen to me brainstorming outloud while I type! I'm a mess!! Kooky knitting lady! :happydance:

Mer
02-01-2006, 12:47 AM
Woo hoo, Kellyjo, you're almost there! I'm about 1/2 done with the second sleeve. The end is in sight!

knitbebe
02-01-2006, 12:53 AM
Nope, you have to stay, allegra--no backing out! okay, we'll let you slide to your clogs and such, but only if you promise to give us an update...on what you're woking on. :lol:

:thumbsup: kellyjo, yoke!! :shock: you may leaving soon too!! ktog on turning sounds like a great plan.

let me know how your neck turns out--I've heard that it can be a little wide. I am planning on decreasing at the neck--since, I want a fairly tight neck.

:XX:
knitbebe

allegra918
02-01-2006, 01:40 AM
i DID get a few more rows done. i am on my avocado clogs now, which i will have done (i think) by thurs. then i plan to use all my knitting time over the weekend for my sweater...... i do have to be good though (read my blog: violin auditions)

kellyjo32
02-01-2006, 07:12 AM
knitbebe, i was scared about the neck b/c when i looked at it, it looked HUGE, but then i realized that the big circs are really stretching it out a lot, so i loosened up some of the tension on the circs, and wa-lah, normal sized neck, it does look a little loose, i just hope the yarn i chose will looked relaxed like the yarn used in the original. we'll just have to see! 5 more rows!

oh but i do have a question...i still have to hem the bottom and sleeves, and i'm trying to figure this out :thinking:
it's telling me to slipstitch them, how exactly would one go about slipstitching?i figured it would just be sewing them together with the yarn on a yarn needle?

knitbebe
02-02-2006, 12:57 AM
kellyjo,
:thinking: I don't have a clue about the slip stitch. I am sure that if you follow the instructions word for word as you're doing it--it will make sense.

Maybe Mer could help?? OOOooo, Mer!! :waving:

I'm going to do some thinking on this :?? .

knitbebe

Mer
02-02-2006, 11:22 AM
I'm not sure about the slip stitch either. :thinking: Isn't that a crochet term? Maybe you use a crochet hook? I haven't looked into it too much yet, but I imagine just sewing it down with a tapestry needle could work!

kellyjo32
02-02-2006, 11:45 AM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking...in crochet terms. I just don't get it...maybe I'll post in the how-to forum.

Not An Artist
02-03-2006, 12:13 AM
Hi, I'm new, and I'm so happy to see that there is a KAL for the Hourglass Sweater! I won't be starting mine for a few days (It's my Knitting Olympics (http://www.yarnharlot.com/blog/olympics2006) project) and so I'm sure you all will be practically done by then, but I just wanted to poke my head in and wish you all luck, and beg you all to post pictures of your finished sweaters!

Mer
02-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Hey guys, if you do a search for slip stitch on google you get sewing instructions--that's probably what the pattern means.

Hi Not an Artist! I think the Hourglass will be a good knitting olympics project--good luck! :thumbsup:

knitbebe
02-04-2006, 12:54 AM
Question about row gauge.

I counted my row gauge and I come up with 30 rows -4". The gauge for the sweater is 28. I didn't check the row count with my initial swatch.

Will this have a big effect on overall length of sweater? I am only 4'11" so, length should be okay---I have eliminted some rows thus far..(3 total)

thanks,
knitbebe

Mer
02-04-2006, 01:02 AM
Question about row gauge.

I counted my row gauge and I come up with 30 rows -4". The gauge for the sweater is 28. I didn't check the row count with my initial swatch.

Will this have a big effect on overall length of sweater? I am only 4'11" so, length should be okay---I have eliminted some rows thus far..(3 total)

thanks,
knitbebe

It shouldn't, because most of the time you're going by inches rather than row counts. The only difference may be once you get to the yoke--you might end up needing to do a few extra rounds to make it deep enough, if that makes sense. By that time you can probably try it on to check!

Mer
02-05-2006, 01:54 PM
I finished! Whew, that hem sewing took a while. But I'm very happy with it! I'll get pictures once it's finished drying. ;)

allegra918
02-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Congrats Mer!!!!! How awesome! I can't wait to see pics! I hope even though you're finished with the sweater that you'll visit this KAL every once in a while for moral support!!! :pray:

knitbebe
02-05-2006, 11:40 PM
:notworthy: I can't wait to see pictures. Blocking is absolute torture ---all that waiting :rofling:

:pray: oh, please visit often! What will your next project be?

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
knitbebe

Mer
02-05-2006, 11:45 PM
Of course I'll visit! :D I think my next project will be the Apricot Jacket from a Rebecca magazine...can't remember which one.

knitbebe
02-06-2006, 01:54 AM
I tried to post my url under blog, but couldn't figure out how to do it so that it connects. Boy, this is going to be good for me--I have much to learn!! :roflhard: Nothing like the present. :cheering: (cheering myself on!)

www.http://www.rowanknittingbliss.blogspot.com[/url]

kellyjo32
02-06-2006, 07:04 AM
Congrats Mer!! I can't wait to see it!! I finished the hems on the sleeves, but that was all I got done this weekend... :( I was hoping to get more. I definitely want to be finished it by this weekend, which I think it doable, now that I've got the hang out of it. The kitchener stitch on the underarms is what is throwing me...I couldn't seem to get it right last night. The directions in the book were semi-confusing, so I'm going to watch Amy's video and we'll see how that goes.

Mer
02-06-2006, 09:06 PM
Here it is! The yarn (Debbie Bliss Cathay) is so comfy and light. And it fits! It is a teeny tiny bit small, but I think that's because I was a little optimistic with my gauge. :rollseyes:

I did 2 extra decrease rounds at the neck to make it less wide, and added some length to both the sleeves and the body.

Does it look weird and shiny in the picture? When I first downloaded them they did, but I don't see it now. :??

Andrea
02-06-2006, 10:32 PM
I :heart: it, Mer!! Good job! I really think I might have to make me one of these!!

kellyjo32
02-07-2006, 07:11 AM
Mer, it looks so great!!! :heart: it!! Where did you do the extra decreases to the neck? It lays very well! That's the only part I'm worried about now. I absolutely :heart: the color/yarn you used!!

Mer
02-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Thanks everyone! For the neck, I just repeated the raglan decreases part 2 extra times--I don't have the pattern with me, but after you join the sleeves it says something like ssk, k1, k2tog at markers, k one round, repeat these 2 rounds "x" times. I added 2 times to that "x" number.

allegra918
02-07-2006, 11:12 AM
It's absolutely perfect!!!! and beautiful!!!!!!!!!! i will have to try out that yarn sometime. congrats!!!!

kellyjo32
02-08-2006, 10:04 PM
I finally finished it! My first sweater was a HUGE success!!! :cheering: It fits perfectly and I love the color!! And although I was super nervous about the neck I really like how it turned out!! I think my husband was more nervous about it fitting/looking good than I was! But he loves it too and is extremely excited that it turned out so great! :happydance:

Mer
02-08-2006, 10:38 PM
kellyjo, that looks terrific! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Congrats on your first sweater. Isn't this the best pattern? I think it's really flattering on everyone. You look so cute!

allegra918
02-09-2006, 12:07 AM
Congrats Kellyjo! Your sweater turned out great! Great color too!!!!

knitbebe
02-09-2006, 12:54 AM
Super cute. :heart: What a sweet dh to be anxious about your sweater!!

My gift to you and Mer for finishing your sweaters.

<@><@><@><@><@> (back flips!!)

knitbebe
(rowan)

kellyjo32
02-09-2006, 07:22 AM
Thanks you guys!! :D Yes, surprisingly, maybe because I'm still new at it, but my hubby loves the fact that I'm addicted to knitting! You're right mer, this pattern is definitely terrific! I love the yarn I picked too, and this is by far the best color ever! I :heart: orange!! That was half the reason I wanted to do this sweater, because the picture in the book was orange, and that's what attracted me to it, so of course I had to have it in orange! Although Mer, I really like your color too. It makes the sweater look sleeker (is that a word?!) You can't tell in the picture, but the yarn I used is fuzzy, so it's more like a super cozy sweater!!

tmsl
02-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Hi guys! I am a knitting newbie and have stayed with simple project up to this date. I love the sweater pics posted!! Such great shaping!!

A couple of questions, Kelly Jo-how many skeins of yarn did you use? I don't have the pattern yet, but have seen that book and may have to make a trip to BN. Is this completely knit in the round so there is no side seaming? Are the sleeves the same way? What size cirs are suggested?

Thanks, this may have to be my first sweater project as well.

Laura

kellyjo32
02-09-2006, 11:10 AM
I used almost all of 9 skeins of the Knit Picks Andean Silk, I had gotten 10, so I would have been okay. Yep, it was knit completely in the round, so no side seams. There are 10 stitches under each arm that have to be grafted together, but that was pretty easy. I don't have the pattern with me, but I think the needle size was 7, and I used an 11in circ for the sleeves and a 32in circ for the main body. I got my yarn the second week in Jan, so it went pretty quick too! Good luck if you decide to do it!!

tmsl
02-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the info!! I was looking at the Andean Silk & Silk Twist on Knit Picks site and love the color sunset. They say "to prevent pooling, alternate yarn from different balls every 2 or 3 rows." What exactly is pooling? Too much of one color in an area??

:thinking:

Laura

kellyjo32
02-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Yes, I assumed that is what they meant, in case the yarn colors were slightly off, although I had no problems with it.

knitbebe
02-09-2006, 12:31 PM
tmsl,
hope you don't mind me jumping in. Everything is knitted in the round, body & sleeves. The recommended circ. is 32in. in size 7. If you use a different yarn you may need another size--I'm using a size 6 needle. So, far it has been a good (1st sweater) pattern for me.

If you diecide to knite the hourglass you can get help/cheering here or check out the kal http://www.hourglass-knit-a-long.blogspot.com/

knitbebe

Andrea
02-09-2006, 01:00 PM
You guys are really convincing me that I need to knit this!! I :heart: the way it looks!! Great job!!! :cheering:

knitbebe
02-12-2006, 12:01 AM
Anyone working on on the sweater? I'm woking on the socks for the olympics kal. I'm mis working on my sweater :( . I'll appreciate hg even more after slaving over these socks!

knitbebe

kellyjo32
02-13-2006, 07:27 AM
Knitbebe, I've actually started on another sweater, although not the hourglass. It was so funny because I told my mom that if the sweater was too big, she could have it....according to her, my sweater is too big. She too is a huge orange fan, so she's got sweater envy right now. I'm making her one with Homespun, its so soft! My first crochet project was a homespun afghan, so I'm addicted to it's softness. Hopefully she'll like her sweater as much as she likes mine!
Keep us updated on your hourglass sweater!!

allegra918
02-15-2006, 11:49 AM
As you can see, I still haven't progressed on this sweater. I plan to devote all my knitting time this week to the sweater. I had planned to make a lot of progress when i went out of town this weekend, but then i knit a vday scarf for my DH...
i know, excuses excuses!

Mer
02-15-2006, 12:01 PM
That's your hourglass yarn? It's BEAUTIFUL! :inlove:

kellyjo32
02-15-2006, 01:06 PM
Oh my gosh, I :heart: that yarn!! What it is?

allegra918
02-15-2006, 04:31 PM
why thank you, i can't wait until it's a sweater!!!!

it's gedifra stripe, i :heart: it!!!

allegra918
02-17-2006, 11:46 AM
A very sad day in Hourglass news.....

check out my thread: Allegra's Blog

I can't even get myself to repeat the horror....

Once you've read it, any suggestions????

tmsl
02-22-2006, 11:17 AM
I finally purchased the book for the pattern and also bought some needles for the hourglass sweater. The 2 LYS did not have the shorter needle so I will need to buy that when I order the yarn from Knitpicks. Hopefully I will get started with this in March and it probably won't get worn until fall by the time I finish it. :rollseyes:

Allegra-your yarn is BEAUTIFUL. Hope you can work out the problems.

Laura

knitbebe
02-22-2006, 02:41 PM
tmsl,

which yarn are going to order from knitpicks? Don't love that book?!
Your going to love this sweater--it really is easy to knit. (This is my 1st sweater) I had put hg down for the sock olympics --but have picked it back up this week. :happydance:

knitbebe

tmsl
02-22-2006, 03:22 PM
I'm planning on ordering the Andean Silk Twist in Sunset. Those are sooo my colors. I'm a little leary of the varigated yarns as there website says to alternate balls every few rows, but it will be yet another learning experience for me. I bought some sock yarn and a book on knitting socks on two circulars last weekend when I got LMKG. I guess I will start on that until the Silk Twist comes.

I was also looking at Knitpicks sock yarn and that is more affordable than what I got over the weekend. I may have to switch to that if the socks turn out ok.

Thanks to all for advice on the sweater.

Laura

Andrea
02-23-2006, 10:10 AM
Thanks to all of your beautiful pictures, I have bought the book and the yarn!! :cheering:

kellyjo32
02-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Wow, that yarn is gorgeous!! I can't wait to see the FO! :D

allegra918
02-23-2006, 11:07 AM
Oh my, that yarn, Andrea looks delicious! i'll bet it will be hard to take the sweater off (once finished, of course!!)

Mer
02-23-2006, 11:14 AM
Yay Andrea! :cheering: That'll be beautiful!

Andrea
02-23-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm so excited to start! But I have to finish Tubey first!! Kelly is going to make one too, but she's doing it in black (same yarn as me)

Vendie
02-26-2006, 11:59 AM
I just talked my self into ordering Malabrigo for this sweater. I already bought some Cascade 220, but I'm not liking it for this sweater. I want something a little softer.

Anyway, I'm anxiously awaiting my malabrigo so I can start this sweater. :cheering: Can't wait to start.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-27-2006, 02:13 AM
just that yarn makes me want to join this KAL too!!!!!

Andrea
02-27-2006, 02:23 AM
DO IT HILDIE! :happydance:

AmandaC
02-27-2006, 04:52 AM
I've bought the book - just waiting for it to be delivered!

Then when I've finished Tubey, I will have a go at this too :D

Andrea
02-27-2006, 06:17 AM
Woo hoo Amanda!!! :cheering: :cheering:

AmandaC
02-28-2006, 09:28 AM
Right! I've got the book ... now yarn. :shock: Have no idea what to get :thinking: do I just find a worsted weight that I like? please help!

Also, I am worried about the size. I've measured my chest and I am 34. So do you recommend that I do the size 33 or 37. I don't want it to be too tight!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Andrea
02-28-2006, 10:20 AM
Right! I've got the book ... now yarn. :shock: Have no idea what to get :thinking: do I just find a worsted weight that I like? please help!

Also, I am worried about the size. I've measured my chest and I am 34. So do you recommend that I do the size 33 or 37. I don't want it to be too tight!

Thanks in advance for your help.

I think I would do the 37. I'm really bad at measuring and trying to figure out everything. I picked out my yarn because of two reasons: 1) I was with KellyK and she is much better at figuring out if it's the right gauge or not and 2) The yarn was 30% off at her yarn shop or else I wouldn't have gotten the Berroco!

I bet you could do it with something from KP for a decent price. Don't they have some sheeny looking yarn?

AmandaC
02-28-2006, 10:33 AM
I can't order from KP because i am in the UK and they don't ship internationally :(

I did find this -was looking for worsted/DK weight and thought this was quite nice (in sage) http://www.mcadirect.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/21_34_43/products_id/797
but this is cotton so don't know if it will be too heavy?

Mer
02-28-2006, 11:00 AM
Amanda, I'm a size 34 and I did the 33 size and it's a bit tight, so if you want it to be looser fitting I'd go with the 37. You just need to find a yarn with the same/similar gauge to the pattern's--I'm not sure how that cotton one you picked out compares (I don't have the pattern with me). I did mine in a cotton blend and it worked fine. 100% cotton might be a bit heavy but technically it could work.

Andrea
02-28-2006, 11:03 AM
:doh: I didn't see "UK" on your profile!!

I would think that cotton would be nice (and soft too!!), we'll see what everyone else says.

Oh and I'm so jealous you are in the UK, I'm sure you get asked this all the time, but are you near London? And do you love Robbie Williams? ( :inlove: )

AmandaC
02-28-2006, 11:16 AM
Andrea ..... do I love Robbie Williams???
:shock: :shock: :shock: :rofling: :roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard:

No one could love Robbie more than I do!! :inlove: I have a tatoo of him on my back! In just under 15 weeks I am going to see him in Dublin and then in September I am seeing him again in London.

I live in Maidenhead which is about 25 miles from London and I work in Windsor, right next to Windsor Castle .. in fact I saw Prince Philip last Monday - he was driving four horses and a trap!

I am going into London next friday for a night out :happydance: can't wait :D

Andrea
02-28-2006, 11:21 AM
Andrea ..... do I love Robbie Williams???
:shock: :shock: :shock: :rofling: :roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard:

No one could love Robbie more than I do!! :inlove: I have a tatoo of him on my back! In just under 15 weeks I am going to see him in Dublin and then in September I am seeing him again in London.

I live in Maidenhead which is about 25 miles from London and I work in Windsor, right next to Windsor Castle .. in fact I saw Prince Philip last Monday - he was driving four horses and a trap!

I am going into London next friday for a night out :happydance: can't wait :D
Oh I would LOVE to see your tattoo!!! I think I'm his biggest US fan and I wish he would tour here because I would give anything to see him! I love him so much and hardly anyone here knows him! My DH and I (I really got him into him as well) would be willing to travel anywhere in the US to see him... :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: I absolutely love British bands...I think I lived in the UK in a previous life. I :heart: Keane. I got to see them live in Las Vegas and it was absolutely the best show I've ever seen!!!

I had the privilege of visiting London in 2000 when my then boyfriend was living there for a year for fun. I loved it there. I would LOVE to go back!

Sorry to everyone about this OT topic but when I find a fellow Robbie fan I get sooooooo happy!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

jamadian75
03-02-2006, 02:31 AM
I have taken this book out from our local library no less than 5 times!!

WUV it!!

The picture in the book really doesn't do this sweater justice. I like the FO's I see on here so much that I'm going to have to join in and knit this one too (I'm really getting used to this knit something for myself thing...me likey :lol: )

Since I see recent posts, I hope you ladies will still be around so I can post progress shots and get help.

Stitch on!!

Andrea
03-02-2006, 05:28 AM
Jamadian, there will be plenty people around because we are sort of the "second wave"...I agree too, they are so much nicer in the pictures here than in the book! That's what sold me!

(I'm really getting used to this knit something for myself thing...me likey )

I'm going through this right now myself! I'm lovin it!

tmsl
03-02-2006, 10:36 AM
Just received my knitpicks order the other day and started the sweater. I only have an hour or so each night to knit so this may take awhile, but I can't wait to see it progress. Hopefully this weekend I will have more time to sit and knit.

Laura

Vendie
03-02-2006, 09:40 PM
I just got my Malabrigo in the mail today, so guess what I'm going to be doing this weekend :happydance:

Andrea
03-03-2006, 04:50 AM
I just got my Malabrigo in the mail today, so guess what I'm going to be doing this weekend :happydance:

:cheering: :cheering: You'll be finished in no time. I on the other hand have to finish Tubey and get more done on Einstein before I start with Hourglass

tmsl
03-08-2006, 10:00 AM
Did anyone find there are typos in this pattern while working on it? It seems like when it says to work from * it never gives the ending * for the repeat. I think I have figured it out but when I was working on the first increase, it did not clearly say which marker the repeat was to be done on. Since on the decreases you did them at each of the two markers, that is what I did for the increase. Is that correct? :thinking:

This is my first attempt at a sweater and it seems to be progressing very well. I am probably obsessing with the pattern, I just want it to come out correct.

Thanks for any tips.

Laura

Mer
03-09-2006, 02:09 PM
I don't have mine with me, so I'm not sure. There are corrections to the pattern here, if you have an old edition: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/book_corrections

tmsl
03-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Thanks, Mer!! That did help and what I did was correct, so maybe I can quit obsessing now.

:thumbsup:

Laura

knitbebe
03-14-2006, 12:21 AM
Just checking in to see who's working on hourglass. I've been out sick for 3 week!! Too sick to knit-- :( . But, am doing better and have started back on hourglass and completed 1 toe-up sock and (drum roll!!!) ordered some yarn from knitpicks for future projects.

So as you can see I am not wasting anytime--lots to catch up on. :D

I also plan to update my poor neglected blog. I'm also working on a new blog just to showcase my "Children's" paintings.

Anyone working on hourglass?

Knitbebe (rowan)

Andrea
03-14-2006, 04:36 AM
I will be working on mine when I leave for Florida next week!! A nice 20+ hour car ride!

knitbebe
03-14-2006, 11:11 AM
:thumbsup: I :heart: knitting in the car!

Great sweater for knitting in the car!

Have a great trip & Happy knitting!
knitbebe

AmandaC
03-14-2006, 11:27 AM
:thumbsup: I :heart: knitting in the car!

:crying: That would make me very ill ... I am not a good traveller! I can't even reach down into my bag let alone look into my lap without feeling bleuch!

I have the yarn for this but am doing a booga bag and a jumper for my son at the moment ... plus i ordered the wool for Starsky .... oh so many things to do and only two hands!

knitbebe
03-14-2006, 11:41 PM
I would go stir crazy it I couldn't do something while in the car (I have severe rls--so I must do something!)

I too. have way to many things on my plate. I just got an order in from knitpicks and am freaking out about all the planned projects. I'm just not a good yarn stasher (weird!!!!--I know).

I need a knitting therapist! :roflhard:

knitbebe

CateKnits
03-14-2006, 11:47 PM
I want to make this one, now, too. Gaaah!

Andrea
03-15-2006, 08:32 AM
I want to make this one, now, too. Gaaah!

:cheering: :cheering: jooooooooooooooin usssssssssssssssssss

tmsl
03-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Mine seems to be coming along nicely. I am 2" from placing stitches on the holders and starting the sleeves. Hopefully, I will start the first sleeve tonight. This is knitting up quick and so far so good on the measurements. I am a little nervous about attaching the sleeves and I am trying not to read too far ahead in the pattern and worrying ahead of time. It is silly as the sweater is for me, but I still want my first sweater to be a success.

Laura

knitbebe
03-15-2006, 06:22 PM
tmsl,
I'm right behind you. I'm going to try and put some knitting time in tonight and catch up!!! :lol:

knitbebe

tmsl
03-20-2006, 12:30 PM
I didn't get to knit much last week but did get started on the sleeves over the weekend. I wish I didn't have to work and could just knit, I am eager to see this put together.
:happydance:

Happy knitting.

Laura

knitbebe
03-24-2006, 02:07 AM
tmsl,
hourglass is moving slowly! BUt, on a postive note I counted my stitches and I was off by one!! woohoo--so I just added in an increase--now perfecto! The length is exactly as it should be!!

I amnow ready to divide for the yoke. But I was a cery sloppy knitter and pulled my stitc marker off (it was annoying--kept falling off) well it seems I'm gonna need to put markers back in place.

I am confused about the directions. Divide for yoke:
k5 (do I do this where my join marker should be ;) ) then
place the last 10 sts. worked on stitch holder (does this mean I knit 5 at join marker--stop---transfer next unworked stitches to holder) then knit to next 5 sts beyond next marker (is this marker directly across from join marker) in other words the where the side would fall?

Please ask for clarification if necessary--it's late and a too tired to be discussing this :roflhard:

Thanks,
knitbebe

Mer
03-25-2006, 12:31 AM
The placing on holder is a little confusing, basically you knit 5, and then put the last 10 stitches you just worked (they're on your right needle now) on the holder. That way your yarn is in the right place to continue on. Hmm, does that make sense? :??

knitbebe
03-25-2006, 02:01 AM
Oh!! mer you're the best!

I'm too grateful to even pretend to be embarrassed! :cheering:

Just one more question--***since I have totally gotten into thhe grove of knitting (((endless))) rounds that I have totally disregarded important things, such as marker***

????Was i suppose to start knitting 5 at the marker--that's what I did. I then transferred the 10 sts. from the right needle and placed on a holder.

I'm sure if I took a little quite time to reread directions--actually look at the work in progress, the construction what be self explanatory!!

Thanks again!
knitbebe

Mer
03-25-2006, 11:30 AM
Yep, you do that at both markers (your beginning and halfway ones) because you're making holes for the sleeves. Glad I could help! :D

rosefield
03-25-2006, 09:25 PM
Hello!
I read in a previous post that there are pattern corrections in the later edition(s) of the book for the hourglass sweater pattern , (Last Minute Knitted Gifts) Anyway, my question is how can I tell which edition I have? I looked in the front cover and it doesn't specify an edition.

Thanks for any advice!

Lisa

allegra918
03-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Well I have FINALLY cast the Hourglass on for the FOURTH and (better be) final time. I, yet again, didn't do the provisional cast on, I was too impatient. I did, however do my very first row not in the round (was too afraid i'd twist again), and then rounded up on the second row without any problems! I figured, it's going to be turned up anyway for the hem, so why not?
I'm not that far in, but I am so happy to be knitting this again....

(ask me in a while how happy i am knitting this neverending stockinette when you see the pool of drool next to my project. :roflhard: but it's the final outcome that matters right?!?!?!)

Mer
03-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Hello!
I read in a previous post that there are pattern corrections in the later edition(s) of the book for the hourglass sweater pattern , (Last Minute Knitted Gifts) Anyway, my question is how can I tell which edition I have? I looked in the front cover and it doesn't specify an edition.

Thanks for any advice!

Lisa

I'm not sure how to tell which one you have, but I just compared my pattern to the corrections online to make sure they were the same.

Allegra, can't wait to see yours! Your beautiful yarn will add interest to the boring stockinette, I'm sure.

knitbebe
03-27-2006, 01:50 AM
you tenacious knitter, you!!! Give yourself a Big pat on the back!!

yes it does get monotonous! but it's soothing most of the time--and yes it's all about fashion-baby!!

:thumbsup:
knitbebe

tmsl
03-27-2006, 10:10 AM
I'm working on my first sleeve and am at the point of starting increases. My decrease rows were longer by two inches than supposed to be and I don't know if I counted wrong or not. My body knitting was right on the money so I think my gauge should be fine. :thinking: Anyway, I am confused about how you join the first sleeve to the body. Can any of the "experts" (ie have finished already) explain this better than the pattern did?

I find that it has knitted up fast and is not boring but relaxing for me. If it turns out well, I may have to make more, later on.

Laura

Mer
03-27-2006, 10:38 PM
I'm working on my first sleeve and am at the point of starting increases. My decrease rows were longer by two inches than supposed to be and I don't know if I counted wrong or not. My body knitting was right on the money so I think my gauge should be fine. :thinking: Anyway, I am confused about how you join the first sleeve to the body. Can any of the "experts" (ie have finished already) explain this better than the pattern did?

I find that it has knitted up fast and is not boring but relaxing for me. If it turns out well, I may have to make more, later on.

Laura

I'm not sure about the length (you may want to make sure it isn't horribly long before connecting! It's easier to rip now before putting it all together.) but when you do attach the sleeves, it makes sense when you start. Just knit to the opening for the first sleeve, hold the sleeve (on the needles) in your left hand, hold the sweater (on the needles) in your right hand, and knit across the sleeve with the working yarn from the sweater. Your stitch holder on the sleeve should be directly across from the stitch holder on the body of the sweater. Does that make sense? That's assuming you don't knit left-handed, also.

knitbebe
03-28-2006, 12:55 AM
tmsl,
you are moving along! I need to get busy--I spend way too much time on the computer looking at what others have made!! :roflhard:

I completed the body of the sweater!!

Now the sleeves--I'm procastinating.
Mer, did you knit both sleeves at the same time using magic loop?

way to go tmsl! :thumbsup:

Thanks, mer for checking in on us! :waving:
knitbebe

tmsl
03-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Mer,

Are you knitting the stitches from the stitch holder on the sleeve to the stitches on the stitch holder from the body? I guess that is what I am confused about. Also, are you knitting the to parts together sort of like a 3 needle bind off??? Sorry for all the questions, this is first sweater and I am learning many new things.

Also, my measurement issue was when they said you should have 7 inches and knit from there to 12-1/2". I had 9" so I knit to 12-1/2" as it said so it shouldn't be too long. I'll be able to tell after the increase section if I am on target and if the problem was miscounting in the decrease section.

Thanks for your help!!!!

Knitbebe-quit procrastinating-catch up!!! ;)

Laura

Mer
03-28-2006, 11:32 AM
Mer,

Are you knitting the stitches from the stitch holder on the sleeve to the stitches on the stitch holder from the body? I guess that is what I am confused about. Also, are you knitting the to parts together sort of like a 3 needle bind off??? Sorry for all the questions, this is first sweater and I am learning many new things.

Laura

Nope, leave the stitches on the holders until the very end. You graft them together once you're done. You're only knitting stitches that are currently on the needles. I can't really explain it any better than to hold your sleeve on the left and the body on the right and knit across. Can anyone else clarify? :thinking:

tmsl
03-28-2006, 05:02 PM
Nope, leave the stitches on the holders until the very end. You graft them together once you're done. You're only knitting stitches that are currently on the needles. I can't really explain it any better than to hold your sleeve on the left and the body on the right and knit across.

Does knit across mean knit across the body? Do you knit one stitch a round or all at one time? That seems to be my confusion. I am going to a knitting group tonight and I hope someone can help, if my thoughts are still wrong.

Laura :??

knitbebe
03-28-2006, 06:11 PM
tmsl,
I'm glad you will be figuring this out before me! You'll be a pro by the time I get there.

I'm casting on my sleeves tonight!!!! Nothings stopping me. My dh & son will be having simple fare tonight!! cereal! :lol:

now that all I want to do is knit-I've been bombarded with request for artwork/ murals etc.--goodthing---considering my job in la. is gone since katrina---shouldn't kick a gift horse in the mouth. I'll just feed the guys cereal for every meal to make time for knitting! :rofling:

knitbebe

tmsl
03-29-2006, 10:10 AM
Ok, I think one of the knitting group members straightened me out on the sleeve thing. I should be ready to attach by this weekend if not before. I'll let you know how it goes. :shock:

Laura

Mer
03-30-2006, 12:28 AM
Hope it works out for you!

knitbebe
04-02-2006, 03:41 AM
I'm thinking of going down in size for the cast on of the sleeve---I used the correct co for my size body--but it was huge! Will this work out okay?

Also, I can't locate a size 12" needle for the sleeve---could I just use two 24" circs. (like when making socks) for the sleeves? If that's not the best solution I'll order a 12" circ. from somewhere.

Almost completed my art blog http://www.flutterbyart.blogspot.com/
and added a sketchbook blog--- http://www.rowansketchbook.blogspot.com/
so, come take a look--add commments & check out my self portrait with adorable son!

My knitting is suffering!!
Knitbebe

Mer
04-02-2006, 11:43 AM
I think that should be ok--you'll just have a different number of stitches around the yoke. :thinking: And I didn't use a 12" circ because those things are too hard for me to use. You can use any method of circular knitting that works for you for the sleeves.

allegra918
04-02-2006, 05:23 PM
Well, I am close to where I was when I had to frog this sweater the last time....... i can't wait to get past the body and on to the yoke or sleeves!

tmsl
04-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Yay! 1st sleeve is attached!!! 2nd sleeve is knitting much faster than the first and should be added as well. I can't wait to start knitting the whole thing as one item.

Thanks Mer for your suggestions.

Laura :XX:

knitbebe
04-05-2006, 10:59 PM
ready to start the sleeves--way behind you tmsl! But you're keeping me motivated!!

I posted a photo of my results so far--read about my gauge drama!
and check out my posted self portrait--okay it's not as sexy as keith urban but my son adds a spark! http://www.rowanknittingbliss.blogspot.com/

Also check out new stuff on http://www.flutterbyart.blogspot.com/
& My NEW blog of sketches--It's simple--just photos from my sketchbook. I will include paintings soon. http://www.rowansketchbook.blogspot.com/

knitbebe (Rowan) :XX:

tmsl
04-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Rowan~Your artwork is BEAUTIFUL!! I wish I was talented in that way, but I have other talents. DH and I have started collecting some art the last few years and my favorite is in our bedroom, so nice to look up at it when you wake up in the morning. :D

I have both of my sleeves connected now and have started knitting the whole thing with the raglan decreases. It seems to take so long to finish a round, compared to the sleeves!! When knitting, the second sleeve, I figured out why I was off on my measurements. For some reason at the beginning when you knit 10 rounds, I knit 20. :oops: At least I was keeping track with marks on my copy of the pattern, so I was able to duplicate that on the second sleeve, and now they will be the same. I may have been knitting and enjoying some wine at the same time??!? :blush:

I do hope to have this finished by next week sometime. I'll let you know how it finished up.

Laura

knitbebe
04-07-2006, 12:38 AM
:heart: Thank you! :heart: I hope to put more art on my sketchbook (blog)--it will be fun for me to see how my work has changed over the years. I have collected a couple of pieces (besides my on--& really enjoy them).

I'm so...!!!! :thumbsup: excited about your progress---You'll be modeling it soon! I'm going to devote less time to blogging (I have way to many eggs in the basket right now) & knit!!! :XX: :XX: .

Knitting is my zen (when all is going well ;) )

:cheering:
p.s. I'll be calling on you for help!! ;)
knitbebe

knitbebe
04-07-2006, 11:56 PM
tmsl--did you use the suggested length of 12" for your sleeve. I bought 16", since that was all they had. not working! :crying:

thanks,
knitbebe

tmsl
04-10-2006, 09:06 AM
Yes, I used the 12" as someone mentioned a bigger circumference may stretch the sleeve. They are NOT something most yarn shops carry and I ended up ordering from Patternworks. I did not get as much knitting in as I wanted this weekend, but I still hope to finish this week.

Mer-did you hem before you blocked or after???

Laura

Mer
04-10-2006, 10:18 AM
I hemmed before I blocked, but really, I didn't block. I just hand washed and laid flat to dry.

knitbebe, 16" would probably be too big. If you don't want to buy a 12", you can use dpns or magic loop (that's what I did).

tmsl
04-18-2006, 11:45 AM
I finished my Hourglass!!! :happydance:

But I also managed to turn allergies in to sinus infection so I haven't taken a picture yet. I will try to get to that this week now that the meds are kicking in. Being sick did give me plenty of knitting time, so not all bad!!!

Knitbebe-your up next!!

Laura

Mer
04-19-2006, 07:01 PM
Can't wait to see it! :D

tmsl
05-04-2006, 09:06 AM
http://members4.clubphoto.com/_cgi-bin/app.pl/albums/edit_album?id=4271504

Sweater finished! Let me know if you can't see it.

jamadian75
05-04-2006, 10:45 AM
http://members4.clubphoto.com/_cgi-bin/app.pl/albums/edit_album?id=4271504

Sweater finished! Let me know if you can't see it.

Can't See it.... :(

I got this -

Error
You do not have permission to access this album (4271504)

tmsl
05-04-2006, 01:19 PM
http://members4.clubphoto.com/laura1058208/4271504/owner-58cd.phtml

try it now???

jamadian75
05-05-2006, 02:42 PM
http://members4.clubphoto.com/laura1058208/4271504/owner-58cd.phtml

try it now???

Perfect!! :inlove: And what a gorgeous yarn! Is it as soft as it looks?

Great job.

tmsl
05-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Yes, it is soft. Knitpick Andean silk twist.

Thanks for looking!!! :thumbsup:

Laura