PDA

View Full Version : Straight knitting on circular needles?

MrTea
01-24-2006, 01:46 PM
I visited a new yarn store last night. I was looking to buy a new pair of #4's The lady there suggested I try the Addi Turbo needles. She said she does all her straight knitting on circular needles. I had never thought of doing that, but her arguments seemed sound. I played with them for a few hours last night and am still undecided. It seems like both methods have their advantages and disadvantages.

Does anyone else knit this way? If so, why do you prefer it? If not, why do you dislike this method?

JessicaR
01-24-2006, 01:56 PM
I noticed that circulars are easier to transport, plus btw, they are the only needles allowed on airplanes. But, I used to only use straight until someone suggested circulars. At first it was a pain to get the hang of it, but looking back I like it better.

BonnieM
01-24-2006, 02:00 PM
I use both circs and straights, depending on the project. The circs are great when you're knitting something large with tons of stitches. They help to distribute the weight of the project as it grows, and they hold more stitches. I use straights for smaller items, like a scarf. However, Santa brought me a new knitting chair for Christmas, and my straights tend to hit the arms, so I'll probably switch over to all circs at some point. Give 'em a whirl and see what you like best.

Julie
01-24-2006, 02:03 PM
I use circs for everything -- the only straights I ever use are DPNs, for swatches or i-cord. :D

brendajos
01-24-2006, 02:07 PM
i have never even owned a set of straight needles. my teacher got me on circs right away so i have never seen the need to go with anything else.

except for DPNs of course.

Jenelle
01-24-2006, 02:10 PM
I use both. I mostly have straights though, but hopefully I will get my Boye Needlemaster set and never have to worry about straights again :)

Mer
01-24-2006, 02:10 PM
I try to use circs as much as possible. I'm so used to circs that I often drop the left needle when I'm done with it--if I use straights I end up dropping it on the floor b/c I forget they're not attached and have to find it under the couch. ;)

Yvonne
01-24-2006, 02:29 PM
I can't remember the last time I used straights. I gave most of my straights to my daughters when I started using my Needlemaster, but even before I had that I used circs for everything. I think the main reason was because I do a lot of knitting in a wooden rocker that has arms, and the straights would bang on the arms of the chair and drive me crazy.

Jax3303
01-24-2006, 02:39 PM
Most of my knitting is done on circular needles. I only have 4 sets of straight single points and they rarely ever get used. I'll use DPN's, but not if I can help it.

MaryS
01-24-2006, 02:52 PM
I still have all my straights, but these days I knit mostly with my circs.

I'm in LUV :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: with my Denises (yes I :heart: you too, foldedbird!), and use those whenever I can. Right now I'm using one pair of my straights for a sweater with the ribbing on Size 3. The body is on size 5, so I'll be able to switch to Denises when the ribbing is done. I WISH the Denises went smaller than 5.

I still use my dpns especially for size 0 to size 5 for socks, but for anything larger than that I'll use two circs from my Denises.

Happy Knitting :XX: :XX: (circ, straight or dpn!)

Mary

Silver
01-24-2006, 02:55 PM
I will use circulars over straights every time. If I HAVE to use straights for some reason, I will, but only after a decent amount of whining has been done.

Pixywhispers
01-24-2006, 03:02 PM
I read that circs were easier for traveling and they surely are. With straights I had to sit just right in the truck. But the first time I used circs I remember thinking "I wanna go home and get my straights." But I didnt, I got used to them real quick and now I could never go back. My ten year old dd loves straights so I've kept them around. I wouldnt buy another pair.

Circs also distribute the weight better on my hands. I never ever have sore hands with circs. And you can't loose one needle! I love that! And they rarely get bent or broken. :) Cause they are too short.

Candace

jessi_9783
01-24-2006, 03:06 PM
I only have one pair of straights and I don't ever use them. I don't own any DPNs either. I use circs for everything because I'm in a wheelchair and the straights always hit my armrests. Plus if I drop a needle there might not be anyone around to pick it up on me and that just sucks. Besides Denise's and Addi Turbos are the best needles ever, IMO, and they don't come in straights. Isn't that reason enough to convert to circs for all knitting not just for flat?

CarmenIbanez
01-24-2006, 04:55 PM
I have a few pairs of short straights that I like to use for narrow projects. But I like circs for most projects.

tab
01-24-2006, 05:27 PM
I haven't used straights since I got my Needlemaster set. They're so much easier on my wrists than using straights, and with two parents who have carpal tunnel I don't need any more encouragement than that.

Ingrid
01-24-2006, 07:58 PM
Because I love Addis so much, I almost always use them for everything. The only exception is if I'm making something really small, or I need a needle that's pointer than the Addi.

Angelia
01-24-2006, 08:29 PM
If the pattern doesn't call for dpns, then I use circs. They're so much easier to knit with for several reasons: they don't require much space on each side of me, the position of the knitting on the needle (towards the lap rather than hanging out to the side) is comfy, and my hands don't hurt as much when I use them.

nicolethegeek
01-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Most of the time I prefer using my circs. I have found that even the weight of a dishcloth nearing completion can drag down the side of a straight, a problem I never have with my circs. I also like how you can never lose "one needle" since they are attached. I just need to come up with a good storage plan other than the ziplock bags they come in that kinks the cord back up after I've unkinked it. :??

Angelia
01-24-2006, 08:46 PM
Find a way to clip one end to a clothes hanger, or find something to drape them over.

Ingrid has some kind of something that hangs them according to size; she's got about 50 million circs...contact her!

brendajos
01-24-2006, 09:20 PM
try this (http://www.knitpicks.com/tools/tools_display.aspx?itemid=80028) for storing your circs! (of course order it by clicking through this site! ;) )

Jeremy
01-24-2006, 09:40 PM
I especially like circs because its a lot less likely that the knitting will fall off the needles, all I really have to do when I put them down is to slide the knitting on to the cable. (I still use point protectors though)

BinkyKat
01-24-2006, 09:52 PM
I use longer circs for blankets, etc. - things that require a lot of room for stitches. Makes it nice when you want to cap the ends and lay the WIP on the floor and assess my progress. I also use straights for small to med sized projects. I have some 7 inch chubby ones for scarves in a range of sizes and several bamboo and aluminum straights in scads of sizes in 10 inch and 14 inch.
I use 'em all! :thumbsup:

Angelia
01-24-2006, 11:27 PM
try this (http://www.knitpicks.com/tools/tools_display.aspx?itemid=80028) for storing your circs! (of course order it by clicking through this site! ;) )

YES! That's what Ingy has!!

nicolethegeek
01-24-2006, 11:46 PM
My problem is that something like that hanger thingy will be an irresistable magnet for my kids... particularly the 2 year old and the nearly 4 year old. I have a hard enough time keeping my needles in a project, let alone keeping them organized! :roflhard:

Angelia
01-25-2006, 07:47 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard:

I know what you mean--here, they'd be cat toys!