PDA

View Full Version : Neat Knitting

kbrown84
01-24-2006, 03:34 PM
First, I would like to apologize if this question has already been asked and answered. But, I am a beginner and I have not made any major mistakes while knitting, but I have two small problems.

Problem #1 is that when I bind off, the last loop is always really large and I struggle to tighten it and make it look like all of the other stitches. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what I should do?

Problem #2 is that the edges of my piece look sloppy. When I knit scarves they are perfect, but my edges do not look good on a baby blanket. I have tried the Maggie Righetti way of tightening the first stitch before knitting the row, and I have tried knitting or purling in the back of the first stitch of each row (which has helped in some pieces, but not in others). I have never tried slipping the first stitch of every row which almost seems like a good idea.
I welcome any suggestions and lessons that any of you more experienced knitters would like to give me.
I just hate it when I spend so much time on a blanket and my edges look really bad. Actually, one side looks perfect and the other side looks sloppy.
I thank you in advance for your responses.

blueeyes28
01-24-2006, 03:38 PM
slipping the first stitch works for me so far but I havent done any seeming yet.

Darhain
01-24-2006, 06:34 PM
Watch Amy's video for demoing a small project. I believe it is under Advanced Techniques. She takes you through a whole (teeny, tiny) piece from cast on to bind off AND she deals with how to get around that last, HUGE loop. (She knits it with the stitch in the row below it. Easier to understand when you see it, though.)

kbrown84
01-25-2006, 09:49 PM
Thank you very much. The video really helped.