PDA

View Full Version : The Best Brand of DP's

Lady M
01-24-2006, 09:38 PM
What is the best brands of Double pointed needles?

I bought a whole set of Dp's called Surina "fine wood" needles
and started using them on a sleeve of a baby sweater and
the size 6 needles are already spliting and I just bought them.

I am not happy them and am going to try and get my money back.

What is the best brand of DP's 5" to buy ?

Anne

kitkat
01-24-2006, 10:30 PM
I have used brit birch and clover bamboo, no problems with those so far.

brendajos
01-24-2006, 10:36 PM
meeeee too!! and i have used the metal boyes too with no problems. the lion ones are okay but not my favorite....and if i am going to pay the lion needle price i would rather get some wood ones. :rollseyes:

nicolethegeek
01-24-2006, 11:28 PM
When using a heavy wool I prefer my metal dpn's, but if we're talking about bamboo, I :inlove: love :inlove: my SR Kertzer ones. They are smooth like silk and run through your fingers and your wool like butter.

Danielle
01-24-2006, 11:30 PM
I like clover bamboo. :thumbsup:

feministmama
01-24-2006, 11:53 PM
Lover bamboo for real wool, el cheapo metal or plastic ones for acrylic.

JessicaR
01-25-2006, 12:46 AM
I've been doing my baby socks on Boye metal with no problems but ordered Clover bamboo ones that should arive soon.

KellyK
01-25-2006, 01:08 AM
I REALLLLLY love my Crystal Palace bamboo DPNs....I prefer them to Clover.

Denise in Michigan
01-25-2006, 01:39 AM
Kelly, I'm with you in preferring Crystal Palace DPNs to Clover. Clover tips are too blunt, especially for projects calling for size 6 and under.

Sara
01-25-2006, 01:50 AM
I really like the Bryspun dpns. They have nice, scooped tips for sticking into stitches.

KellyK
01-25-2006, 08:41 AM
Scooped? :?? How so?

Silver
01-25-2006, 09:59 AM
Yeah, Bryspun are great, especially for lace work. I like Crystal Palace's quality over Clovers, but honestly I have needles in all sorts of brands. Bamboo and metal alike and I like them all. I've never had any splitting or breaking problems. :??

Kelly, bryspun tips are shaped so they're just a tiny bit concave. Very nifty for grabbing tiny stitches!

knitncook
01-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Another Crystal Palace fan but I did feel some Addi's that are bamboo that were ultra smooth. Very nice, but for the price, I'd prefer the Crystal Palace. I have metal, plastic, bayleen (sp? and please don't tell me they are made from whales - they were a gift), and different bamboo ones and I tend to knit with my bamboo the most.

Bamboo will not split like wood will. This is why bamboo spoons are sturdier than wooden spoons and why bamboo chopsticks will outlast wooden chopsticks. Bamboo doesn't grow in the same way that wood does so it won't split or break like wood does. That's not to say that you can't snap a bamboo needle in two, but it won't splinter apart like wood.

kitkat
01-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Where can you buy the Crystal Palace and the Brysons?????? Being as how I NEED to make sure I try every gadget and toy there is out there!

I forgot, I have some "chiao goo" (sp) ones that I got from Carole and they are nice too. They are also bamboo.

Denise in Michigan
01-25-2006, 02:35 PM
Kitkat, a LYS in your area should carry Crystal Palace. I'd save some leg work and call around. They're also available online at lots of sites, but then you have to pay shipping.

Denise in Michigan
01-25-2006, 02:36 PM
Kitkat, a LYS in your area should carry Crystal Palace. I'd save some leg work and call around. They're also available online at lots of sites, but then you have to pay shipping.

ebrperk
01-25-2006, 04:44 PM
I also like the Crystal Palace and the Clover. I also have a set of Plymouth ones that I like too.

humblestumble
01-25-2006, 07:36 PM
these are my DREAM dpns :)

http://www.lanternmoon.com/DPN.asp

gimmesanity
01-25-2006, 08:22 PM
I use Clover and Fiddlesticks. Fiddlesticks are my fave, but I've only found them in my LYS.

I've use Boye metal ones. I"m not crazy about them, but they do the job.

PurlyGyrl
01-26-2006, 04:37 PM
Quick Hijack! :waving: Hi to Denise in Michigan from a Denise in Tennessee