PDA

View Full Version : Day 5 of this headache

JessicaR
01-25-2006, 01:06 AM
I'm on day 5 of this headache that I can't shake. I've taken everything under the sun and tried everything. But now, I'm smelling things, weird things. I think I'm going nuts. And before you say it, no I'm not pregnant.

humblestumble
01-25-2006, 01:07 AM
where's the pain coming from?

You can try rubbing your 'temples' or pressing them. There's a sinus cavity there.

You can also try pressing in the middle of the winged area between your index finger and your thumb. that can release headaches too.

I'd say, if it's been this long, try to make it to a doctor when you can. *hug*

JessicaR
01-25-2006, 01:09 AM
Above my eyes/sitting on the bridge of my nose and the back of my head.

humblestumble
01-25-2006, 01:10 AM
oh it's got to be a sinus head ache. Press firmly on your eyebrows and on the top of your cheek bones - underneath your "eyes' bags", also, the same areas I listed as above. Oh yea, and also along the sides of your nose. It may hurt/ feel uncomfortable, but it's to help release sinus pressure.

Taking a decongestant could be good for you too if you haven't tried it yet.

JessicaR
01-25-2006, 01:12 AM
If it's sinus, why can I still smell stuff?

humblestumble
01-25-2006, 01:13 AM
you could still smell stuff even if it's a sinus headache. Doesn't mean your nose has to be clogged up. All the mucus is stuck up in your cavities. You have sinus cavities all over your face. Above your eyebrows. Under your eyes, on the sides of your head...

http://cfcenter.stanford.edu/sinus-graphic.gif

applying firm pressure, and gliding motions over those areas can help with sinus headaches. It may not go away at first, but it can help a great deal. And the decongestant can help all that stuff to become unclogged.

I'm not a doctor, but my mom's helped me out with this stuff all my life, and my massage class - learning facial massage has helped.

If it still doesn't go away soon, I'd still try to see a doctor.

ecuzzacrea
01-25-2006, 01:15 AM
oh man - that stinks. i hope you can shake it soon.

i ALWAYS get headaches - at least every day - and i can't stand it. :(

Sara
01-25-2006, 01:16 AM
I'm with h/s, try an otc sinus tablet. And then I suggest calling the doctor and making an appointment. You really shouldn't screw around with a headache that has lasted this long.

JessicaR
01-25-2006, 01:17 AM
I just think it's a brain tumor. There's like this playdo, soap, friut smell in this room. The kitchen has this musty smell I've been all over trying to locate.

humblestumble
01-25-2006, 01:19 AM
yea, Because it may not be sinuses, but that's my first guess - totally. But if it has stayed this long, I wouldn't let there be a chance for infection to settle in if it is that. It just really sounds like a sinus headache to me. Abou the back of the head, I'm not sure about that. But I know that you have two muscles back there - ocipitalus , and everything's connected throughtout your body.

JessicaR
01-25-2006, 01:19 AM
Well, hate to say it, I have to deal with it by myself. We have no health insurance.

humblestumble
01-25-2006, 01:20 AM
A brain tumor? :shock:

And yea, I dont have health insurance either, but do try the things I suggested. They may help you ;) I don't want you to have to suffer

I edit my posts a lot too, I got into this bad habit...

Jenelle
01-25-2006, 01:26 AM
:( Headachs are horrible.. I have them all the time, but I found out why(constant ear infections, and the wisdoms are growing in).

I hope your headach goes away soon. And I agree with humblestumble that it is a sinus infection and that you get to the doctor soon. I hope you get better!! :pray:

Sara
01-25-2006, 01:29 AM
Crap. We lived for years w/o health insurance, too. Okay, start with the small stuff and try to treat it as a sinus deal. Decongestant, steam, drink lots of water and uncaffeinated tea.

Pain in the back of the head is still consistent with sinuses.

One item to note: Pain relievers can cause bounce back headaches, so if you use a LOT of Tylenol or Advil, that could be aggravating your noggin.

I'm sorry that you're in pain. :heart: :heart: Try to get some rest.

humblestumble
01-25-2006, 01:31 AM
One item to note: Pain relievers can cause bounce back headaches, so if you use a LOT of Tylenol or Advil, that could be aggravating your noggin.

I'm sorry that you're in pain. :heart: :heart: Try to get some rest.

True. My massage teacher just got gout from taking too many Tylenol too, and I think it's banned in another country.

JessicaR
01-25-2006, 01:32 AM
I found some sinus tabs. I could be getting a bounce back from all the Excedrine Migraine I've been taking. I'll lay down and try those face massage technics tonight.

humblestumble
01-25-2006, 01:36 AM
yeay! I hope it gets better soon! Headaches are a PITA, and we need to keep knitting :) and living, of course.

Jillie
01-25-2006, 02:08 AM
Hi Knitsters! This is my first post; I just discovered the site a few nights ago. It's a great help and inspiration for a new knitter like me! Working on my first real project...an afghan in a block (medium basketweave) for my first grandbaby :D :heart:

For JessicaR~ I also suffer with severe headaches at times, and believe it or not rubbing Ben Gay on my temples and across my forehead, or the back of my neck helps relieve the pain more than anything. I hope it helps.

JessicaR
01-25-2006, 02:56 AM
Interesting :thinking:

nicolethegeek
01-25-2006, 09:15 AM
I just think it's a brain tumor.
:roflhard: All I hear is AH-nold saying... "No, it's not a tumor!" {Kindergarten Cop} :roflhard:

Sorry about the pain tho... I get some nasty headaches myself and it's not fun trying to deal with toddlers or even adults when you're suffering.

dustinac
01-25-2006, 09:35 AM
I battle sinus headaches all the time.. You might have to end up going to the dr. if you are like me and don't like going to the dr. LOL I know the feeling.. Over the summer they got to the point I couldn't lift my head up I fought them every day for 3 mos before I went to the dr. ... They gave me a nasal spray and then some kind of sinus pill.. they did help alot... they are something else and do feel alot like a migrane I know they shut me down for awhile and dh missed work... I go back on the 30th to see how I'm doing... which is better except for the major changes in the weather this season that will set me back a day or two.... I hope you feel better soon and get some relief...

Darhain
01-25-2006, 09:42 AM
Get thee a neti pot. If you have recurrent sinus issues, you'll be SOOOO glad you did! (Google "neti pot" and you can find all kinds of information about it as well as places to purchase.)

Also, if you have a local health food or natural health store, you might try Alpha SH by Boericke & Tafel. It's a natural, homeopathic remedy for sinus headache and congestion. No bounce back headaches, non drying so you won't get that awful "stripped out" feeling, safe to take even if you're taking other medications, and very effective.

Hope you feel better soon!

koolbreeze
01-25-2006, 10:27 AM
wow no health insurance!! how do ya'll do it. i have to many kids not to have heath insurance!
sounds like a tension headache if its also in the back of your neck. try the Excedrine Tension HEadache?
have you tried the clinic?

Kirochka
01-25-2006, 10:41 AM
I also get sinus headaches - I had an MRI done on my sinuses and learned that I have a deviated septum and really small sinus cavities, so that when they get even slightly swollen they press into the bone and bingo! Pain.

I was given a spray, can't remember what now - Nasacort I think - but I've stopped using it because the headaches have actually subsided a bit. I use an Entsol bottle http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=79270&catid=47602 because I had a hard time getting a neti pot to work right, just with regular water mixed with a little kosher salt, plus when the headaches hit I take ibuprofen and Sudafed together.

I hope you find something that works!

dustinac
01-25-2006, 10:49 AM
Thanks for posting about the Neti pot and Enstol bottle.. I'm gonna look into those too.. I know I didn't really wanna go on the spray for fear it would become addictive but was promised it wouldn't and didn't... Its my right side that is swollen up so usually on the back of your head where you normaly have a little rise it sweels up and is so painful then goes to my neck so the dr thought it was tension to but its not all sinus blahhhh....

I talk to my parents every evening on the phone and somedays my dad will say ohhh its your voice again and then others days I get ohh you sound like Miss Piggy again... thanks dad :oops: :lol:

kitkat
01-25-2006, 11:09 AM
Sounds to me like its your ethmoid sinuses in the back of your head.

My son and I both use this

http://www.unimedprod.com/index.shtml

They carry it at walgreens, or you can order it online in a variety of places. It has been the biggest help.

sfavereau
01-25-2006, 02:03 PM
wow no health insurance!! how do ya'll do it.

You know, I had health insurance my whole life and have only ever used it for the gyno (to refill my bcp Rx). I quit my job and moved to Colorado Springs and lost the health insurance. DH is self-employed so we have no health insurance now. It was scary at first, and I know we need to eventually get some.

But on the other hand, I'm absolutely TERRIFIED of drs. I literally have 170/120 bp at the drs office! My heartrate goes up to 120 as well. It always freaks them out and I'm really surprised that I'm not on bp meds. I can't even get near a bp cuff or anything medical related without my heartrate going up, getting sweaty palms, and hyperventillating.

So..... I guess not having insurance is an excuse not to go to the dr.... ;)

But, as far as a headache goes, I've had a sinus infection and the pain is absolutely horrendous and NOTHING will take it away. I was too terrified to go to the dr and dealt with it myself, but I ended up with about a month of headaches (of and on).

MrTea
01-25-2006, 02:49 PM
Sounds like it could be a sinus infection. That could turn out to be serious if you ignore it. I'd go see the doctor if I were you. A headache for five days is a sign that something is wrong.

Paying out of pocket for a doctor's visit can be affordable, as long as they don't do any lab work. Your doctor should be able to make an educated guess on wether or not you have an infection, without having to order any tests.

Simple antibiotics are generally pretty cheap.

Jeremy
01-25-2006, 04:55 PM
Your symptoms could also be from a migraine http://www.migraine-aura.org/EN/Olfactory_Symptoms.html. However, I am with Mr. Tea. I think you ought to bite the bullet and see a doctor. If you think it is your sinuses, this sounds bizzare but does work: hang your head from the edge of your bed, put in decongestant nose drops and let them settle in for ten minutes or so. Then go take a hot steamy shower.

Ingrid
01-25-2006, 08:16 PM
Go to the doctor. They understand the bp thing. If it is an infection, it will only get worse. You can pay them $5 a month, if necessary, and they can't do anything.

NesanelRose
01-26-2006, 12:31 AM
It sounds to me that you might have a layer headache. Primarily sinus and maybe some tension in the back. Also, you mentioned you took Excedrine and being a migrane sufferer, I can outright tell you that's the worst headache medicine you can take for any sort of headache, especially if it's sinus caused.

I find that Motrin sinus is the best medicine because it doesn't knock me out like all other medicines with Pseudophedrine and that other wierd med that gives terrible fatigue.

Since it seems like a sinus headache, and possibly an infection, whatever you do, do not sniff. Try and blow your nose whenever you can. Take decongestants, and try drinking some Green Tea with some local honey. Most sinus headaches are caused by allergies of the area, and supposedly if you eat local honey at least twice a week, you'll start to develop a sort of immunity to the local allergins.

A number of different things, like different sorts of smells and such, can also cause migranes, and even a small headache can turn into a fullblown migrane. You really might want to look into a doctor to try and get some medication that might prevent such a headache from lasting so long.

You also can go to one of those walk-in clinics if you don't have insurance and get yourself checked out there too. It won't be as much as if you went to a personal doctor, and you might get some antibiotics to get rid of the infection if it really is one. Sinus infections can be really serious and lead to bronchitus and to other complications that can result as not getting an infection treated.

I also find that lavender eye pillows in a dark room help alot too, but alot of others tell me it makes them worse, so it's a hit and miss. Thought I'd mention it though.

Good luck and I hope you feel better!

Jan in CA
01-26-2006, 12:59 AM
I suggest getting your blood pressure checked, too. There was an article in the latest Reader's Digest that said some headaches could be caused by high BP. I didn't even think about till I read the article that since I"ve been taking BP meds I don't really get headaches anymore! :shock:

Ellen Edwards
01-27-2006, 07:37 AM
Lots of good info here!! I've had headaches since I was about 16. A lot of them were sinus headaches, and I had a deviated septum, and had surgery for it. It did nothing to help my headaches. I can remember when my kids were in grammar school, I once had a headache for 17 days. Even after I went to the ER and got a shot, it still nagged for days. Finally a doctor "diagnosed" them as cluster headaches--not really a migraine. I didn't have the nausea and the "auras" that go with migraines. But headaches can steal so much of your life!!!! I hope you can get some relief soon---it hurts so much, and can be so disabling. :(

koolbreeze
01-27-2006, 10:38 AM
and also, i don't know if you are taking other meds but they can have headaches as a side effect. i know when i was on birth control the first time i had bad headaches and had to stop taking them...

JessicaR
01-29-2006, 12:56 AM
I went off my bc pills hoping it would help. Well, today was rough, we had rain all day and I could just feel it sitting on my eyes the second I woke up. I think the back of my head is a tension headache. I was diagnosed with those about 2 years ago but what the heck can you do for them. I can't remove all the stress in my life. I tried going to massage therapy once a week but that got too expensive. I may try the NeilMed Sinus stuff, the Netipot scares me.

Jan in CA
01-29-2006, 01:09 AM
OMG I just saw your sig message. and it's hilarious!

Dear Lord,
I pray for:
Wisdom, To understand a man.
Love, To forgive him and;
Patience, For his moods.
Because, Lord, if I pray for Strength...

I'll just beat him to death.

glomper
01-29-2006, 04:06 AM
I don't know exactly how the medical system works in your Country but if I am unsure whether it is worth seeing a Doctor about something I sometimes ask at the Chemist/Pharmacy? and speak to the Pharmasist and ask his/her advice or I pop in to my regular Doctor's surgery/practice and ask to see the nurse. You might also want to try a Naturpath. If you go to the Doctor about sinuses they will probably give you antibiotics and or a nasal spray. I have chronic sinuses and seasonal hayfever and find that if I get a sinus infection after a cold I ususally have to resort to antibiotics. At other times I inhale peppermint or euculuptus essential oils, drink plenty of fluids including cool water and hot herbal teas.
Sometimes you can flush out the gunk that builds up in your nose by just snorting salty water in and out of your nostrils. Sometimes rubbing a little lavender oil on your temples can help with headache.
However, if you are having other symptoms like strange smells, etc, it probably is best that you see a Doctor.
Hope you feel better soon

MrTea
01-29-2006, 01:13 PM
the Netipot scares me.

It scares you!? Do you want to feel better or not? Netipots work great and they are drug/chemical free. My mom swears by them. They cause no pain, what could you possibly be afraid of?

My mom was an avid golfer for many years, she eventually had to quit because her allergies were so bad. She discovered Netipots about a year ago and now she golfs every weekend again.

Seems to me like you would want to try something harmless like a netipot, BEFORE turning to drugs.

mks22300
01-29-2006, 03:00 PM
I hope your headache gets better soon! I get sinus headaches all the time due to allergies (I actually have one right now!). The non-percription claritin doesn't seem to be helping much anymore so I think I'm going to need something else soon.
I know you don't have any health insurance, but if it's a sinus infection you really should have it checked out. I don't get them a lot, but the last one I had, I could barely do anything and to bend over for something was agony, it felt like my head was going to explode.