PDA

View Full Version : Buy before you try?

mouldydc
01-25-2006, 07:55 AM
Is it a silly idea to buy yarn before you know what you want to make?

Many peeps have assured me that i'll probably be okay buying on ebay, so I looked.

There are 5 skeins of Noro Blossom for 20, and 6 or Debbie Bliss Cathay for 12. They both look devine, but I wouldn't know what to do with them.

Should I just sstash 'em, because they're good value and gorgeous and some day I might need them!

KellyK
01-25-2006, 08:33 AM
I think LOTS Of knitters accumulate stash that way. They find something that's a good buy and/or that they just cant live without :inlove:

I, personally, have SOMETHING in mind when I buy yarn. Not saying it always works out as I planned.....

Maybe you should buy THIS bunch just to test out what kind of stasher you are! :thumbsup:

Did I mention we are also a bunch of enablers?? :twisted:

kitkat
01-25-2006, 08:33 AM
Not to be an enabler, but YES! YES! If the price is good and its pretty and you might need it, YES!

Seriously, I am to the point where I am trying to have at least an idea of a project in mind before I buy. This is superbowl sunday sale weekend at LYS - I really should STAY AWAY!

Debbie
01-25-2006, 08:34 AM
It is ok to buy yarn just to touch or look at. If you have to justify it for a while, until it tells you what to make .... put it in a pretty basket and call it decor :)

nicolethegeek
01-25-2006, 08:54 AM
I will often buy yarn that calls to me. Even if I have no idea what I want to make with it. If it's really pretty, I'll leave it on my desk and pet it for a while. Usually after a few days/weeks/months, it decides that it's had enough petting and it wants to be made into something. Then it tells me what it wants to be.

:?? Isn't that what everyone does? :?? :roflhard:

mouldydc
01-25-2006, 09:00 AM
I did it, you crazy bunch of enablers! :happydance:

But i stuck to only the two lots - I very VERY nearly bought a sale lot of DB Maya in :heart: gorgeous :heart: deep red. I refrained, because I'm going to have a hard enough time explaining the mysterious 36.50 charge to my boyf!

Lots of it to play with, and a very lovely lady seller for future bargain buys!

Oh, happy happy day. :balloons:

KellyK
01-25-2006, 09:19 AM
:cheering: GLEEEEEEEE!!! :cheering:

Amber
01-25-2006, 10:59 AM
Woo Hoo :cheering:

Danielle
01-25-2006, 11:24 AM
:cheering: :thumbsup:

I buy yarn all the time without knowing what I'm going to make, I just buy what I like and figure out the project later! :thumbsup:

mouldydc
01-25-2006, 11:38 AM
I think we might've unleashed a demon.
:twisted:
Now, everything I win at my Bingo and pub quizzes (and we win a lot) will go straight into my "Buying from Lorraine off of e-bay" piggybank!

DannahK
01-25-2006, 12:03 PM
I know I am a monster yarn buyer. I'll see a good deal on some and think... I'll make something... or I'll get this because I bet it'll felt nice, and now I have a whole storage crate full of "unassigned" yarn. That way... if I happen to pick up a magizine, I just happen to have some yarn...