PDA

View Full Version : Felted Ipod Cozy from KP anyone?

boyforpele13
01-25-2006, 01:49 PM
i already ordered it with my WOTA stuff, but wondering if anyone has this already. the regular size ipod is pictured, but was curious if the smaller sizes were included also. thanks! :)

Cristy
01-25-2006, 09:56 PM
haven't tried it but have been looking for a good pattern so you'll have to let me know how it goes....

NesanelRose
01-26-2006, 12:08 AM
I haven't seen the particular pattern, but I wouldn't think it would be too hard to resize or compensate. :D

Heck, making your own pattern isn't that difficult either, if things don't turn out right. I ended up getting a RAZR cell for christmas and was having a heck of a time trying to find a case for it and just ended up knitting a cozy by just measuring my work on my phone. :)

boyforpele13
01-26-2006, 12:11 AM
i was kinda thinking that too, just using the pattern for a base. but then i thought, do i want to bother knitting a felted cozy for a teensy weensy nano anyway? yeah, i think i do. ;) it's really for a friend's big one anyway, so no loss either way. thanks! :)

Cristy
01-26-2006, 12:47 AM
this is going to sound random...I saw a great ipod case on someone's blog--I didn't try it but someone else on the board did and said it came out great. I love it b/c it includes a pocket for the ear buds--it's not felted though. If you want to search for it (this is the random part) google the words chocolate vodka and ipod or just go to this link:

http://chocnvodka.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2005/8/26/1172247.html

boyforpele13
01-26-2006, 12:50 AM
that is cute!!! lion has a similar one at their site using microspun that i tried briefly, only sans pocket, but that would be easy enough to add. the socks like that direct from mac are like $30 or something ridiculous.

ecuzzacrea
01-26-2006, 01:27 AM
i have a little nano too and i'd be interested in a pattern for it!

Cristy
01-26-2006, 07:46 AM
yah--I don't do the socks from apple...I made a sock for my sil of my own design for Christmas but it was the ugliest thing ever--the guage was all wrong--it didn't fit the ipod snugly enough. :(

RachelJean
01-26-2006, 09:55 AM
That looks cute - I think I'll make it for my DD's Ipod. Just what I need ... another reason to go to the Knitpicks website. :rollseyes:

jessi_9783
01-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Nano owners/knitters unite!!! I should have my nano back soon. I'm having it colorwared (http://www.colorwarepc.com/content.aspx?id=51). The body is 'Smoke' and the clickwheel, sides, and back is 'Cotton Candy'. I'm going to try and adapt the chocolate vodka sock for the nano. I'm not sure if I will be successful because I've never adapted a pattern before but I'm gonna give it a shot.

MrTea
01-26-2006, 07:03 PM
I knit a cozy for my nano, I didn't use a pattern. Just made it up as I went.

I used bulky silk yarn, cast on 7 st (about the width of a nano, adjust depending on yarn/gauge) on #7 needles and knit garter stitch until it was long enough to fold over itself and fit the nano inside. Then cast off, fold it onto itself, stitch up the sides and turn it right side out. It ends up being the same shape as the little pleather case it comes with, only thicker and more protective.

But, honestly don't waste your time, this thing...
http://matias.ca/ipodarmor/index4.php

is way better than anything knittable and it's not to expensive. I have one and it is GREAT. it's only a hair larger than the nano itself, it's practically indestructible and provides serious protection without blocking any of the controls.

jessi_9783
01-26-2006, 07:33 PM
I have the iSkin Duo (http://www.iskin.com/duo_nano/features.html) case for when I'm going out. It's a great case. I have it in Blush Rush. It even glows in the dark.

boyforpele13
01-26-2006, 08:14 PM
mrtea, too funny! i ordered that on ebay same time i ordered the nano! glad to read good reviews! :) I just wanted the felted thing for fun really, virtually useless.

I LOVE the Iskin Duo, but I am just so not willing to pay that at the moment. I read the nanos nick pretty easily, so I went with something fast and cheap. I near had a coronary just buying the nano even getting $100 off on it. i got a silicone skin and that metal armor plus screen protectors and an armband for less than half of what the Duo goes for on ebay. of course, no cute little apple logo, but hey, rubber is rubber. Will I buy a Duo eventually anyway just because it's so freakin cute? Probably. ;) Acid groove and arctic frost are both totally hot like fiyah.

Cristy
01-26-2006, 08:17 PM
you guys just got way too cool for me...

Phretys
01-26-2006, 09:51 PM
I knitted KP's felted iPod holder last summer or fall. It's for the iPod *MINI* which is what my daughter has. I like it because you can wear it around your neck and be hands-free. I believe the width of the pattern should be easily adjustable for other iPod sizes.

Debi

ecuzzacrea
01-26-2006, 10:02 PM
I have the iSkin Duo (http://www.iskin.com/duo_nano/features.html) case for when I'm going out. It's a great case. I have it in Blush Rush. It even glows in the dark.

i got one for Christmas and i love it too!

i have the Carbon Blast. =)

jessi_9783
01-27-2006, 02:13 AM
That's so cool. I mean we're both knitter's, we both have nanos, and we both have iSkin Duos. We are too cool.

jessi_9783
02-08-2006, 05:27 PM
I'm reviving this thread to let ya'll know that there is a felted iPod nano cozy that's worn around the neck in the new Knit.1 magazine. The Spring 2006 will be out on newsstands on Feb. 14.

knittingachiever
02-08-2006, 08:58 PM
I adapted this pattern from AlterKnits (a GREAT book) - it was originally for a PDA but it was easy to resize for an iPod. I love the little handle attached at only one end - I can slip it through a belt loop and button it shut. (*note WIP sweater for DH at lower right corner :D )

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d44/rachelabq/DSC_17148s.jpg

jessi_9783
02-08-2006, 11:35 PM
That's cute! Great Job! :thumbsup:

ecuzzacrea
02-09-2006, 08:34 PM
That's so cool. I mean we're both knitter's, we both have nanos, and we both have iSkin Duos. We are too cool.

i just noticed this. LOL

we are pretty cool. :roflhard:

hedgewick
04-17-2006, 09:31 AM
I've been lusting after the idea of an mp3 player for months because I just discovered podcasts and am now addicted. So, my Husband got me an ipod nano for Easter (what a good egg he is!). I LOVE it so far!! However, I'm a little scared that I'm going to lose or break it because it's so small. Anyone found a pattern for a knitted or felted (more sturdy?) case for this size? I was thinking if I make it a really bright color I won't lose it (maybe).

boyforpele13
04-17-2006, 10:20 AM
i wound up making the one from the Knit.1 magazine, but i modified it a bit. I used 2 strands of KP sock memories together and it came out something like this:

http://mysite.verizon.net/boyforpele/Music/cozy.JPG

that pattern called for 1 strand of WW, but with the 2 strands of sock, I got a really thick cushy case. I later went back and cut holes for the screen and wheel and then embroidered around them, but for some reason, don't have a pic of them. :(

enjoy your nano!!! he IS a good egg!

kemp
04-17-2006, 11:26 AM
this is going to sound random...I saw a great ipod case on someone's blog--I didn't try it but someone else on the board did and said it came out great. I love it b/c it includes a pocket for the ear buds--it's not felted though. If you want to search for it (this is the random part) google the words chocolate vodka and ipod or just go to this link:

http://chocnvodka.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2005/8/26/1172247.html

Those are so cute! Almost makes me want an ipod :)

hedgewick
04-17-2006, 02:04 PM
boyforpele13, I LOVE that! I've never felted anything before. Is it safe to cut into the center like you said you did? Doesn't it come undone or is felting like cloth once it's done? Sorry, I've never seen anything felted "in person" and am a little confused.

boyforpele13
04-17-2006, 02:11 PM
yes, once an item is felted, it becomes a solid piece of fabric and can be cut. i used like an exacto knife kinda deal so i could TRY to make a circle for the wheel, try being the operative. ;) it did come out okay, though, and then i just did like a runner stitch i guess around the circle and square i had cut more for embellishment, but that would also prevent any potential fraying. the pattern from knit 1 actually has you bind off stitches and pick them up again to make the space for the screen, but did not have the space for the wheel. the pattern from KP for the felted cozy was just obnoxious and i hated it, but that's where i got the cutting idea from. i kinda did a combination of the two patterns.

as for the felting, this would be a perfect first felting project for you because of the size of the item. it's felted in the sink and with the KP sock yarn felted VERY quickly (and was SO fun!) there WAS a chained lanyard cord for it, but it went down the drain of the bathroom sink during the felting process and i haven't remade it yet. ;)

boyforpele13
04-17-2006, 02:14 PM
and p.s. KP has many of their sock yarns $1 off a hank right now, 2.99 i believe. this was flower power in sock memories (my favorite and it's in clearance and if they don't bring it back, i'm boycotting them forever (yeah right)). the pattern in Knit.1 used Lion Wool, which I have yet to see in a store, but any WW feltable wool would do if you went that route.

boyforpele13
04-17-2006, 02:15 PM
p.s.p.s. i'm making another one this week out of my leftover manos del uruguay from the clogs and am going to do the screen hole per the K.1 pattern this time and will let you know how that works. :)

hedgewick
04-17-2006, 02:42 PM
Thanks a bunch! I'm definately going to check out K.1 and KP! I actually just got my first KP order in the mail today... shine worsted and it looks so nice! I'm going to start working with it tonight. I'll check out the sock yarn. How many skeins did you use for this in case I decide to order KP?

boyforpele13
04-17-2006, 03:35 PM
with two strands together, it's still just a small portion of a hank. you could get at least 2 cozies out of 1 hank, if not 3. the K.1 mag it was in was actually for Spring, not sure if it's still around. enjoy!

roxtarchic
04-19-2006, 02:47 PM
you guys just got way too cool for me...

HAH! :thumbsup:

my sista knit up an ipod cozy & felted it... she also made up her pattern as she went along.... (i think she based it on the ipod sock & the pattern above w/the pocket in the front).... so go on w/cha feltin

i knit up the one w/the pocket (but w/out the pocket) and wound up using it for my digital camera (and then dbf lost it... the sock... not the camera... whew)...