PDA

View Full Version : Circular Needle Question

TrekkerDee
01-26-2006, 12:08 AM
Hi,

I am attempting my very first knitted hat. I purchased 29 inch circular needles, but after knitting the round for a couple of hours, the hat looks like it is going to be way too big for my head. I checked at 3 different stores in my area, and they all sold only the 29 inch circular needles. My question is, which size circular do you use when knitting hats? I know that everyone has different size heads, but generally, what size is used?

Thanks!

brendajos
01-26-2006, 12:13 AM
i am sorry but the image of the size of your hat is making me giggle.

i generally use 16 inch circs. i have managed to make a 24 work but only on a felted hat. did you use yarn that can be felted? that is a possibility so that you won't have to frog it!

brendajos
01-26-2006, 12:16 AM
just to make you feel a littttttttttttttttle bit better i hope. i made a hat that even after felted was about that big around. no idea what happened there but it was GI-NOR-MUSSSSSSSSS ....even after felting...sheesh :rollseyes:

Julie
01-26-2006, 12:18 AM
I use 16" circs for hats too -- adult or children's, they're very versatile. For the longest time I couldn't find them anywhere locally, but a few months ago, our JoAnn store started carrying Clover 16" circs. :thumbsup:

nicolethegeek
01-26-2006, 12:34 AM
I use 16" circs and dpns when knitting hats in the round. The easiest place to get them here is at work {the nasty "W" word}. I'm not sure about in the US, but in Canada, most of them carry a decent selection of sizes... only one brand though {Red Heart or Boye depending on the store}.

Cristy
01-26-2006, 12:45 AM
I've only made one hat w/ circs but I used 16's also.

TrekkerDee
01-26-2006, 12:47 AM
Thanks so much for info!

As I read my post again, I had to laugh too. I don't think this hat would fit any human!!

Any ideas what I can make instead of the hat? The yarn can't be felted. What else can you make with circular needles besides hats?

Thanks again everyone!!

brendajos
01-26-2006, 12:56 AM
you can knit almost anything with circs. i only use circs...flat or circular knitting. if you have a pattern that calls for straight needles that you can use that yarn for, go for it!