PDA

View Full Version : OT but I had to show some one this picture

blueeyes28
01-26-2006, 11:38 AM
I am at my wits end with my almost 2 year old some and I don't how I am gonna survive the terrible two's he climbs everything we put a lock on the oven so then he started climbing up on the handle of the drawer and pulling the heating coils off my stove we took the handle off the drawer and now he is climbing everything else he is only about the size of a small 1 year old but it doesn't stop him !!!

Cristy
01-26-2006, 11:42 AM
OMG! Sounds like you need to put velcro on his shoes and the floor! LOL!

horve1
01-26-2006, 11:44 AM
He is gorgeous!!!! :inlove:

mouldydc
01-26-2006, 11:45 AM
You have an explorer / mountaineer on your hands there!

blueeyes28
01-26-2006, 11:45 AM
Thank you the cuter they are I think the more wild they are.

jodstr2
01-26-2006, 11:46 AM
ohhhh! :roflhard: I'm sorry for laughing because I know you're frustrated, but... that's so cute and funny!!! :D :roflhard:

feministmama
01-26-2006, 11:54 AM
put vaseline on stuff so he can't get a hold.

BonnieM
01-26-2006, 11:57 AM
What jodstr2 said :roflhard: What a cutie!!!

Vendie
01-26-2006, 11:59 AM
I can't help you out with your little one - my house is only dog-proofed, and they don't have thumbs, so it didn't take much.

But I did want to tell you - I LOVE that blue on your walls!! Very nice. Our living room is blue, but it's a little lighter and brighter....

blueeyes28
01-26-2006, 12:00 PM
here is another good one.

CarmenIbanez
01-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Wow. I've seen some climbers, but at such a young age! Is it cold where you live? Does he have something to climb outside?

I consider myself and all around knowledgable parent, but as I was reading your post I though, how the heck would I deal with that?

Just out of curiosity, is it something you reprimand him for? Or are you still in the prevention stage only?

He is a cutie though. The little ones are cute, its so that we don't kill them. :-)

BonnieM
01-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Good gravy! How do you keep him in his crib?

blueeyes28
01-26-2006, 12:12 PM
We try to reprimand for some things like being a center piece on the kitchen table and pulling the stove apart and then we try to prevent other stuff like being able to reach the burners on the stove and climbing the gate he has more balance then me!!!

blueeyes28
01-26-2006, 12:16 PM
he can't have any toys in his crib and I have to get up the second I hear him awake in the morning I am getting him a toddler bed soon but then we have the problem of keeping him in his room when every one is in bed (he is not afraid of the dark) my mom suggested we cut his bedroom door in half and lock the bottom half at night because he can't climb the door.

jodstr2
01-26-2006, 12:19 PM
aww. I don't have any advice, sorry. wish I did. my stepson came to live with us when he was 8 so I didn't have to deal with his climbing stage but he was a climber as well.... had no fear. one time, at his mom's... he was about 2 yrs old... just got back from the ER (stitches on his scalp after his sister hit him on the head with the edge of a frying pan) and promptly climbed up to the top of the entertainment center and fell off, hitting his head on the coffee table - yep, back to the ER. another time, he was 4.... riding in the back seat of a car when they went to the beach. car stopped, he opened the door, and ran out into the ocean. his mom told me all she could do was try to watch for it and stop him each time (easier said than done, I know).

Jax3303
01-26-2006, 12:24 PM
my now 6 year old was like that as a toddler. it was a nightmare! He learned how to climb out of his crib without falling :shock: at 16 months of age. as soon as he learned how to get out of his bed, we put him in a toddler bed. DH and I put a doorknob cover on the knob inside his room, and had to put a solid(non mesh no holes) tall baby gate up so he wouldn't wonder at night. (FIL built it, it was pretty much the bottom 1/2 of a door that we could remove easily from the door frame if needed)

blueeyes28
01-26-2006, 12:25 PM
The funny thing is he spent 2 months in the hospital after he was born because he was born too early 3 pounds 5 ounces with a birth defect that required 2 surgerys and 1 emergency surgery they told me that his motor skills and gross motor skills would be lacking and he should be caught up by the time he starts school!! :roflhard:

blueeyes28
01-26-2006, 12:26 PM
Aidan has only seen 1 door knob cover at the doctors office and had it figured out before I did!

jodstr2
01-26-2006, 12:29 PM
they told me that his motor skills and gross motor skills would be lacking and he should be caught up by the time he starts school!! :roflhard:

oh I'd say he's totally making sure he's all caught up before kindergarten! :D

Jax3303
01-26-2006, 12:30 PM
yeah, those things just slowed him down to escaping in 5 seconds instead of escaping in 2.....lol the half door/baby gate was our saving grace :)

blueeyes28
01-26-2006, 12:31 PM
I figure he will be in the circus by then :roflhard: ( his great grand father and great uncle were gymnists)

BonnieM
01-26-2006, 12:36 PM
Well, see, it's in the genes :roflhard:

KellyK
01-26-2006, 01:06 PM
MIL tells me similar stories about baby-DH. She had slide locks installed WAY up high on all the doors......he figured how to jimmie those with a broom handle! :shock:

brightspot
01-26-2006, 01:13 PM
You're going to have to buy him shorter toys to start with. :D

blueeyes28
01-26-2006, 01:21 PM
This is how he looked when he first started walking his outfit is size 3 to 6 months.

Amber
01-26-2006, 02:12 PM
Oh my gosh, you've certainly got to be on your toes, don't you??!! He's an adorable little monkey though!

Angelia
01-26-2006, 02:30 PM
Oh wow! I have only kitties, so I have no clue how to kidproof--but he sounds like he's a step ahead already! Gee whiz! You need to put him in his own little padded jungle-gym room so that he can climb to his wee heart's content!

dustinac
01-26-2006, 02:31 PM
awww how cute!!! Man, I remeber those days.. my ds is now 5 but thats how he was.. It was a nightmare and then he would try to fly off whatever he climbed on.. you think you have everything up where he can't find it to climb but they find ways... only thing we could do was secure everything to the wall and put locks up high (he found out how to climb, open the door during the summer)... I would say they do grow out of it but my son this past summer fell climbing his dresser so I don't know when they grow out of it.. but it makes us the mommies go GRAY!!

Chel
01-26-2006, 02:45 PM
I was a Nanny and Daycare provider for a long time and had more climbers than I care to remember... but I can offer up what worked best for me. Steffy was my worst climber. It began at 12 months and by 18 months (and a summer with Grandma) she was out of control.

I got a little step stool and made it our climbing stool. We took markers and colored it (and her!)and made a HUGE deal about the fact that it was special to climb on. I made it clear that Steffy could only climb on her climbing stool and put her in time out when ever she climbed on anything else inside. (outside was a totally different matter and I can not count how many heart attacks I nearly had trying to calmly snatch her off the top of the picnic table!!!)

I was very consistant and made sure I followed up with her every time she climbed on something inappropriate. Before she got out of time out I reminded her that climbing on anything but her "Climbing stool" was unsafe and she was not allowed to do it. I kept the stool in the room with me so I could watch her and later we kept it in the kitchen on the fridge. I asked often if she wanted to see or help with what I was doing on the counter and then we would make a bit of a fuss about getting her special stool down.

After about 3 weeks she was standing on the floor and pointing at the stool saying, "Eeeego?" Which was her way of saying, "Up we go!", since that was what I said when she stepped up on it.

Lengthy, but I hope it helps!
Chel

blueeyes28
01-26-2006, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the advice a lot of redirecting seems like the way to go.

knitncook
01-26-2006, 04:43 PM
This sounds so much like my 13. Good news, they grow out of it. She climbed up on top of the refrigerator when she was just 18 months old! About scared me to death. We had to go to a toddler bed about that same time because she could scale out of her crib.

gardenmommy
01-26-2006, 08:10 PM
Oh boy, he's a clever one!

That reminds me of a picture of one of my brothers when he was younger...he wanted something off the top of my dresser, so he pulled up a Sit & Spin and then bongo drums on top of the Sit & Spin center. My mom just happened to catch him in the act and take a picture, and this was at least 25 years ago, long before digital cameras!

Luckily m young 'uns haven't been climbers...but my youngest son liked to eat bugs. :rollseyes: