PDA

View Full Version : Knitting programs for PDAs?

gardenmommy
01-28-2006, 09:56 PM
My husband had bought himself a Palm somethingorother last spring, thinking it would function as his appointment calendar, etc. (we have a landscaping business). It hasn't. It's become a $400 paperweight.

So I may appropriate it for my own use. I thought I read someone put their knitting patterns on their PDA, but I wasn't sure if that was a specific program or if they just typed up their own document of their pattern and put it on there.

I'm not too famililar with the thing myself, so it will take some playing around with it.

jessi_9783
01-31-2006, 12:25 AM
Kristen I'm so sorry, I'm just now seeing this. If you have a Palm you a lot of options. Also if you own a PocketPC there isn't much available to you in terms of knitting software made specifically for the PPC. EKK is the only one I can think of right now and there isn't a desktop companion for the PPC version.I suggest you read this (http://www.palmsource.com/interests/knitting/) article. It's old but still relevant. I own both KnitAble and eKnit-Kards. I find that I use EKK a lot more than I do KnitAble. The advantage for getting KnitAble over EKK is that you can store your patterns on it. The advantage for getting EKK over KnitAble is it will keep a total cost of all yarn and a total cost for each project and it will automatically subtract balls for each project. For example:

Yarn Name| Weight| Color| Balls| Yds

Digit – Mary Sweat1| Fing| Brown| 10.0| 2000
Digit – John Hat2| Fing| Brown| 3.0| 600
Digit| Fing| Brown| 4.0| 800 (Master Record)

You can see that you have a total number of yarn balls of 17 and since they have 200 yards each, you have 3,400 yards of this color yarn available.

However, 13 balls are “allocated” to 2 projects.

But I've found that if you use CountAble, the ultimate row counter, you can put the pattern in the notes section and have your pattern right there and you never have to switch between the two programs. It works really well because you can have an unlimited amount of projects going and have your pattern there for all of them. If I could do it all over again I wouldn't buy KnitAble now because I hardly use it and it seems like a dead program because the developers haven't updated it since 2002. I only bought it because EKK didn't have a desktop version at the time. My advice is to demo both and when you finally choose the one that suits you best, buy the companion desktop software. Trust me you will thank my later.

Next, new Palms come with Adobe Acrobat. Dump it, it sucks! They also come with Documents To Go. That's fine, but recently DocsToGo has updated the software and now it handles PDFs. But it costs $29.95 for the update. I don't think it's worth it, you may feel differently. On the bright side I do have a FREE solution. It's called PalmPDF (http://www.metaviewsoft.de/en/Software/PalmOS/Freeware/PalmPDF/). The drawback is it works only on Palm OS 5 devices but it works beautifully. This is what Adobe should have gave us instead of that crap they developed. I love the program so I donated $10 to the cause.

On a side note, DO NOT try use all of this stuff without a SD card and backup software (http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=software.showsoftware&PartnerREF=&siteid=1&prodID=108028) because you will be out and about one day and your Palm WILL crash and you WILL lose all of your data. Not a big deal if you hotsync on a regular basis but it is if you haven't hotsynced for a day or two. Also, PalmPDF requires a SD card for the PDF files.

Well I hope that article and my dragged out post gives you a better idea of what you can do with you PDA. I've also used just about every program in the article so if you need anymore help or just want an opinion please PM me. I've owned four Palms since 1999 and I'm a real computer/gadget geek. If you feel more bombarded than informed, sorry! I tried not to be technical, but I'm really geeky.