PDA

View Full Version : Two firsts in one FO - my first sock! In lace!

kittiminx
01-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Well i can't help feeling a bit pleased with myself - i've finished my first sock!
I used a Heirloom pattern and thought plain st st would get pretty boring so... cast on for the lace version! It turned out ok looking and actually fits suprisingly well, considering i made a GAZILLION MISTAKES! I couldn't figure out how to frog the lace without losing the plot completely and i kept ending up with less stiches 'cause i would forget the yo somewhere so i just did extra increases whenever i realised one was missing :oops:
AND when i was doing the decreases for the instep, i accidently did them every round instead of every ALTERNATE round, (i only realised when i re-read the pattern!)
AND i decided 30 stitches around (in 4 ply on 3mm DPNS) was going to be too small for my big feet so only decreased to 44 which really left me confused at the toe cause it was all based off 'decrease until x stitches...' and my totals were all wrong! Whew, can't believe i got though to the end!
The real dilemma i have now is do i try and copy my mistakes for the second sock OR just make it as correct as i can (it already looks neater! lol)

Jeep_Girl
01-30-2006, 10:59 PM
Very Pretty!! :heart:

CateKnits
01-30-2006, 11:00 PM
Pretty! :cheering:

Ingrid
01-30-2006, 11:00 PM
Very impressive!!! :cheering: :cheering:

Lana
01-30-2006, 11:14 PM
The real dilemma i have now is do i try and copy my mistakes for the second sock OR just make it as correct as i can (it already looks neater! lol)

You did a super job. :thumbsup:

Anything that's suppose to have two the same,
I have to work at the same time so they come out similar in size. :rollseyes:
I think I'd do the gusset dec's the same on the second sock.

blueeyes28
01-30-2006, 11:20 PM
Love it :inlove:

HamaLee
01-30-2006, 11:24 PM
So pretty! I'm attempting my first sock and I bow down before you :notworthy: :notworthy:

gardenmommy
01-31-2006, 12:05 AM
Well I don't see a single mistake in them! It's beautiful!

Amber
01-31-2006, 12:08 AM
You'd never know you made any mistakes -- it looks absolutely lovely!

Danielle
01-31-2006, 01:00 AM
:cheering: It looks great! :thumbsup:

KellyK
01-31-2006, 01:26 AM
SOOOOOOOOO preeeetty!!! Love the picot edge, too!

Jan in CA
01-31-2006, 01:53 AM
I don't see any mistakes! It's beautiful and such a pretty shade of pink!

kittiminx
01-31-2006, 07:06 AM
awww, thanks so much for all the lovely comments - I forsee a sock addiction coming on with 2nd sock up to the heel and looking soooo much better than the first! I never knew they were so easy - it looks so complicated! That's a heads-up to all the sock virgins out there - give one a go! you can have sock joy too! I'll post pics of the pair when finished, and we'll see how uneven they are... lol!
actually i'm also pretty pleased with the top of the second sock - instead of folding over and sewing together at the end (as per the pattern) i tried picking up the cast on edge and knitting it together with the last row of st st before commencing pattern, and it worked beautifully, really smooth invisible join that isn't tight. (an old trick to you out there perhaps, but magic to me!)
so thanks again for the positive feedback (and i can't see the mistakes either, must be magic lace! :rofling: )

Ronda
01-31-2006, 07:45 AM
:cheering: I love it!

Lisa1216
01-31-2006, 09:17 AM
The lace is very pretty, and I love the color too. Can't wait to see the second one! :thumbsup:

feministmama
01-31-2006, 12:00 PM
Is that a kitty inspecting your work? :inlove: It looks just lovely. :cheering:

kemp
01-31-2006, 01:34 PM
Very pretty. Sock knitting is very addictive!

Jenelle
01-31-2006, 02:15 PM
Awesome sock! :cheering:

margie
01-31-2006, 02:21 PM
So beautiful!! You were brave to do that sock for your first one! It turned out great. :thumbsup:

Angelia
01-31-2006, 03:36 PM
Oooh, that is gorgeous! And congrats on your first sock!! :happydance:

earthchick
01-31-2006, 03:45 PM
Pretty! :inlove:

kittiminx
01-31-2006, 08:13 PM
So beautiful!! You were brave to do that sock for your first one! It turned out great. :thumbsup:

Brave or just plain foolhardy? :rofling: i can't tell!

and yes, that was my kitty 'inspecting', he loves my knitting! lots and lots of string! and pointy sticks that 'need' to be killed... :rollseyes: It gets kinda hard to knit with a kitty hanging on the end of your needle...

Angelia
01-31-2006, 08:54 PM
I feel your pain! Once, as I was working on a sock, one of my cats, who I thought was peacefully sleeping next to me, suddenly lept up, bit the dpn, and pulled it right out! :shock:

Pixywhispers
01-31-2006, 09:22 PM
Wow! Lace in the round as a first lace.

:notworthy:

Candace

kittiminx
01-31-2006, 10:56 PM
it wasn't as hard as i thought, i mean the pattern is a really simple one, i've never seen other lace patterns but they look much more complicated than the one i used which is just a repeating series of 8 stitches over 4 rows, and two of the rows are just knit!
example round 1 is just; *P1, sl 1, k1, psso, yf, k3, yf, k2tog. rep from * to end. and round 3 is *P1, k2, yf, sl 1, k2tog, psso, yf, k2; rep from * to end.
easy peasy! (and goes much quicker once memorised, at first i had to keep looking at the pattern and checking what came next, and i kept forgetting the yf and ending up with less stitches! (as in the gazillion mistakes lol) and also remembering which pattern row i'd done last, which got easier when i figured out what it looked like on the needle.
I figured out also that it's a good idea to count the stitches on the needle before starting the next round, cause i could frog back 1 row ok, it was only when i didn't realise until the next pattern round i was in trouble.
I think it was easier to learn lace in such a small item, i can imagine getting completely lost on a shawl or anything over 100 stitches!

Mer
02-01-2006, 12:27 AM
Great job! I'm working on my first pair of socks and wish I would have picked a lacy pattern or something more interesting. :rollseyes:

Pixywhispers
02-01-2006, 10:10 AM
Kitti,

Did you buy this pattern? I drifted off to sleep thinking about your pretty sock last night. You did a really good job.

And Ive been trying to decide whether to frog my bonnet, but I think Im gona just rip one row at a time and count it, like you did on the sock. But probably saving that for the olympics so Ill finish the darn thing.

Candace

Celine
02-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Your sock came out just beautiful!! Congratulations. I'm working on my very first pair too. I do enjoy it. :XX:

kittiminx
02-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Candace, i did buy the pattern so i guess that means i can't give you a copy?
and it's an australian yarn company so i'm not sure you'll be able to find it os either. However, (and somebody please let me know if i shouldn't post this please!) I think you could make your own socks up without the pattern, using the basic lace repeat instead of st st and just following a free pattern for the heel and toe, making sure that your stitches are a mulitiple of 8. The sock i made had 6 repeats of the lace and i think that's probably going to fit most people cause i have pretty big feet! (it only just fits me and i have size 41 feet euro)
I'm actually going to knit another pair cause i made so many mistakes in my first and i'm going to change the pattern to use the short row heel cause i want to learn that method.
If you want to try and find the pattern, title is 4 ply Socks, it says on the cover 4 ply argyle, Heirloom, 179. I think the number identifies the pattern?
Hope this helps anyway!

dustinac
02-01-2006, 10:00 PM
:inlove: very pretty you did a great job :cheering:

nanonette
02-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Very pretty!! Love the pink lace look!!