PDA

View Full Version : FO- Booga Bag!!!

mintdee
01-30-2006, 11:40 PM
Had to show off the Booga that I finished :happydance: I love it. My husband (who is supportive of my habit yet has always been pretty neutral about my knitting loved it :shock: ) While I was knitting it he said "It looks nice hunny but it is awful big and the spaces are to big to make a good bag."
After felting his first words were Wow! That made my day. I impressed my hubby :happydance: :happydance:
off to the homework
BTW Sophia wanted to model my bag for you all. ;)

Jenelle
01-31-2006, 12:02 AM
Love the color!!! :thumbsup:

And what an ADORABLE baby!! :inlove: :heart:

Amber
01-31-2006, 12:11 AM
I second the "wow!" Great colors!

Ingrid
01-31-2006, 12:17 AM
That turned out great!! :cheering: :cheering: Sophia, too! ;)

Danielle
01-31-2006, 12:58 AM
Great job, I love the colors! :thumbsup: adorable baby! :heart:
btw, mintdee, I've been meaning to tell you, I love your avatar!! Too cute! ;)

Ronda
01-31-2006, 07:48 AM
It doesn't look like Sophia is going to give the booga bag back to you! Nice job on the bag!

Lisa1216
01-31-2006, 09:13 AM
Very pretty. The colors are great. :thumbsup: Sophia's a cutie too! :heart:

Pensguys
01-31-2006, 09:16 AM
Great job!!!! Precious baby!

JENinIA
01-31-2006, 09:20 AM
Looks great! I am wondering though- is that the size of the actual booga pattern or did you change the dimensions? I am getting ready to start one so just wondering. Thanks!

mintdee
01-31-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks all! Yea it took me a few tries to get a pic of her and the bag because she kept playing with it. :roflhard:
I noticed that I was so excited about the bag that I forgot to add that the colors are WOTA mulled wine and mist, cascade 220. The handle is twisted then felted (I was to impatient for the i cord this time around hehehe)
With the dimensions I knitted 50 rows, CO 50 then picked up 150 stitches. I think that it is a great size for me. I only carry 1 small project with me along with my wallet so that size is great. I may add a canvas bottem to make the bottem stiffer, otherwise the bag is perfect! :thumbsup:

PurlyGyrl
01-31-2006, 10:38 AM
:cheering: Beautiful, both the bag and the baby. What a sweet face!

nanonette
02-05-2006, 11:14 AM
Great bag!! :heart: your adorable model!!

Mer
02-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Great job! And the little model is too cute. :D

Yvonne
02-05-2006, 01:42 PM
That's a fantastic bag. I love seeing all the boogas with the individual color choices. Each one seems unique.

Jan in CA
02-05-2006, 02:26 PM
That's a wonderful bag! My DH was extremely impressed with the felting process, too. ;)

You daughter is precious!

DotMom61
02-05-2006, 05:40 PM
The handle is twisted then felted (I was to impatient for the i cord this time around hehehe)

Sandra --

The bag is lovely!!! And that Sophia, what a cutie!!! OMgosh!

Would you mind sharing your method for the handle? I've got two more bags to go on my Oregon Tote knitting marathon, and I'd love to skip the i-cords on at least one of them. It looks like each color strand in the bags is more than one strand of yarn -- did you braid them or something???

mintdee
02-06-2006, 12:23 AM
I actually found a post Kimmie made about the handle that she does instead of the i-cord while I was hunting for booga sizes. Works great but if I had it to do again I would twist a bit tighter, or use all one color.

Twisted cord instructions:
Okay. First determine how many yards (or feet or whatever) of cord you want to wind up with and multiply that by 8.

So, for example, if you want to end up with 2 yards of cord, you multiply 2x8=16.

Take that number and pull that amount of yarn out of your skein. So, in my example, I'd pull out 16 YARDS of continuous yarn.

Fold that in half (now I have 8 yards).

Fold it in half again (now I have 4 yards).

Tie a knot at one end.

Secure the knotted end somewhere. Either have somebody who loves you dearly hold one end, or place it over a hook. It doesn't really matter how you secure it, but you just don't want that end to move.

Now, holding the other end, stand across the room from the secured end and twist, twist, twist, twist (yawn) twist, twist a whole bunch. Keep doing this until the yarn is quite twisted. You can do this more or less to your liking.

When you feel it has twisted enough, match up your end to the secured end and the cord should twist and double over itself. Sometimes at this point you have to kind of help it along to make it all even. Don't let go of your end or everything will untwist.

If you are happy with the way the cord (rope) looks, then tie both of the ends together in one bigger knot (the secured end & the end you were holding). Now you should have about a 2 yard cord.

I have felted the cords (as I did for the Booga Bag) or used them unfelted. Whatever you like!

Hopefully that made sense. After all that explaining, I wonder if Amy already has a video up or something that would make that even more clear.

Good luck!
kimmie

Worked wonderfully and really did go so fast and if I had to do as many bags as you have been I would twist cord as well. I can not imagine :shock: :roflhard:
I made the two yard cord and felted it.

DotMom61
02-06-2006, 12:45 AM
Thanks, Sandra! That sounds easy enough, and I think I MIGHT just have to do that for my next set of handles. I always procrastinate on the handles. This might just be the incentive I need to get the next two bags done quickly.

OK ... off to CAST ON! ;-)

Angelia
02-06-2006, 09:32 AM
That bag is gorgeous! :inlove: I wish I'd seen this post yesterday before I started the I-cord for the bag I'm doing. :rollseyes: But I'm not undoing the two feet I've knit already; I'll save the twisting for later.

And that Sophia!! Perfect model! :heart:

dustinac
02-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Great job on the bag I love the colors!!! :thumbsup:

Sophia is soooo cute!!!!

meg
02-11-2006, 10:43 PM
beautiful! it looks like she will be able to fit a lot of important things in her new bag. all the essentials: blocks, barbies, princess shoes... perfect!

mintdee
02-12-2006, 12:58 AM
:roflhard: yea Thats about right to!

Thanks for the compliments all :thumbsup:

jamadian75
04-12-2006, 12:05 PM
I may add a canvas bottem to make the bottem stiffer, otherwise the bag is perfect! :thumbsup:

I too have given in to the booga craze - can you tell me how you're going to do the canvas bottom? I think I'll be more likely to use my if the bottom is pretty secure...and if it was lined.

ALSO - Does anyone know good links or tips to line this? Seems like it would be hard to do with something knit in the round.

Thanks! GREAT job! :heart: that adorable handbag model too!

VictoiseC
04-12-2006, 01:44 PM
I too LOVE THOSE COLOURS...what a great combo. Thanks for posting what they are! :thumbsup:

loveswildflowers
04-12-2006, 05:18 PM
I love it! I really like how you used the twisted handles and those colors are beautiful together. Way to go!

Sue Madelin
04-12-2006, 05:43 PM
ALSO - Does anyone know good links or tips to line this? Seems like it would be hard to do with something knit in the round.

I too would like anyone else's tips on lining a bag - the only way I've thought of (but not actually tried :oops: ) is to make the lining into an inner bag in its own right and then stitch it to the knitted bag around the inside top. Does that make sense to everyone else? :?? I know what I mean ;) Not sure if it would be just too tricky to get the lining bag the right size tho.

DotMom61
05-06-2006, 12:11 PM
I'm a little late w/ this reply, but this pattern (http://www.knitpicks.com/Projects/Projects_Display_Yarn.aspx?itemid=50441220&yarnid=5420129) at Knitpicks has an interesting way of doing the lining.

margie
05-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Love the booga!! I think Sophia needs one of her own, now! Those beautiful eyes get me every time! :inlove:

jamadian75
05-06-2006, 07:18 PM
I'm a little late w/ this reply, but this pattern (http://www.knitpicks.com/Projects/Projects_Display_Yarn.aspx?itemid=50441220&yarnid=5420129) at Knitpicks has an interesting way of doing the lining.

Thank you! Now I only have to worry about going to a craft store for a canvas lining and actually making it out of there with JUST the canvas lining. :rollseyes:

;)

DotMom61
05-06-2006, 09:23 PM
:roflhard:

Yes, that can be a problem, can't it?! Good luck & let us know how it works out!!

Angelia
05-07-2006, 12:13 AM
And if it does work out, PLEASE share your secret! :shock: