PDA

View Full Version : Cats & Yarn

VickiIL
01-31-2006, 10:03 AM
Those of you with cats, How do you keep your cats out of your yarn? My cats have been "hunting" and "killing" my yarn for the last few weeks. I have tried everything to keep them out! I bought a cabinet with drawers that works fairly well until my stash grew to such a size that it would no longer fit. Only once did this fail to stop Ophelia & Oliver from killing yarn. And this time she did a good job of it. I had a tiny ball of angora waiting to make a pair of booties from Last Minute Gifts and I guess the bunny smell was too much for her. Because Ophelia managed to open the drawer and steal my angora. She "killed" it all night until in the morning I had nothing but pieces! Nothing else has enticed her enough to open drawers again...

Now that my stash is in two baskets besides this cabinet she has been yarn hunting nightly! I have tried covering the baskets with blankets at night but she has rose to the challenged and is burrowing under the blankets. I have been looking for something with a lid that would be large enough to hold both of theses baskets of yarn but they are so expensive. And this stays in my family room so a rubbermaid wouldn't be all that attractive. But at this point that is the ONLY thing I can think of to keep her out.

kitkat
01-31-2006, 10:17 AM
Actually, other than the fact that you don't want Kitty destroying or sucking on your yarn because its YOUR yarn and not hers, the bigger concern is that cats cannot spit out something. So if she starts to swallow a string, unless she horks it up, it will go down, and can possibly get tangled in her intestines and cause some problems. Ditto dogs. I had a scare with my dog in this.

Unfortunately your best solution is a rubbermaid container - I know we love having our yarn out to fondle but I have learned with my two "helpers" that it just isn't worth it.

PurlyGyrl
01-31-2006, 10:18 AM
Hi, Vicki! No suggestions about keeping the wiley little darlings out of your yarn stash. :thinking: Hmmmm-since your stash is in the family room, how about a pinic basket with lids that fold out? I have one that is lined so no snagging and the lids close up and it has a little peg you put through a loop to "lock" it. I have a dog that does the same thing-stalks and kills yarn. In her case, I think she actually JEALOUS of the yarn--takes attention away from her.! :rofling:

margie
01-31-2006, 10:42 AM
Vicki, my cats like to get into my yarn occasionally too, although not to the extent of yours!! A friend of mine gave me a beautiful set of boxes for Christmas- they are decorative square boxes with lids, and they stack. I am using them to keep some of my things in- mostly the things I am working on at the moment, and I keep all my other stash upstairs in a couple of those plastic 3-drawer rubbermaid-type things.

Angelia
01-31-2006, 10:57 AM
I keep mine hidden because this bunch will play with and eat anything. Ours can open cabinet doors and do regularly, so those kinds of hiding places just aren't safe enough. Target has Sterlite clear drawer containers for cheap; you might consider keeping your yarn in something like that. (You can see it, but they can't open the drawers!)

And yes, yarn in the intestines is a definite concern. One of my mother's cats had to have an operation to remove dental floss she'd swallowed. It was scary, and VERY expensive.

Good luck--it sounds like you've got a couple of real bounders of adventure! (The angora story had me laughing as I pictured Ophelia "killing" it! :roflhard: :roflhard: )

candicane
01-31-2006, 11:20 AM
I came home to a yarn mess just yesterday. I had left a small ball in an open basket. Georgie (a high-energy cat) had a great time and I found the yarn in the living room, up the stairs, wrapped around the railing, over the baby gate and back into the living room. This is what happens when I am careless and leave stuff out. He has also been known to chew on bamboo needles. The rest of the yarn is in a really big picnic basket with lid.

Candice

tab
01-31-2006, 11:51 AM
Here are my two cents.
You could get a box with a lid heavy enough that they can't lift it. If you're handy that way, you could even make one yourself.
You could go with the rubbermaid container and cover it with a big cloth and use it as a table when you aren't getting yarn out of it.
You could keep your yarn in a chest or box that latches. I can just imagine a treasure chest full of yarn. :inlove:

feministmama
01-31-2006, 11:53 AM
OY! what a mess. Hey how bout this? Get the plastic containers (wait for a sale at Target) then put some pretty paper on the inside so it won't look so junky. :thinking:

sogrammatical
01-31-2006, 02:06 PM
If you have cabinets that have doors with handles, you can try looping a rubber band or a hair tie around the handles to keep them closed. We used to have a problem with our cat "killing" all our rolls of toilet paper (you try using some that's been pre-shredded!) so we put a hair tie around the handles and kitty can't open them anymore.

Jenelle
01-31-2006, 02:12 PM
I have that problem too. I have a rubber maid container that I put all my yarn in, and my needles go in my dresser drawer. I can only think of getting a rubber maid container.. and maybe stashing it somewhere in your room so that the cats can't get to it?

VickiIL
01-31-2006, 02:15 PM
I pretty much agree that a rubbermaid is my only solution unless I want to pay out big money. Do you think you could "upholster" a rubbermaid to make it look ok?

Jenelle
01-31-2006, 02:20 PM
Yeah. Maybe take an old table cloth over them to make them look like stands and use them to put your lamps on them?

Or maybe put an old blanket or sheet? :??

dominicanbaby111
01-31-2006, 02:24 PM
Hey guys! :lol: got any problems :thinking:

Jan in CA
01-31-2006, 02:44 PM
What about a trunk or footlocker? Some of them are attractive to begin with or they can be made to be more attractive and also have more room for more stash growth! ;) :roflhard: Not cheap like rubbermaid but look nicer for a living room or wherever.

http://www.stacksandstacks.com/html/product95_0.htm
[/url]http://tinyurl.com/a3t7a[/url]
http://www.trunkoutlet.com/
http://tinyurl.com/86gvu

andshewas
02-05-2006, 01:39 PM
i use a box called a Kartotek from ikea.
I think it's pretty enough to leave out in the open.

it does kind of feel like a treasure chest, now that you mention it!

sweet!

Jan in CA
02-05-2006, 02:01 PM
That's a neat box! You could decoupage it or paint it or whatever.. If it's strong enough you could put a cushion or two on it..cats love to sit on stuff! Great idea!

VickiIL
02-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Thanks everyone. I actually had a blanket chest I was using for our afghans. I emptied that out and put my yarn in there. We are now using the chest as our coffee table. Works out nicely. I was surprised to see I nearly filled the trunk! I warned my DH that looking inside might not be a great idea! :shock:

Angelia
02-05-2006, 03:40 PM
At least you're brave enough to put all of your yarn in one place! My dh, well, let's just say he only sees HALF of what I have...The only chest we have around here is cedar, and I don't want my yarn to smell like that. It's pleasant in small doses, but a little of it goes a looooooong way.

I love that IKEA chest! It has great possiblities...