PDA

View Full Version : FO: My first gift and I am so upset, help!

butterflymama
02-01-2006, 11:52 PM
Okay so this is the 4th thing I have ever knitted. One was a fun fur scarf, then a dishcloth and then a baby hat. I starting knitting a couple of weeks ago and I decided to make this for a friend's daughter but there is a flaw. I really have no idea how it happened...I guess the stitches are funky from a decrease or a ssk. :crying: I really don't think I can give it as a gift now that there is a flaw! I mean, it should be perfect or else I am saying here is my junk, right? :crying: I wanted to be so dern proud of it!!! How frustrating!

Does anyone know a magic way to fix it? Or can let me borrow their magic wand?

Here is picture.

Ingrid
02-02-2006, 12:00 AM
I can't really say I see a flaw. She certainly won't. I've been knitting for a long time, and I've knit many things. None of them is perfect. If you expect your 4th project to be perfect, you're putting waaaaaay too much pressure on yourself!

Consider it a hand made design feature and leave it at that! You took your precious time to make something--don't feel it has to be perfect. Even Persian rug makers make a mistake on purpose so the gods won't be offended.

Don't be so hard on yourself! Knit because you enjoy it and give it out of love. If you think you'll be criticized because it's not perfect, then maybe that person doesn't deserve your efforts.

;)

ecuzzacrea
02-02-2006, 12:15 AM
i do not see a flaw either.

i think you did a great job!

if Ingrid can't see it i think you're doing pretty good. LOL :rofling:

Amber
02-02-2006, 12:20 AM
Gosh, I don't see any funky stitches or flaws. It looks beautiful -- such a pretty color!

I would proudly give it to your friend's daughter -- I'm sure she'll be thrilled!

Jan in CA
02-02-2006, 12:30 AM
Nope, I don't see it either. Love that color!

misstialouise
02-02-2006, 12:35 AM
What flaw...

Where?

butterflymama
02-02-2006, 12:41 AM
Here are 2 closer pics of the flaw. It is more noticeable in person. What does it look like I did wrong?

The friend is a sweetheart....I am the perfectionist.

margie
02-02-2006, 07:14 AM
Really, really, really. It doesn't look that bad. I can' tell from the picture what happened- but you can hardly see it. If the stitch is sticking up, maybe you can take a bit of yarn and tack it down so it isn't as noticable to you. Try not to be so hard on yourself! You did a great job.

Quietheart
02-02-2006, 07:26 AM
Have you washed this yet? Sometimes a stitch will get stretched out when working and washing will "remind" it where it belongs :)
Or as was said, you could go under and tack it how you want and weave in any ends.

Kath

KellyK
02-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Yup....washing and/or blocking does WONDERS!

And, like everyone else, I was like, "What is she talking about???" It looks GREAT! :cheering:

dustinac
02-02-2006, 09:04 AM
I think it looks wonderful and if you have to zoom in that much her eye won't even catch it.. you know its there cause ya knitted it but she won't.. I say give it to her she will be thrilled :cheering:

kitkat
02-02-2006, 09:04 AM
Honestly, I don't see it. It looks great!

Ingrid
02-02-2006, 09:12 AM
There's a little hiccup there--it happens. If it really is making you crazy, you could knit a little flower or something to cover it up.

If you want it gone completely, you'd have to unravel the whole thing and reknit. It is possible to correct errors with a crochet hook, but that far down will probably make the whole line look different.

Lisa1216
02-02-2006, 09:45 AM
I made a scarf for my mom for Christmas and I ended up with some sort of twisted stitch that made a small hole. I did what alot of others have said to do. I took a piece of yarn and split it into just a few threads so it wouldn't be so bulky, and brought the edges of the stitches together on the back. I had to try it a few times until it actually wasn't so noticable. The end result wasn't perfect, but at least it evened out the row and somewhat closed the hole. Unless you point mistakes out to someone, they usually won't notice them!

Darhain
02-02-2006, 11:34 AM
I absolutely agree with everyone else -- it's not a big deal and your friend will probably not notice. If it's really that much more noticeable IRL, I definitenly think you could knit a flower or something and sew it on over the flaw and that would be a great "fix". How about some funky little patchwork type squares and some sequins and ribbon in a couple of different spots on the shirt, to kinda make a really sumptuous "crazy quilt" look? :)

Great job on your fourth project! And don't be so hard on yourself!

feministmama
02-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Is that the only flaw? If so then you're way ahead of me! Great job! I would be so thrilled to get a gift like that.

Angelia
02-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Wow, I think it's lovely! :cheering:

And I'm with Femmy--if that's the only flaw, then you should be pleased, particularly for your 4th FO ever! :heart:

Block it, and then if the hole still shows, tack it; it doesn't look like it will take much to put the stitch right.

butterflymama
02-02-2006, 01:09 PM
Thanks everyone! I think it is more noticeable irl erspecially because it is right in front. That pic was it drying from blocking and it still shows.

Can someone direct me to a small flower pattern? I found some but they are huge, especially on a little top.

Secondly, how would I tack it to make it better?

Angelia
02-02-2006, 08:00 PM
OR, you could do a duplicate stitch over that stitch and maybe one or two around it. Just use yarn on your tapestry needle to mimic the stitches; just follow them for a couple of rows--this is the same thing you do for weaving in ends. Amy demonstrates it here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php). The video is for the duplicate stitch join, but if you watch how she weaves in the ends, it's the same technique you'd be doing. It's worth a try, anyway, and will work like tacking, only more natural looking. (Maybe even undetectable if you keep your tension the same as in your knitting!)

Ingrid
02-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Duplicate stitch. (http://www.craftsmensstudio.com/dupstitch.html)

More duplicate stitch. (http://www.sweaterscapes.com/dup-st.htm)

Cristy
02-02-2006, 08:58 PM
I think it looks great too. I am working on a scarf for dh (slowly...) and there is a place that is driving me crazy where I joined in my new strand of yarn...so I understand how you feel. In all honesty...I have a small child and I would be honored for someone to give me something like that! You really did do great--try not to be so hard on yourself...several folks can tell you that I'm the same way...I really beat myself up. I am learning to go with the hand-knitted feature train of thought...

Angelia
02-02-2006, 09:00 PM
:heart: Cristy ;)

Ingrid: Those links are great! You da woman! :thumbsup:

Barefootmama
02-02-2006, 09:06 PM
I really think it looks beautiful and you should still give it to her. :)

Ingrid
02-02-2006, 09:10 PM
I totally agree! The other options are there to make YOU happy. The recipient will love it!

butterflymama
02-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Thank you for the links!

And thanks everyone for the cheering up. I think I will go ahead and give it to her. If it were anyone else I would think they were insane and that they should give it to the recipient....I am just incredibly hard on myself and an anal perfectionist. :lol: But, aside from the flaw and I am proud that I actually made it in time. I started a week ago and finished a few days early! With 2 babies in tow so I could only knit at naps and bedtime....maybe I will play that up and use that as my excuse...."but I was sooo tired when I was knitting." Something like that. :rofling:

Angelia
02-02-2006, 10:17 PM
She'll LOVE it--it's gorgeous! The flaw is undetectable unless you're up close, and even then it's very wee. Feel good about this piece--you did great work! :thumbsup:

knitbebe
02-03-2006, 01:26 AM
I am totally impressed that this is your 4th project!!! Stitch & Bitch Nation has a couple of patterns for flowers. Epstein (not sure if name is correct) knitting on the edge has several flowers, many to choose from.

Flowers are so much fun to knit!!

Have fun with it! :cheering:

knitbebe

Jenelle
02-03-2006, 01:28 AM
I wouldn't really worry about that tiny flaw... You can't really tell unless you are like an inch away from it so I wouldn't worry.

Great job on it though :thumbsup: