PDA

View Full Version : Koolaid versus cake dyes

gardenmommy
02-04-2006, 03:31 PM
The cake/paste/Wilton brand type dyes produce "stronger" colors right? Is the process otherwise still the same as when using Koolaid?

Julie
02-04-2006, 06:29 PM
I used both of them together (on the same skein, same method) and it turned out great. :D

gardenmommy
02-04-2006, 07:03 PM
What's the best place to find instructions?

Picked up a skein of Bernat Lana in natural, now kicking myself for not using my 40% coupon at Joann's for a larger skein of LB Fisherman's Wool, but I still have a coupon left, I'm just not sure when I'll get back to town. I'm pretty sure that would be feltable, it says hand wash, right?

http://cache.lionbrand.com/yarns/fisher.htm

Or since it still has lanolin would it not take dye or felt as well?

Arugula
02-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Not sure about the fisherman's but I know my colors are just as vibrant with koolaid as with Wilson's. The benefit of Wilson's is the greater range in color available. They don't make brown koolaid last time I checked :rofling:

Arugula
02-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Oh, I forgot to say that I like the knitty.com instructions best. Just look in the archive and scroll down until you see the dyeing with koolaid instructions.

countingsheep
02-11-2006, 10:22 AM
I know that the LB fisherman's will felt! My DD was trying to be helpful and threw something into the dryer that was knitted from this - it's only slightly felted as I was able to rescue it.

I have no idea about the color issue but it will felt. It was kinda funky feeling to knit with - probably the lanolin or something.

Keep us posted on your progress! Good luck!

Angela